THR Take a deep breath! Jump in!

@BusterBeans. Dancing??????? Really????? Good for you! Not that I don't think it is great exercise but I just do
Not see myself dancing anytime in the next few weeks, or months. Probably not ever! I don't dance. I will stick with swimming. You are probably having more fun! I will take my Nordic walking sticks and go into the woods.

@gertie It sounds like you are doing better. You seem to know your limits. Once I got out the door and went to a play two nights in a row, out to dinner twice, to church and etc. I found myself holding my hip and rushing to get ice on it and just rest with feet up. I am ready to get moving again! Too soon me thinks! Going to have to do things in short bursts and then rest and elevate. Almost feel stuck in this phase even though It has been just a little over two weeks!

feeling like a refugee from a bad nursing home with my unwashed hair sticking out in every direction and my dumpy, (but comfortable)
Just read this @gertie - oh it made me chuckle. What a perfect analogy! The upside is, as we progress, the sheer joy of a shower and hair wash is something never taken for granted again. As time goes on and we ditch the boring, practical clothing and find our way back into things that resemble some sort of fashion sense we relish that reconnection with the normal world once more. It is magic! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
@gertie I just had a chat with my hairstylist when she did my hair last week and she said I could come in when I felt up to it and she could wash my hair for me after surgery for $5. She said she has had a few that do that for a while when they had a broken arm or wrist. Just a thought. :)

@Tweetybrd How nice of your stylist! I think I've figured out the shower situation now so washing my hair is set--I do need a cut but will wait on that. My favorite hair cutter works out of her home way out in the boonies with an uneven, stony, gravelly front walk so not yet.

Oh good! I'm glad you got it figured out. And yes, uneven, gravelly front walks might have to wait a bit. :nah:
Sounds like you are doing well and continuing to heal.:thumb:

A sleepy, low energy day today. I seem to be alternating slightly more energetic days with sleepy days. Plus I slept fitfully last night for some reason--just one of those nights I think.

The OT finally got here today--they are amazing at problem solving. She figured out a way for me to use the shower bench, get my long legs in the tub, and not get water on the floor (as I've said before, a compact bathroom makes this tricky). I'll try this on my own and see if I continue to be successful. I'll soon feel ok about standing in the shower--probably could do it now--but it does feel safer to sit.

Friends brought lunch--delicious chicken soup--and we visited for a while but then I kicked them out when sleepiness started to overwhelm me. I'm really tired of being tired.

I feel like I should be doing more--going for walks outside for example since it's hard to build up much distance in my small house--but I'm not quite confident enough to walk any distance outside alone and friends aren't here every day. Something to work on.

Almost feel stuck in this phase even though It has been just a little over two weeks!
Oh I know how you feel. As I said above, I really want to be out and about more but just don't yet have the ooomph and then feel frustrated. I feel so fortunate to have very little pain but that also gives a false sense of being further along in recovery than I actually am.

I'm now almost 3 weeks out from my surgery and am feeling more upbeat today in spite of it being a dreary day (but we desperately need the rain). A reasonable night's sleep certainly helps the mood!

Highlights at this point:
--I've almost completely transitioned from the walker to the cane--will probably keep the walker by my bed at night for a while but otherwise using the cane. PT was here today and we walked up and down my very uneven front walk with me on the cane and she approved me to use it outdoors--and to go for walks by myself as long as I don't try to go too far.
--PT had me practice getting up and down from a chair without arms (something I'd wondered about)--not easy but doable, which makes it more likely I could at some point soon go to a restaurant.
--We also practiced getting in and out the driver's side of my car when it's parked in the garage--pretty easy to do so I see driving in my near future.
--The gentle exercises she gives me are all about increasing function and she cautions me to not do anything that hurts--I like this woman!

@gertie - I've been gone for awhile but have caught up on your progress. YES!! I like that woman too....she's doing you well. You seem to be right on schedule. Once you have the confidence to go out to a restaurant you will find yourself 'almost' back to humanity!! My big thing about venturing out was: what if I have to use the toilet? And my first venture, it was all about where and what I would sit on? No booths! And, regarding the hair! Where I surely would have canceled a dental or gyn appointment, there was motivation in my process of recovery to "visit my roots" and get to my hairdresser! I didn't care what it would take.....I was not going to miss that appointment!!! And I prayed for no rain! Once that was behind me....I was off and running (well, not exactly running, but you get the gist!!!) Day by day I got more confident....and you will too. You are doing GREAT!

@Nana2-8 yes, it's all about confidence isn't it? Not quite ready to venture into a restaurant unless there are chairs with arms but getting there. I went for a short walk down the street this morning using the cane instead of the walker. Slowly, slowly.

Blues are hitting today, big time. I am so sick of my own company! And the cat is not a good conversationalist. As I improve, visitors of various sorts (friends and med people) are less but I've been told not to drive until next week. Not sure why--all seems a bit arbitrary. I of course have things I could do to stimulate the brain but am having a hard time digging into them. Ugh! Days are feeling really long and much too quiet. Have done some binge watching of Netflix series to pass the time but there's a limit...

Also dreading Thanksgiving. I usually get together with friends--variations on this group have gotten together for many years--but it's a 40 minute drive and then lots of visiting/sitting and a 40 minute drive home. If I'm just beginning to drive again, not sure I want to drive myself and hate to ask someone to come pick me up and bring me home if I'm only going to stay a short while. But I look forward to seeing these people and dread the thought of sitting home by myself on Turkey day. And I know, it's just one time and not the end of the world but...feeling yucky right now.

Sorry you are having a blues day! Part of this recovery I am afraid. I am sure once you are driving again things will look brighter.

Can your Thanksgiving group come to you with everyone bringing food to share? I agree the long drive might be challenging now so perhaps they could come to you.

@Jaycey Thanks for your response. I don't think the T-giving group could come here--not a big enough house to accommodate them for one thing and I'm also not sure I want them to come here--if I go there, I can leave when I'm tired but hard to kick them out.

This entire holiday season is feeling challenging--I often go to England for Christmas to be with my sister and her extended in-law family but OS doesn't recommend a long haul flight that soon after my surgery plus work would not be happy about me extending my leave time by another week--so I'll be here and not sure what I'm going to do with myself as most friends are leaving town. So generally morose right now.

@gertie I'm sorry you are feeling blue. :sad: I wish I had lots of great suggestions for you but I don't. They only thing I could think of was to take a Uber or taxi to the Thanksgiving group but I know that is not very cost effective. So I will just say hang in there and give you a :console2:

so I'll be here and not sure what I'm going to do with myself as most friends are leaving town.
Come here and post. There are plenty of people going through the same. One year to miss this activity but a lifetime of pain free living.

So sorry @gertie - we all understand. I have missed a few family and other events courtesy of OA but as Jaycey says soon you'll be back up to speed and enjoying life again

thank you all for the virtual hugs. I just think this is going to be a sad holiday season and the challenge will be to stay focused on what is going well and to find ways to get into the holiday spirit a bit in the midst of feeling sad.

In the spirit of focusing on the positive...
--I went to a small farm market today, pushed the cart around the store to pick up a few items, and it seemed pretty easy. Next step after I start to drive at the end of next week is a small supermarket (be still my heart!).
--Also am managing just fine with most household tasks such as taking trash out to the big can, tending to cat, etc. Might not be quite ready to push the trash can to the end of the driveway but soon.
--Have found myself walking a bit around the house without the cane--just not thinking about it and then realize what I've done. Only time I use the walker at this point is in the middle of the night.
--PT who's been coming to the house thinks I'm ahead of what she'd expect in walking stride, stability, strength. The only problem is my arthritic knee on the non-op side makes it hard to do a full golfer's reach and pick things up off the floor or get things out of my bottom loading freezer or get up from armless chairs, etc.
--Still dealing with fatigue but it's getting better. Ready for a little nap now after my outing but I also didn't sleep all that well last night.

Well done @gertie. Driving will make a big difference. Progress. Being a habitual bad sleeper I've always thought the best thing about a bad night's sleep is the prospect of a better one. Naps are little battery rechargers so grab them whenever the mood takes you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks