THR SurreyGirls's 2nd THR Journey

The physio is excellent. It starts from the moment one leaves the bedroom as they concentrate on walking and good form. We tackle the mini outdoor obstacle course including cobbled stone, slopes and steepish steps. Everything is explained very well. My husband had already given me the height of the two steps front and back into our house. Back to my room for a date with the ice machine and down un time for the pre-lunch drinkies. Everyone is friendly and sociable and I start to enjoy myself..
 
The physio goes well and these guys know their stuff. The click starts ticking the minute they collect huh and they watch your gait as you go down to the physio area. We tackle the outside assault course consisting of cobble stones, slopes and steps. Hubby had given me the dimensions of our steps to our house which are quite steep but this time I am taught Well with particular relevance to coming off a steep step. Five years ago at home that had not gone too well.

And with plenty of time to ice and relax my friend Janet turned up for lunch.
 
No pain this time. The icing has had time to work its magic. We have a lovely time. It was Janet whom, years ago had recommended the HFH first time round. The staff are very attentive and checking up on me. Janet and I go to the roof terrace and have after lunch coffee. The weather is lovely. She is v impressed with how this hip is behaving compared to the previous one. .
 
Update:
Discharged from the Hotel for Hippies after 10 days. Sadly due to issues with the assisted showering the wound did get wet as was discovered by the NHs clinic when taking off the main dressing and removing the suture.

so over the subsequent three weeks I have had to go back to the excellent NHS nurses scar checked and temporary dressing changed. I was also being monitored for Sepsis as the scar was still oozing stuff and there was some concern .

It also meant that hubby had to tape a temporary plastic waterproof membrane over the top so I could shower at home.

Good news is that this week I got the all clear from the nurses.. no more dressing! Yay! And I am allowed to massage the scar area with non scented cream. Last time I used Aveeno with excellent results.

Re the Hotel for Hippies.. not as good as last time but I would still recommend it - with some caveats. I have returned there for some physio and am hoping to try out their aqua therapy and finally get into their famous pool and see what the fuss is all abkut.

Recovery at home going well - hubby has stepped up to the job and is cooking me delicious meals. Lucky with the weather too so can sit outside and literally watch our garden grow!

5 weeks in and fatigue and brain fog is a huge issue. The problems seem to be more mental than physical..

Sone more stories to come as this impatient recovering hippie attempts a “normal” social life!
 
Sounds as if you are doing well @SurreyGirl :yay:
Not surprised about the fatigue and brain fog given all that you have been through. Take it easy, one day at a time - best wishes.
 
@SurreyGirl - I've so enjoyed reading your thread about the HFH, I found it just before my op and said to my husband that I wanted to go there but he said they would be fully booked, we were too far away and why did I need to go there when I had him to look after me - Bless him ! But I'm bearing it in mind if I ever need to get my 2nd hip done.

It is a shame about your wound, it's the last thing you want to have to worry about after having major surgery. I'm having my clips out today and can't wait although I am a little apprehensive as I think it might hurt so I might up the pain relief beforehand. Hopefully once they're out I can have a shower !
 
SurreyGirl-
Loved the posts! I read and enjoyed my coffee as if I too were at the HFH- only the good parts though. If this is your writing through brain fog, I can only imagine clear brain. Is writing part of your daily work or a delightful talent you get to enjoy? Please post more as your posts were well received!
 
There have been lots of little stories re my recovery at home and the attempts of my long-suffering husband to look after me… he has been quiet patient up to now.. cooking nice meals, washing and tidying (sometimes), chasing moths and hornets out of my room with a giant fishing net. And escorting them humanely off the premises. Thank goodness he was sober… however…
 
I took delivery of a gorgeous pair of brown winter boots. The first I had ordered for years as finally slim enough (just about) to get into them.

Putting them on was fine. Tight fit but on!

Then I realised.. I could not get them off as not allowed to bend down and pull them. Hubby is summoned.

He tried to pull them off without accidentally dislocating my new hip. He is a bit cross and I am in fits of giggles.

Lovely new boots now banished to their box until fit for purpose! And I am in the doghouse..
 
[Bonesmart.org] SurreyGirls's 2nd THR Journey
You need one of these! You're a Brit. Surely you have a boot pull?
 
I have definitely found my people! Boots are always a great idea! I have high arches and understand the perils of boot removal. Gasp, I had never heard of a boot pull. What a game changer!
 
@Jaycey That boot pull looks really strange, I can't figure out how it works :chinstroke:

I have been using a boot pull for years aka my husband. He's quite enthusiastic and even managed to pull me off the step I was sitting on once when I had a really tight pair of boots on that he was trying to get off.
 
Yesterday I did a mile walk to the outskirts of our new country park and admired the wild flower meadow. An hours walking was too much though so am resting a bit today.

At the other end of the country park is a coffee shop and handmade icecream booth so some incentive there.

Sushi tonight!
 
Are you both walking on paved paths? I am out in the country. My sister’s yard is ups and downs so I am lapping the house.
 
Hi, my hippy pal:wave:
Had a lot going on as of late and have been trying to catch up on the forum.
You sound like you are doing wonderful for these early days.
Hope your weekend is Sweet:SUNsmile:
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom