Bilateral TKR Suzzee 2000's race to a new life.....

Hello Suzy , You made it home , way to go ! So glad to hear you are doing well. Remember frequent iceing and proper elevation are the rule with proper med management. Also resist temptation to do too much . It can happen very fast and it doesnt take much, either. It will swell up and make bending very difficult . Dont get discouraged , it happens to everybody, but learn for it . !! Did they use glue on your incisions? Well Suzy , keep up the great work . All is well here . Best wishes.
 
@icep707 I can see where doing too much could easily happen!! I am trying not to and I am going to have to watch it because of feeling so good! My husband is taking off this week before returning to work and my daughter in law will be coming everyday to help with the children next week. That should help me so much. I can do the little things but I can't handle all the work load on top of all the school work which is just using my mind and that alone makes me tired!!!

Did they use glue on your incisions?
I wish he would have but no I had staples but now that they are out and the swelling is going down they don't look half bad!!

You are doing so great @icep707 I hope you continue on your successful journey without a hitch!!! Thanks for stopping by!!!!!
Well Tim I'm off to finish this assignment that is due by midnight tonight!!!
 
F


RTKR - 9th December, 2013

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Suzzee and to all 'Recoveries'.


and sat on the porch and soaked up some sun for a few minutes yesterday

I read in my Skin Care - Surgical Incision Guide something I did not know and want to pass it along:

"Do not expose your incision to direct sunlight. Bad scarring can occur if you get sunburn on the new skin forming over the cut".

This was something that I have never heard of before. Maybe others can report on what they were told.

Tom
 
I wish I could check "like, informative, agree, love, friendly, best post ever" etc for your 9 a.m. post @suzzee2000 .:goodpost: It seems like when I first encountered you on Bonesmart, our surgeries were so close together. I'm three days away and you are well on your way to recovered!!!!:yes!: It makes me feel like the road ahead won't be so bad.:angel:And, I'm thrilled for you that things are going as smoothly as they are.:spin:Keep up the good attitude. You are being rewarded for being so positive!:yes!:
 
@Tomel, and @suzzee2000, yes I was told to make certain that I apply suntan lotion if going to be out in the sun. If not the incision will become much darker than the other skin and be more prominent. Now if they informed me of that many of you whom are fair skinned need to be careful with the incision in the sun. Part of my incision is already darker than the rest of my skin and Lord knows with this weather my knee has been double covered with long johns and slacks. So remember if op knee is out apply and reapply sun tan lotion after coming out of water.

Suzzee2000, I am so happy that you have adequate help arranged and that you are doing splendidly well. I agree with BigBend, you do have a wonderfully positive attitude. That helps in the healing process as well. Keep on doing what you are doing, but don't over do. Thank you for wishing us all well. Have a good evening.
 
@Tomel , I used to get keloids (scar tissue) on skin injuries. Last year I had a mole removed from my face and for the first time got skin care instructions. I kept it moist (vasoline) and out of the sun until well healed. No scar! So, yes, as @chestnc and your information suggests, keep those knees from sunburn!
 
It seems like when I first encountered you on Bonesmart, our surgeries were so close together. I'm three days away and you are well on your way to recovered!!!!:yes!: It makes me feel like the road ahead won't be so bad.
WOW you are almost there BigBend!!!! April 3rd is my nieces 10th birthday and you will be on my mind and in my prayers for a speedy recovery! As I have said the first 3 days were very difficult but everything became gradually easier and here I am today!!! YOU WILL DO JUST FINE!!!! We will all be waiting to cheer you on when you get "to the other side" :)


I read in my Skin Care - Surgical Incision Guide something I did not know and want to pass it along:
"Do not expose your incision to direct sunlight. Bad scarring can occur if you get sunburn on the new skin forming over the cut".
This was something that I have never heard of before. Maybe others can report on what they were told.
:goodpost:
I had a mole removed from my face and for the first time got skin care instructions. I kept it moist (vasoline) and out of the sun until well healed. No scar!

yes I was told to make certain that I apply suntan lotion if going to be out in the sun.
:thumb:
That is certainly GREAT to know @Tomel @chestnc @BigBend !!! I have never heard that but sure will be keeping my knees from the sun for sure now!!! I'm glad I just sat in the sun for a few....long pants so the knees were ok! :)
@chestnc Is that forever? Or while we are recovering??

I wish I could check "like, informative, agree, love, friendly, best post ever" etc for your 9 a.m. post @suzzee2000
That is the nicest compliment BigBend!! THANKS!!! :flwrysmile:
I know what you mean about that!! I've wanted to check more than one thing more than once myself!!! :)

I personally think having a positive attitude helps in recovery I was mentally prepared for this surgery! I was very scared but I tried to read everything I could, knowing something could go wrong was scary but for me it didn't go wrong, so I am one thankful woman!!!
Thanks everyone for the kind compliments! :friends::friends:I have my eyes open for the differences and it seems the positive attitude does help and if not.....then what does it hurt? :SUNsmile:


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
You are almost 4 months in recovery Jozilla!!! So happy things are going good for you too!!! :yes::yes:
 
Hi @suzzee2000, glad to hear you are doing well. Will check regarding that sun restriction with my OS next month unless someone has a definitive answer before that.
 
Will check regarding that sun restriction with my OS next month unless someone has a definitive answer before that.
I just got back from my 4 week check up ( well almost 4 week check up) appointment with my OS!! I asked him about the sun and he said just watch it while you are healing up in another month or so it should be just fine! :)
Thanks for thinking about it chestnc!!! :)
 
My Almost 4 week check up went GREAT!!!! I am SO HAPPY and so is my OS...in a nutshell He was very happy with my progress! I have to be honest with all of you.....Coming to Bonesmart and reading everything I could about this surgery and recovery really helped me prepared in all aspects of the surgery!! I am still referring to the Total Knee Replacement and Rehabilitation book by Daniel J. Brugioni MD....(recommended here)!
I did and still do my PT faithfully, iced and kept up on my meds. I did not elevate like the mantra said because they "the PT" wouldn't let me. Now that I am home I do :heehee: a lot and it feels GREAT!!! I'm not sure why but they wouldn't let me elevate they just said it was better if I didn't. I just left it like that and I'm so glad it turned out good!! Other than that everything went perfect as planned!!!
:happydance:
#1 My ROM is115....and that is good!
#2 He said I can DRIVE so now I can go back to College!!!!!! Getting my Handicap sticker too! !:yahoo:
#3 I can go to rehab IF I WANT TO!!!! and I am going to go once a week just to keep myself in check!
#4 he showed me my x-rays and explained everything and:yes!: yes my NEW BIONIC KNEES LOOK PERFECT!!
#5 He gave me a card to carry about, infections and procedures and also gave me instructions and a prescription for antibiotics just in case!!!:yes:
#6 He gave me a card to carry about going off in metal detectors too
#7 He said just be careful in the sun until my scar heals up nice ( about another month or so)

I have my next appointment in 4 weeks! Hope my report is good then too! I will continue working hard to keep myself in check!!! :thumb:
GOOD LUCK TO ALL MY BONESMART FRIENDS!! MAY YOU BE PAIN-FREE ALL WEEK!!!!
 
THANKS @Tomel sure looks like it!~ How are you doing?? That home cooking still helping you recover nicely?
 
It must be the cooking and all the naps. Had my second out patient PT this morning then we went out to lunch. You know, must treat the spouse for all the TLC, but since I didn't have my wallet, she had to pay. Oh well, my heart was in the right place.
So today I am two weeks out. ROM was 2 and 110 on both. They say I'm right on track and each day is a little better.. Only using the walker during the night as a safety precaution and my hiking poles outside on pavement. The yard will wait for a while until I'm ready. Besides my wife fills the bird feeders for me.

I'm so happy that you have your driving back, that is such a milestone. Thanks for stopping by, Tom
 
@suzzee2000, You sound like you got he A+ stamp of approval from your OS. You really have done well. I give you folks with BTKR and those with youngsters and have both done so much credit. Not to discount how well we all have done to get to the points where we are. It just seems so much more difficult to have both done at the same time. You are doing really well Suzzee. Keep up the good work!! :thumb:
 
@chestnc I did I did!!!! I am sooooo excited about it! Mind you my knees are still sore daily and swell and hurt and I have to keep icing and etc....but I am ON THE MEND!!!! That is the most important part!! :)
I know what you mean about having both done and I tell you it was a ride as I know you know that....but you just do what you have to. The scariest part was being totally helpless for a week or so.....having to depend on someone for your every need was unnerving to be honest with you!!! It propels you to a new level of LET ME GET OUTTA HERE AND GET WELL!!! :yes:
How are you feeling @chestnc?? I know you are suffering with RA as well as your knee! But, you are also doing fantastic with your recovery! Appreciate your stopping in friend!!! :friends:
 
So today I am two weeks out. ROM was 2 and 110 on both. They say I'm right on track and each day is a little better.
@Tomel you are doing FANTASTIC-O!!! Keep up the good work and oh boy.... :snork: on leaving your wallet at home.....now that is classic!!! :heehee:
Glad you have a super wife!!!! You got this! :thumb:
 
Oh my God ! You are doing so fantastic, you and Tom. Its already 4 weeks !! Time is a flying . Its unbelievable. Ill be honest , I was praying you would have a great recovery with minimal pain BUT I thought BOY !!! Shes in for a surprise. I even pictured you screaming hysterically in pain and screaming why me ! Why me! So needless to say im glad that my prayers were answered. Dont over do it !!!! Ok bye now
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom