TKR Swmrgirl Is Up For Air

I remember how weird it felt when I didn't go back to school after Christmas break two years ago, but now retirement is in my vision (June 2017) and I'm kind of liking the idea.
 
Julie, how fun to be able to see your daughter in action! What a fun job. My stepson is a Physical Oceanographer with NOAA based in Miami. Amazing what the ocean holds and how great it can be displayed in aquariums for us all to see.

A pity party??? Well, my dear, you go right ahead. I think we are all entitled after all we have been through. Heck, make it a BIG party and have a good cry! I do. Then, I have to look at all I have been blessed with and realize I need to get off my "pity pot", flush it, dry my tears, and move on. Odd how that pity pot has seen a lot of pity parties lately! :heehee:

I hope your evening is filled with peace and comfort.
 
Retirement sounds great @KarriB! What a wonderful thing to look forward to. I'm going to continue to work full-time for the next five years, and then cut down to three days a week, hopefully. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will work out.
 
I go through my gratitude list each evening, @Timetolive. It sure does help remembering how fortunate I am. I hope your pity pot will begin to collect cobwebs in 2016!
 
@swmrgirl I am looking at this spring too for my 2nd knee. Like you said first is not finished healing but the difference between the two is quite remarkable. My new knee is so strong and solid....I am beginning to like my new knee ❤
 
It's so amazing that there is no joint pain in the new knee. That goes in my daily gratitude list along with all of you.

Perhaps we'll be knee buddies again this spring. I'm hoping for April, but will take what my OS offers.
 
HI @swmrgirl , it's been a while since my last log in. I'm happy that you had a great Christmas. Feeling tired is very normal for some time, it took a while for me to go back to almost"normal.I did started walking as soon as I could and I think that helped. Your ROM is Good and it will keep getting better with time.how are your pain levels? I also did not do much Outpatient PT, I only went to one appointment and I did some of the exercises at home for a few days and I'm doing good so far and I know you will do great also . :loveshwr:
 
It's great when the new knee becomes the "good" knee!
 
Your recovery sounds very like mine Julie. It's so nice to know I'm "normal".
 
I never thought I'd look forward to retirement and have been worried about being bored. I've been teaching 38 years total and things have certainly changed. It gets harder to go back after breaks, but the fact that I'm entertaining the idea surprises me. I'd love to work part time, but the retirement system doesn't support that because your pension is based on an average of your last three years, so if I'd work part time I'm diminishing my pension.
 
It's been weeks since I posted last, although I've been following people's posts. I went back to work on January 6th, and it felt good to get into a routine, albeit exhausting. I had quite a bit a swelling for the first two weeks back, but that has mostly resolved. Over all I'm very happy with my progress, and am getting noticeably stronger each week. I just got a call from my OS's office and my next surgery is April 20th! :dubious: Looking forward to having it behind me.
 
Wow! You are brave and I'm a wuss! Glad to hear the new knee is doing well.
 
Glad to hear things are going well. Hard to believe you will soon be going for the next one! I'm still struggling along and don't think I could be at work yet if it was something for which I needed to be standing for much of the day. Because I can sit or even lie down while working (I'm a journalist), I was able to start four days after the surgery. Wishing you continued good health and an easy #2!
 
Thank you for the support, my friends!

I haven't had the challenges you have, @KarriB, I would say that you're no wimp. If I'd had the same experience, I wouldn't be in a hurry for more surgery either.

After I wrote my previous post, my knees started to ache... :heehee:
 
I'm feeling fatigued and antisocial today. Sometimes a long weekend makes it harder to go back to work. The weather is unseasonably warm here, and I have a little spring fever. I just told my director that I'll be having my second surgery in April and she was very supportive... counting my blessings. :angel:
 
We had a snow day today after President's Day yesterday. Four days off makes it very hard to get back into the swing of things. Makes me really look forward to retirement.
 
Good luck with your 2nd knee! Just think soon you'll be able to do things pain free you've probably not been able to do for a while. I'm so looking forward to the weather getting warm and being able to finally enjoy this summer for the first time in years. My 2nd knee is finally starting to feel like a normal knee at 8 months and I can't even tell the 1st one that is a little over a year old isn't my original knee anymore.
 
Your retirement is so close, @KarriB! Do you dream about what life will be like then?
I am looking forward to a time when my TKR feels more natural. It seems to be a good weather predictor, though... :heehee:
 
I decided to retire at the end of this school year, so it's really close! I can get my other knee done and not worry about sick days, coming back to a substitute, feeling guilty for leaving my class, sleep past 5:30, swim every day, the list goes on!
Two years later and my knee still hates cold, wet weather.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom