Guest viewing is limited

TKR Susie-Q's 2nd TKR Recovery Thread

There's a huge difference between a spa massage and a professional sports massage.
The first relaxes, the second darn well hurts as the masseuse gets his/her thumbs and elbow into the knots in order to free up the tension.
I'm often bruised after a session but boy, it works.
I have had two massages since my op, lymphatic drainage being a useful side product and my IT band and Hamstring other beneficiaries of elbows and thumbs.
If the session is a sports massage or deep tissue massage, the masseuse should talk you through the treatment before he/she starts and you can dictate the depth of the therapy.
 
I was reluctant to let some stranger touch my body until I went to the Hammam in Madrid. At the Hammam, they washed my body, then massaged with some scents that I'd selected. AMAZING does not begin to describe. Anyway that spoiled me for other massages but my Chiropractor got all in my leg, hip and back muscles at my last visit. He did acupressure massage in areas that he felt knots or pockets but agreed to not touch my actual knee. He worked around the knee with the massage and other treatments and I definitely felt the benefits for days. I'm due to go back next week. All to say, a good massage will work wonders for body and mind.
 
I've gone to a place connected with my health care system that does therapeutic massage. They are really good about knowing how light or hard to massage in different areas depending on your situation and it's all very professional and medical, so for me that feels less strange. But the effect of this type of massage is also quite relaxing.

I had them do some gentle massage on my leg about 3 months after the tkr and it definitely relaxed those muscles.
 
Last night my son and his band had another gig and this time I was able to go unlike the last time when I was only 11 days post-op. It was at a sports bar. I sat at a booth for almost 3 hours and really no cramping or stiffness in my left knee at all. I was able to stretch it out straight when I wanted but for the most part it was fine. I also drove there and back which I prefer or I get car sick. We had beer and pizza and enjoyed ourselves. Normal life returning!

I've made my Christmas plans, I'm going to host C. Eve with just my two kids, hubby, my sister and her husband and my father in law. So a small group of 7. Christmas Day will be just us 4. This is all in preparation for hosting New Year's Day with my husband's whole family. His dad, two sisters and all the grandkids, plus spouses/significant others. If all come, there will be 18. :flabber: My sis in laws will help with dinner, I'm going to make ribs on the smoker. Yes, I am crazy but I will have a lot of help. Our house is closer to where my father in law lives and it's a rambler, easier for him to get in and out with his wheelchair. For big family events like this we always do Chinette paper plates so dishes will be minimal. One sister and her daughters are coming up from CA and won't be here until the 30th so that's why we are having this big get together on NYDay. I will have lots of help, all the cousins (my nieces) are adults now and I will delegate if necessary!!!
 
I’m so glad to see this post, & know you are doing OK, I was concerned when I saw your Friday post & your long stint at work. That must have been hard, but you really were supportive of your fellow workers & your boss. They are fortunate to have you.
It sounds like you have your Christmas & New Year well planned out! You must be very organized, I’m afraid I’m really not. But the big family New Year sounds fun, & you’ll have plenty of help. And, you have a good, small Christmas planned, so you won’t be worn out already. Do take care of yourself in the meantime.
Our Christmas will also be small. My sisters & brother are in Texas & California, & our son in Germany. We’ll go to our daughter’s home ( about an hour from us) Christmas afternoon after my midday infusion, & have dinner, open presents & enjoy being with the three of them. We’re looking forward to that, & it will be my biggest outing since my 2nd surgery in November. I still fatigue very quickly, & still fighting lack of appetite, & some slight nausea. But she will make her wonderful salmon, and her delicious coconut rice And we’ll have fun! New Years , we have most years just celebrated quietly at home, this year for sure. Looking forward to that, new year, new knee!. Already lots of plans! Take care of yourself, & try to rest some.....
 
New Year's Eve will be quiet this year as we will want to be with the dog/cats and help them deal with all the fireworks that happen around here. Our kids go out and do their thing, my son with his gf and friends and daughter with her cousin and friends.

I'm about half-way done with Christmas cards, we just do picture cards so no real writing to do except for a personalized message on the back here and there. Wrapping is almost done, just waiting for some things to still come via delivery. Trying to get in some stretching of The Knee when I can. I'm not going to have time for all the exercises she sent me home with every day but will try to do them here and there. The main thing is doing the bike and walking, which I've done today already. Hoping hubby will walk the dog tonight as I'm tired from a day on my feet today cleaning up clutter (hubby's idea). Now I need to cook 4 steaks that I thawed a few days ago before they go bad. Just resting a bit and having a glass of wine to relax.
I still fatigue very quickly, & still fighting lack of appetite, & some slight nausea.
I'm sorry you are dealing with the lack of appetite and nausea, @Catalien45 :sad: I hope this resolves quickly as you continue to recover. Thank you for the kind words.

I will look into getting a more therapeutic-type massage. I had a scrip from my old GP (who has since left the practice) for a place that would work on my neck (had some issues for awhile there) but then Covid hit and things shut down. I haven't looked into it since as The Knee rose to the top of the list of squeaky wheels......
 
@Susie-Q, you're doing great. I'm sure you'll prepare some things in advance (like you are with the gift wrapping), so that you won't try to load it all up into a few days around the big events. It will be so good to be with loved ones. At this point, it seems like you may be in less pain, too. Woohooo! Get your life back Girl!
 
Last edited:
Wow, @Susie-Q That's a big crowd! Good for you!

We're doing Christmas Eve here, but just for 4 of us, so it's a fairly easy lift. My sister is hosting Christmas Day for the whole family. I committed to make the Buche de Noel (which is a long-time family tradition for us), but my daughter will be here to help me.

It does feel wonderful to be able to gather as a family again!
 
Your plans sound really nice. We try to be here with Felicity Kitty anytime there are likely to be fireworks...Halloween & July 4th are big ones here, but also New Year’s Eve. Those massages sound Nice!! Sometimes my PT will massage my knee, I enjoy it. Today was my 2nd session with my new ( to me) therapist. He was very pleased with my walking, worked me hard ( but not aggressive), gave me some new exercises. When I asked, “ do I need to do All of them every day?” , his response was, “ no, just try to do a good mix regularly, along with your ADLs.” A couple of times, he’d ask, “ can you do such-and-such, & I’d say “no”. And that was that. Huge relief after the home therapist, & some experiences I have read about. He also OK’d my leg & hip exercises I’ve done for years, and planks.
SusieQ, thanks for your concern. My appetite is a Little better, but so much just doesn’t taste right. But a few more foods, which is good. I will see the Infectious Diseases Dr on Wednesday & again at least until my PICC line is out. Maybe she will have some suggestions. The nausea is not near as bad as before, but just a low level “ dull” nausea which does interfere with appetite.
Your going to your son’s band’s performance sounded Great! I remember early on when you struggled with trying to go. I know that was hard, to not be able to go, but at 11 days out, there wasn’t much choice. I’m so glad this one worked out, & I’m sure it meant a lot to him. What instrument does he play?
P
Benne, I had to look up Bunche de Noel ( my idea of what it is was right!) what a Neat family tradition! It does look like a lot of work, I’m glad you have your daughter’s help. The photos I saw looked really Yummy, even though I’m not enjoying sweets right now. Is it always chocolate?
Gotta brag.... after PT and the half hour each way of driving to & from the infusion center, we took a walk outside, and even added an extra short block to previous walks! This was one of my big goals.
 
Yesterday I was a good girl and did my bike and all the exercises my PT sent me home with. I even walked the dog last night just around the block (mainly so she'd poop before bed). It's cold and wet here, just hovering above 35 or so we get a mix of rain and snow. Today I walked the dog, daughter and I went to get pedicures. I even forgot my phone in the car so I had to just sit there and enjoy the experience. :wink: Then she came with me to Costco. I got a roast for Christmas Eve, now to figure out how to freeze it.

I'm hosting a cookie baking with my good friend, sister and daughter next week. We've got to figure out what to make! We'll probably each pick out a couple of things to make and then share everything. Working 2 hours on Saturday and 3-1/4 on Sunday. I remember last year working a LOT of hours leading up to Christmas, it's the busiest time of year at work, everyone making presents or decor for their homes. Glad I'm easing into things this year.
 
Have you tried any of the Mary Berry recipes- she makes wonderful cookies.
How wonderful going for a pedicure, it is so nice as after a tkr it's hard to reach one's tootsies, this is something I would do with my daughter when she comes , I so envy Mum's having their children close by, but sadly here in the Algarve jobs are seasonal and salaries absolutely rubbish, so she is better off working in London, prior to this pandemic travel between our two country's was so easy, now not only is it expensive, but extremely complicated with so many tests envolved.
 
Last edited:
Glad I'm easing into things this year.

Wait -- hosting a cookie bake, shopping at Costco, walking the dog, working weekends, preparing a New Year's feast for 18 -- which part of that is "easing into it," @Susie-Q ?

I think you are really the Energizer Bunny in disguise! :loll:
 
☺️ Benne, I agree with you! Our very own energizer bunny right here On Bonesmart! I think SusieQ is a lot more organized ( at least , more than me!).

Oh, SusieQ, your cookie party sounds Wonderful!! Before we moved here ( 20 years ago), two friends in our neighborhood hosted a cookie swap every year. Everyone would bring 3 dozen cookies, the hosts would have cider, coffee, & snacks. We’d visit, snack, & then at the end, everyone would take 2 of each cookie onto a clean plate to take home. I loved it. Your party sounds so “ warm holidays”. And it’s special that you, your daughter & sister are doing it together. You obviously have a special family. Now please do rest up well before & after. It sounds like you are doing well at staying out of the ODIC.

Oh, and the pedicures. Sounds fun, too!
 
Have you tried any of the Mary Berry recipes- she makes wonderful cookies.
No, but I have been recently watching all the British Baking Shows on Netflix, love them!! I'm sorry travel has been so restricted lately for your family. I wish this pandemic were over!!!

Wait -- hosting a cookie bake, shopping at Costco, walking the dog, working weekends, preparing a New Year's feast for 18 -- which part of that is "easing into it," @Susie-Q ?
:unsure: Well, I never said I was smart, did I? LOL!!! Remember, work is really only 2-3.5 hr shifts. People like @hawk2go have been back, 8 hours a day for awhile now!! Even if she's sitting most of the time, it's still a lot more than I'm doing (only 1-2 days a week). Last year I was working 3-4 days a week, several days in a row, which was hell on my knee and back. If it weren't for Christmas looming and all the added activities, I'd be easing into it..... At least PT is over! I did my exercises again today and the bike, but only did the bike yesterday. I'm not that much of a go-getter. Today there was plenty of couch time in between a few household chores. I've done nothing to prepare for NY's Day yet except bought some paper plates. I'm expecting a lot of help from the kids and hubby for that. Daughter said she'd make the taco dip appetizer and hubby will take care of the beverages (I'll make sure we have enough wine) and they will all help with cleaning. I'm expecting my sister in laws to make the sides and I'll just do the ribs.

Feeling pretty good. Not tired or fatigued, but I'm not doing as much as I was last week/weekend. I'm actually going into work tomorrow but only because I'm going to make a project (some tea towels) while my bestie makes another project for her entryway. Just us, I'll be sitting a LOT. Going out to lunch after.
 
Hey Susie-Q
Every time I see your user name I think of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Song! One of my very favorite bands!
You are doing awesome in recovery!
I love reading all that you do in a day!
I am having my best friend come tomorrow morning and we are making buckeye candy. Then we will do lunch and then I will die, LOL!
 
You got it! I have several people that will be getting gifts of buckeye candy! They are yummy if you like peanut butter and chocolate! My son is a state trooper and he takes a batch to his post!
maybe since my girlfriend is helping, I won’t eat so many when I am making them. But hey, we may BOTH eat too many!
 
It's great to read a positive report, giving us "newbies /2nd timer" something to look forward too, as you prove that it does get better and life does resume as normal.
This year mostly due to the Pandemic Christmas will be a quiet affair, just myself, my Portuguese MIL and my husband, I've handed all cooking /household duties over to them, for the last 34 years I did it all alone, so this year, I'm gonna watch :whistle: and rest, Fortunately prior to my surgery I decorated the house, so it looks pretty, I bought the all Xmas presents , (some I will now only give next year for my daughter & partner when we do a mock Christmas). I have a few good friends baking cakes for us and mince pies too, I try to each year bring the both Nationalities into Christmas on 24th we celebrate Portuguese Christmas ( with cod fish being their national dish ) and on the 25th British style - Roast Turkey and all the trimmings. I'm not sure this year that we will do the English side as it is an awful amount of work and as MIL is 84 I think we will just have a quiet day, - my husband makes a wonderful dish called Arroz de Pato ( translated Duck Rice) this you just eat with a fork. Hopefully 2022 will be a different story.
 
You all are making me think of planning a festive cookie exchange with my neighbors.

So good to read the plans for those who celebrate Christmas and for everyone who celebrates the new year. My family is so dispersed air travel is really the way to go if we were getting together (all parents gone, kids in Spain and Georgia). We've gotten used to quiet celebrations with just the two of us. It's a good thing we really like one another. :heehee:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom