Bilateral TKR Suzzee 2000's race to a new life.....

Dear Friends! Even though I haven't been here for a while.... my mind has been here. I have wanted to stop in and post and read up on how all of you are doing but I have been cramming to get through these last few weeks of College finished. It has proven to be a nightmare most of the time. I have been tired, sore and discouraged most of the time but tomorrow is my last day.....My math teacher has proven to be the thorn in my side this semester.... He is a very nice man but a very disorganized retired Math teacher who fills in at the College and doesn't really seem to care one way or another.....I've worked so hard to stay ahead of my studies. but it has been so stressful.....Now I only have 3 Math tests to do tomorrow, then I will be caught up in that class and finished for the semester.
My recovery has been mostly on my mind...With my lifestyle I must admit....it has been difficult to recover the way I should...Some days have been wonderful and then other days I have stayed in bed as much as possible icing, elevating, resting and being miserable.....It has been so hard...... I know by what everyone said it would be a long hard road....I am no different....just a person that happens to have different circumstances.....My husband has long gone back to work and has been gone over 2 weeks now. My daughter is full time in College and sure doesn't have helping with the children on her agenda....
I want you to know....I am NOT SORRY I had my bilateral! I know I have an insane lifestyle!! But it would never have changed...... so I did what needed to be done and I am very thankful that I am on the road to recover even though it has been so difficult.
My new knees feel fantastic....it's the surgical pain....I work like crazy my knees cry and when they finally scream STOP......I do stop and stay in bed....of course not for long but stay in bed as much as I possibly can!
As soon as my last class is over tomorrow, I am going for my PT then to my surgeon. I am planning on having a nice heart to heart talk with him about my recovery and pain situation. At my last appointment he prescribed 15 days worth of pain medication but an appointment in 30 days. Of course I began to run out...started holding back as much as I could and needless to say, spent 3 days in agony. I did call for a refill of which they did give me another 10 day supply. It shocks me that Surgeons let alone Doctors are overly careful as to not over prescribe pain medication. You would think those of us who have undergone knee replacement surgery just might have a pretty good excuse to have what we need to be pain free
After tomorrow afternoon I will feel free....free to recover....free to come in and check on everyone....free to take my time on the things that need done...free to relax and will have 3 weeks off before the children are out of school....I pray this will be the turning point in my recovery.
To everyone that reads this..... know I think of all of you often and will be back to try and encourage you on your journey to recovery as I struggle to continue on with mine....... I miss reading your posts and comments and appreciate all the times you've encouraged me!!!!
PS....Thanks for the sweet comments @Tomel and @BigBend ..
 
I want you to know....I am NOT SORRY I had my bilateral! I know I have an insane lifestyle!! But it would never have changed...... so I did what needed to be done and I am very thankful that I am on the road to recover even though it has been so difficult.
I agree with you so very, very much! My BTKR recovery was longer than I thought it would be (whose isn't?) and it was also challenging---but I am so very, very glad that I did it---after "the dust settled", I was amazed to find out hoh grate I felt and what I could do---and enjoy it---while being pain-free!
 
It took me six months to get to 80%-85%, and eight months before I was 90%-95%. Slowly after that, i reached full recovery, and I have been very, very happy about my decision to have a BTKR ever since!
 
Good luck on the tests tomorrow, suzzee. Yes, you have an insane life....but a present life making way for a better future life. I repeat my admiration that you have been able to do all of these things while recovering from a really hard surgery. Only those of us who have had TKRs, whether single or bilateral, can know how truly difficult and long the road can be. I appreciate more and more the need for patience, allowing recovery to proceed at its own pace but recognizing the emotional and psychological toll that it takes.

My thoughts and prayers are with you as you catch up and end your semester.....with hopes you can rest and recuperate.:prayer:
 
So good to hear from you. I am amazed at how much you have done. I do hope the end of the semester goes well and you can get some rest! Take care!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
Welcome back Suzzee.
Best of luck on your tests today, things will get better. I'm only ten days behind you and still amazed at what you are doing at this point.
We all missed you!
Tom
 
Hoping today was an amazing day for you! Exams done, session with PT and that ever important conversation with the OS!
Keep us posted with the outcome! We celebrate with you!


BTKR 1 April 2014
 
t took me six months to get to 80%-85%, and eight months before I was 90%-95%. Slowly after that, i reached full recovery, and I have been very, very happy about my decision to have a BTKR ever since!
To be honest I can't wait for that day! It's gonna be sweet and BTW....YOU are the best moderator on this forum!! In MHO of course!!! :)


appreciate more and more the need for patience, allowing recovery to proceed at its own pace but recognizing the emotional and psychological toll that it takes.

That is SO TRUE!!!! It's very hard to explain to people who have not been through it! That's another reason I missed this forum so much!!!

My thoughts and prayers are with you as you catch up and end your semester

Thanks for the prayers Bigbend!! I needed them.....I don't think I did too well on those Math finals but I got through them and am finished!!! :yes:


We all missed you!
Tom
:wave: Thanks Tom!!!!!! :)

Keep us posted with the outcome! We celebrate with you!
Thanks for taking the time to stop in Eva and for celebrating with me!!!!! :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I went to PT yesterday and was weepy and in pain the whole session which is a good thing, because when it was time to see the surgeon I felt much better! I also scheduled myself to 2 PT's a week now that my semester has ended. I really feel the difference when I go. I enjoy it and will continue for the next few weeks until the children get out of school!
To back up....... I was having a lot problems with the incision in my left leg. I had about 5 different places that broke out with little small pockets of puss....I fixed them with neosporan and band-aids I also began to take the antibiotics he had given me for infection in case of an emergency.
We talked about it and he said I did the right thing by taking the antibiotics, then noticed quite a few left over stitches (inside stitches) that were coming out of the incision. They took out about 6-7 that felt and looked like splinters but they were white. AND yes some of them hurt when they pulled them out!!!! Hopefully this will help my left leg feel better!!!
He said he knew I over did things but that he was glad I was not lazy.....he said some people only move their legs when the therapists do it and those type people never reach their full potential because of it. On the other hand he said as long as I do what I feel comfortable doing to go ahead and then STOP and REST when my body tells me too! He said I was doing really well!
He said it was normal to also be on this emotional roller coaster! He said it is part of the recovery process and I would be ok.
He gave me another prescription for the antibiotics and pain-pills and told me not to get it filled until a few days before mine ran out. He said to call a couple days in advance for a refill and they would do it. He said it was never a problem to have a refill and that he knew how we need it and some more than others.
Next appointment 6 weeks~!.....I am the road to a full recovery.......just need a little extra dose of patience.... :chillpill: is the only thing that will help me slow down and rest though!!!!!!:heehee:
 
Hope you did well. Pretty funny on that Math. Some of the Licenses I had to get for my job had some tough Math questions & I remember on one they gave a number that you did not need in the equation to try to trip you up.
For some reason all that Math that Everyone thinks you will never need in a Million years came back to me after 30 years. We didn't even have calculators or computers back then. Fingers, toes & an Abacus. :loll:
Take some time to walk barefoot & sit in the sun, relax & thank the people that watch over you from above.
 
On a positive note.....I had BKTR on Apr 7th. Yesterday my PT helped me walk the basement stairs. A little painful but once I got up stairs I felt great with little pain. I always take a pain pill before PT. Today I took some mail to the mail box and once I got outside and the weather was so nice I went for a short walk. Felt great. The purpose of this post is to let you know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I still have a long way to go but everyday there is some improvement. Sometimes small but still a plus. Hang in there.
 
We talked about it and he said I did the right thing by taking the antibiotics, then noticed quite a few left over stitches (inside stitches) that were coming out of the incision. They took out about 6-7 that felt and looked like splinters but they were white. AND yes some of them hurt when they pulled them out!!!!

I had a couple of those white "splinters" poking out, too! Boy are they irritating when a pants leg happens to rub against them. Today, in PT, my therapist massaged them vigorously and they fell off! No pain in doing so.

Keep up the positive attitude!
 
I went for a short walk. Felt great. The purpose of this post is to let you know there is a light at the e

WOW you are doing awesome!!! A short walk only a couple of weeks out is really great! I was just getting out the Nursing home!!!:yes:

We didn't even have calculators or computers back then
:heehee: Believe me it saved me!! I didn't even know how to use a calculator when I got into that math class!!!:heehee:

Boy are they irritating when a pants leg happens to rub against them.
Yes, Phil.....I know what you mean and I didn't know what to do! I did pull a couple out of my right leg but my left leg I could barely see them!!!!
 
I don't think I would go pulling them out on my own. In fact, my PT specifically said not to.
 
Hi @suzzee2000 I'm so glad you got on well when you went to see the surgeon. I hope mine turns out to be as nice. I get to meet him for the first time next week. He was a stand In cover surgeon at the hospital who did my op. I have to travel to a different hospital to go and see him. He never introduced himself before the op or came to see me after. It was like he did the job and left. End of. This meeting has only come about because my GP is concerned with the fact that my knee is still so swollen and does not straighten properly.

Anyway take care Suzzee. I've enjoyed reading your posts and catching up. Thank you x x x x
 
To be honest I can't wait for that day! It's gonna be sweet and BTW....YOU are the best moderator on this forum!! In MHO of course!!! :)
Why, thank you very, very much!

We didn't even have calculators or computers back then.
I used a slide rule in high school---I showed one to some physics students one day---not only could they not believe it, but they also laughed for some time!
 
So glad things are working out for you, even if it is slowly. It is a test of patience. Be strong!
 
So glad things are working out for you, even if it is slowly. It is a test of patience. Be strong!
Not only does a TKR or a BTKR help us restore our lives with a new knee or new knees, we also find patience and other traits---strength and perseverance---that we did not know that we had.
 
Not only does a TKR or a BTKR help us restore our lives with a new knee or new knees, we also find patience and other traits---strength and perseverance---that we did not know that we had
I know I will see that as time goes on....and I am thankful for all of you who have blazed the trail before us to help us realize we are not alone and will be ok!
@waitingtogarden thank you for stopping in! I hope all is well with you in your recovery!!! I will check in on you!

This meeting has only come about because my GP is concerned with the fact that my knee is still so swollen and does not straighten properly.
@Nana moon 27 you certainly have had your fair share of a hard time in your recovery! I also hope he is a very nice and honest man about the problems you are having with your knee and will be able to help you get on the road to recovery better! GOOD LUCK!!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom