THR Surgery date 6th jan

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Mojo333
thank you so much for your reassurance. It’s a cold blustery day here in Bonny Scotland but you are right. Lying about is not good. I’m just going outside for a walk round my garden With my Hubbie. Ive got to get rid of this fear !
 
Good for you!!!
I've never had my hips replaced before either:heehee: so I had a few panicky moments in my recovery journey also.

All temporary, and it WILL be worth all of this angst.:loveshwr:
 
Yes, you do need to get rid of the fear.. it's not going to help in any way.. Caution is what you need,, that is much healthier.. :egypdance:
I wonder, if when you turned over in bed if your left left crossed over your midline. Or as Jaycey stated, twisted a bit.
You will be fine, you are off to a super start and this is only a little set back. hugs and enjoy blustery Scotland today!

Even with my second ?THR, I had panicked moments.. part of the process I guess. :shrug:
 
@Eman85 yes ....posterior. i Was a day case patient and my surgeon performed what is called the Copenhagen treatment. In hospital for 12 hours. I have restrictions of ...no bending beyond 90 degrees, no crossing of ankles at the knee or ankle, and no twisting operated leg inwards. Sleeping with a pillow between legs was mentioned but I admit I have not been doing this As I’ve Been sleeping on my back with my leg on a pillow As my heel has been painful.
OK, so you do have restrictions on 90 degrees and such, they actually impose those for a good reason. We've all tested them at times but it sounds like you've pushed the testing. The feeling that you got rolling over in bed was a warning which your body will give you. I've gotten that strange feeling when first rolling on my side even with a pillow. It was just an uncomfortable feeling and I didn't push it and rolled back. Impatience is the enemy of the recovery from this surgery. Plans are nice but pushing the envelope with this usually doesn't net improvements, just setbacks. fear might be good, it kept me from breaking restrictions and following my OS orders.
 
Hi Agree,

I tried the same thing last night. I'm so tired of sleeping on my back. I woke in the middle of the night and was having a hard time going back to sleep so I tried laying on my good side. It was an instant mistake. The pain was different than any I've felt so far. I even tried a pillow between my legs but it was a no go. So back to my back I went, eventually falling asleep for a few more hours.

This morning I have a little more pain but it could be from the walk around the cul de sac yesterday. In hindsight it wasn't a good idea but I had to get out of the house and walk around outside while it wasn't raining. Cabin fever is real, lol.
 
You've just been pushing too hard to fast @Argee . At 8 weeks 5000 steps is about my limit before my hip tells me about it the next day and that's just walking, not house work. Unfortunately our hips never tell us were doing too much at the time, it always shows up the next day. I'm sure that's all you experienced when you rolled over, you moved soft tissue that was already angry with you and they told you about it. If you pain has subsided it's not a problem with the joint itself, that pain wouldn't have faded away. Feel confident to resume activities but take a look at the activity progression for THR and try to stay closer to those levels. You actually sound like you are making a fantastic recovery, but no matter what it's going to take time and patience. :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you for the sound advice @FCBayern . I have stepped back a pace or two today. I have been quite emotional all day and doubt and worry has been building up. I keep wondering if I could have just struggled on and not had the op but that would have been really awful. I know it’s going to take time.....goodness three weeks have passed already and it’s nearly the end of January. I really appreciate the comments on this Forum. And all the threads which are so inspiring.
 
Hi there,
I have been through this type of pain that you describe. Just when I thought I was pain-free, a certain twist or lying down on either side, was sometimes painful &difficult and I thought the same way as you do now. So, I just continued to lay on my back - that is my main position, anyway; and rolling onto my side seemed uncomfortable for several months later. Not painful, but just uncomfortable.

It does seem that it takes awhile for the incision area to become less painful, My surgeon (in my 3-month followup) suggested that I gently massage the incision site whenever I could. Until then, I was afraid to do that - but I began to afterward and that seemed to help a little.

The thing is, there might be discomfort in areas that you though were ok, even 6 months later; I think it takes the rest of your body some time to adjust to the new hip. So, try and be patient, and if it's not a comfortable position for you at this time, wait awhile; eventually it will feel OK as mine does now (9 months post-op).

Take care.
 
Thank you for Your advice @Trudijane . it’s good to know that what I experienced on rolling over is not uncommon. And that it gets easier. What I’m learning from this Forum is that everyone recovers at a different pace and at the end of the day it all takes time And patience. I’m in bed now. I have a pillow between my legs and I am not going to try to roll over On to my side. This week I am going to build up walking and delegate housework duties to my lovely bunch of kids again.
 
You're welcome, Argee. I learned the same thing from this group, because I felt I 'should' be feeling better by x amount of time (according to what others had told me). But, everybody is different and rate of healing is different.

So, yes, patience is a good thing to have when dealing with the healing process. After 3 months I was whining that I could not do this/that and worried that the pain would never go away. A turning point for me was at 6 months. I began to do things without much thinking about it; although even now, I prefer not to twist/torque my body too much, ie. when getting in & out of my car. Some movements just have stuck, and that's ok too.
 
I hope you've had a chance to read the short articles that were left for you by CricketHip. You'll notice one that has to do with post-op blues. It's a real issue for most people and you are right at the prime time for it to pop up. It's normal, but you need to recognize that some of the feelings you're having are temporary and related to this "blues period." When you feel yourself sinking into sad or frustrated feelings, that's your signal to get yourself up and do a "happy" thing. It can be as simple as walking a bit outside, calling a friend, watching something lighthearted on the television, or playing with a pet. The idea is to stop those brain waves and replace the bad thoughts with good ones.

Please watch your steps too. At 3 weeks, 5000 steps a day is likely going to be too much for you. Your body is still healing inside and too much activity can slow that process down even if you don't have a lot of pain from the activity. That level of walking for most people would be better at around 6 weeks, providing you build up to it gradually.

You have a strong new hip that is going to be with you for a very long time. Don't be in a hurry. You want to do your recovery right and allow it time to settle in with all your soft tissues. They are still getting to know each other!
 
Thank you @Jamie . I do recognise the post op blues and yes, I have found myself getting teary at the slightest thing . I am blessed with a large family who all live near and who are on hand with support. My house is a busy one.
Finding this forum was a godsend.
 
Three weeks post op....that’s gone in quickly. After the weekend horrible painful experience when rolling over in bed, I have realised that I was doing far too much Too soon......Too many steps, too much housework, and not enough resting. So I have scaled it all back and decided to go a bit slower and take advantage of all help offered. Went out for lunch and had a ten minute walk at the seafront (in a very chilly wind)... it felt great. Still managed 4,000 steps. Walking with one stick and only had 2 x 500mg paracetamol all day. Hip feels a bit stiff tonight.
I would love to get in my car and drive but advice Is not until 6 weeks have passed. I see from some threads that folk have been driving as little as two weeks post op. Does insurance cover this? I’m not so sure it does. I have three more offers of lunch this week......must watch the carbs!!
 
You're doing great, Argee.

That stiffness is normal following a lot of use ... I think the muscles are talking to you - remember, they have been dormant for some time. Ice and elevate and it will waaaay better.

I am told, that even after three weeks, you would be surprised how quickly the bone is adhering to the implanted devices.
 
Good job @Argee I think you will be a lot more comfortable and your long term recovery will be better taking it a little slower. An don't forget ice is still your best friend. :ice:
 
Ahh, another hippie is finding out that patience and progressing slowly is a good thing!
I agree with your thoughts about driving too soon.. besides, the thought of having an accident with that new of a hip makes me shudder.
I hear you about the carbs and meals out with friends. I didn't pay attention to that and am paying for it now. but am back on track, it's just a pain to have to lose it again. the weight, not my hip :rotfl:
 
I have a pillow between my legs and I am not going to try to roll over On to my side. This week I am going to build up walking and delegate housework duties
Sounds perfect! It took a lonnng time for me to feel comfortable lying on either side. Like months. I actually got so used to lying on my back I still do it for part of most nights now, at 8 months! I think I ended up lying on the op side first... Strangely. Pillows on each side of you to bolster and support will be your friend when the time comes. For now, go back to back sleeping (maybe with a very flat pillow under your knees) and sweet dreams. No harm done, just tender tissues and you probably twisted a bit. Let your soft tissues heal at least 6 weeks before you start rolling about. It will ease, trust us. Ice and paracetamol will be your friend for a few more weeks. :flwrysmile:
 
Wow...from feeling pretty good yesterday, I find myself with the blues big time this morning. Woke up after not too bad sleep and was stiff and sore. reached For paracetamol immediately. (yesterday I only took 1000mg all day)
all I can think about is that I’ve gone backwards . There’s pain in the side of my hip on lifting my knee and it wasn’t like that a week ago. When I do leg slides it hurts there too. Although it’s not as bad as pre op...it’s in the same place.
What’s happening to me......I feel so sorry for myself.....it’s the post op blues and it’s horrible
 
Yup. Post op blues rearing their ugly head! We've all been there. They will pass I promise. You're not that far out, I think it might be worthwhile to reset your expectations to help you avoid sliding into the worry pit...hard to get out once you're in there. My humble advice for you for the next 24 hours:
1. Take your max dose of paracetamol on a timed basis. Add something stronger if you still have some prescribed.
2. STOP the leg slides and anything else you might be doing to 'test'the hip. Only exercise is walking to toilet or to get food.
3. Ice ice ice. Elevate your leg.
4. Call doc and make an appointment, hopefully an x-ray to start, to discuss new pain
5.Do something you like such as a good movie on TV or knitting or colouring books or sudoku or reading or whatever might take your mind off the hip for awhile.
6. REST and let your body heal.
Sending healing hugs up to cold Scotland for you. :console2:
 
Thanks @Calgal , it is very cold on the Fife coastline this morning ❄️❄️
the blues are probably making me feel worse than I really am. I'm desperate to be better And any change in pain level makes me think that I’m not progressing as fast as others. my Surgeon said to call the hospital if I had any concerns and they would track him down But I don’t want to bother him with my tearful rambling. I’ll do as you advise and take the painkiller. I’ve been taking hardly any the last few days.
my youngest daughter missed the school bus this morning and while it was no big deal as my husband took her (he works from home ) I was in floods because I couldn’t drive her to school.
However. it’s my eldest daughters birthday today so I’m going to do my best to be happy mum and join her for lunch.
i Just need to be me again.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom