THR Take a deep breath! Jump in!

Day 10: Sleepy, sleepy, sleepy. Other than my one visitor first thing, it's been a really quiet day. Mostly OK since I'm so sleep deprived right now but the day is feeling a bit long. Had a bit of a mini-crisis--somehow managed to disconnect the remote control for the power recliner--when I was reclined in the chair. OOPS! Managed to catch a neighbor before she left for Mass and she came and reconnected everything but man did I feel helpless. Don't like that feeling. If I were able bodied I would have clambered out of the chair but...not today. Frustrating but also kinda funny. Thought I might try cooking a simple meal tonight but I'm just too tired so I'll nuke something from the freezer. A bit down, a bit bored--and also counting my blessings that I have good neighbors and good friends.

@gertie this too shall pass! You won't have mobility issues and you will be independent again. Just a small space of time to allow your body to recover. Then it's a lifetime without hip pain.

Good idea about nuking a meal. That's why we recommend stocking the freezer pre-op. But soon you will be cooking again.

@gertie, I'll bet that felt frustrating about disconnecting the remote for the electric chair. I never go anywhere without my phone, just for reasons like that, and I live with my husband, not alone. He is gone a lot, so it's almost like living alone. My sister lives next door, so I can always call on her to come rescue me in situations like that. It takes months before we can be independent after this major surgery, and we just have to get through it without damaging ourselves. We had surgery the same day, and I'm still in rehab. Can't imagine cooking myself a meal. Glad you have something to just heat up!

Good morning all. I slept better last night--hurrah! My only issue last night was low back pain part way through the night. I'm used to sleeping on my back--like to sleep that way in fact and don't usually have back pain but something was off with my pillow stacking. Anyhow, sorted it out and went back to sleep.

The low back pain is going to be an issue since lots of sitting aggravates my low back--no serious problem just muscles that don't like to sit for too long and the lumbar support on this rental recliner hits my back in a funny way.

But it's a beautiful day here and a friend said she'd come by this afternoon and accompany me on a brief stroll down the driveway.

@gertie put a pillow under your knees when you sleep on your back. It relieves the pressure on your lumbar spine.

Enjoy your walk outside!

Thanks @Jaycey The pillow under the knees doesn't work for me because of my arthritic knees. I've tried pillows under the entire lower leg, graduated incline, etc. and found that the best thing is to get the back pillows organized right. I suspect that this lower back thing is going to be an issue for a while because of sitting more in the day and all the realignment that happened with the new hip.

@gertie I do the pillow long ways at night, a little oblong one, stolen from the couch. I definitely can feel that panic, glad everything is ok. A friend at work is alarmed about next week me being alone, that I need the life line thing. So I just put my phone on me, like under the waistband. I won't be planning anything extravagant while husband at work, just being safe. Pretty mobile, I am to keep walker by me per Doctor. I go see the OS first time Wednesday, hoping for a good report. You seem to be doing very well!

Hello @gertie Just want you to know that I also am in the same place as you regarding sleep. Time change did not help but last night I did not sleep a wink. Trying to rest as much as possible during day but things still need to get done. I just do them in short spurts. Also, this left hip has never felt well seated in place. Painful at first and still not exactly like right hip. How many different ways can they put you back together. Right? Also, I have lower left back ache I believe as a result of my hips being evened out. Anyone experience this? Now that my bones are fixed, my muscles don't know how to behave. Last visit the OS said people are adjusting to their hips for months sometimes after surgery so I am not too concerned. Just need to take a day at a time. Also, Last time PT said that pushing walker is a sign you are progressing well. We are all in this together!

Hello @gertie Now that my bones are fixed, my muscles don't know how to behave. Last visit the OS said people are adjusting to their hips for months sometimes after surgery

So agree with this. I really think the right quad issue i have stems from this exact thing. My OS actually put me back together in a way that will eventually make me right. I hope lol.

Sleep whenever you can. Not like we got much else to do. ALL sleep, even short naps, is restorative. I am going to ask OS this week if we can up to a stronger pain pill just for night. My problem is waking from pain. I was the one that asked to be put on the milder norco anyway. They work fine daytime when mostly resting but i think something stronger at night will help with sleep. Be nice to sleep more than two hours in a row .. even tho happy to get that!

@SwimGirl I do have good friends. I think they've dubbed themselves the "Hip Team". However, I also know that this level of attention won't continue--nor should it. They have busy, complicated lives and I'm getting better. So I think there will be a stretch of time, especially as I gain energy but can't yet drive, when I'll have to get really creative about how to pass the time.

I'm sorry to hear that this hip is feeling harder than your first hip. When do you have a follow up with the OS? My first post op appt is Friday.

@gertie I follow up tomorrow. Just cannot imagine why it feels so different form the right hip. X-rays will be taken like before. My family says they remember that at this point I was shuffling along the same last time.
Guess I just want to be all better at once. If I think back to PT, I was in an absolute panic when he took me off walker and held my waist with a belt and said walk to the mirror. What? The exercises helped but it does take time. Just need to remember.

thanks for the pillow suggestion @Postalgal And yes, my phone is always in my pants or shirt pocket. YOu'll do fine on your own.

I still feel like I want to use the walker--I am mostly pushing it along but I do put a little weight on my right hand when I step with my left, op leg. That's probably what I'd do with a cane or single crutch but the walker provides welcome stability right now.

@SwimGirl Oh, I can imagine the anxious feeling when first letting go of the walker. As I said in the post above, I am still putting some weight through my right hand when I step with the left leg. Partly because of the leg length thing--feels really weird. Good luck with your appt tomorrow.

@tamra Hard to sit and do nothing. Remember this is my second hip. I was only walking and driving for two weeks before I was back to square 1 so I am getting ready to break out of my shell. I should view it as a mini vacation I suppose. The church has provided enough food that we are set for another week so I can't complain.:kittymilk: So I should be a happy cat! Try to get some sleep. Good luck with pain pills. I hope they work for you.

:loll:@gertie Thank you! After you go to OS appointment we can compare notes!

@Miss Muffet No kidding! It takes a lot of energy to recover from surgery! I kept thinking....why am I so tired?
Sleep is healing! Hope you are all packed for your big day! Long awaited I am certain. I loved waking up in the recovery room knowing it was all done! Confused but done! You are almost there! :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back