Guest viewing is limited

TKR Swmrgirl Is Up For Air

Ah, we all jump to this conclusion. It's easy to get caught up in worrying when you're stuck at home and think about nothing much else Take it easy and hopefully this is just one of those minor glitches on this long and weird journey back.
 
@swmrgirl i've been largely AWOL since my surgery, but here to send you some warm wishes and strong belief that things will start improving exponentially soon, at least compared to the very beginning when we're all totally convulsed into one mass effort to get past the assault of major surgery.

I could not eat at all in the beginning, then my husband made me a cheese omelette every day. If you can't have dairy, the eggs are still an imp. Source of protein.

I also had a headache early on, probably from the spinal. That's gone.

No pushy PTs! For the past 2 weeks I had home care PT and she was wonderful. Lots of excellent advice, lots of positive encouragement and she gave me many different exercises to try, none of which were painful.

I hope to start outpatient PT this coming week, but if they treat me like I'm in boot camp, I will find another PT place!

Feel lots better soon!!!
 
For four weeks when I was on the Oxy all I could eat was applesauce, mashed potatoes, popsicles and little else. I lost 20 pounds in about three weeks (which I am thrilled about and have kept off). The Oxy did a serious number on me and I told my surgeon I would never take it again. I couldn't eat and there were days I would just lay on the couch and call my dad and person and person and then cry all day. Nasty stuff.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
This is my second time through and a number of the issues appeared again for me too. Hard to eat, appetite was restricted, felt full fast. Constipation, took a few days of stool softners. Headache and dizziness, found I need to eat something when taking meds or this happens.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@wberry, I have all that and really have to force myself to eat. It's better now that I have cut down on the meds. How is your knee feeling? Seems like things are getting better quickly.

My newest trick is to get really dizzy after my shower (even though I'm sitting down). Yesterday I felt like I was going to pass out, even though I was sitting on a shower bench, so I had to lie down immediately. Must be the warm water.
:bath:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@wberry and @swmrgirl , mee too!! I had all that it took about 3 weeks to start going away. I had to force my self to eat. It shall go away fast. My appetite is back but Im not as hungry as before but I can eat enough to get all my nutrients, also a multivitamin helps. No worries, take it easy rest and eventually things go back to normal. Have a great Sunday friends. :flwrysmile::flwrysmile::loveshwr:
 
I remember getting light headed in the shower also. I thought it was a combination of hot water and energy out put. I found myself napping after a shower just because I could!
 
I had a little light-headedness, but the one thing I wish I had thought about before I had my first shower was to arrange things differently than the way I usually have my shower implements.

By that I mean my back was to the spray of water to minimize hard stream of water on my incisions, but my soap, washcloth, shampoo and conditioner were all in a caddy under the shower head. I hadn't realized I couldn't have my feet planted one way and just twist around the opposite way to reach those items - OW! So I had to slowly turn around and reach up each time for each item. It would have been much better to have those goodies within reach in front of me, rather than behind.

I did have to use the walls to balance myself several times. It is slowly getting better.
 
My recovery is coming along well. Not sure why you are getting dizzy, but the temp change is a possibility.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It takes a village doesn't it? Instead of being in the stand up shower, my husband took your suggestions and helped me transfer from the edge of the tub to a shower bench. It was all very seamless, and was much better than standing. No dizziness, whew!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@swmrgirl that is a wonderful dream!! I was cleaning the bathroom today and was thinking how much easier it will be with new knees. Haven't been able to kneel or squat for years so when I am cleaning or doing chores I bend from the waist, legs straight. And yes I have thrown my back out a few times over the years :snork:.
You dream of running and skipping and my goal is to be able to clean my house without grunts and groans! I think I need a more exciting, fun vision like yours ❤
 
I've hurt my back, too trying to bend in weird ways because my knees don't work well. :spin:
 
Funny, I just woke up from dreaming about running .. Which is hilarious since I haven't run since about grade six gym class ! :walking:But I think it's our bodies saying " you go girl... You'll get there ! ". Or maybe it's these crazy drugs!:tantrum2:
 
I also had a dream I was running the other night. It made me more sad than anything since running is definitely the one thing the surgeon said no to.


TKR 08/26/15

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I was dizzy in the shower,too. But it soon went away. Our master bath shower startd leaking 3 days after I got home and had to be remodeled down to the stud wall! At week 2, I had to go upstairs to shower! When they redid the shower, I had them add a grab bar and raise the seat height. Live and learn!
Running in your dreams?:snork:
 
The whole shower thing is so complicated and exhausting, isn't it?

My dear mom was just here, and it was so hard for me not to get up and dust and make my bed before she got here. She dusted, tidied up and made lunch for me. My husband has been so great, but the dust bunnies are invisible to him. I feel good so it's very odd not to jump up and do my normal routine. I know so many of you can relate.
 
When I had my first TKR the lady in the room next to mine had s dream and sleep walked around her room. The nurses had to go get her and put her I bed before she messed up her TKR. It was crazy, she was hollering and thrashing when they went in the room.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom