Guest viewing is limited

TKR Susie-Q's 2nd TKR Recovery Thread

You may know this - they have to do the xray for insurance, but my meniscus damage was only identified on the MRI.
Yes, you can only see soft tissues on the MRI.....he's got an appointment with the GP on Monday just in case the specialist needs his referral.

Shifting around in bed at night is definitely getting easier. Still waking up with a stiff knee if I bend it too much but I can tell it's getting better.....
 
I'm slowly learning things..... (knock myself on the head....) my shifting around in bed seems to be tied to whether or not I do my bridges exercises. I haven't done them for a few days and last night/this morning I had another bad night of painful shifting around in bed and a sore back and hips this morning. I did my bridges just now after 10 min on the bike so we'll see how tonight is. They definitely strengthen those glutes, which I think is needed to shift around in the bed and change positions.

I had a chance to have a PT appt on Monday but I turned her down. They had a few cancellations this week. I just decided I wanted a break for Thanksgiving week. I have my next appt with my usual gal on Dec 1st.

Hubby went to the dr and he said he has a 50% chance of a torn meniscus. He also developed a Baker's Cyst behind that knee so we know some trauma happened. The dr prescribed Meloxicam (I recognized it from many on here who take it) and also some PT. Hoping he will recover and not need surgery. :fingersx: We don't need a second person in this house with bad knees!!! Yes, @hawk2go, you are right, they won't do an MRI unless they do an Xray first for insurance purposes...... hopefully he won't need one.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving (for those who celebrate it), relax, enjoy your families and DON'T OVERDO IT!!!
 
Well, it's been a few days since I've updated. Nothing major going on, just life! Thanksgiving was at my sister's, I made party potatoes (mashed potatoes with sour cream, cream cheese, chives and baked), green bean casserole and a charcuterie plate. I was very glad I didn't host, just prepping was enough. Milestone: I brought back the walker, cane and ice machine I borrowed from my brother in law. He had his knee replaced a couple of years ago so I was able to borrow those things from him. (We already had the raised toilet seat and shower seat from my first TKR)

I've been spending the majority of the past 3 days pulling my fall decorations and putting up Christmas ones. Hubby pulled the boxes the weekend prior to Thanksgiving and so I've been slowly working on it. I don't have the stamina yet that I would have during a usual year so it's not going as fast. My daughter helped quite a bit, thankfully. Two Christmas trees are up and decorated, mantle is done, village set up. I am realizing I have too many decorations and not enough places to put every thing! I'm not putting everything up this year, it's too much.

I had the chance to have a PT appointment last week but passed on it. I will meet with my regular gal on the 1st and I have 4 appointments left. I've been doing my best to do the recumbent bike everyday, walking the dog most days and just ADLs mostly. Doing my bridges when I think of it. I've been able to slowly scoot the bike seat closer in tiny increments when going around gets easier. I feel like I can sit in a chair with my knee bent a normal amount, I just can't bend it back too far yet. Sleeping is slowly getting better. I'm finding I'm more comfortable in the mornings and don't have to get up because my back or hips are hurting. Still a bit stiff when I do finally get up but it resolves quickly. The Knee still gets stiff and is painful when it gets into positions where it's either bent too long or the knee joint is tweaked a bit while sleeping. I'm still using my pillow in between my knees when I'm on my side. The one thing still bothering me is my left hip. It's been sore for 3 weeks now. It's worst when I sit and ice on the couch and then get up or when I first get up in the morning. It's so stiff and eventually works itself out walking around. My hip hurts way worse than my knee at this point.

I'm planning on working again this next weekend. My boss scheduled me for 2- two hour shifts, one Sat and one Sun. I'm pretty much doing everything I was prior to surgery around the home except for working my regular 4 hour part-time shifts. I will get there eventually.
 
I am like you, SusieQ, I really do have a Lot of Christmas decorations! Ours still in boxes in basement, & some special stuff, boxes in our closet. It will definitely be a little different this year. Our daughter has offered to help us, & bring our grandson- that will be fun. We won’t put it all up, but, we will be festive!
You talked about your hip pain. Lately, since the PT & I have been working on progressing back to the cane, I am having stiffness, for lack of a better word, in my left hip. That’s the side I carry my cane on. It was pretty bad Before my TKR, & then seemed to have gone away. Now, it is back! Just mostly when I get up from sitting. Could we both be experiencing sort of a “ reciprocal “ pain? Not sure if that’s the right word, but I just wonder. Since mine was here, then left, came back ( with a lot of cane use, on my left side), there must be some connection. Do you still use your cane? I have a feeling mine will be part of my life anytime I’m outside, at least for a good while. My PT will be here later today, so I think we may try a longer walk outside, as it is a beautiful fall day. We took a very short walk last week, but I got light- headed. Feeling a little stronger today. I’ll ask what insight he might have, they must deal with this a lot. I’m fortunate in having him. I was a bit uneasy working with someone different, but he is very much like my local therapist I see here, and she’s really great.
Today will be a busy day....appt with my surgeon this morning, home nurse to change dressing on my PICC line & draw blood shortly after we get home, then PT a little after that. None could really be changed. should
rest well tonite!
Btw, I keep wondering... how is Olive? And your other kitty? I often think of them both as Miss Felicity parks herself on my tummy at night.
 
I haven't used my cane since late September so it's not from that. My sore hip is on the same side as my new knee so not sure what to think about that. When I go walking it works itself out and doesn't hurt. It only seems to hurt when it's stiff from sitting too long or when I first get up in the morning.

The kitties are fine! They like to hide under the Christmas tree and now that we have a second one (we got it last year during Covid) in the living room, they both have their own tree to sit under. Olive is young and likes to play and Maggie is old (17) and grumpy. Then we have Daisy, the almost 2 year old lab. She's still pretty crazy but is also settling down and maturing.

Good luck at your Dr's appointment!
 
Well yesterday was a milestone for me. I think this is the most I've done since surgery. I walked the dog in the morning (3/4 mile), ran two errands, went to PT, went to Costco, unloaded the Costco stuff myself (no one else was home), marinated some chicken, unloaded and reloaded the dish washer and then took the dog to the field at 3:30 and was on my feet for another 45 min. 8,475 steps. No repercussions so far. I iced twice last night.

PT measured me at 113, baby steps! I'm removing the folded body pillow I've been using on the reclining couch for my left leg. My therapist thinks it might be exacerbating my sore left hip, keeping that leg bent at the hip more than the right. Maggie the cat will be happy. :kittymilk: That pillow made it hard for her to sit in her usual position, between my ankles.
 
wow! I got a little tired, just reading everything you’d done. Whew. It sounds like you are really doing great. And I’m so glad it sounds like you have a solution on your hip problem. With kitty approval do take care & rest some now if you can.
 
Yeah, that was literally the definition of a regular day in my previous life! Today was a little busy as well. Visited my friend who owns my doggy Daisy's sister, Georgie. She lets them run around her house like lunatics and get exercise on days when it's rainy or she's lazy and doesn't want to walk her. So we went there for about an hour, then I went to get a hair cut, then picked up lunch at the drive through and went to Hobby Lobby. I didn't wander the whole store but just stuck to the Christmas section. I needed a new string of lights for some garland on the porch. They stopped working. Then I stopped at another store to look for another Christmas idea. By the time I got home around 2:30ish, my knee was just beginning to feel a little overused, yesterday plus today. I need to watch myself because I'm supposed to work both Sat and Sun for a couple of hours. Tomorrow is PT again and so I need to pace myself. I'm trying to get my Christmas shopping done but I need to also make sure I don't overdo it. :christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon:Did my bike tonight for 10 min and walked the dog for about 15 min.
 
Wow I am amazed at how much you can now do and look forward to the day when I can write a similar post in my thread. :dancy:
 
I am realizing I have too many decorations and not enough places to put every thing! I'm not putting everything up this year, it's too much.
I'm the total opposite-I have zero Christmas decorations and have spent the last couple of days trying to find some online. When we sold our home two years ago, I gave a lot to my daughter, some went to a local charity and the rest were so old they went in the trash. I had planned to buy new stuff last year, but having surgery in Nov. meant I wasn't doing any Christmas decorating or shopping, so this year I need to start buying new stuff. Our new home is large and will look lovely decorated, but I'm guessing it'll take a couple of years to find enough indoor and outdoor decorations.

We bought a fake tree for the first time ever this year as we no longer live near our favorite tree farm, and after seeing real trees in a couple of stores that were only 6 ft tall for $140 and up, we decided to try a fake one. It cost more than a live one, but if we like it, will last for years. It's against my principles to spend that much on a tree that's going to be in the trash in a few short weeks! We used to pay under $50 at the tree farm.

Your recovery is coming along quite well, and you're able to do a lot. Your ROM is already better than mine; although I don't know what mine actually is, I know it's well under 100. I'm thinking all you do, plus the bike, etc, is more than enough and PT is probably redundant and may not even be needed at this point. Adding going back to work part time will also add to your daily activities, so your knee may be doing plenty without adding PT sessions. Remember, even though you're at the three month mark and feeling much better, there is still healing going on so you can easily overdo.
 
Yes, I agree @lovetocookandsew . It was running through my head all night that I need to tone it down today even though I want to get that last bit of shopping done. There's always next week and I'm working this weekend, just a couple of hours each day but I don't want to go into it feeling sore. Last night I was quite sore moving around in bed, hips back and knee. I need to realize I'm only about 3 months post-op and need to pace myself.

I've still got an entryway full of containers that need to go back to the garage. The hubby has been busy with his fiber optic internet project through the attic with our son and so the boxes sit. Normally I would just do it myself but I know that would be a bad idea this soon and I'd hurt myself. I've got one more shelf to decorate in the entryway but I can't get to it because of all the boxes in the way. Next I'll set up our wrapping station so I can get these gifts wrapped. Christmas cards are ordered!

Edited to add: I've only got 3 pt appointments left. Today and next W and F. Then I will hit my limit of what my insurance will cover (3 month time frame from when I started on Sept 13th). Hopefully I can get a few more degrees by next week but if not, I know I will with time. My right knee is only around 122 degrees so in order to be even I don't have that much more to go.
 
Last edited:
Well, when PT ends - you know what to do Q. I plan to do December because I've maxed my bennies for the year.
 
I plan on stopping PT next week and transition back to my personal trainer. They will contact my PT and see what I've been working on. The place I train specializes in medical fitness, I'm sure I will be fine and continue to progress. A bit closer to home and I can run over there daily and use recumbent bike, even if it is 15-20 minutes at a time.
 
Wow @Susie-Q you are doing Great! I had PT 2xs this week and another day out to get hair cut which was over an hour drive (my daughter is driving), I don't feel up to driving as yet especially not knowing when we could have a snow squall -- granddaughter and grandson came over and got out the decorations and I directed them where to put some (not all). However, my other knee the one to be done next acted up yesterday with severe pain so I iced it alot, it hasn't done that in a long time since it is more or less locked bone on bone. PT will be recommending that I get it done sooner rather than later and I am all for it.
 
Back
Top Bottom