TKR Susie-Q's 2nd TKR Recovery Thread

I am 8 weeks today. Went to Sam’s Club and Lowes and grocery store. By the time I headed home my knee was reminding me it was sawn in half and hammered into 8 weeks ago and is not fully recovered. Haven’t used ice in a few days but I will today!
 
@Susie-Q @VSing I'm 2 weeks behind you and just made my first 1/2 mile walk this weekend. Building up my stamina to go to the small neighborhood grocers. Not brave enough to tackle a big box store or the supermarket yet.

Please keep posting your progress; it gives those of us behind you hope.
 
Well, my daughter and I went to Costco AND Williams Sonoma at the mall AND the grocery store and I survived. Not really hurting (yet) but I'm home now and icing. My daughter helped a lot with loading and unloading. I even put a batch of Chex Mix in the oven and am icing while it's baking.... I smartly planned a Costco dinner (spinach and cheese cannelloni) so I won't have to stand around and do that too tonight. Only 2770 steps so far today including Costco so not too bad....I was surprised it wasn't more than that. I can tell when I get tired, my heart rate gets elevated and I can feel it pounding when I'm up and moving around. This didn't happen until I got home and when I just put away some clean clothes. Back to icing and resting again.

*edited to add, Williams Sonoma was not a far walk, it was very close to the parking lot and the grocery store was only for 10-12 items so not a huge walk around to all the aisles. We didn't wander all the aisles of Costco either, mainly the outer ones; produce, meat, dairy, frozen and then dry goods. No wandering around in the clothing or seasonal stuff.

Not brave enough to tackle a big box store

I wasn't either a couple of weeks ago. Stamina is slooooowly improving but I still get tired.
 
Stamina is slooooowly improving but I still get tired.
You're coming back Baby!!!! So happy that you were able to manage all of that without the usual ODIC reminder. Go get 'em.
 
Today will be the big push to get all my stuff packed up and in the entryway for son to help me move it to the car. I will leave tomorrow afternoon for my girls weekend. It's only 25 minutes away so no long drive. I did all my shopping yesterday so today I will be home doing lots of ADLs. I didn't do any exercises yesterday (shame, shame) but will do some on the bike today, stretching and maybe a short dog walk tonight. Lots of things to gather up so there will be a lot of walking around the house. I have a rambler house so I won't have a lot of stairs to go up and down, just up to the bonus room when I want to use the bike.

I made two batches of Chex mix last night and today I want to gut 4 pumpkins and roast the seeds. Dinner will be easy again, Costco chicken and some butternut squash ravioli (also from Costco) and salad.

You're coming back Baby!!!! So happy that you were able to manage all of that without the usual ODIC reminder. Go get 'em.

Yay!! The last time I knew I did way too much on my feet was 2-3 weeks ago and I had a bad twisting feeling at the top of my tibia. Those sawed-into bones were complaining. This time, nothing like that. I still have some stiffness and soreness but it's only around a 1-2 on the pain scale and I would have that no matter what I did (unless I literally sat on my butt and did nothing). This weekend is in a small house with no stairs and I will be doing a lot of sitting, working on scrapbooking and other projects. We all help prepare the meals so I won't be sitting on my butt for too long at a time. I've got my camping foot stool and contour pillow and I"ll bring 3 ice packs for my knee to rotate and use whenever. I can do my exercises but of course no bike. I could walk up and down the street if I want to get a walk in. I am bringing my computer so I will keep in touch with you Bonesmarties! :eyebrows:
 
I didn't do any exercises yesterday (shame, shame)
No shame needed. I find that I forget to do my exercises if I've done a lot of ADLs. Since I've been working, my ADLs are way up and my progress continues, organically.
 
Agreed, although I'm sure my PT might disagree..... :heehee:
 
Holy Moly!! I just finished reading your latest posts.....wow! I am 3 weeks since my surgery today. I’m looking forward to catching up with you & Hawk2 go. I still “poop out” so fast , it doesn’t seem to take much, & I have No energy. I’m used to being on the go, not resting so much. Still trying to remember “ slow & steady, slow & steady”, like Hawk2go reminded me.... I Have begun to use both legs going upstairs, & that’s exciting! I do use either my cane, or, hands on both rails, which distributes my weight on arms, too. My PT and my better half are helping me work on my walking, & that is going Much better, I can do well without cane, but if we go outside, I do use the cane & when I do go on a “ venture” , plan to use it. It’s reassuring, & I agree with others, folks see it & are a bit more careful.

Have a wonderful time with your scrapbooking! That sounds like so much fun! Looking forward to hearing about it. Take good care of that knee.
 
Full disclosure! Cautionary tale here!!! Once again a proud member of the ODIC (OverDidItClub). Yesterday was WAY too much activity for me and I'm paying for it today. I'm reminded of @Gingerbread when she had a day she over did it AND she added a dog walk in there too, or maybe it was a second dog walk. 6,935 steps yesterday. Not trying to reach a certain number at all. Walking all over the house, packing things, moving my supplies to the entryway (probably not smart), hauling pumpkins in from the porch to stand and gut them in the kitchen and get the seeds, moving them back to the porch, roasted a big pan of pumpkin seeds, 2 loads of laundry (only folded 1).... I rested as much as I could, taking 1-2 hr breaks icing on the couch and watching shows. Then when my daughter brought the dog home I took her for a walk on the .8 mile loop. Probably shouldn't have done that but I was feeling alright at the time and I'd promised I would walk her. Woke up last night with every muscle in my body sore from using those previously dormant muscles. Knee stiff and sore but it's always stiff and sore. Calf has that twisty feeling this morning, which means I definitely did too much yesterday. So if you are thinking I am Super Woman, I most definitely am not! I'm trying to do too much and paying the price. Luckily my son will help me load my car today, all I have to do is premake a dip appetizer for Saturday, pack the rest of my clothes, toiletries and food. Once I get there I will have help unloading and then I get to sit on my butt and relax and ice.

I do know The Knee is healing as I am able to do a lot more than I could have even 2 weeks ago and my stamina is getting better (not 100% yet). I'm going to take my regimen of Advil/Tylenol for a couple of days since I have backed way off of that and am barely taking 2 doses of Advil Dual Action daily. I am a little worried about sleeping at the Retreat house. The beds there are rock hard. I'm going to miss my 3 inch memory foam topper I have on my Sleep Number bed at home. Planning on taking my body pillow.
 
@Catalien45 I was exactly the same as you at 3 weeks and at 4 weeks I was also battling a nasty UTI! My body was wiped trying to heal everything. I was doing very little then and still taking daily naps. I'm now at 8-1/2 weeks - two months and things have improved greatly. Still not back to doing everything but close, sometimes paying the price when doing too much......
 
I do know The Knee is healing as I am able to do a lot more than I could have even 2 weeks ago and my stamina is getting better (not 100% yet).
It's a trap, I tell ya! HAHAHA. I know it's no laughing matter but I, too, was feeling good yesterday and landed myself in the ODIC corner. I'm planning to take it easy today, like week 2 easy.
 
Yes, it's a TOTAL TRAP!! :loll: I was amazed last night at all I'd done and I still felt pretty good. Trying to do bits and bobs today and sitting to rest in between all of them. My calf stopped hurting but starts again when I've stood/walked too much. I've still got things to do to get out of the house and on to my relaxing weekend. By the time I get there I'm going to be exhausted! So much for a relaxing weekend, right? Once I get there and get settled it will be a glass of wine, sitting with my knee propped up with ice and time to get creative!
 
@Catalien45 I was exactly the same as you at 3 weeks and at 4 weeks I was also battling a nasty UTI! My body was wiped trying to heal everything. I was doing very little then and still taking daily naps. I'm now at 8-1/2 weeks - two months and things have improved greatly. Still not back to doing everything but close, sometimes paying the price when doing too much......

Oh, Dear!, I kept falling back to sleep this morning after taking my 8:00 Tramadol & some toast. Just really waking up at 10...... I Never sleep that late...not til this recovery period. I’m usually a morning person, most productive early in the day, and to be honest, without this forum, would probably be attempting that now. ( I tend to be a bit hard-headed & have a “ push through attitude).
I picked up my phone once I was fully awake, & your post was at the top of my email.... so I read it right away. I do hope you are getting some relief! I do also relate. You also sound like someone who has a hard time laying around, even taking a little nap when you need to. We like to “do”. I suspect there are others on this forum. Then you had the UTI on top of the knee surgery. Double Bummer!
I Your advice today is timely for me. I slept the very best since my surgery last night. My tomatoes we picked green just after my surgery because of frost are now beautiful & red. I SO want to skin, cut up & cook them down for the freezer! Maybe start that tomatillo enchilada sauce. But..... I have PT this afternoon, & Just resolved after my PT session on Tuesday, that the PT would be my one big activity for the day. And on Saturday evening, our daughter & a close friend & their 2 little boys ( 6 & 4 1/2) will drop by for a visit. Looking forward to that! Need to be rested up . And, thinking that her friend might enjoy some of those tomatoes, maybe take some to her Mom. ( they were Really Good this year). Tomatillos going into fridge, they keep well. Meanwhile, I will rest - and remind myself - slow & steady, slow & steady......
I’ll be thinking of you, good thoughts of fun scrapbooking. Let your friends do for you when they offer, let them pamper you some ...bet they will. Remember - letting someone else do for you when you need it, also does a lot for them. Take care, & enjoy your retreat & your friends,
 
I’ll be thinking of you, good thoughts of fun scrapbooking. Let your friends do for you when they offer, let them pamper you some ...bet they will. Remember - letting someone else do for you when you need it, also does a lot for them. Take care, & enjoy your retreat & your friends,
Thank you for your kind and wise words! I will let them help! I'm feeling much better now after icing and sitting this morning and after some Advil/Tylenol. It's almost time to pack the car and get going!
 
I'm the first one up this morning and it's already after 8. My body clock is just attuned to get up at 7:45, alarm or not. This house is located along a fairly busy street and the noise in the morning from traffic is amazing. I'm not used to that. My son came with me to help me unload and made himself a little pocket money by helping some of the others unload their stuff too.

My calf has that twisty feeling this morning, time to scrounge for something to eat (there's plenty, we never starve at these weekends, quite the opposite!) and take my pills. I miss my reclining couch. A camp stool and pillow is not the same and I don't have the back support either. Ah, well, time to get productive!
 
Keep on going. Looks like your doing great. I did a short trip to store to get drinks. Icing now as i type.
 
I love how you call it "The Knee". It certainly seems to have taken on a personality for all of us, otherwise we wouldn't be here talking about it. "The Knee" is our own little (or big!) celebrity, that we have a love/hate relationship with! "The Knee" is a dictator now but in time will be our best friend :)
 
Back
Top Bottom