THR Take a deep breath! Jump in!

@SwimGirl. Oh at the time the miralax episode really irritated me but w distance I can see some humor Between doctored water and Charlie across the hall calling out and yelling into the night... Well you gotta laugh

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

@gertie, my surgery triplet, how nice that you are home, and, boy, do I ever empathize with your "achy all over" feelings. I distinctly remember after my THR that I was never really comfortable for more than a short time anywhere for weeks. Hope everything settles. I found that throughout that whole 15 months between surgeries for me, and with the vertebral compression fracture, and now the new surgery, my life consists of constant re-adjustment of different pillows, levels, chairs, beds and wedges in an attempt to get comfy. As soon as I found a good combination, something would change. May you feel better soon!

I am still at the rehab, and will be for at least another week, due mainly to me getting used to the 20 pound weight bearing and still being fairly weak. Will update my thread today.

All the best to you as you recover!

@Krista Limited weight bearing is certainly tricky. I feel for you--I was non weight bearing for 2 months following an ankle injury and I was crossing the days off on the calendar and so glad to be back fully on 2 feet at the end of the ordeal. How is your rehab? You said you were having a bit of trouble adjusting. Hope all is well. I just had the visiting nurse here for general assessment (all is well) and removal of Aquacell dressing. Incision looks good but the adhesive caused a rash--not a big deal. I'm very tired, which is to be expected, but otherwise doing well.

@gertie, "very tired" does come with the territory. Feeling that way myself, after a very busy morning here at rehab. So your dressing is off for good, or was it replaced with another. Glad it looks good!

Will be sitting most of the rest of the day. Sister is on her way for us to sit outside. I'm doing well with the 20 pound weight bearing, but it is hard on my arms and "good" leg, and especially, my hands. It is more of a big annoyance, and one that I have to deal with for another 5 - 7 weeks. But I can occupy myself well with computer and sewing/beading crafts, so I'll be fine.

@Krista During my non weight bearing adventure, I had a LOT of hand and wrist pain--about 2 weeks in was the worst and the thought of having to get up and move would bring me to tears the hands/wrists were so painful. One thing that helped were these WAGS gloves that are designed for people doing Pilates and yoga: http://www.wristassuredgloves.com/gel-padded-gloves/ I also had some leather bike gloves I borrowed from a friend and put some extra padding in. And I also just got stronger which meant less pain.

And yes, the dressing is off for good--glue closure so no staple removal, yay!

Day 8 report: Slept restlessly last night--I had hoped that once I was home I would sleep better but I also know from reading on here that sleep can be tricky. Part of last night's problem was a cat that was feeling put upon because I wouldn't let her sleep on my op leg (how cruel of me). Felt like a bit of a rough start to the day, aware of feeling a bit weak when I stand and do something in the kitchen--not lightheaded just no stamina for standing. Walking is better. Anyhow, seemed like a big production to get coffee and a bowl of yogurt (and feed the feline beast). But coffee and food helped me feel better.

Busy day. Visiting nurse for 1.5 hours, friend came and fixed lunch and we visited for a couple of hours. Another friend dropped something off. Someone is here doing yardwork and pokes his head in periodically. Sister called, someone delivered flowers, etc. All great stuff but I'm beat. I'm mostly in the chair directing the action with periodic strolls down the hall or out to the kitchen. I'm supposed to do PT but am going to bag it for today and just do gentle strolls.

Pain: continues to be manageable with acetaminophen extra strength, ice, and rest--usually in the 1 to 4 range w occasional spikes to 5 if I've done too much or not taken any acetaminophen for a while. Rest and icing quickly brings it down to 1 or 2 again.

Mobility: still using walker (OS wants me to use it 'til 2 wk follow up), walking with full heel/toe stride and minimal limp (I think).

PT: was discharged with sheet of exercises. Did not do any today. PT person coming tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooh, @gertie, thanks for that link with the hand/wrist support gloves. I'll investigate that angle for sure.

As far as the "sheet of exercises" you got, I'd be very wary of them. Josephine is always saying that, for hips, walking (with aides at the beginning, of course) is the best exercise. And you can do damage to soft tissues if you do too much. It is possible that my gluteus medius tear, which is why I had this surgery, was caused by overzealous PT done too early after my THR last year. It certainly didn't feel like I did too much or anything, I wasn't aware of any moment when the GM tore, but tore it did, and very soon after my THR. So be careful! Read those BoneSmart mantras again, and don't do anything that causes pain, either at the time or later. Your tissues are trying to heal, and don't need strengthening until they are healed.

@Krista Thanks for the reminder about risks of PT. None of these exercises feels difficult or painful but I hear what you're saying.

Hello @gertie First hip I was very good about my exercises two times a day. This time...ah...not so much. Family stopped waiting on me at day 3 or so this time. I am sure it must have been a whole week last time. The good news is that I have had lots of practice balancing plates, drinks, etc. on walker. I think if you make half an effort to do some of the PT exercises you will see the benefits without hurting yourself. A day at a time. I seem to remember simple buttock squeezes are important. Hope you get some good sleep soon. Lack of sleep can make you crazy! Just remember to give kitty some love!

@gertie - just want to underscore what @Krista had advised. I honestly stuck to walking (and that was gentle, gradual stuff) and I will follow that same strategy for this next one. I read too many posts on here where people push it and completely ignore the sensible advice BS offers. We all care that you have a good recovery and you're doing so well this far, so please take it easy. Hope you get some decent sleep soon - if you can nap,during the day it helps a little to top up.

@Miss Muffet Thank you for your cautions about PT (and @Krista). I had my speech all set but didn't need it. The PT came this morning (oh, so early) and has a very sensible approach to things. She did not think it made sense to do all the exercises the rehab sent me home with, 30 reps, 2 x a day. She thought walking as tolerated, some gentle butt clenches and quad sets and ankle pumps, in my chair but not 30 reps. If I want to move my leg out to the side or the back when I'm standing, as a gentle stretch, that's fine but just a few reps not 30. She thought my gait looked good and that I seemed fairly strong already. We mostly looked at things in the house to make sure all is set up correctly. So, all in all a helpful visit rather than a painful or contentious one.

@gertie Sounds like you are doing wonderfully! Im glad the PT lady didn't want you pushing to much. Keep it up! :)

Day 9 report: Sleepy day today. I think the past few days are catching up with me--stress of being in rehab, transitioning home, lots of visitors yesterday. I was in bed by 7:30 last night. Slept a bit fitfully but deeply when I was asleep. Today, the PT early and the cat helper late this afternoon and a friend coming soon to drop off some groceries she picked up for me, a couple of phone calls but basically a very quiet day, which is just what I need. Reading and dozing and sipping tea.

Re: rehab. I don't want my negative comments to put people off who might be contemplating going to rehab. I should have shopped around more but I was too busy/achy/tired/ambivalent. Looking first would have helped me choose the right place and have a realistic handle on what the experience would be (and my first question would be about the food :heehee:). I chose the place closest to where I live, which was great b/c friends could visit, but lacking in other crucial ways.

Pain: Continues in the 0 to 4 range depending on what I'm doing. But it's still better than it was before surgery!

Mobility: No real change but I am aware that my stride feels normal for the first time in several months. Still using walker but find myself just pushing it, rather than leaning into it.

PT: See responses above. Not doing much except walking and some gentle exercises if they feel good, per in-home PT.

Ugh. That sleep thing hit me last night. After spending the day alternating between reading and dozing, I got into bed at around 8 (which has been my norm post-op), stayed awake until 9 when I could take more acetaminophen, slept reasonably well until 1:30 and then that was it. Yuck. In my recliner now waiting for a friend to arrive with lattes and muffins then probably back to bed.

I know @gertie - it feels like jeg-lag doesn't it.
It is, however, par for the course I'm afraid.
I averaged around 4 hours early on, but it did gradually improve if that's any consolation. :tiredwheel:
I tried to look on the dozing as a form of sleep ..... Hope the lattes and muffins help to cheer you up. :console2:

@gertie - please go easy on yourself. You are still so early in your recovery process....and it is a process! Your normal sleep routine is like that of a baby....naps during the day...awake during the night. But your body is dictating that right now.....in order for you to not do too much. Just relax and listen to your body. Before you know it, your natural strength will return along with more stamina. Please don't try to rush it....or fret about it. You are doing great....don't mess it up! The fact that you are now pushing your walker rather than clutching to it for dear life says that you are on the right path. This isn't a race....it's a process.....and an exercise in patience...(where have you heard that before?). Be good to yourself!

Thanks for the words of wisdom! My friend, who has had 2 hip surgeries including a replacement, just reminded me that I am just a little over a week out. Patience, patience, patience. Part of my frustration with the insomnia is that I had lots of insomnia problems pre surgery b/c of stress over the upcoming op and stress about work.

@Miss Muffet The latte and muffin were much appreciated but even more appreciated is the time with a friend who's willing to put up with my sleepiness AND do some dishes--invaluable.

You are doing very well for so early out @gertie ! Patience is prescribed. Nap when you can and don't worry if you have sleep issues. They will gradually fade away. Read, listen to music, watch mindless TV. It's still resting.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom