THR Take a deep breath! Jump in!

Things are in motion already if I decide to go that route.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Thanks Tamra. I'm off to rehab today and eager to take the next step to getting home. Rehab only because I live alone and want to be sure I'm safe on my own. Recovery so far is easy. Minimal pain. I'll do a detailed update when I'm home and on my laptop.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
In rehab for a couple of days. Mostly doing well although I feel a little shaky when up on my feet for more than a few minutes. I'm walking w a walker per doctor's orders until next Thursday. And it's needed for sure right now although I'm leaning on it less and less. Aware of op leg feeling longer which is disconcerting. No much pain. Took a pain pill yesterday before the car ride to rehab but haven't felt the need since.
Icing when I can but they're not good at staying on top of that here or in the hospital. I bug them but...

Staff here are nice. Food is awful, almost inedible, certainly not healthy eating. Friends are smuggling in food! I am so eager to get home and suspect I could have managed if I'd gone straight to home.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Glad you are doing well. Hopefully, once you get home you can ice more often and get some good food! That is great you have friends smuggling you in some now. HEHE
 
Aware of op leg feeling longer which is disconcerting.
Worry not! Most new hippies have this feeling and in most cases the feeling just fades with time. Give it 3-4 months.
 
@Jaycey. Use a lift in the other shoe in the meantime?


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
No, don't use a lift for at least 3-4 months. As I said, this will balance out. Give your body time. The pelvis is usually tipped pre-op when you are limping around trying to stay off that sore hip. Let it balance and this will hopefully disappear.

If it does not go away in that time period see a podiatrist or physio to get an accurate measurement of the leg length difference. Then you may need to use a lift. Here's an article from our Library: Leg length differential - LLD
 
Thanks!


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@gertie, I'm so sorry that your rehab experience has not a better one. Bad food is inexcusable. Glad your friends are bringing in some good food for you to eat, although they shouldn't have to smuggle it! I'll be going to rehab probably tomorrow, and they encourage it if your friends or relatives want to bring you in some special food that you like.

I am guessing you'll be home soon. It's better to have gone to the rehab even if you didn't totally need it, then to have gone home and discovered that you really did need rehab. It's harder to get into the rehab once you've gone home.

Hope you are feeling better and better all the time, and congratulations on all the walking around you've been doing!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Krista. Wise words re the decision to go to rehab. Hope all goes well for you in the next phase.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Worry not! Most new hippies have this feeling and in most cases the feeling just fades with time. Give it 3-4 months.
Mine went totally after a couple of weeks and only when I was tired or sore after a few days. It did make me panic initially so I wanted to reassure that it really does go away.
 
Anyone have experience with enteric coated aspirin? Intestines have been unsettled. Might be all the laxatives etc they filled me with in the hospital but the last dose was Sunday. Wonder if it's the aspirin and if there are any things I can do to offset it. Yogurt? Fiber?


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@gertie So you're in rehab? That's a good thing if you live alone. I spent 8 days in a rehab after my BTKR because all of our bedrooms and full baths were on the second floor, but the hospital didn't tell me I couldn't go home until the moment of discharge so I was quite put out. But afterwards I was so glad they had sent me there. My husband could never have provided the care I needed in our home.

It is difficult to get ice and even sometimes pain meds when you want/need them -- my rehab at least seemed understaffed -- so just keep ringing that bell. Regarding food, my rehab had different menus to order from. I kept losing a lot of points (which would keep me from getting discharged to go home) because I couldn't finish the truck driver's meals they put in front of me. Then I discovered they had heart healthy menus for cardiac patients and I started ordering from them. Those foods were healthy, tasty and smaller portions. Ask your dietary if there are other types of menus to order from. I did break my bad habit of evening sweet snacks courtesy of the rehab!

And ask your RN about the aspirin coating. Our RN's were phenomenal. They were so understaffed but had hearts of gold. My night RN had pity because I wasn't allowed to shower and it had been over a week. A few uses of dry shampoo just made a bad hair situation a disaster. One evening she said she was showering me after rounds even though my surgeon had said no showers. She must have used a whole roll of that Press Wrap on me but I got a great hot shower and clean hair without getting a drop of water on my knee dressings!

Great to hear you're doing so well already backing off your pain meds. Maybe it's because our hip approach doesn't cut muscles as others do?

Keep up the great work with your Walker. You'll soon be using your cane. Then you'll soon be walking around on your own limp free. Please keep us updated.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@BusterBeans. Thank you for your response. I would give this rehab mixed reviews. People are really nice which is a big plus--eager to please. I think part of my stress is that I'm so ready to be back in charge of my life eating my food etc. had a meltdown this morning. I warned extra strength tylenol since I'm not taking narcotics. Bit it's nit part of the orders that came from the hsp so no go. Had a bad nights sleep because of someone across the hall moaning and calling out. Only one menu. Asked for yogurt to help my unsettled gut and they only have sugary stuff. Am having active very soft bms and refusing laxatives as a result then find that they're adding miralax to the water we take pills with. That's what sent me into meltdown mode. A mix of frustration and post op depression I think.

But on the plus a nice ot sat with me then helped me get a shower which felt great.

Sorry for the rant! I do think this will be an up and down journey.



Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@gertie I have been thinking about you. Sounds like rehab has its drawbacks. Keep bugging them for ice! I believe that is the most important thing! Why would they put miralax in the water and not tell you? That is odd. Just had a shower today myself! Wonderful! Also, regarding dietary....ask to speak with the dietitian as they should be able to help you on the meals with your upset tummy. The aspirin I always take with a ton of food not just a pkg of saltines. I mean like a meal or a whole banana. In fact ask to have bananas as that will help with
Loose stools. Good luck!
 
@gertie I had same feeling as well, but I am wondering since they tell you about it, if we don't worry about it? I don't feel like it now? I know you will be all so ready to go to home sweet home. Even though hubby did take care of me the first week, I felt I was his burden, I was! I soon learned to tell him to back off, and get sleep, and he did. He is a big guy and I saw it was alot of effort for him to some things and he himself is a year younger than me and suffering with a little leg neuropathy, under docs care himself. So my thoughts are if you need it, use it. Most importantly, so you are safe and can heal the rest of the way on out! Hugs!
 
ah, home sweet home. Felt like I was getting a cold this morning but don't feel that way now--allergic to the rehab facility??? Feeling very achy all over--have been up and walking a bit more and all my muscles, ligaments, tendons are readjusting I think. Although it's sweet to be home, I'm not finding either the couch or the rental chair to be the perfect place to lounge. Couch is a bit soft, chair is firmer but my feet dangle and there's a prominent lumbar support. Might just be that I'm tired and cranky and a bit achy and all will be better in the a.m. A friend is coming by soon with some food. I'll eat a bit, and crawl into bed early.

But I'm not going to complain about any of this because I'm home! Cat doesn't know what to do. She jumped up and I protected my op leg--still lots of places for her to curl up but she wanted that leg!

So here's a quick synopsis of events so far:
10/26 evening--went to hospital to check in--was there for the evening as a "hotel" guest. Took my anti bacterial shower, got into bed, and read. Couldn't fall asleep knowing I'd be wakened at midnight, when I became a patient, for IV placement, etc. Anxious but keeping it under control.

10/27--Midnight IV placement--had a hard time getting things placed in my apparently small veins. In general lots of in and out and things being done for a couple of hours. Got a few hours sleep before being wakened at 5:30. Hurry up and wait for transport to pre-op area at around 7:30. Anxiety really spiking at that point and feeling chilled. Warm blankets, heat hat both helped. Chatty nurse tried to engage me in conversation--appreciated the effort but had a hard time responding (try to think of a favorite book under those circumstances!). Arrogant anesthetist not really listening to my concerns about general anesthesia (mostly the fact that I have TMJ and they insert a breathing tube). OS signed the leg and briefly chatted. Gave me some Versed which worked its charms, inserted an epidural for pain control later, into the OR, scoot onto the table and out. Direct Superior approach done--took about 1.5 hours. Closed with glue, have a waterproof dressing on. No TEDs.

I hate the feeling of coming out of general anesthesia--the recovery room experience has a sort of nightmarish feel in retrospect even though everyone was kind but I was just so out of it.

Taken back to my room, 2 friends waiting, which was nice even though I could barely acknowledge them. They didn't linger. The rest of 10/27 is a blur.

10/28-10/30--in the hospital feeling markedly better each day in spite of needing bladder ultrasounds every time I peed for the first couple of days to see if I'd emptied my bladder--had not emptied sufficiently so got catheterized for about 12 hours (epidurals shut down the bladder I guess). Had a couple of mini meltdowns b/c I was so frustrated at not being able to move around on my own (can understand the thinking but man it's trying to have to ring for help every time you want to go pee or move from the chair back to the bed). Had dilaudid 2 mg for pain control once the epidural was removed--took it a few times but pain was relatively minimal. Stayed to Sunday to satisfy the Medicare 3 night requirement for rehab but really felt ready to leave on Saturday.

10/30-11/2--in a rehab place near where I live. I was not a patient rehab resident. Not sure it was really indicated but as Krista said earlier, better to go and think I didn't need it than to not go and struggle. Lots of notes in previous posts about my rehab experience.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@gertie I am so happy you made it home! Bravo! I have cats too and they seem to want that one leg. I put a blanket on opposite hip and they know they can sit there.





Wow, I can't imagine trying to be in hospital preop. At least you didn't have to get up at 4 30 a.m. Like I did to be at hospital by 5 15 a.m. I did this for both surgeries! Got it over and done early. I agree that waking up in recovery is no fun. Nice friends were waiting for you.
Somewhat entertained by the miralax in the drinking water. I know you were distressed however. Hope that part is all resolved. At least now you are indeed home sweet home!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom