TKR Susie-Q's 2nd TKR Recovery Thread

I have the same challenge @Susie-Q. I feel strong and it feels good the day of, then I suffer for a day or 2 after. I have no clue on how to solve this puzzle since the only way I find out what I can do is by doing it, testing the limits. I have been successfully expanding my world in many trials but every now and again, I hit a wall. The positive part for me is that I note the walls and back off of them for future.

With that said, in the middle of increased pain yesterday and resumed daytime oxy, I helped prepare the room for new windows (they were installed today and look beautiful). I did the light stuff but I probably should not have done anything because even sitting activities require more movement and some getting up/down. So it's a steep learning curve - DOH!

Someone on another thread mentioned journaling all activity, every day, for a while (much like you log all food when dieting to include bites, licks and tastes). This way, we can look back and see what we did and how we felt a few days later. A more scientific way to figure out limits.
 
You are really working hard! I am so ready for the tight rubber band feeling to be gone from my knee so I can walk my normal pace! My mind thinks I can do lots of things but my knee keeps saying otherwise. You are an inspiration!
 
Good idea, @hawk2go , I should journal my activity. I try to mentally tally but I get carried away and I'm feeling good so I keep going. You are right. Sitting in a chair requires getting up and down, which adds to the activity.

I don't know about an inspiration, @VSing , maybe a cautionary tale? :spin:
 
Suzie-Q, reading your post is like listening to my own words. I too tend to get carried away in the moment & then slap my own face the next day when I’m too sore & tight to do anything. Learning the hard way, but happy that I can actually do the things I am doing, a small price to pay for the glory of certain freedoms.
 
@Susie-Q You're doing very well. The Advil (ibuprofen) can cause your throat discomfort. Almost all the NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatories) can cause that.
 
I too tend to get carried away in the moment & then slap my own face the next day when I’m too sore & tight to do anything.
This made me laugh out loud!! :rotfl:
 
Knee is angry, stiff and sore this morning. I'm not sure what I did (or over-did) to make it complain so much. I tossed and turned and could NOT get comfortable for the last hour and a half in bed this morning. Knee hurt, back hurt..... Went to PT yesterday, went to the store to get a couple of pumpkins, which I lifted into the cart, into the car and then onto the porch (ok, that might explain my back). Rested and iced the rest of the day except for folding some towels and sheets and walking around the kitchen for half an hour to get a pot roast in the oven. Rested and iced all evening. Not taking much Tylenol or Advil because I'm worried about liver damage and heartburn. And I'm not following my own advice about checking with my doc for alternatives..... To quote Tag Team, "Ooooop, there it is!!!" :no-fin:

I totally get why people come in here at around 2 months post op complaining they are hurting and why is this healing so slow? Ugh, patience is not in my arsenal these days......
 
ok, that might explain my back.

Hi @Susie-Q! My back has been bothering me as well. I mentioned it at PT today and he suggested it could be from spending so much time reclining to ice and elevate. Asked me if I'm doing anything to strengthen my abs (No. I'm not.) and reminded me that muscles atrophy when they aren't being used!:nah:

Anyway, he suggested adding an abdominal-strenghening exercise to my routine every other day to help with the back. Sharing for what it's worth!
 
My quads are sore too because I'm remembering she had me do some teeny, tiny squats yesterday, which was new. I held a rubber ball and squatted enough to touch it on the floor, knees over feet. (I have long arms) Wondering if that was an ok exercise for me to have done...... I think I only did 10 of them. I've been doing slightly bent-kneed sideways walking for a few weeks now and been fine with that.

Today is such a nice day that I really want to go for a walk. Tomorrow is supposed to be raining. Arguing with myself on whether I should do that or just rest and do ADLs..... I'll see how I feel this afternoon.
 
take a short walk ... stop when you need to stop.
 
I did. Probably the equivalent to 1/2-3/4 of a block. Down my street, across and back up to the mailbox and home. Everything fine. Otherwise, just ADLs and icing/elevation.

Onward and upward!
 
My quads are sore too because I'm remembering she had me do some teeny, tiny squats yesterday, which was new. I held a rubber ball and squatted enough to touch it on the floor, knees over feet.
Squats are very bad on a baby knee, which yours is. Its reaction is your answer...it's too early for you to be doing this. Wait another month or so and then try it again. There is no reason for your knee to suffer a setback because of doing something it isn't ready to do. Patience is needed for this recovery. That is not an easy thing. I know, I've been there!
 
@sistersinhim Do you think this could explain my increased stiffness/soreness for the past couple of mornings? I've woken up very stiff lately and yesterday I didn't do any exercises, only a short walk outside and ADLs along with lots of icing/elevating. Some of it is maneuvering around in bed, my knee hasn't liked that at all.....
 
Squats are very bad on a baby knee
Shoot, I've been doing squats since about week 2 thanks to my friendly neighborhood PT.
I was going to defend this too. I did them today and they are really baby squats. I'm holding a 12 inch rubber ball in my hands and squatting with my knees over my toes (about 18 inches apart) enough to touch the ball on the ground. I have flexible hamstrings and long arms, it's really not very far, just a few inches. My knee doesn't hurt but I can tell I'm working my quads. These are definitely NOT deep squats, no way I could do that yet.

I went around on the bike today for the first time, both front and back. :flabber: I had the seat pushed back a bit further so it was easier. It was scary at first and for the first few times but then it got easy. We moved the seat up one notch and I was able to do it again. Something to work on next week at home when I won't have any PT. She said it will really help my ROM.
 
Do you think this could explain my increased stiffness/soreness for the past couple of mornings? I've woken up very stiff lately and yesterday I didn't do any exercises, only a short walk outside and ADLs along with lots of icing/elevating.
I was going to defend this too. I did them today and they are really baby squats. I'm holding a 12 inch rubber ball in my hands and squatting with my knees over my toes (about 18 inches apart) enough to touch the ball on the ground. I have flexible hamstrings and long
If you think they are not hurting you then keep on doing them. For most patients squats are harmful to them at this early stage.
 
I went around on the bike today for the first time, both front and back. :flabber: I had the seat pushed back a bit further so it was easier. It was scary at first and for the first few times but then it got easy.
I was going to try this tomorrow instead of outpatient PT. I'm drawing on your positive energy.
 
@hawk2go , make sure you put that seat back as far as you can first to make it easier. You can always move it forward once going around both ways is easy. This is a good reminder. I need to work on the bike today too.....and go for a walk.

My PT gave me exercises that really worked my quads and hamstrings yesterday. I can feel it today. This is good, those muscles have been very underworked for awhile. The knee is fine, a little stiff in the morning but it always is these days before it works itself out.
 
Is anyone else tweaking their knee during the night? I'm not sure if I'm getting into a bad position unconsciously and then it wakes me up because it hurts or if moving around in general is causing this but I've woken up twice now with pain inside of my knee. I'm sure it's normal as we all heal but it sure is frustrating. I can lay on my left side but not my right even with a pillow in between. After a few min, the left knee definitely does NOT like it.

No PT for me until Nov 1st as my therapist is out of town next week helping her mother in law recover from her TKR and no one else was available. Bully for me! I've been using my recumbent bike, going around both directions for around 6-7 min and will work my way up to 10 per my PT's instruction. Doing exercises but splitting them up and doing some one day and some the next. Trying to focus on gently stretching my ROM, which was still stuck at 105 as of Wed. She wants me to sit and stands, which I do at PT, every other day but also some weird one where I put a strap around my foot and then over my shoulder and pull my foot up towards my back. I'm sorry but I'm not going to do that one. It looks like some kind of medieval torture.

Today I'm going wine tasting with my sister again and a friend. @hawk2go , now I want to make chili! It's definitely a day for warm comfort food here.
 
Last edited:
I think I figured it out. We've let my daughter's cat in our room the past couple of nights because my daughter's out of town. She's been locked out of the bedroom at night since my surgery because of her need to sleep ON me whenever she can. Well, I took pity on her and let her sleep with us. The problem is, she's a HUGE cat, 16 pounds, and she likes to sit at the end of the bed in between my legs/feet. So as you can imagine, it's just about impossible to shift positions without maneuvering around the giant Olive. I think she's causing me to move my leg/knee in ways it definitely doesn't like during the night. I had a harder time going around on the bike today, had some pain in my knee joint, although I was finally able to do it towards the end of my 7 minutes. Poor Olive is going to be locked out tonight......my knee comes first.
 
Back
Top Bottom