THR SurreyGirls's 2nd THR Journey

And I make a HUGE decision. I am getting very worried about the state of my brain and anxiety levels. And so I decide to NOT take the morphine tonight. I am self medicating and the paracetemol is to be taken on a regular basis but morphine and codeine optional. I haven’t touched the Codeine. Horrible stuff! I fill a vial with 5ml of morphine and have it in my tea tray within east reach. My paracetemol doses are all up to date. With sone trepidation I prepare to sleep. Oh abd I can lift my leg into bed now using a creole bandage. It is also a great way of monitoring pain levels..
 
Last edited:
3am Tuesday morning. Wake up, pee and have a stretch. Walks around the room for a bit and order the cheese and biscuits I saved from supper earlier. They come up under a silver coloured dome. With that and a lot of tea I contemplate the quiet hours (bar the screeching owl (named Henwig of course!!) in the tree outside) and go back to sleep.. as I get into bed I think. Pain level at a 3. More than when I got into bed but manageable..
 
Tuesday and this worm is turning..

Breakfast came at 8:30am. Good - one request listened to. I can eat and take the morphine at 9:45am with physio at 10am. Sadly my beautiful poached egg - delivered from the ground floor to the second floor in perfect condition congeals as my thinner injection takes place at the same time. Abd it hurts! Why? Ah! I haven’t had any morphine since mid afternoon yesterday…

So with a nice breakfast, full and in schedule I wait for todays Carer. And wait.. and wait..
 
I check the bathroom. The plastic apron material used to temporarily cover the wound drawing has gone. No white flannel to wash my face. I use the green flannel to do my “bits” so am more than ready for the Carer to arrive and wash the rest of me and, importantly my hair which is now more manky than before and itching from sleeping on my back. Ugh! But I am in a good frame of mind. I have managed a night without morphine and pain levels within reason . A 1-2. Walking in the night definitely helps. And my brain feels clearer. I am ready to face the day, with rather more optimism than before. The following, which may or may not be of use, are my thoughts processes re coming off the morphine at night…
 
Last edited:
I Did it! I Made it through the night without morphine!

I have been following an Neural Language Programme (NLP) for the last 7 months in order to lose weight. My Consultant is a stickler for BMI and I knew I had to lose enough weight to impress him. I succeed hence his agreement to put me on a cancellation list .

The programme also has a What If? Scenario for dealing with difficult situations, worse fears etc. so far I had not implemented it but it suddenly crossed my mind. “What If I could cut down on the morphine - particularly at night?

In comparison during my last hip
Op 5 years ago it took me ages to have the confidence..

So I sat down with a nice pot of tea and thought through the following:-

1. I already had experienced the worse pain and got through it
2. I knew from my body and very recent experience how long it took for the morphine to kick in (about 35 mins)
3. Could I stand the pain knowing there would be a time limit on it. It would’ t be pleasant but, yes I could.
4. I Went to bed rather nervous. And I made sure I listened to the Calm Pod and the one about standing up to stuff including sugar and other toxic elements in one’s life , tonight’s subject being the morphine! I Had icepacks and paracetemol on schedule at 10pm.. Sleep kicked in around at 11 pm
5. Woke up needing a wee at 2:45am. Got up, walked around etc. was hungry so rang for tea as I had a plate of biscuits and cheese on standby..
6. Staff nurse N came in and told me off as she assumed I had not gone to bed. I laughed and said actually I had just woken up and was it ok to ask her for tea.
7. I asked for a “mug of tea”.. she thought I wanted mango tea! I laughed and said “no, normal please”
8. I fetched over the cheese plate and awaited the tea.
9. 8. An entire tray arrives, teapot, milk etc
10. I am really hungry (withdrawal symptoms? but first I take an “arty farty” still life picture of the cheese whilst drinking the tea. And I’m pleased with the pic and it is sent to two friends who are awake in America and The Caribbean and are seeing me through the wee (pun intended) hours of the morning. Bless them. Much appreciated..
11. I savour the cheese and then devour it.,I’m so hungry. I reject the soapy cheddar though. My stomach has standards!
12. I walk around a bit. This eases the stiffness a lot.. and has become a regular habit..
13. I Brush my teeth, and ring again. I ask for new icepacks.
14. I get back into bed. Lifting the op leg in via the crepe bandage is always a good pain indicator. Level 3-4. Hmmm.
15. I figure out that some paracetemol may be a good idea at this point and I am well beyond the last dose. So I take it. The “Lovely L” comes in with the icepacks. He has been great. Tucking me in with care and a great example of what a Carer should be as are many others here.. Same routine with the ice packs , one for my thigh, one just slightly under it and, my invention, one for my lower back (calms down the back and buttock muscles) tucked calmly in between back and pillow. I am beyond comfortable.
16. I put a Radio Play on via my Sleepphones and drift off.
17. I wake up hungry. And stretch. “Harry the Hip” is very stiff but only slightly sore. The icepacks are cool but not icy. It is light outside
18. I check the time. It is 7am.
19. I get up, brush my teeth and order tea…
20. A new day, I’m still here and I’m hungry!
 
:giggle:Loving your updates @SurreyGirl - entertaining for those of us who can recognise a few of your experiences and, I'm sure, helpful for others wondering what to expect. Your lovely sense of humour shines through it all. Best wishes.
 
Good for you, SurreyGirl!
It is wonderful that you were able to forego the morphine since it seems to affect your mental clarity and cause anxiety. There is certainly no shame in using what is needed at this point, but since you prefer to stop taking it to feel more lucid and less uneasy, I am happy you made it through! With any luck the adjustment in meds will keep you comfortable. I do hope your day is a peaceful one! Thanks for the update. :)
@SurreyGirl
 
I’m writing this in retrospect based on my notes of last week but not changing anything., I still take the morph prior to physio or excercise in lieu of physio but not any night nor any extra paracetemol. Fingers crossed xx
 
:giggle:Loving your updates @SurreyGirl - entertaining for those of us who can recognise a few of your experiences and, I'm sure, helpful for others wondering what to expect. Your lovely sense of humour shines through it all. Best wishes.

Well trust me there were times when my sense of humour was sorely tested… coming to this very shortly but afternoon fatigue setting in so need to give the screen and myself a break xx thanks for your lovely comment!
 
afternoon fatigue setting in
Oh, that post-operative recovery fatigue really does knock us out, doesn't it? Rest whenever and where ever you can -- we'll be here when you feel up to posting.
:flwrysmile:
 
You are all so kind! Had a good day today relaxing on the small patio under a sun umbrella and reading and looking at the changes in the garden that has blossomed in just12 days…I need to have my wound dressings checked as the top layer is peeling off and I have blisters . Might be allergic to the tape. My local NHS Practise were quick to respond. Hubby had a thermal imager so took a pic of my bottom. The whiter the image the hotter the area . Around the wound site is fine and the only really white area was where I had been sitting down. I submitted this pic along with the classic pics of the wound site. Ally tomorrow so hopefully they can advise. All this lot is due to come off after the BH weekend as originally the auto bots in the NHS booked my spot for the Sunday of the BH weekend. I checked with my local medical centre and, not surprisingly , they aren’t open…
Next post will be continuing the blog of the hotel for hippies and when a lost it… a little!
 
BH - BANK HOLIDAY for those in the states unaware...as I was.
I had to look it up, SurreyGirl. :wink:
There is a thread in the Social Area of the forum that's kind of interesting as it lists the UK vs the American version of many different words / items.
 
Present day. Got wound dressing checked. I need to keep it dry until the suture comes out next Tuesday. . Nurse checked for reaction to the temporary stretchy hotel for Hippies put on top. She cut away the tape over the affected skin as much as possible and advised me against E45 cream and the blisters get some air. The tiny red dots underneath the taking remind me of a reaction I sometimes get to HRT patches. As I am still coping with the wound that must not get wet I guess strip washes and hair washed via a jug but the end of this stage is in sight. And can have the shower to end all showers!!

Now back to last week and the Hotel for Hippies, the issues and whether it shoujd be demoted to a Motel :-)
 
whether it should be demoted to a Motel :)
:rotfl: Oh NO! Not that bad, I hope...
You need to get home soon and be able to relax in your own space and have breakfast exactly when you want it.
 
I'm really enjoying your journey SurreyGirl. While I'm recovering over here in the US, my wife is from the UK and I have a good friend in the UK who is on the wait-list for a THR so following you hits close to home!
 
Hi everyone. There are two timelines.. one about the recovery place and the other present day.

I left the HFH on Sunday and have been continuing the recovery at home.

It is going VERY well so far and the great weather has helped. I wanted a practise nurse to check the state of my wound and dressing before I blogged any more. This has now been done and all fine.

I am really tired so willl catch up tomorrow as need a rest. The fatigue hits like a wal!
 
Hi SurreyGirl,
Glad you're home and your wound looks as it should. I hope you're able to rest easy now.
Sounds like you may need to recover from the recovery facility.
Hope to hear from you soon!
@SurreyGirl
 
Hi everyone. It has been a few days of rest and healing at home - more of that to come but, back to the Hotel for Hippies (HFH) and a party conclusion.

This follows on from thread number 45 following my first night without morphine..
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom