THR SurreyGirls's 2nd THR Journey

My brother-in-law still has the lingering cough. It had to be tough dealing with two recoveries at once. I am glad work is going well. Since you saw their expert, hopefully your higher ups will honor your work plan. Hearing about getting to move your bed back is encouraging. Currently I am trying to think of what I need to do to make mine easier to navigate independently. Hope your day goes well!
 
I normally get in the left hand side of the bed but needed to move the bed to get into the right side. I felt for a while now it was worth trying the lh side . Hubby moved the bed so the the eh side is now against the wall. No issue ms last night. Still sleeping downstairs sans hubby though. He has the kingsize all to himself!
 
Same preference here- may need to slide bed out more when I return home. My need to do list is growing!
 
So Covid still with me but mainly fatigue, cough and occasional bad headache.

Non working day today but I managed 3.5-4 hours mon-Thursday with regular breaks for walking about to relieve the stiffness..

Tried sitting in my MX5 (Miata) yesterday. Getting out, albeit from a low platform was ok. Getting in was tricky. Before, with my operated left hip I could just slide it in. With my right leg I need to bend at the knee and swing the leg in. This breaks the 90 degree rule but there is no other way. I need to remember to put the seat back as far as possible to lessen the knee bend.

I reversed across the drive and then forward again a few times. And gently used the brake with my right foot.

I am not rushing this so will try again next week and pick a quiet time to take her for a small run.

My drive to work is often in heavy traffic so a lot of stop start with the brake!

Still it is progress
 
Yay on the driving! It’s like being a teenager again but with a really cool car! Thanks for sharing your strategies! Happy Friday!
 
Thank you!

The Covid bout is worse this time around - particularly the chest congestion so still sleeping on my back but upright!

Can now get into bed from either side so bed pushed back to wall giving more room in my bedroom/office.

Missing seeing friends as I don’t want to give them Covid!

Work in a p/t basis keeping me busy and I am very happy to relax in the afternoons.
OH report through and going to my HR and boss today. In the report it says that HR and Mgt can still overrule the GP and OH suggestions. ! Let’s hope they are sensible.


For my first hip back in Jan, I took 8 weeks off work, then had a phased return that last for some time. Even though I was back at work, I was still struggling with tiredness, having to sleep on my back (very badly, almost insomina) and just generally low energy that took a long time to get back. At the 8 week mark, HR wanted to have an review - something to do with AXA company insurance, that is, if employees are off long term sick there is a health insurance policy to enable staff to be paid full-time, so AXA wanted to step in early to make sure the employee who is off sick is doing everything possible to return to work as soon as possible. I was wondering when I read what you were experiencing was something to do with this, something maybe your employer has set up. If I had to go back full time at 8 weeks, I just wouldn't have coped. It's different for different folk, but certainly I couldn't have managed it.

I have just had the same conversation as just about to go on medical leave for my second hip. My partner and friends are all encouraging me to stay off longer this time round, but it's over Christmas anyway when I will be due to go back. I am hoping it will be easier this time!
 
Well I am in the Uk. Oddly enough I qualify for 6 months in full pay but jf I do a phased return I only get 4 weeks full pay before they cut my salary! Stupid!

Last time I had to physically be in the office after 8 weeks. This time OH suggested that I work from home for a month gradually increasing my hours. I am currently on week 9 of recovery. I think this is doable. Due to my Boss’s work commitments he can’t talk to me until next Thursday and then only 30 min meeting so I am very much having to work things out for myself. This is not a bad thing! I’m v tired today but think this is more to do with the Covid now…
I think if you can take the full 12 weeks do so’ my problem is that the work is piling up with courses running next month and things need sorting out and if it piles up too much I will crack! Sadly the “cover” I had whilst away just put clients on hold until my return so not ideal.. my Union is aware and being copied in just in case.
 
What horrible timing to have Covid during your THR recovery. You are soldiering through, though. That's impressive! I think I'd be wallowing in self pity. I hope you are able to continue to pace yourself with a few hours daily. take care and I hope the weekend helps with your recovery.
 
@SurreyGirl you are definitely just going with the flow and doing it well. I so understand how you're feeling about having to get back to work, even work from home.

Had some type of stuff happen when I was out for my spine surgery, my cover was lacking. Our military boss was trying to get my boss to let me work from home before I was ready to return to the office. That was a big not happening back then, pre covid. And once I returned on phased return that only lasted like a week before stuff hit the fan and I was back full time. Once you're back they all think you're fair game and back all the way.
 
Unfortunately that is very true. Once you are back you are back but I am putting my good foot down this time….

According to OH I am supposed to add an hour to each day this coming week making it 4-5 hours a day but will see how it goes. That is a lot of sitting and concentrating. and I’m also aware that the Covid is making me a bit tired too. At least that has getting better!

A beautiful sunny morning so will do some more walking around the garden later..

Currently in bed with armed with a Lemsip and binge watching the new series of “Interview with a Vampire”…. (Oh the shame)… at least it’s not dark..

Have a good day everyone..
 
Agree with putting your foot down. Work boundaries are needed in this time. Glad you are having sunny weather. My morning is drizzle and rain. Is that series good?
 
but I am putting my good foot down this time….
:heehee: You tell em girl!
My "good" foot made me chuckle. I hope you were able to get out into the fresh air and sunshine and you feel better soon. What is this lemony concoction you mention, Lemsip? I am often entertained by Brit speak...in a fond way.
 
Hi! Lemsip is a drink comprising 500mg paracetemol, lemon and a decongestant.

I tested negative this morning and felt a lot better so went out for a Chinese lunch with hubby and then did a Mile walk, this time with one crutch. I was shattered when I got back so put my feet up, strapped on an icepack and binge watched a programme… leg a bit achy but not too bad… on the mend!
 
Yes it is! Quite gory but with a sense of humour and a great score. Wanders away from the original Anna Rice novel by quite a way but well acted. You will need a strong stomach and don’t watch it in the dark! On Bbc iPlayer and Amazon Prime..
 
Morning….
I managed to sleep on my side a little. Not quite comfortable just yet but now possible.. will test out walking a little later as hip a bit sore when I put weight on it. . Maybe I’m not ready to do a mile with one crutch as yet… so “may” have overdone it yesterday. It’s such a tricky balance..
 
Good old Lemsip!

I’m still finding it difficult finding the right balance! I did too much Thurs and ended up with increased pain Fri and Sat so scaled back this weekend. Which has coincided with Scotland deciding it’s going into winter and skipping Autumn so I was quite happy staying in snuggled under a blanket!

I would say a mile is quite a walk with a crutch - I find even with one i lean into it a bit and I’m not sure how good it means your gait is.

Have a good Sunday and take it easy doon south where I expect you are a good bit warmer than up here!
 
Thanks! I think maybe I should still
Use two crutches for longer walks to get the balance right. Frustrating when nearly 10 weeks out and patience is not my thing! But I want to get this right…

Just gentle walking around the garden today. Sunny but nippy today (another English word for @Layla there!)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom