TKR Susie-Q's 2nd TKR Recovery Thread

Is anyone else tweaking their knee during the night?

Yes! This has been happening to me the past few nights, @Susie-Q. I've finally reached the point where I'm comfortable sleeping on my side again -- and then, after a couple of hours, The Knee says "ENOUGH!" Trying to straighten my leg after having it in a bent position that long is equally uncomfortable. Hoping it's just a stop on the road to recovery.
 
My knee wakes me up at night because I think I get in pre surgery positions that it doesn’t like. Today it is stiff and sore and hurting much more than usual. The old roller coaster ride. I do finally see improvement every day now. Just about got my gait back to normal. Put the crutches in the attic. No more knee surgery for me! Glad I only have 2!
 
Yes, @VSing and @benne68 , this is it exactly! Unconsciously getting into pre-surgery knee positions (my knee likes to be bent while sleeping, who knew!) and then waking up to NO, IT DOES NOT LIKE IT. I'm waking up with a sore knee and a sore lower back every morning. I am able to lay on my left side for a bit (still tender) but can't lay one leg on top of the other yet so I put them side by side. I think this is throwing off my hips because I'm waking up around 6amish with a knotted up lower back. Very frustrating. I can't lay on my right side, even with a pillow between my knees because after a few minutes my left knee complains and then trying to lift it to go back on my back is painful. Moving around in bed is just annoyingly complicated still. I guess this is still early days for us so not much we can do except be patient.

I'm probably ready to give back the walker and cane to my sister. I borrowed them after her husband had a TKR a couple of years ago. I have their ice machine too but don't know if I should give it back yet. I might want to use it (even though I haven't for a few weeks now). I seem to be getting along fine with the many blue ice packs we have in the freezer. I bought a lap desk with legs and a back pillow you can sit against that I never used. I just never spent that much time in bed, I'd rather be out in the family room on the couch. Luckily they weren't that expensive and someone will have a use for it, I'm sure.

My sentiments exactly, @VSing ! No more knee surgery for me and hopefully not a revision in my future for a LONG TIME.
 
I think this is throwing off my hips because I'm waking up around 6amish with a knotted up lower back.

Back problem here too My PT suggested that, when sleeping on my side, trying to straighten the lower leg as much as possible and then putting a fat pillow under upper (The Knee) leg to keep the spine in better alignment. It didn't help with knee pain, but it does seem to be better for my back.

Looking forward to the day I can sleep on my stomach again!
 
I walked the dog today for the first time! I did two blocks near my house. I went around the big block and thought if I felt tired I could go right home but ended up going around the second block and then home. It was raining so the rabbits and squirrels were in hiding. I let her smell all the bushes along the way so I could get a few little breaks. She's a very good dog and doesn't pull. So far so good.....
 
@Susie-Q You make me laugh with your description of helping your hubby with the patio. It's in our nature as women to help whenever possible. It doesn't matter that we're recovering from major surgery, we think we can do it anyway!

I think you're at that stage where you feel better and that's when you definitely can go too far. I learned that the hard way, let me tell you!!
 
@Susie-Q Yes to your question about pain at night. I definitely was awakened during the night with pain in my knee from being in one position for too long. But happy to report that at 15 1/2 weeks, that seems to be over. I do see many things improving.

I am going back for my 3rd acupuncture appointment tomorrow and I definitely see a difference. I don't have that rubber band feeling, and my soreness when walking is now reduced greatly. The OS who is doing the treatments said 4 visits will be enough to let me know if they are a success. I already think they are.
 
Squats are very bad on a baby knee
Shoot, I've been doing squats since about week 2 thanks to my friendly neighborhood PT.

OK, I saw this & thought, “squats , at TWO weeks??.....no Way!” Well, guess what my PT had me do at my session the next day....... And they weren’t that bad. Only a few, baby ones. And, I’ve been doing 15-20 twice daily. And, my knee and leg are getting stronger. This journey is just Full of surprises!☺️
 
8 out of town. She's been locked out of the bedroom at night since my surgery because of her need to sleep ON me whenever she can. Well, I took pity on her and let her sleep with us. The problem is, she's a HUGE cat, 16 pounds, and she likes to sit at the end of the bed in between my legs/feet. So as you can imagine, it's just about impossible to shift positions without maneuvering around the giant Olive. I think she's causing me to move my leg/knee in ways it definitely doesn't like during the night. I had a harder time going around on the bike today, had some pain in my knee joint, although I was finally able to do it towards the end of my 7 minutes. Poor Olive is going to be locked out tonight......my knee comes first.

☺ I got tickled when I read this post, at Olive. 16 lbs is a big kitty! I often have had similar problems with our Felicity ( she’s only 11-12 lbs)- she likes to lay across my legs... on occasion, I’ve just had to move her. When our son was visiting from Germany in August, he nicknamed her “ Fuzzy Watermelon”, which is about how she feels when she lays on my legs! our little ( and the not so little) Friends really can give us some comfort, and humor, can’t they..
 
8 weeks today...... Groundhog Day. Took the contoured memory foam pillow to bed this time and whenever I was on my side I made sure to put the pillow in between my knees. It did help me retain that position for awhile without any pain but I still woke up with a sore knee from sleeping. That just seems weird, waking up with a sore knee from sleeping! This too shall pass. It's just annoying.

I forgot to mention that my dog walk yesterday was .8 of a mile! I was surprised as my usual walk with her, that I didn't think I could do yet, is only around .73 of a mile so I did pretty good! I did my bike last night for 7 minutes. I'm afraid to move the seat forward as it's a little tough to go around the horn where it's set right now but I guess I could move it forward and then go back and forth like I did before. I also did sit and stands from a chair, 20 of them. I'm not doing all my exercises, just some of them, different ones each day.

@Reader525 , so glad your acupuncture is working! Thank you for letting me know there is a light at the end of the tunnel with sleeping and not always waking up in pain. @Catalien45 , we've been calling Olive, Fatty Lumpkin. We have an old cat who we can't keep fed enough because Olive steals her food! It's a real juggling act around here to keep Maggie fed enough and Olive out of her food as she keeps getting fatter.

No PT this week! I've got lots of ADLs to do to get ready for my scrapbooking weekend with my girlfriends Thurs-Sun. Today I'm having my hair colored/cut and I think I will do a little shopping afterwards, just a couple of stores and not big ones like Target. Tomorrow I might actually venture to Costco. :flabber: I haven't been yet but I think I can handle it. Gotta get the pumpkins gutted so I can roast the seeds and then the kids can carve them while I'm gone. I'll get back on the 31st so they'll need to get done by then!
 
I've got lots of ADLs to do to get ready for my scrapbooking weekend with my girlfriends Thurs-Sun.
Sounds exciting, a get-away. If you overdo it at Costco (you'll probably walk more than a mile but on even ground), you'll have a day to rest.

Good work on the walking progress. I was never so excited as when I did the square block the first time - lol. :rotfl:

The sleep challenges make me want to record myself so I can study what happens when I sleep. I know I do a lot of bending to get to a pain free position but I wonder how often I do that each night. The last few mornings, my leg is stiff when I wake up but I don't have that deep pain from weeks ago.
 
It sounds like you are doing well... the scrapbooking sounds fun! I’m thinking of working on organizing some family photos, & getting more into frames when I’m a little further along. Today, I’m doing the same as you, on exercises. I did some earlier, got super tired & starting to hurt, so stopped & rested - will try to do the rest in a bit. Pretty sure I will do some on the bike tomorrow in PT. Not my favorite, but my PT Is great, she works my leg, but never aggressive. She’s done knee rehabs for years now.
I have to chuckle again at your Olive..... our Felicity ( fuzzy little watermelon) has become quite the Princess. She does keep an eye on us both, my husband upstairs, and me, once again on the couch.....only place I can really get comfortable at night. So she sleeps in, & around midday, appears for her wet food “ brunch”. She keeps us tickled a lot, & she is a sweet & very loyal little companion. And spoiled. Looking forward to how your excursions go. Take care, & be sure to Rest!
 
I drove to my friend's this morning so our doggies could play together for an hour in her house. Mostly sat and put my leg up on her chair. Hair appointment was over 2-1/2 hours. I actually asked for something to prop my leg up on as The Knee* was getting tired of being down and bent. It helped. I should have brought a disposable ice pack. At least if I can change positions I do much better. Then drove to Cost Plus and proceeded to buy out the store! We put together a basket of goodies for my 90 year old FIL for Christmas and it's a good place to get stocking stuffers for the adult kids: chocolates, gummy bears, tiny bottles of alcohol, etc..... Was glad to get that done before any shortages happen. I started my Christmas shopping early this year, already buying some stuff online.

Then when I got home I had to get a spaghetti squash in the oven to go with some frozen meat sauce I already thawed. I'm wiped..... One of my stops was going to be Williams Sonoma in the mall to give them my spent Nespresso pods to recycle but I forgot that at home. Probably for the best as I'm tired. I'm still planning on going to Costco tomorrow, unless something crazy happens!

Currently icing/elevating while the spaghetti squash bakes.

* I have stolen "The Knee" from Hawkie, love it! :heehee:
 
@Susie-Q I am AWED by your energy and activities!!! Holy Smokes!! I haven't attempted Costco, wouldn't even dream of it, it's a lot! Also, when I went for my hair I had to have a footstool too, it hurt too much to keep my leg down.
I still walk fairly slowly and I have been afraid to push walking past .7 miles. My thought was to keep the distance at that mark until it's really easy and then increase. I would say my walk is a little stiff, but my limp is fading away. Maybe I'll add .3 miles and make it a full mile this week. I suppose the soreness is there for now so waiting for it to disappear would be a long time coming.
Do you feel swollen or sore after your big outing?
 
I still walk fairly slowly and I have been afraid to push walking past .7 miles.
This makes me think of my trainer's advice decades ago. She was always encouraging but reminded me that correct form is more important to the outcome than number of repetitions.

@Susie-Q - how are you doing today?
 
@hawk2go - your trainer was right, it's so easy to get caught up in longer distances instead of form. I might push my limit though because I have been stuck at the corner of my street, my .7 mile marker for weeks. Even my dogs are ready to push it. Lol
 
Do you feel swollen or sore after your big outing?

Not too bad. I just looked at my Apple Watch app on my phone, with the dog walk I did 6562 steps on Sunday, a new record for me since surgery. Yesterday only 3630 steps. Still waking up with a sore lower back and sore knee from moving around in bed. Putting a pillow between my knees helps but as soon as I shift weird, I can make my hip/lower back hurt again. All part of the process, I'm sure, just annoying. I am going to go to Costco and the grocery store today. This will be my walk and I won't walk the dog in addition. Having the cart to walk with helps as will the disabled pass to park close. Lots to do before my weekend getaway and I have to space everything out so I don't overdo it....

As an aside, my daughter just came back from CA yesterday where she'd been visiting old roommates for the weekend. They went to Disneyland and CA Adventure and she said in two days they walked 23 miles!! :flabber: That's crazy!! I thought we did a lot of walking when I went to Vegas 2 years ago and we walked 15,000 steps a day.
 
Sorry about the soreness, good luck with the activities for today. Give yourself a break if they have stores where you're headed.
 
Back
Top Bottom