Guest viewing is limited

TKR Susie-Q's 2nd TKR Recovery Thread

What a fabulous uplifting report for all us newbies /2nd timers, sometimes we just need a reminder and proof that it does get better:santa-dance:- Like Jaycey, I too feel :mcoffee: reading all your activities, you are one very busy lady and it all sounds so wonderful - Wishing you a fabulous Christmas & New Year xxx
 
@Susie-Q You ROCK! I am overwhelmed making more party mix and buckeye candy today, Lol! I also got another massage this morning which was a little more relaxing than the first one. My body felt good after the massage!

ok, I’m off like a herd of turtles!
 
Last edited:
Yay!. This is very encouraging! I’m still a ways from doing the downstairs foot over foot. And, my balance is still a bit “ wonky”. Today at surgeon’s office to have them look at my stitches popping out ( the PA. Removed them, & everything is OK), they did a few x-rays, & I left my cane on my way to the x-ray room. Well, I found that the standing ones challenged my sense of balance! Looks like the cane & I are to remain companions whenever I’m outside home for a while yet...
Your cookies sound yummy! And I’m not even liking sweets still. ( no doubt that will change). You sound like you are pretty much getting back to normal. You need to “ R & R” for a bit after the holidays. I bet Miss Maggie the kitty would be happy to join you. . Do take care.
 
@Catalien45 I still use my cane some when I am out of my home. I am very unsteady in my driveway or if I step on any unlevel surface.
I am able to go up and down the stairs the proper way but it is painful. My muscles/knees are screaming at top and bottom of stairs!
WE WILL GET THERE!
 
@Susie-Q, great news on your stair descending prowess :yes!:

How was dinner? Please tell me I am alone in the Holiday ODIC.
 
ok, I’m off like a herd of turtles!
:heehee:

Thursday evening I was really sore and in pain. Not really The Knee but the rest of my body. I almost took some Advil but I was able to fall asleep so never did. The next day was more prep for dinner that night. Everything turned out great! I did the roast on the smoker (it was not really smoked, just seared on high and then turned down to 325 like a regular roast would be done). It was nice having my father in law over. My sister and husband left around 9:30 and it started snowing as they were leaving. The next day hubby had a sore throat and felt a cold coming on (no fever, not Covid) so he spent most of the day in bed sleeping. The kids and I played online games with my sis in law and her family via the tv (they live in CA). We ended up getting about 6 inches of snow overnight Sat and into yesterday and now this morning it's in the teens! Very cold for us in western WA. Hubby's feeling better, he's trying to decide whether to go out and get a test just for peace of mind. Daughter did not have to go to work today. I had plans to go up to Oak Harbor to visit a friend tomorrow, cancelled. We will be stuck in the deep freeze for the rest of the week. Not sure how this will change New Year's Day plans to have the family over here. Driving around isn't easy with compact snow and ice everywhere. We have a lot of hills in western WA.

Edited to say: I did put on all my layers and snow boots and went out with my daughter and Daisy and met our neighbors up at the open field and let the dogs play. So walking around in 6 inches of snow with my boots had no ill effects on The Knee. :snow:

FYI, after I went down the stairs with no pain, the next time I tried it I had pain. So things are still hit and miss but I'm having more pain-free descents than those with pain. Slow but sure! I'm able to sit at the table and play games and not even think about my knee. Not really doing my exercises like I should. Lazy Christmas-time is getting in my way.....
 
Not really doing my exercises like I should. Lazy Christmas-time is getting in my way.....
More like active Christmas time. Come sit by me Dear, here in the Holiday ODIC corner. I have a comfy seat for you and my ice machine is not in the way. My adult stair climbing is still about 70% (maybe 20% the last few days). Soon come now!

Your holiday time sounds like fun. I totally forget about the ability to play online games. What do you play?
 
Susie, unlike you, we have SPRINGTIME in Indiana which is NOT TYPICAL. It was mid 60’s here today and set a record for us for temperature and we’ve also only had a trace of snow for Dec. we generally have lots of snow and frigid temperatures in December.

Hawk2go, I love that phrase “Soon come
Now”. Have never heard that before.
 
Hi @ SusieQ & Hawk2go.... I did find myself in the ODIC for a few days. On Christmas Eve eve ( Thursday nite), once our grandson was asleep, my
husband, daughter & I stayed up talking til 11:30 or so .... latest we have been up since my TKR in early October! And then the 2 of us had to get up at 6 AM to do my infusion. It was well worth it. Little guy slept til 8:30 or so, & we got some good snuggles..
They went home midday, & instead of doing our wrapping, we both turned into total slugs! So here we are, Christmas morning, wrapping! We’d planned to leave right after my 2 PM. Infusion, & timing going well. Then the “ WhatsApp” text from our son, “how about we talk to y’all, & Tito & family in a few days...”. It was getting late in Italy, & of course, we said yes. Had a nice, long visit with all, including her family, which we loved. So we were frantically wrapping after, my husband loaded the car, & we headed out a bit later than planned, but OK. 45 minute drive there & back, my longest ride yet, but nice. We had a wonderful time with them all, our grandson kept explaining his new Velociraptor Dinosaur/ helicopter to us as we were about to leave. Finally, sorta sheepishly admitted, “ I just didn’t want you to leave...”. Really melted me. So! A really full Christmas, definitely downscaled for us, but wonderful.... and, exhausting! Both of us were tired Sunday, all day. But much better today with more wonderful memories.
And, today, my PICC line was removed, & I am now on oral liquid Keflex! The Dr said we can be a little more lenient on the timing; the IV antibiotic needed to be pretty much 6 AM, 2PM, & 10 PM. We can sleep in til 7 or 7:30 ... or even later ( tho we tend to be early risers). Still, this is real luxury.

Quick question...my Dr said I can start to rub vitamin E oil on my scar.....my husband got some vitamin E Cream at our health food store. Is that also acceptable? My arm is a bit irritated & raw feeling from the IV PICC line dressing that I’ve worn for the past 6 weeks, so I can use it on that, but wondering if it needs to be Vitamin E oil only, with nothing else in it.

And, yes, Hawkie, my husband is a real dear, and so supportive. My Grandmother, a very no-nonsense person who didn’t dish out a compliment unless she truly meant it ,said to a Very pregnant me many years ago,” Henry’s the best thing that ever happened to you. She was so right, 51 years, and, he’s truly a keeper. This second surgery really threw me, I’d have been hard pressed without his support. I’m very blessed.
I still am amazed at all you both do. Inspiration, and,I learn a lot. ODIC can take a bit to get your energy back. And that’s OK. I’m learning to rest when my body dictates, and to let my body heal in its own time. You both take care of yourselves. Your cookie swaps both sounded Wonderful. I’m inspired! OK! Kitty informs me it’s time to get off this pad & lay down for some Hercule Poirot! Sweet dreams, everyone
 
“ I just didn’t want you to leave...”
Awwww!!! So sweet!!! :loveshwr:

No rest for the weary! We tried to get hubby to the walk-in clinic to get Covid tested yesterday (I'm still 99% sure he has a cold, and a MAN COLD at that...) but in order to give peace of mind to other family members we thought we'd get him tested to make sure. Dr's office was closed yesterday and walk-in clinics were at capacity! Can't find a rapid test anywhere as they are all sold out. Luckily my nurse friend had given me a mail-in kit last summer. So after driving out in the snow to try and see if he could be squeezed in at the Walk-in clinic and a stop at the drug store for cough drops, snacks (and wine), we went out again to drop his mail-in test at the Pony Express to overnight it to CA. Then we went into the grocery store for a few more items. I drove both times! The roads were fine, compact snow and ice and some of the main roads are sanded AND we have snow tires. You might wonder why I drove and not the husband but I am a usually the driver when we go out as I get car sick if I don't and I'm not timid or a wall-flower (you may have guessed this already :rotfl: ) and hubby isn't one of those men who thinks THE MAN has to drive. Plus he has a MAN COLD and is incapacitated, right? (kidding)

Anyway, all this to say that yesterday was NOT a sit around and do nothing day. Today I walked the dog, in the snow. It was a bit tiring slogging around but no problems with The Knee. I do need to do my bike today, I've got to keep stretching it to get more ROM. Temps have warmed to the mid-20s and more snow expected on Thursday. Tonight will be back in the teens. @Sks1997 Sharon, we are getting your usual weather! This is unusual for the Pacific NW but this is a La Niña year which means colder and wetter for us. This is nothing compared to Montana! My cousin texted and they have -22!!! My sis in law and her girls are coming up tomorrow from CA and boy is this going to be climate shock for them. They are asking if we have extra boots they can borrow. Found out other family members have been diagnosed with Covid so not sure if the NY's Day event will happen or not. I need to know by Thursday to know whether to take my ribs out of the freezer or not. Also, bringing my 90 year old FIL over here in this weather might not be the best idea....
 
My Dr said I can start to rub vitamin E oil on my scar.....my husband got some vitamin E Cream at our health food store. Is that also acceptable?
I think that should be fine. The difference would be that the oil is likely pure Vit E (maybe with a coconut oil base) while the cream may have a lot of other ingredients. Be mindful of how your skin reacts.

@Susie-Q - I hope you sort the hubby out and settle the New Year Day celebrations. We've already called it here at Chez Hawkie, another quiet evening enjoying one another's company.
 
Thanks for the advice on the E cream , Hawkie..... it does have several other ingredients. I’ll be careful.
SusieQ, I do hope you get good results on your husband’s test. It sounded like you have a really nice celebration planned. Ours will be our usual quiet day here at home. All your plans sounded fun - and, delicious. Our son sent us a photo via WhatsApp of the pulled pork he’s cooking for the folks in Italy, and two sauces he made for it, looks Delicious, & he said the smell is driving them all crazy ( still 4 more hours of slow cooking...made my mouth water just thinking of some of his cooking.
 
I hope you sort the hubby out and settle the New Year Day celebrations. We've already called it here at Chez Hawkie, another quiet evening enjoying one another's company.

Yep, we officially called it last night. Family gathering postponed. It will be a quiet New Year's here too. Hoping to find out the results of hubby's mail-in test today/tomorrow. I did find an opening for a rapid test for tomorrow so he'll have one of each. I felt a slight bit of a cough coming on yesterday but took some zinc and vitamin C and it went away. No symptoms today, I feel fine. We are expecting more snow tonight, probably only a couple of inches at most. We've still got the 6+ inches from the 26th as it's not gotten above freezing yet. The dangerous part will be when it starts to warm up and then freezes at night again. It's going to be an icy mess for a few days!
 
Sorry you had to cancel, I know you've really been looking forward to gathering with friends and family. It sounds like it's a good time to stay put, weather wise.
 
@Susie-Q hope the tests come back negative. I understand you postponing celebrating as I haven't been doing anything except going to PT and back even delayed going food shopping with family as too many cases of Covid around. Be careful out there.
 
Four more inches of snow last night. Temps are moderating up to 31 now but the next couple of days we are in the deep freezer overnight again, teens. Any melting we might get in the next day or so will freeze solid overnight. Ugh....

4 Months Post-op

Well, Bonesmarties, I am 4 months post-op today. Here are some things you might expect by this date but if you don't, you will in "your time".

1. No painkillers anymore, not even Tylenol or Advil. I just don't need them.

2. I'm barely icing my knee, I really should be but don't feel like I need to.

3. Sleeping is much better, moving around in bed much easier and I'm comfy with my flannel sheets and pillow between my knees. I can sleep on either side, stomach or back. On my back I snore something fierce and wake up with terrible dry mouth. I'm sleeping all night, only getting up to pee and that's not every night.

4. Walking up the stairs with each foot, walking down there is still a little hesitancy but for the most part it's muscle memory that's holding me back and not pain. I end up starting down going one at a time because I'm SO used to it and then I have to tell my brain, no, go with each foot!

5. Doing all household chores, no problem being on my feet for long periods of time. Sitting at the table I try to get a good stretch by using my other ankle and pushing back. My butt gets sore from sitting on the kitchen chair well before my leg does. (this is when we're playing games and sitting for hours at a time)

6. I can get up off the toilet without using the wall, door jam or vanity for help. I can also sit with both feet on the ground and the left not stretched out (been doing this for awhile now)

7. Walking the dog at least once a day for a little less than a mile, sometimes twice. The past few days I've walked her on the power line trail, lots of uneven terrain and in 4-6 inches of snow. No problems with The Knee whatsoever. I figure the uneven grade combined with the snow is good therapy, working those muscles used for balance around the knee. (my therapist said this was good to do before she discharged me)

8. Sometimes it's still a little difficult to bend my knee when getting out of the car, especially if I'm parked close to another car and can't open my door far enough. I can't put my seat back anymore, it's already back as far as it will go (I'm tall).

9. My stamina is pretty much back to full capacity. I don't feel overly tired when doing regular household things. Obviously, prepping for Christmas Eve was full of extra chores and that wore me out but it would have worn me out previously too.

I even shoveled snow today! I know, I know.....a good way to get into the ODIC. Honestly, my shoulders hurt more than my knee (which doesn't hurt). I only did it for about 10-15 min, enough to clear off the walk to the door and a pathway down the driveway with hubby's help. He's on the other side of his "illness" and feeling much better but didn't want him to overdo it. I really feel like I have turned a big corner and The Knee has healed quite a bit. I don't have quite the bend that the other ones has and I plan to keep doing my bike daily, moving the seat a bit closer when I can to give it a good stretch. Lots of ADLs happening plus the extra PT of walking on trails in the snow. I feel confident scheduling my Covid booster now as I feel The Knee has healed plenty to avoid any issues (if they would even occur). The problem now is weather. Going to have to wait until this snow goes away next week. Rapid Covid testing centers are closed so I'm guessing the places giving boosters probably are too.
 
@Susie-Q that is impressive! I’m only a week or so behind you but don’t feel I’m doing nearly as well. (I’m going to attribute that to the fact that you’re much younger than I am and just keep working to catch up!) Well done!
 
As I mentioned in another thread, hubby's test came back positive for Covid. He's really past the point of being contagious at this point but we are still avoiding family as we don't know my status yet. I have had a few little tiny symptoms but nothing sticks for long. A tiny cough on Tuesday that went away when I took zinc and Vitamin C. A tiny bit of sinus pressure yesterday that went away. No sore throat, no congestion, no runny nose or fever or fatigue. Nothing. Not sure if my immunity is really good (lasting longer than the 6 months they say most have after the vax) or what. I don't think I have avoided being exposed to it since I spent time with hubby in the car, I sleep with him and sit 3-4 feet away from him on the couch. Well, it is what it is......
 
Back
Top Bottom