TKR Susie-Q's 2nd TKR Recovery Thread

Note to everyone, when buying anything from Amazon, please consider going through Amazon Smile.

If you choose to make any purchases through Amazon (not just this item, but anything you buy), sign up for the smile.amazon program. This allows you to have Amazon donate a small portion of your purchase to BoneSmart. You pay nothing extra! You get products you want and we get help to keep BoneSmart up and running. Here is a link to smile.Amazon:

About smile.amazon

Be sure when you sign up that you designate our parent non-profit organization,

“The Foundation for the Advancement in Research in Medicine, Inc“ (FARM).

Any funds go directly to BoneSmart through them and you are allowed to take a tax donation deduction.

Thanks for your support of Bonesmart! :flwrysmile:
 
A little sore this morning and still tired. I'm sure I overdid it yesterday. It's amazing how much simple chores can tire you out. I had to dump the cat litter bag and dog poop scooper this morning and re-line them with plastic bags, out to the garbage twice. Tired! Reclining on the couch with my ice pack. Today is PT and other than that I plan to take it easy.
 
I just reread Josephine's article on Healing: How long does it take? At 5 weeks I am still in short-term recovery. I would link the article here but I don't know how.:what: It's good to reread it even if you've read it before.

Short-term recovery also involves getting off major pain killers and having a full night's sleep without pills. Once a patient no longer needs walking aids and can walk around the house without pain - in addition to being able to walk two blocks or around the house without pain or resting - all of these are considered signs of short-term recovery but can take anything between 6 or even 16 weeks.

Restoration of general tone and vitality - up to 6 months
 
A couple of things I have learned:

1. I can't fall asleep on my stomach anymore. This was always my go-to prior to surgery. I would read on my left side for a bit and then flip onto my stomach facing left and within 5 min I would be out. Not so much anymore. I seem to be having trouble falling asleep these days, even after taking 2 Tylenol PM. Last night it took more than 2 hours before I could fall asleep even though I was yawning and tired.

2. I think my UTI is back. 5 days of Ciprofloxacin was apparently not enough. My last pill was Wed morning and last night symptoms were back. :nah:I am a bit annoyed that my dr office didn't send my urine to the lab like they should have to make sure I was on the correct antibiotic. (my sister in law is a nurse and said they should have done this) The sample I gave them was very small, enough to test in the office but not enough to send out. They had me drink a bunch of water but then never asked for another sample. I have an appointment today so hopefully things will get set right. Those of you who have had frequent UTIs, maybe this is normal? For it to take more than one round of antibiotics to kill it?

I walked around my block yesterday, 20 houses, up from 18 a couple of days before. I woke up some muscles in my thigh that had been quiet prior. Nothing major, just a little soreness. I also did not wake up during the night to take Advil. First time I haven't taken any meds during the night after surgery. Knee is still a bit stiff and uncomfortable maneuvering around in bed (I keep accidentally pulling the blanket off my feet!) but that's to be expected this early out. I'm going to get some Tylenol/Advil combo pills today when I go to the pharmacy.

Edit: forgot to mention, PT measured me at 103 on Wednesday so I'm slowly coming along. I scheduled more appointments (2/week) through mid-Nov.
 
Last edited:
Those of you who have had frequent UTIs, maybe this is normal? For it to take more than one round of antibiotics to kill it?

My daughter has had this issue. You may need a different antibiotic. There are several used to treat UTIs, depending upon the type of bacteria. Insist that they send out the sample this time so they can target the infection better.
 
I was so used to that bone on bone pain
It's really marvelous to not have that pain! My pre-op pain really kicked in when I descended anything - stairs, ramp, hill, etc. - so much that I still brace myself when I walk downwards. I'm surprised when there is no pain response. I can definitely get used to that!

You'll probably be walking the pup in a few weeks. As my yoga instructor says "if your body permits".
 
@hawk2go Yes!!! I remember that for sure! I still brace myself when I'm walking down a gentle incline, like our driveway. I remember having to so very carefully walk when taking the rolling garbage cans out to the street pre-op.

Went into the doc this morning, I only have a trace of bacteria in my urine, very tiny. She ordered me some new antibiotics but said to wait and see if my symptoms come back this weekend before picking them up. Today the symptoms are gone. Having wine last night I think irritated my bladder. I guess I will have to wait awhile longer before I can have any. Never had any problems like this before, ever!! I was a nightly wine drinker! The other thing I've noticed about having a glass of wine is my face flushes red for at least 2 hours! I might get a flush for 5-10 minutes before but now it seems to effect me a lot more. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come. I do love my red wine and would be sad if I couldn't have any anymore. :sad: It might just be my body saying, "it's too soon, girlfriend...."

My daughter is still taking the dog to work, which is nice. Not every day but often. We don't have a doggie door and so getting up to let her out can be a pain when you're nicely settled on the couch with a blanket and an ice pack. It's been too cold lately to leave the door propped open. Today everyone is gone and I'm by myself with just the cats, pure bliss!!! :egypdance:
 
A couple of new things for me: I slept under the covers last night for the first time. I thought I'd try it and could always go back to sleeping on top if it didn't work. Surprisingly, it worked! I was much warmer than just under a blanket or two and seemed to be able to maneuver around fine. I have been doing bridges at PT and my therapist said they would help with moving around in bed and she was right. I also woke up at least 4 times to go pee because I have been pushing a lot of water to make sure to flush this UTI out. I did not take any medications though, just went right back to sleep. That's the second night in a row I didn't take Tylenol or Advil during the night. Knee is a little stiff this morning but it's that way every morning.

I'm hoping hubby will put the finishing touches on my recumbent bike today so I can finally use it. I kind of forgot and didn't do any PT exercises yesterday, just went for a short walk, puttered around the house and went to the doctor in the morning. Relaxed on the patio for an hour or two, it was sunny and our patio faces the south so it's usually 5-10 degrees warmer there.
 
That's what I figured and that's why I didn't do them. I only did them once yesterday too, along with a walk around the block last night with hubby and the dog and ADLs during the day.

For some reason, (must be old habits) while sleeping, my knee wants to be bent and to the side when I'm on my back and then I wake up with it very stiff and sore. Other than that, I'm thankful that I am sleeping well. I seem to remember not sleeping as well with my first knee until at least 6 weeks post-op.
 
Last edited:
6 Weeks Post-op

What does this mean for me? I'm averaging between 3300-5200 steps a day. Not trying to do a certain amount, this is just what my Apple Watch is telling me. I can walk around my block, which is 20 houses. I'm doing laundry and dishes with breaks here and there. I'm even making dinners again as long as they aren't too involved. Last night I used my Traeger for the first time since surgery, I made steaks. My PT measured me at 104 today so a bit slow there but that's ok. Not sure where I am on extension, somewhere between 0-2. I can go upstairs using both legs, not one at a time. I just discovered this last night. I can't go downstairs that way yet and still have to do one step at a time. I cannot go around the recumbent bike yet in a whole revolution but that will come eventually. I'm sleeping under the covers now and not on top with a blanket. I can sleep on my stomach or back and on my side for a little while until my knee complains. I'm also not taking any pain medication during the night. Last night was the second night of that. Still taking Tylenol and Advil during the day, although I'm taking them both at 9am, 3pm and 9pm and not alternating every 3 hours. I bought some combo pills today (Advil and Tylenol together) so I won't have to take as many pills at once. I even put the garbage out the other night, although I probably shouldn't have. I've been to the grocery store a few times but only to get a few things, a small cart full, not a big shopping trip. I've not been to Costco yet. I even vacuumed the hallway and entryway over the weekend. No repercussions. I haven't used the ice machine at night for at least a week, maybe two? I still ice and elevate whenever I'm on the couch, which is often. I still have bruises on my left calf and ankle and they are still tender. My incision is almost all the way closed, only a couple of tiny scabs. To the left of my incision it's still fairly numb and I'm sure it will be for awhile. My right knee eventually got quite a bit of feeling back over time as the nerves regenerated. I'm scheduled to see my surgeon this Thursday. I have more PT appointments scheduled through mid-Nov.

About the only thing I'm not doing yet is walking the dog but I'm close. All that being said, I still get tired doing normal household chores, I definitely don't have the stamina I had prior to surgery yet. Baby steps.....

You may be doing more or less than me at 6 weeks, your mileage may vary. :spin:
 
@Susie-Q You are doing FANTASTICALLY! Look atvall the things you can do that you couldn't do a couple of weeks ago, and I love how you are able to appreciate the positives. I forget when you had your surgery, but it hasn't been that long, has it? I don't know if you realize how lucky you are to be able to walk without pain, I'm so happy for you. :wowspring:
 
Yay, Susie-Q! You are doing really well at 6 weeks! Hooray! It’s really helpful for Bonesmart lurkers, too, to see how much recovery really does vary, person to person. You’ve documented the aspects of your recovery really well, too… I bet you will help a bunch of folks down the road!
 
I am 10 days behind you and your post has given me a lot of encouragemen! It also Gives me a lot to look forward to. I am doing many things you are doing. I just need to add more steps. I got 3600 in today which I am thrilled with! Pain is still there and I am on tylenol round the clock, I am Hoping I can handle a 1600 mile car ride at the end of October! Time to head south!
 
That's great progress @Susie-Q! I know it seemed those small victories would never come. :yes!:

Today is 5 weeks for me, I don't count steps or measure ROM, but am encouraged by how close I am to normal ADLs. That really is the thing - getting back to a life free from that awful knee pain.
 
Thanks, all! There are times I feel like my recovery thread is SO WORDY and why would anyone take the time to read it all??? I hope it helps someone. It is good to have successful stories on here and not just those with problems. This website is such a great resource!
 
There are times I feel like my recovery thread is SO WORDY and why would anyone take the time to read it all??? I hope it helps someone

@Susie-Q It does help! I love reading the details. While I know that each of us is different and progresses at our own pace, it's great to see your progress and know there is light at the end of the tunnel. (and that it isn't an oncoming train :heehee: ) Please keep posting!
 
Back
Top Bottom