TKR Swmrgirl Is Up For Air

The house doc I mentioned was foreign, Nigerian possibly. I figured that was why. There was a mix up with a script I should've had and found listed in my paperwork a month later, something for sleeping. That would've been nice the first 3-4 weeks. I wonder if your headache could be from the spinal block.
 
@swmrgirl i have been having a "hangover" headache along with a back of the neck/bottom of the skull ache that i am blaming on postitioning during surgery (intubated) and then lots of walking with my shoulders and neck tightening. Tylenol has helped and being aware of my body has helped.
 
I just got a call from home health nurse. She said it sounds like a spinal headache, so we're adding 1000mg tylenol 4x per day. It's not a terrible headache, just annoying. Even with this headache, I did much better with the spinal than I would have with general. Trying to be aware of my body positioning so I don't throw my shoulders or neck out of whack.
xo
 
@swmrgirl, glad you received a call from nurse.

Keeping a positive attitude and remember that this a journey. I expect my life will be much improved over the next year.

I so agree with you on the above statement. Even though I'm not yet five weeks out, I'm better than I was preop. There are still many limitations, but I expect all of them to disappear one by one. Each day I'm noticing an improvement, might be tiny but it's an improvement.:yes:

I could have used more pain medication than what my doctor has prescribed as I would get uncomfortable about hour 5. I'm now just trying to stretch out my meds until my next appt in a week and a half. I will probably shoot an email Monday and see if they will mail a new prescription.:fingersx:
 
I totally empathize with your headache. I had one off and on for the first week. At times the headache was worse than the surgery pain! I suspected spinal because I remember the anesthesiologist digging around back there a while (she left 3 holes and a bruise). A sign of spinal headache is that it lessens/goes away when you lie down flat. Mine felt like possibly a combination of spinal plus migraine, which I am prone to anyway. But mostly migraine.

Feel better soon!
 
My husband just washed my hair in the sink. Ahh, I feel so much better :happydance:
Sorry your meds aren't quite right @wings, I hope you can get that straightened out soon. It seems hard to get the perfect balance.

I think this is a spinal headache @Clipless because it feels so much better when I lie flat. The Tylenol is taking the edge off, so it's more tolerable. Each day is something different, but none of it has been terrible. :dancy:
 
Thanks, @Glamg1979. It helps to have friends out there on the interwebs to connect with.
Home health was here to do an assessment. She was so sweet, and didn't push me to do anything, just a few heal slides and foot on rolled up towel for a few minutes. ROM is not remarkable, 11/68 good enough for the fourth day out. Took a long nap after her visit, it's amazing how much that took out of me. :swoon:
 
I just took my first shower since surgery and it felt so good! It wasn't too difficult to manage because I am able to tolerate a fair amount of weight on my new knee, but I see what everyone means about how tiring it is. I need a cup of tea, my ice machine and a very long nap.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats! I took a nap after my first shower, but oh it felt so good! I loved the shower seat I had - ahhhh how relaxing.

- Another Julie (on the other side of the country)
 
It felt heavenly.

I woke up this morning feeling like I wanted to take my leg off and give it to someone else to else to deal with for awhile. It's like I'm hauling around a giant tree trunk, very stiff and unwieldy. It's strange because it doesn't bother me to bear weight on it, I just can't bend it much at all. Mornings are the most difficult time for me. Home PT is coming this afternoon and I know I need to be strong and not let her push me, just worried about what she's going to say about my ROM.
 
Don't worry about what the PT says about your ROM. It's only just over a week since you had major surgery and your leg is swollen. It won't bend properly until most of that swelling is gone, so don't let her/him try to force it.
The ROM will come.
 
Thanks Celle. They do a major head trip on us in the hospital, so I'm trying to keep my priorities clear. Having now gone through the surgery, I can't figure out how OSs and PTs can possibly expect anyone at this stage to achieve any more ROM than they already have. I just makes no sense to me.

Today day is a little more challenging than before. This would be a good day to let my knee be in charge.
 
Another hurdle you have accomplished, the shower. You are making good progress so don't let PT undo that!
 
Having now gone through the surgery, I can't figure out how OSs and PTs can possibly expect anyone at this stage to achieve any more ROM than they already have. I just makes no sense to me.
I couldn't agree more!

I did minimal PT for my revision to TKR and no PT at all for my latest TKR. Both my knees have excellent ROM and I can do anything I want to with them.
 
A shower makes you feel like a new person, doesn't it? A new, very tired, but happy to be clean person. Hope your PT session went well.
 
It does feel great! But whipped! Everything you do takes so much. Hope the nap helped.
 
Is your headache gone? I hear you on the cup of tea, so comforting- the downside, however, is waking from that deep nap with the urgent need to rush to the restroom... with two happy dogs underfoot and no good way to "rush" anywhere.
 
Back
Top Bottom