Guest viewing is limited

TKR Susie-Q's 2nd TKR Recovery Thread

Yes we talk and I at least think of the knee as this separate thing, it amazed me sometimes to think of what the knee is doing!
 
Keep on going. Looks like your doing great. I did a short trip to store to get drinks. Icing now as i type.

OK!! Your post encouraging me... I’m planning to go to the grocery store tomorrow ( short trip) with my husband; he makes the trips since my surgery... I’m still not ready to drive, but excited about this adventure! A little anxious, as I’m 3 1/2 weeks out, but, doing well on my walking with & without the cane. So I’m ready to give it a try. Let’s hear it for ice!
 
"El Jefe"

When I watched Narcos I heard this phrase said a lot.

I'm back from my weekend. I didn't really do any exercises. My son came over and helped me unload my car and he also helped a few of the other ladies unload theirs and made a little pocket money. One day we went to Ben Franklin (a local craft store) and when we found out we didn't get our requisite discount for staying at the retreat place we went back and had the cashiers redo it. Several of us had spent over $100 buying Christmas gifts too and one gal spent over $500. It took them a LONG time to first return everything in the computer and then re-ring everything back up and I ended up standing in the store for almost an hour. This was after shopping there earlier, walking over to the grocery store for a few things AND helping buy sub sandwiches for lunch. Long story short, I was on my feet for a long time. I didn't hurt at the time but felt it later with that twisty feeling in my calf. I did lots of icing all weekend and propping my leg up on my camp stool. The chairs there lack good back support and the beds are hard. Loading my car back up to go home (I had help) also took it's toll and today my body is sore again. I had a great time though. It was worth the extra soreness and it's only twice a year.

After the weekend I had, I opted to not pass out candy this year (again, last year was because of Covid) and just put out the bowl and let the kids help themselves. My 120 piece bag ran out after about 2 hours so I shut the light out. I figured I didn't need to go to the door a 1000 times and the dog didn't need to get wigged out every time the doorbell rang. So I had a peaceful evening of watching Maid on Netflix. Did any of you do the same or did you get your spouse to be the door-person?
 
"El Jefe"

When I watched Narcos I heard this phrase said a lot.

I'm back from my weekend. I didn't really do any exercises. My son came over and helped me unload my car and he also helped a few of the other ladies unload theirs and made a little pocket money. One day we went to Ben Franklin (a local craft store) and when we found out we didn't get our requisite discount for staying at the retreat place we went back and had the cashiers redo it. Several of us had spent over $100 buying Christmas gifts too and one gal spent over $500. It took them a LONG time to first return everything in the computer and then re-ring everything back up and I ended up standing in the store for almost an hour. This was after shopping there earlier, walking over to the grocery store for a few things AND helping buy sub sandwiches for lunch. Long story short, I was on my feet for a long time. I didn't hurt at the time but felt it later with that twisty feeling in my calf. I did lots of icing all weekend and propping my leg up on my camp stool. The chairs there lack good back support and the beds are hard. Loading my car back up to go home (I had help) also took it's toll and today my body is sore again. I had a great time though. It was worth the extra soreness and it's only twice a year.

After the weekend I had, I opted to not pass out candy this year (again, last year was because of Covid) and just put out the bowl and let the kids help themselves. My 120 piece bag ran out after about 2 hours so I shut the light out. I figured I didn't need to go to the door a 1000 times and the dog didn't need to get wigged out every time the doorbell rang. So I had a peaceful evening of watching Maid on Netflix. Did any of you do the same or did you get your spouse to be the door-person?

Hi, SusieQ.. so glad to hear you had a fun weekend! Now, time to Rest! Sounds like a little “ Murphy’s Law” with your shopping.... . Good thing you had your ice, and it’s obvious your good time made it worthwhile.

We also put candy out on a table. I had kinda overdone on Saturday, then a bit more on Sunday. Also, for Sunday night, our daughter brought our grandson, (6) & a close friend with her son (4 1/2). We visited for a bit while the boys played outside. It was nice, as we hadn’t seen the friend in 2 years due to Covid. Then the Moms took the little fireman and mosquito trick- or-treating , & we rested. Our friends headed back home after that, daughter & grandson stayed a little longer, which was fun. He & I did more snuggling on the couch, good medicine for us both! Our candy ( well over 100 snack bars) ,were all gone by evenings end. We tend to get a lot of kids here - looking forward to seeing them all next year . I was Worn out by days end, but like my surgery, no regrets ( except maybe, the overdo on Saturday & Sunday. Not too smart) . I’m learning, taking it Easy today. PT tomorrow morning.

Do take care of yourself, & I’m so glad to hear that you had a fun, even if challenging weekend. I’m sure it was well worth it!
 
Did any of you do the same or did you get your spouse to be the door-person?
Our door is up a set a steps and one year kids were pushing, so we created the tradition to sit outside and disburse goodies. We typically sit low, close to the street level, while neighbors take the opportunity to visit around (imagine, here give out my candy for a few minutes as they dash across the street or down the block). One neighbor makes chili and cornbread, another makes desserts, another makes drinks, etc. We give out the candy and when the candy is gone, we hang out with each other. Last night, I sat high on the porch while my spouse gave out candy at street level. I walked down the block to see other neighbors because I wanted to try my outside walk without the cane.
 
Wow! I want to live on your street! I have a friend who has neighbors like that, they bring wine when the kiddos are done and visit with each other. I was on my own, hubby had gone to bed and adult kids were out at their respective parties. I should have walked up to my neighbor's on the corner and brought the dog in her costume. They were set up in their driveway passing out candy. That would have required energy that I didn't have as I was tired from my weekend so I stayed in.
 
Went to PT for the first time in 2 weeks today. I'm still only at 105 flexion but I had a busy weekend and did lots of ADLs last weekend as previously discussed. I actually went up the two sets of stairs to get to the PT office today (on the 2nd floor) rather than take the elevator. I did take the elevator down though, as I'm still not able to go down stairs like normal yet. I reminded my Pt that my ROM was limited for 2 months prior to surgery as my joint was bone on bone and I couldn't bend it very far. She thinks this might be why I'm taking longer to get ROM this time. My daughter and I got pedicures today! I was surprised the leg and foot massage didn't hurt me on my left leg but it didn't. My toes were in desperate need of a trim and removal of the polish from over 2 months ago. It was glorious.
 
Good for you @Susie-Q! The pedicure seems like a real treat and probably pretty uplifting.
 
Still waking up with a painful lower back in the morning. When I lay on my side with a pillow between my legs and it's towards morning, any shifting I do causes pain in my hips and lower back. Not sure what is causing this. Moving around in bed is still painful at times, especially when I've unconsciously been bending my left knee. Stretching it out again is very painful. All a part of the healing, I'm sure. Just annoying..... I also noticed a slightly burning sensation on the outside of The Knee. Nerves waking up? Probably.....
 
especially when I've unconsciously been bending my left knee. Stretching it out again is very painful

Yes, @Susie-Q -- This happens to me several times a night. I have pillows everywhere to try to maintain position, but when I'm asleep, The Knee does it's own thing and unbending it is so painful Glad to know I'm not alone and that's it just part of the journey.
 
Thank you both for these posts, Susie Q and Benne68)!! I’ve been having the same struggle with the knee , seems to have a mind & will of its own ( maybe as stubborn as the rest of me? So nice to know I’m in good company. The past week has been a real struggle with the nausea. I got advice from Dr office how to back off.... last Tramadol 8 PM last night. My appetite gradually returning - I’ve now lost 7 lbs, & as I have not been able to eat much, I’m
a little weak, no doubt I’ll find most, if not, all the weight once I’m able to eat more. ☺️Looking forward to food sounding good again.
And , btw, my therapist said the leg bending when you’re asleep...that’s normal..... the leg & knee saying “ I don’t LIKE that!!, & then getting back where It Does like... bent! Stubborn knees.....
Hope you both have a good weekend
 
Hi, Hawk2go..just saw your post.. I agree. At least now, no middle of the night Tramadol, I just adjust , & then back o sleep
 
Yep, same here @hawk2go . Changing positions is akin to a wrestling match, adjusting my knee pillow, covers and getting into a comfortable position. I go right back to sleep, thankfully.

Had PT this morning. Finally making more flexion progress. I was 105 Wednesday and today, 109-110. I owe it all to the bike and ADLs as I haven't done many exercises at all. She says the bike will really help with my ROM. I plan to use it every day for 10 min. Took a dog walk when I got back from PT. I could never have done that even a couple of weeks ago, I would have been wiped out. My stamina is much improved. It's getting easier to bend The Knee to get out of the car now too. Just a few degrees made a difference. She thinks my lower back pain might be from a weak core so we did a few core exercises today. I need to do more bridges at home but it's been difficult to do them on the bed as my sock feet just slip and I can't get a grip like I can at PT on the bench with tennis shoes. I'm going to try them with my non-skid socks (this was my epiphany I had today!). The whole idea of doing bridges is to make moving around in bed easier, according to my PT. Edited to add, she also massaged my scar a bit today and my IT band and quad. The IT band is tight and a bit sore, but that's to be expected. I'm curious to see if my scar will look like the one on my right knee or if it will be different. So far it's different, thinner, but it looks like it's starting to widen out a bit like my other one. I have a tendency to keloid a little bit so my scar is wider than most people's will be. Kind of jealous of those with tiny, thin, white scars but what can I do about it? Nothing! At least my old scar has flattened out and turned white. It's about half an inch wide though.

Taking it easy for the rest of the day today. Dinner tonight is more involved so I need to rest up after PT and my dog walk! It sure is nice to be out walking again and without that pain that I used to have.

@Catalien45 I never had nausea the first few weeks but I didn't have much of an appetite for awhile. I think it was the oxy I was taking. Nothing sounded good and I only ate because I knew I had to. Of course, that faded and now I'm back to food tasting great, which is a catch 22, right? :oyvey:
 
Changing positions is akin to a wrestling match, adjusting my knee pillow, covers and getting into a comfortable position.
Exactly! A very brief, sleepy wrestle with covers and pillows and garments and me - a cage match of sorts.

@Susie-Q - Great news on your activities. Now don't go and get all excited and try to make an 8 course meal.:snork: I'm planning to make some fresh fennel risotto with sweet Italian sausage (risotto requires constant care, so this will be a standing test) and a pasta sauce to freeze. Sending light and hopes for a great weekend.
 
Kind of jealous of those with tiny, thin, white scars

That scar is a badge of courage! Show it proudly.

You'd laugh if you saw my leg: in addition to the knee replacement scar, I have wiggly scars down my thighs (from my hip replacement) and up my calf from my ankle (break that required insertion of a plate). I've decided my right leg is a conversation piece.
Sounds like you are really doing well. You've inspired me to increase my bike time. :bicycle2:
 
@benne68 I eased into the 10 minutes on the bike, going slowly from 6 minutes a couple days, then 7 a couple days, etc.....
a cage match of sorts.
Yes, this exactly :snork:

Tonight is Chipotle chicken sweet potatoes. Just finishing the first part (baking the potatoes and the chicken) then I'm going to a friend's to exercise our doggies (she lets them run around her house like crazy lunatics). When I get back I will have to shred the chicken, wilt the spinach, add chipotle chilis, split and carve out some of the sweet potato meat, then arrange chicken/spinach back in the skins, top with cheese and bake. Your dinner sounds delicious! Have a great weekend everyone!
 
@Susie-Q You are a master chef! I get hungry just reading your posts. I lost y appetite for weeks and weeks. Nothing sounded good. There were odd moments where I would crave an English muffin or a particular cereal, but no dinner-type food appealed to me. Honestly don't know what it was, the anesthesia or the pain meds but it was pretty bad. The absolute strangest thing that no one I spoke with had ever heard of was that I had a funny taste in my mouth, like bitter apricots. Boy, was I relieved when it went away about week 5. I asked my son who is a pharmacist whether any of my prescriptions could be responsible for that and he said nothing came up in his research. He thought maybe it was the anesthesia. Have you ever heard of this?
 
Back
Top Bottom