TKR Swmrgirl Is Up For Air

You do need to eat something with your pain meds, to combat the nausea. It doesn't have to be high-quality protein. A savoury cracker or two will be fine.

I found that, in the early days, toast and soup were all I could manage - something that's easily digested. Then I gradually moved on to more nourishing foods.
 
I second that, I through up after my surgery when they gave me a bunch of pain meds on an empty stomach


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I found that early on, over the counter nausea medicine helped.. at the suggestion of the pharmacist.. Hang in there, @swmrgirl!!! It is a rollercoaster, but the ride does slow down and come to an end.. (And then you'll want to do it again!! - NOT!!! hahaha! :rotfl:) - even though some of us have to.. - but.. it doesn't last forever!! and you're not alone! :friends: Hope you feel better!! :yes:
 
Thanks for your support everyone. It really does help! I feel badly that I'm not writing on other Bonesmartie's threads to cheer them on, but I just don't have it in me.

Had 2 visitors today, which exhausted me. I feel so fortunate to have friends who want to come by, but I think I need to hold off on that for another week or so. I don't think it matters how comfortable we are with our friends, it still takes extra energy to have them over. I think an15 minute visit might be just perfect.

PT comes at 2:00 tomorrow and I think that's quite enough.

Sweet dreams dear friends.
 
Exhaustion becomes a way of life for a while. I looked forward to visits too, but got so tired and a few times fell asleep while I had visitors. It will get better...
 
When I stopped by work yesterday one of my friends let it slip that a group of them were planning to descend on me en masse to "cheer me up". I put the kabosh on that right away- I'm not ready to entertain, not even close. I'd be happy to let them take me out for brunch or something, but I need a few more weeks.
 
@KarriB - i hope your day went well today. I was thinking of you getting ready to go to woke when I work for my 3AM feeding.

I was reading back through my recovery thread where you mentioned that you used Miralax. It's time for me to start using it. Since I'm not eating much, and taking oxy digestion has become a problem, of course. They gave me milk of magnesia in the hospital which was way too strong, so I'm not going to do that again! How many times a day were you using Miralax? Were you also taking Benefiber or something like that? I'm also eating prunes and pears but need more help.

Many thx!
 
I was eating salads, apples, raisins, but just not much of an appetite. The rehab had continued giving me a softener, I think Senacot, but it wasn't helping at all. I had never had this problem before. A nurse suggested Miralax, I went for it and think I just took it once a day until things got going. I didn't have to buy it once I got home so I'm not sure what the directions are. It is tasteless and just mixes with water. Hope it helps you. I didn't need any help after my infection surgery due to huge amount of antibiotics. While in rehab that time I stopped taking the Senacot they were giving me.
 
@swmrgirl k I was reading your post about feeling shaky, nauseous and weak and I can totally relate to that and I think it a mix of the anesthesia that takes time to leave our bodies and the pain meds. I had to stop the pain meds because I was not eating at all. when I did I started eating just boil mashed squash with one small potato since someone told me the squash cleans your liver I did that for about 3 days and if you can you can add a little piece of chicken breast boil in broth, actually I boiled the chicken in the broth and after a while I added the potato and the squash (very little potato, more squash)not the italian ,the yellow one like the butternut and alike. you can add a little salt and some olive oil if you like, after a few days of this diet I felt like new. I don't know if it works for everyone but it did the trick for me. I hope it does not sounds to weird to you. I hope you are feeling better and I,m happy that you are not experiencing a lot of pain . take care.

Lili
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@KarriB - thanks for the info. I think the Miralax will help.

@Lili -I'll try the squash. My appetite is still small but mild foods are good.

@Glamg1979 - I should have started with Miralax as soon as I got home, but the milk of magnesia I got in the hospital was so strong that I didn't want to use anything, but now I know better.
 
Had home PT yesterday afternoon, and last night and today have been very uncomfortable. The exercises seemed fairly gentle, but probably still too much for only 10 days out. I'm so frustrated for not setting better limits with the therapist. When I see her on Monday, I'm going to set up some rules about my own expectations. She's very sweet and will probably listen to me, I just need to be very clear about the things I won't do. Perhaps I won't do any PT at all!
 
Did you see the "Sick Soup" recipe I sent Sarah Jane when she had a cold? It might work for you, too.
Take it easy with PT. I was lucky and had a home PT who was all about gentle stretching and massage. I actually looked forward to him coming.
 
Oh, oh - watch that PT ! I thought I was being careful and ended up with a soft tissue injury . Ive been mostly off my feet for almost 2 weeks now with no exercise and not much progress on the pain yet. Interestingly , my ROM iS still just fine, about 120. I did try to remember the no pain = more gain rule but got caught up with a nice PT who somehow convinced me that a little pain is normal and that I wouldn't get better unless I worked hard ... WRONG !! Take it slow and easy
 
Helen, I did not see your soup recipe, but will look for it!

I had great ROM before surgery, and was a little surprised that my leg is so stiff now. I do believe with rest and healing, it will come back. I've had shooting pains in my leg and foot this afternoon, and this is the most pain I've had since surgery. I've had to bump up my pain meds. It feels like something's wrong in there.
 
Remember this is not a linear recovery. It's up and down with good days and bad days mixed in. Take it easy, stay on schedule with meds and stay off your leg, the knee will calm down again.
I had in home PT after my infection, but I wasn't allowed to bend my knee! After one session, I told the PT not to come back until I was allowed to bend my knee. I was so depressed I didn't feel like doing any PT.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom