Guest viewing is limited

THR SurreyGirls's 2nd THR Journey

When I saw the surgeon this week he said all good for swimming, even froggy breatstroke was absolutely fine. He said can rotate out as far as can be tolerated it’s the deep internal rotation that’s to be avoided.
 
Excited about everyone’s swimming! I have placed a grocery order that a friend picked up for me. I am not in a hurry to get into my low car yet even as a passenger. Parking pass is great! I will need one as well- it may be difficult actually getting a spot as they are limited.
 
He said can rotate out as far as can be tolerated it’s the deep internal rotation that’s to be avoided.
That sounds like good advice but did your surgeon say what sort of movements would cause deep internal rotation and so should be avoided ?
 
Yes he did! It’s the motion of lifting heel up behind you whilst turning your knee in - you might make this motion slipping on/off a shoe or pulling up socks. He said this is common for ladies and better to put hip out and leg over lap for shoes and socks more like a man would do!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] SurreyGirls's 2nd THR Journey
    9ACA5300-D222-47B0-84B9-C12D8FFA27FD.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 82
Ah! I did that yesterday as was trying to put socks on for the first time and did exactly that (wrong) movement. Fortunately my hip let me know it didn't like it.. I have a very sore toe on the operated leg atm and have socks that I can put icepacks in.. This is currently causing me more trouble than the hip. The bone is white and seems to protude. I had an issue with it before the op and it is worse now. Guess the increased walking is aggravating it somewhat. I can't win!
 
Thanks for sharing this with us! I was curious as well! I would probably be nervous putting my surgical leg over lap at this point.
@SurreyGirl sorry to hear about your toe issue.
 
Thanks! it is a real downer as affecting the way I walk so does affect my recovery..
 
@Clairebella Thank you for explaining that with the helpful diagram. My surgeon mentioned about being careful not to twist my operated leg when putting my shoe on but your explanation is much easier to understand.

@SurreyGirl Your toe problem sounds uncomfortable, is the bone protruding at the joint or at the tip of the toe ?

Made it to the supermarket today, my first visit to any shop in 7 weeks. I said to my husband that if this rain carries on, he's going to have to take me to a different supermarket every day just so that I can get some walking done as our garden path is very slippery at the moment with lots of wet leaves everywhere.
 
Glad you made it to the shops!

I agree that diagram is very helpful. A lesson to me re putting in socks..

The toe is protruding at the middle joint. It gets painful when I walk.

I was working today and taking short breaks outside during breaks in the weather to walk. I’m
Now considering icing the toe after exercise…

It is a toe that has broken at least 3 times so I suspect arthritis which is just what I don’t need right now. !
 
The toe is protruding at the middle joint. It gets painful when I walk.
It sounds like you have a strong suspicion as to what the problem is, I just wondered if it might have been Hammertoe, which my neighbour had and she had it corrected by an operation. You've been unlucky to break that toe 3 times, the only toe I've ever broken was my big toe caused by me tripping over my too long trousers rushing to get ready for work :sigh:
 
Ouch!

Yes sadly I think it may require an operation but I just can’t face another one and may have to wait some time on the NHS for it… it is very frustrating as the hip recovery is going well . I might see if a practice nurse can tape it to another toe to make walking easier… I’m trying not to get Down about it. I really can’t afford more time off work either!
 
@SurreyGirl I have something similar on my 2nd toe, it’s definitely related to my bunion surgery. I had surgery and then I also had a Morton’s neuroma, my dr was giving me shots and then the last shot he gave me made my toe lift up and start pointing towards my big toe. I was so furious about it. I bought gel toe splints, tried them all, finally found one that is comfortable wearing with shoes and allows me to wear any kind of shoe. I’m just living with it now, I had to have foot surgery twice and I’m not interested in a 3rd. I hate it though. My toe looks like a crypt keeper.
 
Last edited:
Foot / bunion surgery is no fun. I had mine done a while ago (only one foot is affected) - the big toe is now shorter than the others but the bunion has come back. I don't intend to have it operated on again if I can possibly avoid it!
 
I will start investigating the toe gels. I spent today indoors today so physio was stretching and a few small squats and lunges. Hardly any walking and today the toe is fine
 
Thanks you! Definitely seems to be worse with movement ..
 
Some news. I have just become a “Great Aunty” for the first time. My niece Laura has given birth to a gorgeous baby girl.

Laura has been struggling with stomach cancer for years. The birth was hard and there were complications. She got sepsis and the baby had a low heartbeat and infection so a very tense few days. They are now recovering and out of ICU… I hope they will be home very soon.

I finally have my appt with my Consultant tomorrow - delayed due to the Strikes but my problems are tiny compared to what my niece has just been through.

She is one very brave lady. Her husband is lovely too so I am hoping for the best for this new little family.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom