TKR Swmrgirl Is Up For Air

Hi @KarriB! Thanks for the reply. I've been cleared to swim, and have gone twice, but i just managed to exhaust myself, even though I took it easy. Also, the lap pool is outdoors, and I just can't seem to handle the cold air. I'm saving what little energy I have for my PT exercises. I have a new outpatient PT, who's wonderful and happens to be my neighbor. Hope you're doing well.
 
I know what you mean about thinking we should be able to do more. I had a fairly productive Saturday, doing easy chores with lots of breaks. Thought Sunday would be the same, but no - knee a bit sore and unwilling to cooperate. I have learned that it does no good to argue with the boss, so I pulled out my new dog grooming toy and brushed my dogs. This furminator really gets out the shedding hair! So it looked like I was productive, but really just played with my dogs. It is early days for us. We cannot rush things.
 
I take Tylenol once in a while. Last night my knee was so grouchy I dug out a percocet! Can't take that if I have to work the next day - makes me foggy. But I had climbed in a very sloth-like fashion up and down a step ladder as I arranged some Christmas decorations on Saturday, so I deserved to hurt! My knee has not given its approval for that activity!
 
Wow, that's great that you can climb the ladder. I still take the occasional Norco or oxycodone if the pain is bad, not often though. I can go up and down stairs normally, but my right quad is still quite weak, so it takes a fair amount of effort. I don't think feeling weak and tired is unexpected at 8 weeks, I'm just ready to feel like myself again.
 
You are doing GREAT! This journey is a long one. As the Adm say, its a marathon, not a sprint! I'm at almost 5 mon and have moments when I "forget" about my new knee. I still poop out by late afternoon, so I have adjusted my expectations ( for now) and schedule to include " resting" late afternoon ( sitting in my recliner and watching Food Network! ) But, for the most part, I am able to do whatever I want. You WILL get here, too! It's that patience thing AGAIN!
 
Thanks so much for the words of encouragement, I forgot to add that I had my first outpatient PT was last Thursday, and although it was very gentle, I was more active than usual, and I think it took a lot out of me. Not to mention that I waited 45 mins (sitting) in the pharmacy for a prescription. Then I got a little crazy on Friday. I get these bursts of energy when I feel like I can do everything, but I must learn to take things a little at a time. About a month ago, I got a horrible stomach bug and couldn't get out of bed for 10 days! I lost quite a bit of weight, so maybe I'm not completely back on my feet from that.

@Thesoutherncook, how were you at two months, and we're you still taking pain meds?
 
At 2 mon I was chomping at the bit! :heehee: I had absolutely NO patience! I took pain meds at night and occasionally before outpatient PT. I had little pain, but quite a bit of swelling. My energy level was the pits! We went to ATL
( 2 hrs by car) for one of the Grand's birthday party and it wiped me OUT! But, it gets better.... Every month is better/ different. Take the pain meds if and when ( or before) you NEED them, rest before you poop out and ice and elevate when you rest.
 
I can see where swimming of any kind would wear you out. I was 8 months out when I swam and totally agree about the cold water! It never used to bother me, but now it seems to make my knee stiff. We had a lot of cool weather this summer and the pool never seemed to get warm. I was still squealing in August as I walked in. I didn't try diving into the water for a whole year.
 
Hi Julie. How is PT going? I see that they are your neighbor! What a small world we live in. I wish I could swim..well I can swim....just too embarrassed to put on a bathing suit now! Ha!
 
It sounds like I'm about on target for two months. I got a phone call from my new boss asking me for something she couldn't find. She so lovely and conscientious, but I was a puddle of tears after the call. I was triggered about going back to work, and how physically unready I am. I've been trying not to worry, but I realize how no one can really understand what it's like to recover from this surgery unless they've had it. So many people go back really early... I just don't know how they do it. Maybe I'm a wimp. Anyway, I'm not going back until mid-January, so I'll try to take things day by day. I'm hoping for a financial windfall, so I can retire early! :loll:

Swimming is something that's going to have to wait for awhile, although I can go float around in the warm indoor pool. Oh the bathing suit thing... I decided not to worry too much. I can't imagine that many people my age are comfortable strutting around in a tiny lycra suit. There are all shapes and sizes at my pool and nobody cares. Exercise, other than what I do daily at home and short walks, is terribly draining, so I probably won't get back in the water for a couple of months.

PT is going well. I only need to go once a week, unless I want to join their class on Tuesdays, which I don't. He gave me a few stretches and some strenthening exercies, plus 5 mins on the stationary bike, 3x a day. I'm mainly working on my extension, which is 7, and not very comfortable for walking. He does not buy into the "no pain, no gain" philosophy, and just does some gentle coaxing and encouragement. He gave me a wonderful massage about midway through the session, which really loosened things up. Even still, my leg gets warm and tight, so I ice and elevate whenever I can. Oh and take pain meds if I need to.

I cry a lot, and I'm not normally much of a crier. Not sure why, but just writing about it makes me tear up. I imagine I'm a little depressed, but again, I'm not sure of the reason... perhaps major surgery?

So nice to connect again. Have a restful evening.
 
I gave up on the bathing suit embarrassment a few years ago. At nearly 60 I figure no one is looking at me anyway. Crying was the norm for me and now my dad is in a major depression after his emergency THR. Time and rest will heal it all eventually.
 
Sorry to hear about your Dad's emergency surgery, Karri. Wishing you both health and healing. My mom and dad are 82 and 90, and it's so hard to see them age, especially my dad who's got dementia. At least he still has his silly sense of humor. I always figured they were going to be with me forever... sounds ridiculous, but it's true.

Janis, if this crying thing doesn't pass, I will become terribly dehydrated and need IV fluids. :swoon:
 
Thinking of you Julie. Hang in there. :) I think crying is just fine and if you cannot cry now well then when? Really, such a major thing your body has gone through. Not that I would really know Julie, but I can certainly imagine. I think you just have to keep reminding yourself that you have done this for the long term....not short. I can also see where everyone might think that now that I have done this..... life should be better sooner rather than later. However, considering what it all entails more than likely not really. I also definitely feel that the pain meds have a bit to do with your mood. I imagine you may have to think of the way you may feel this time next month rather than day to day. Perhap's it could be compared to having a baby. Some folks seem to be able to pop them out instantly with little recovery time and others like myself, LOL seemed to take forever both to have my kids and then to recover. Just enjoy not working and watch some good movies and do all of the things you have always wanted to do but did not have the idle time to do it. Try to enjoy the holiday season and before you know it, your leg will be something you do not even think about. :) :):)
 
Hi @swmrgirl so glad you reconnected, it is good to hear from you.
No you are not a wimp, this is way more difficult than I would ever have imagined.
I can definitely relate to people not understanding just what you have been through. My daughter and sons, bless them, ask me almost everyday "how is your knee?" One son finally watched the surgery on YouTube and he now gets it, but I have had to explain to my daughter several times just what was done to the knee and how it can take up to a year to recover. Some days I deal with feeling guilty for not already being up and back in the game. So you are not alone.
As far as being in a bathing suit....yikes!!
But we do have a YMCA that has a therapy pool, temperature of the water is around 93-95 degrees...heavenly while swimming but such a drag afterwards, stripping out of drippy wet suit in the A/C locker room!
Relax and enjoy the holiday season and I bet you will be doing much better come January. ❤
 
So many people go back really early... I just don't know how they do it. Maybe I'm a wimp.
Yes, some do go back early - before the minimum of 12 weeks that we recommend - but they usually pay for it with increased pain and swelling.

You're not a wimp. You're doing fine.
 
If you're like me, there will be a major difference between 8 and 12 weeks. But even at 12 weeks you won't be up to full strength.
 
Happy Boxing Day everyone. I had a delightful, low-key Christmas celebration with my immediate family yesterday, and then more festivities with my extended family today. It was sweet, but I overdid it yesterday, and I was very tired today. I'm home now connected to my ice machine with my leg up. I've been making steady progress with a few dips in the road. I released myself from PT last week because I felt I had done as much as I could with the therapist. Also, he would massage my knee front and back, and it ended up being quite sore for a few days afterward. My ROM is around 4/115, so I still have room for improvement, but I'm getting there. The cool, rainy weather seems like it makes my knee crankier than it would be in spring or summer. I'm wondering if spring might be a good time to have my second knee done.

I'm planning to return to work part-time around the 5th of January. I'm feeling apprehensive about it because my energy is still limited, but I can no longer put off the inevitable. For some reason, my hands get extremely shaky when I exert myself, and it doesn't take much to get it going. Has anyone else experience this?

Wishing you all a restful weekend.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom