Guest viewing is limited

TKR Swmrgirl Is Up For Air

Hi Julie,
It's good to hear from you but sorry you're on that downside of the rollercoaster ( or is it the uphill side? ).
I had the tears, too. Part of it is from the trauma of the surgery to your body. Part is from all the drugs. No medals given for bravery of doing without pain meds, so take what you need. Are you going to outpatient PT? If so, might have them check your pelvis. Mine was out of whack from limping along. It took 45 seconds to "fix" it and I was better than new! Are you drinking plenty of water/ fluids? Dehydration can make you feel exhausted. How about eating? Your body needs protein to heal. Ok, enough "Mama"questions! :friends:
This, too, shall pass. It's that patience thing we all struggle with. Hang in there!
Hugs!
 
Hi Helen,
Thank you for the words of encouragement. Naturally I thought I would be completely healed by now!
 
@swmrgirl
I'm sorry you're feeling down at the moment. :console2:
Most of us go through the "blues," and it's a normal part of recovery, unfortunately. It will pass, but if it lingers for too long ask your doctor for a short course of medication to help.
I realise that probably doesn't make you feel any better right now, though.

Yes, it is normal for you to need to want to spend the day in bed. The energy drain after a knee replacement is enormous.
Energy drain for TKRs
Just go with it. Allow your body the rest it needs. Another day, you'll feel better.
 
(((((((((Julie))))))))))

Sending you much love, understanding, and TLC.

It really is a roller coaster, but it does get better. Not necessarily on our schedule (darn it!). but, trust me, this too shall pass. I erred on the side of staying home rather than venturing out during the first month or two of my recovery. It wasn't until after my second month birthday that I felt comfortable going out as a passenger for brief jaunts of 10 or 15 minutes -- always in the back seat, sitting at a 90 degree angle so my back was against one door and my leg stretched out along the bench seat in the back.

I had crying spells, too. *Nothing* really prepares you for what the recovery's going to be like, and how slow it is. A lot of us have had meltdowns just like a two-year old who just absolutely looses it. As Celle said, post-operative blues are a real thing https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/

I'm very glad you're sharing all this here. Together, we can get through this!
 
Hi @SarahJane,
Thanks for your message. I can't tell you how much it helps to read about other people's experiences. I think part of the frustration is going from having a full-time job and being active to the complete opposite. It's a big adjustment. Somewhere in the back of my mind I know that I'll be happy I had the surgery, I just need to hear it a million times from people that have gone through it.
Hugs
 
Julie, my TKR and then infection saga was very emotional! After my infection surgery I couldn't stop crying! If someone asked how I was... I cried, if someone didn't ask how I was doing...I cried. I cried just talking to nurses or aides. At one point I was still in the hospital and balled like a baby, a nurse heard me and came to check, I asked her to please just shut the door and let me be for a while. Then I went back to the rehab I had been in a month earlier I loved all the nurses and aides, but explaining everything to them brought me to tears also.

So I totally get it! This will pass, check on your meds, don't under medicate at this point and try to sleep when you can. I believe lack of sleep just adds to our depression. You're just about a month out and this is when you start to think you should be better and getting on with your life, because everyone else seems to be getting on with their life. In another week you'll be feeling a bit better, but there will be other ups and downs for a few months. Watch a favorite movie or tv show, just to take your mind off your knee (as if that's possible) Take care, know that we are all thinking of you.
 
Entirely normal to have what I call mini meltdowns at 4 weeks. I think I had my last one at 15 weeks. This is a tough recovery, no doubt about it. It is a long slog and I think even more difficult for those of us who are very active but it does get better. Much better. I am up to 10,000 steps a day, 30-minutes of lap swimming and 20 mile bike rides (on the right bike) at 4 months, but I still have some challenges (stairs) and more healing to do. Hang in there!
 
Hi @swmrgirl !!! I have been thinking about you this past few days. I think everyone recovers at a different time but you are only a month out from surgery . I felt soo weak , not hungry and no energy what so ever for quite a while so Im no expert but it did happened to me , I thought I was never going to recover , so hang in there and rest a lot try to eat healthy , btw , are you hungry ? Because I wasn't and had to force my self to eat . Dont get discourage , do something to keep you self and your mind occupied . May be knitting , reading what ever you like to do and thatwill help you . When we are active persons and suddently we are force to be in bed or inactive we tend to get depress. Very soon you will start feeling better. I wish you the best and keep us updated on your progress

:loveshwr::loveshwr:

Lili
 
Try some on line shopping to get ready for Christmas. Just put things in shopping bags, but don't buy while on meds. I did and when I opened packages didn't actually have the items I thought I had. I blame the oxycodone...
 
@KarriB you are so funny!!! I have made some interesting purchases while on pain meds and I am extremely generous :loll:.

@swmrgirl I am so sorry you having a rough time. I am only 2 weeks out from this surgery so I cannot answer your questions, but I have a big shoulder for you to cry on. I will probably need to borrow your shoulder about 2 weeks from now for the same reason. I have experienced post op blues though and it is very real and to be expected. Getting out was good but might of added to some of your frustration because you get a taste of freedom but are not yet able to partake.
The chronic pain and poor sleep is definitely adding to the blues. If you are like me I hate taking the pain medication because I think I am through the worst of it and really not hurting "that bad" but then my husband insists and I do feel much better and brighter after taking the pain pills.
Sending you virtual ((hugs)) and a shoulder for support. ❤
 
Blame it on the meds or lack of the meds. When I started cutting back I had a few days that I felt horrible shaky nauseas etc. It's unfortunate but you just can't change the time it takes to heal. Brains and bodies just don't agree!
 
I had a little meltdown tonight - week 11. My poor dad who gets the phone calls and the tears.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks for the support everyone. Sounds like I'm in good company all around.

Eating is a challenge, but I do manage three small meals and two smaller snacks a day. I'm definitely not starving, but not excited about eating.

I doodle away the hours, Zentangle to be exact. Perhaps I'll get on YouTube and learn to knit. Just think, I could be making hundreds of pot holders, but most likely I'll knit scarves, which sounds lovely.

@KarriB, you crack me up! I did some online shopping last night and had my husband look at it before I pressed the purchase button, just to make sure I wasn't buying a fur coat or something crazy, haha!

@ironclm, my mom is getting my teary phone calls and seems to be a handling them well. She keeps reminding me that I won't spend the rest of my life like this, which helps me get through the moment. Sleep deprivation is surely part of the problem, sigh. I hear that gets better with time, too.

The really good news is that my flex is at 93 after being stuck in the 70s for weeks. The BoneSmart mantra really works and so I will continue with the program. I'm only doing gentle stretches and short walks a couple times a day. Went out on my front steps with PT yesterday and was able to go up normally. I didn't even know I could do that. Going down will take some practice and more flex.

So grateful to have your input!
Blessings.


Please excuse mistakes. This message was sent from my phone.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
As we Southerners say, Tomorrow is another day! And every day / week is different on this journey. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. Yesterday, I was extremely depressed. I pulled out a loaned book and escaped to Ireland in the story. Today, the sun is out and I woke up raring to GO somewhere. My knee cooperated and my DH and I went shopping for 3 hrs. He is a saint for going along and not nagging me to go home! All that to say, there IS light at the end of these tunnels, but sometimes there is a curve in the tunnel that obstructs the view! :friends:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful news about your flexion increasing! Today I sat outside at work by a fountain in our courtyard. First nice day we have had in a while (it has been steamy and hot in Florida). Felt good just to be. I am working on stairs as well. We will get there!
 
Hi @swmrgirl , good to hear you are having a better day. Good job on the flexion! I am awaiting the 20th to find out the gender of my 5th grandbaby and then out comes my crocheting. I have made a blanket for each grandbaby.
Have you thought about coloring? I see that Crayola has just released an adult coloring set, so it is becoming popular. I order the books and gel pens from Amazon, very relaxing and a good distraction.
Since I have read your post I am bracing for my mini-breakdown. Family and spouse has been forewarned!!
Glad you are feeling better ❤
 
Wow, I can't believe that I haven't posted in a month! I started working from home, 10 hours a week about three weeks ago. It's been nice to have a connection again, because I was starting to feel isolated. I'm doing project work with no urgent deadlines, which takes the pressure off and gives me a bit of a routine to my day.

All in all things are going pretty well, but I do struggle with patience. I'm having trouble with overall weakness. Here's an example of what happens to me, on Friday morning, I did some light cleaning around the house and then rested for about an hour. In the afternoon I went to a shop to pick up some small gifts. I parked about a half block away, and was in the shop for about 20 minutes. I went straight home to ice an elevate. Yesterday and today my right leg is swollen from knee to foot, and I feel very weak and tired. What gives... am I expecting too much to soon?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Julie
 
You're just two months today. It's when you begin to want to do more, but the knee just doesn't cooperate. Here is what the activity progression suggests (from the library section).

Weeks 6 and onward - add to previous
Start taking car trips to the shops but keep them short and sweet at the start, no longer than 15-20 minutes
Take at least one 5 minute rest while you are out.

Activity: a very little ironing, washing, meal prep but get someone else to clear up after. Wash up but someone else clears the table, brings you the dirty dishes, dries and puts them away after, NOT you!!

So you may have overdone it a bit. Good to hear you're doing well otherwise. Has the OS said when you can you start swimming again?
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom