TKR Swmrgirl Is Up For Air

I woke up this morning feeling like I wanted to take my leg off and give it to someone else to else to deal with for awhile.
.... :rotfl:

Just to be clear, I don't want to down play your feelings.. The humor can probably only be appreciated once you have gotten further along in your recovery.. I can remember thinking EXACTLY that.. The good news is that it will get better.. after time, a lot of icing, resting, elevating and patience.

You are doing GREAT! I remember the first hairwash in the sink... and the first shower, and the exhaustion...

You will get past wanting to take you leg off and give it to someone else, but it might take a while. Honestly, there are times (not DAYS, but moments) where I still feel that way, but they are getting fewer and fewer as the days and weeks pass. Remember, this is a long recovery.. Work on the patience.. and the recovery will happen in time..

And.. yes, I'm sleeping on my stomach now! But.. again, I'm over 3 months out and it's really only been in the last couple weeks that I've been able to do that.. I may be slow, as many of the BoneSmarties here started being able to sleep on their sides MUCH more quickly than I.. Listen to all the suggestions and just find out what works best for you!!! You are definitely on the RIGHT path!!! :yes:
 
The nap helped a a lot, and I probably slept better because I was clean on clean sheets.

My PT session was so wonderful and reassuring. I lost some ROM in the last few days and was worried about that. PT said that I was probably up too much, because she could see that the swelling had increased since Saturday, and I should rest, ice and elevate. I'm allowed to do some very gentle stretches if I feel up to it. I was honestly dreading her visit, but ended up feeling so glad she came today. She said that the goal of the OS was to get me to 90, but I should remember that overdoing it won't get me anywhere. She'll be back in Thursday. How did I get so lucky?

I can see how easy it would be to get discouraged, which is why staying connected to others who are experiencing the same things is so important for me. I think I'll take some good advise I heard here which is to stop being competitive and go at my own pace. This is not a race to the finish. :swim:
 
Oh I need the humor @Braunzie! If I don't make fun of myself, I'll go insane. I unintentionally had the PT laughing today in describing the contortions I go through in order to get myself situated. And then she took that subject and turned it into a lesson on TKR body mechanics. For the benefit of others on BS, I keep my sarcasm in check most of the time :heehee: Your encouragement is much appreciated.

Yes @Clipless, my headache is finally gone... what a relief. TKRs should not have to get headaches!:bricks:
 
You're doing GREAT! I had to chuckle over your post about wanting to give your knee to someone else... I told my DH at about your point that I was DONE and having no part in finishing this recovery. Someone ELSE could do it! Lol! I'm still here with my new knee and doing well. So, take heart. What you are feeling is perfectly normal! And it WILL get better! Wonderful that you have a good therapist! That makes a HUGE difference! Hang in there! :ok:
 
Helen - I am encouraged to hear that you haven't given away your new knee...there's hope for me, yet.

Before surgery I was a morning person but right now not so much. I'm sure that'll change as my knee starts to heal.

It's 9am, the sun is out, the birds are singing, and my kitty is curled up at my feet. I think it's a good time for a nap. :chillpill:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hang in there!!! It does get better even though it sometimes feels it won't.
 
Nap, watch bad tv, go on line because this all will pass and you'll be up and running around before you know it. It does seem forever when going through it, but I will say that I enjoyed not getting up before dawn to get ready for work. It's 6:10 am and I've already had breakfast and am putting my face on. I'll think of you napping through the day. :sleep:
 
Since surgery I have slept as I can through the night -it's been a struggle- then getting up for breakfast, meds, and a few stretches, then sleeping soundly (I think) while my boy is off at school and the house is quiet. I figure there's nothing wrong with getting turned around like this, as long as it's temporary.
 
@KarriB I was awake at 3:30am Pacific Time to get you message. I just didn't want you to be lonely :loveshwr:

@Joyfull61 I think you may have come up with something there, let's keep working on that!

Yes @Clipless because if I'm not careful, I could make a lifestyle of this. Actually, it still feels weird to be lying around and sleeping during the day.
 
But, you will reach a point where your body will say, "WHAT? No nap today?? " Then your knee will swell so much that you have to elevate,ice and before you know it you'll be nodding off..... Just like an old grandma! :wink:
 
Without a doubt, Helen! :heehee:

Today is one of those low days. Feeling a little shaky, nauseous and weak. I woke up feeling this way and haven't gotten up much except to walk to the bathroom. On the upside, I have almost no pain at all, except for a little soreness near my incision. My leg feels a little bruised and stiff but overall very tolerable. I think I can lower my daytime pain meds a little, but I'm reluctant to do so until I feel better. Any ideas about what could be going on, or is this just part of the TKR package?
 
One of the experts @Celle or @Josephine are best to give professional advice. But, my 2 cents worth is keep taking the meds for a few days. I had a similar feeling and wound up taking Pepto Bismal which turned my tongue black! :flabber: Yes, all part of the roller coaster ride.:thud: Buckle up! It will soon be better. :console2:
Are you eating protein and carbs?? Your body needs nutrition even if you're not hungry. How about Ensure or Boost?
 
I haven't eaten much yesterday and today, but what I have eaten has been healthy. Homemade chicken soup or beef broth, pears, carrots, applesauce, chased by a few tears and growls. Can't have dairy, so ensure is out.
 
@swmrgirl you can make protein shakes with almond milk, banana, tad of peanut butter and protein powder. I am planning on having those while I recover. Freeze the banana, add ice...mmmmm smoothie!
 
Be sure that you're eating something with your pain meds. If I didn't eat something of substanance with my pain pill I got nauseous. After my infection surgery my OS wanted me on a high protein diet, but I wasn't hungry and I was eating hospital food for over a week. So I made sure I had eggs and sausage every morning and my family would bring me chicken or spaghetti with lots of meat in the sauce. I couldn't eat much, but I always had something with my meds.
 
Good advise coming my way. I'm probably not eating enough to coat my stomach before I take pain meds. I'll try simple smoothies and more protein and see if that makes a difference.
 
Your body is working hard to recover from the trauma and heal itself. It needs fuel. Plus those pain meds need a cushion to land on in your tummy and be carried to where they will do their job. This,too, shall pass. :whistle:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom