THR Take a deep breath! Jump in!

@Miss Muffet It goes beyond tired. I'm just so sleepy--all I can do to keep my eyes open--and I often don't! The problem is that when I'm napping in my chair or on the couch I get airplane head--you know that thing where your head flops forward when you start to fall asleep. I probably should just go to bed but these naps happen spontaneously--reading and then bam, I"m literally nodding off.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day 11: Fatigue big time. I slept better last night but am dragging today. It's possible I'm being more active today. I'll settle into the chair but then think of something I want from the kitchen or just feel like I need to move. I also threw a load of laundry in the machine (and will soon need to go transfer to the dryer). Also wonder if I need to do a better job of staying hydrated. Had talked with a friend about going for a walk down the driveway but in the end we sat in the living room and visited. Laundry is enough for me for today.

Pain: Pain in op hip is minimal but other aches are making themselves known on un-op side--realignment I think.

Mobility: Improving
 
Even at 5 weeks I still take 1 hour naps in the afternoons so indulge yourselves in these well-deserved naps while you're healing! I've been setting new FitBit walking records. Today I helped with canvassing for a political campaign and walked over 4000 steps. Work that new hip!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ah my poor forgotten Fitbit. I stopped wearing it when my hip deteriorated in July. I should dig it out so I can measure progress.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@Miss Muffet I use those neck pillows to prop up while reading or watching TV but they've never kept my head from flopping forward when I fall asleep. But I remember seeing something on a Google search once that looked promising when I was looking for something else. Wish I'd bookmarked it!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Day 12: A little less tired today but also think I've been moving around a bit less. PT was here this morning and continues to say that anything other than walking and gentle exercises can wait until more healing has happened--a BoneSmartie at heart. She accompanied me on a walk down the driveway--felt good to get outside in the sun, even briefly. All seems to be proceeding smoothly.

Got sobering news about a work colleague today--she just found out she has a brain tumor--no details yet but still I doubt there's much that's positive there. Puts things into perspective and makes me appreciate my strong body which is going about the business of healing (even if I am impatient).

Pain and mobility about the same as yesterday.
 
2 weeks since surgery
I was in a recovery funk this morning. When the in-home PT arrived at 9 I was definitely throwing myself a pity party, sick of being dependent on others, of feeling old as I push the walker around, of feeling unattractive with my unwashed hair (still hadn't figured out the shower stuff and no visit yet from an OT), blah, blah.

The PT was great, smiled and nodded while I blubbered and then essentially said well let's get moving. So, here's what I did:
--I stepped in and out of the shower (tub/shower combo) to prove to myself I could do it. I still don't feel OK about showering standing up by myself so we figured out a temporary solution with the shower bench (long story) that allowed me to wash my hair for the first time in over a week. Hopefully by next week I'll feel confident about standing in the shower.
--She showed me some moves I can make to safely get things out of low places. Feels a little scary but there's hope that I will be less dependent soon.
--Started doing some gentle range of motion exercises that will eventually make it possible to clip my own toenails and put on socks without that sock thingie--baby steps but steps in the right direction.
--Walked down the hall with a cane and it felt fine. Not a big surprise since I've been pushing the walker around with one hand for a couple of days now. Right now the cane is for indoors and walker still for my really uneven front walk/driveway but soon maybe...
--My incision area felt really lumpy this morning--I figured and she confirmed that most of the swelling has gone way down and the lumpiness is just some residual swelling around the incision.
--She prescribed that I get out of the house over the weekend so I called a friend and said "spring me!" even if it's just for a drive. So, maybe an outing of some sort on Sunday.

2 week post op visit with a surgeon's asst tomorrow.
 
@gertie, sorry for your funk! Sounds like your PT visit helped with your mood. And there's nothing like having plans to make a person feel better. My 2 week post-op visit was today, and all was well, will post about it tomorrow. Hope yours is a good one, too!
 
@gertie. We all get in a funk. We just don't always announce it. I feel like life is so unfair sometimes...I have a real pity party and then I have to think ......it could be worse. It is only then that I can begin to appreciate my life. I have to say that a shower makes you feel alive again! You are so much happier when your hair is clean and you don't smell like sweat! I just recently started with a cane but use walker still at night for stability. Saw PT again for eval on left hip. Seems I am still swollen somewhat. At 2 weeks still icing as needed. I am going stir crazy for sure. Yes, I can drive but I still have to walk when I get out. I think getting out of the house is a good thing for you. The fresh air and sunshine will lift your spirits! Remember you are not alone!! We all get to enjoy the after effects of surgery...and.....we all recover at our own pace!:kittykiss:
 
Thanks @SwimGirl I think the funky moods are part of the process right? I laughed about it all with a friend later as I said I'd been feeling like a refugee from a bad nursing home with my unwashed hair sticking out in every direction and my dumpy, (but comfortable) clothes and the walker.

Went out today for my 2 week check up and all looks good. Use cane as comfortable, get as much activity as comfortable, etc. And to honor the occasion I put styling stuff in my hair and wore nice clothes and put in earrings. I was given permission to drive in 2 weeks and that's fine. Maybe I can drive myself to my next check up. But right this moment I think I'm too easily fatigued to drive far. And good point about what you do at the other end of your drive!
 
Yesterday passed in an exhausted haze. I think it was probably a response to the trek to the OS office the day before (40 min drive each way, big building to navigate, lots of sitting and waiting). Hip itself didn't suffer but fatigue amped up.

On the plus side, a friend came by for coffee in the morning and we went for a walk down the drive, across the street and a bit down that street. I had a FaceTime call with friends and relatives in England (dropping into a birthday lunch to say hello to everyone gathered there). And I cooked a simple pasta supper for myself. And then fell into bed at 8 p.m.

Hoping for a bit more energy today.
 
I have a question for folks further along: Anyone use Nordic walking poles as you start walking further? They look like they'll help with stability and take some weight off my achy knees and recovering hip but they are a bit of an investment.
 
@gertie, for the few years before I had my THR in July 2015, when I had the developing hip pain, I used trekking poles frequently as my walking aides. I discovered them when backpacking a long time ago, and then started using them in my everyday life, as pain got worse. I often used just one when going on shorter walks, but for longer ones I used two. I definitely felt more stable using them, and they did take pressure off of my knees, hip and back. Your back has to be in pretty good shape in order to use them, and my back has been in bad shape for the last 5 months, so I won't be using them during recovery, but I will be using them again when I am fully recovered, and I am sure of my back again when I go on longer walks, especially in natural areas on uneven ground, just to stay safe and avoid falls.

I know a number of people on another hip replacement forum have found them to be very useful during recovery. There is quite a range of prices for them, and you can find some that aren't too expensive. Check online.
 
@gertie Hope you have a more energized day, little baby steps every day.. I think we might be close to the slump, lol But keeping mind active on things to come next year and grateful for my new hip is so overwhelmingly good. Positive thoughts make things go better. My biggest emotional times are at night, 9pm to be exact, aha, I have caught it now, so down to 1/2 pain pill only at night to ward off the pain demons, lol! I try to keep remembering we control the pain, don't let pain control you or even the energy drops, we are allowed to nap! :yes!:
 
Thanks @Postalgal it was a slightly more energetic day today. Gorgeous weather here. I'm part of a small meditation group and we met at my house this morning--one of the members has been away for several months so it was nice to catch up (we spend as much time chatting as we do meditating)--and nice to do something "normal". I even did some tidying up and cleaned the toilet before they came! Then this afternoon a friend picked me up and took me for a drive around the area. We stopped at a small grocery but I sent her in and I waited in the car--not quite ready for grocery shopping even in a small market. We then came back to my house and had tea and now I'm ready for a nap. Hope you're having a good day as well.
 
@gertie Regarding your question about the Nordic poles, because I had a mini posterior and didn't have muscles cut, I didn't use a cane all that long. I think I used a walker for maybe 2 weeks and a cane for 2 weeks. At 6 weeks I've been dancing (cha cha, swing, nightclub two step -- but no turns or spins allowed for 3 months) the past two weeks. As I remember you were going to have a superior/mini posterior too, and if you did, you may find very quickly that you're out walking and dancing and have no need for those Nordic poles.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@BusterBeans good points about progress w the approach we had. But I also have really bad knees so am wondering if the poles will take some stress off the knees. So still thinking...


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I have a question for folks further along: Anyone use Nordic walking poles as you start walking further? They look like they'll help with stability and take some weight off my achy knees and recovering hip but they are a bit of an investment.

Definitely worth it, especially on uneven ground. Mrs. RSC and I could not have done our last backpacking trip without them. I wouldn't get the very cheapest ones, but you don't have to get the most expensive ones either. We have Black Diamond and Kelty poles, and they work fine, even though they may be a bit heavier than the most expensive ones.

I'm not further along yet, but I'm sure they'll be useful when I get off the walker.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom