THR Surgery date 6th jan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting about the breaststroke. For a year after the op any attempt at this Stroke give me groin pain so I did the stroke with my arms and flutter kicked with legs. My OS advised against it too.
 
Good update! Sorry about no bath at this time but it will be allowed eventually. At least if you go to a pool you can float around and enjoy that. Slow and easy will get you there.
 
Interesting about the breaststroke. For a year after the op any attempt at this Stroke give me groin pain so I did the stroke with my arms and flutter kicked with legs. My OS advised against it too.

@SurreyGirl that’s what I did before I had the surgery. So it’s easy to keep that style up.
 
It is lovely to be able to do a front crawl and use my legs! Something before the op I had problems with. I’m back to scuba now and using fins but it took time to get there!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Good to read your six week post op went well. I hope you’ve enjoyed the past few weeks since we last heard from you.
Have a wonderful weekend! :)
@Argee
 
@Layla thank you for your kind post. Almost nine weeks since surgery.....can’t quite believe it! When people ask how I’m feeling my reply is. “ I feel normal”. That’s it.....normal. I am delighted to be able to feel this way and so glad that I had the operation which allowed me to get my mobility back. I am walking on air :loveshwr:
 
You’re welcome!

NORMAL...such a lovely word! Especially following pain, loss of flexibility and mobility.
May your “normal” only get better and better.
Wishing you a great Spring 2020! :SUNsmile:
@Argee
 
10 weeks post op!
I have waited mostly patiently but finally took a bath :loveshwr:
how fabulous it was to lie in the warm , gorgeous scented water
I opened a new bottle of Jo Malone body wash....bliss

no problems getting in, lying down or getting out. Just concentrated on moving correctly and slowly. Hip felt fine. Happy days
 
It's the little things, right?:tada:
Hope the rest of your week is sweet @Argee
:bath:
 
Hello and Happy Monday :wave: Happy Three Month Anniversary too!
I hope all is well with you. Leave an update if interested. We’d love to hear how you’re doing.
Be safe, stay well and enjoy the week!
@Argee
 
Hi. It’s been over seven months and I’m still very glad to have had the op at the beginning of the year. I feel sad for folks who had their operations cancelled at the last minute.
All was going very very well for me until about 5 weeks ago. I had been walking up to 5 miles at a time, 3 times a week, gardening and generally living life with zero pain. But....don’t know what happened . A very very small niggle started to appear. Not every day and didn’t stop me from doing what I was enjoying doing, but it has grown into a definite pain. Every day. The pain is towards the back of my thigh just under my buttock. I described it as being a pinched feeling at first but now I just feel it there all the time. It’s not agony and I can still walk but sometimes I can bend over and when I stand up there’s a sharp pain. I had an X-ray and the surgeon said there was nothing wrong with the joint. I have been to physio and I really think he was not too sure, but he gave me some exercises. Squats with a gym ball In my back against the wall, clam exercises and raising leg to the back. It feels worse! Gets better with ibuprofen....but I really had enjoyed not having to take painkiller. Feeling a bit down about this. Anyone had similar?
I hope everyone is staying well and coping with the lockdown restrictions.
 
Hello Argee,
Its nice to hear from you and read how well you’ve been doing....until you weren’t.
I’m sorry you’re dealing with a set-back. Wondering if the Physio mentioned Piriformis Syndrome? Following is an explanation for you to read through and see if it describes the pain you’ve experienced -

I think you should stop the squats and the clamshells. Especially because you mentioned you feel worse! Pain is your body asking for change. Try icing several times per day for no less than 45-60 minutes each time you ice and use OTC pain relievers, as needed, until it resolves. See if the Piriformis Syndrome article applies and if so you could try some of the gentle stretches reflected there. I hope you find relief soon. Please stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing.
@Argee
 
Squats with a gym ball In my back against the wall, clam exercises
New hips hate these 2 exercises. They really don't benefit a hip - more for core stability.

Does your PT do deep massage? I had this pain post LTHR and had several sessions of deep massage that really helped.
 
Thanks for your replies and suggestions. I’m going to stop the exercises for now and suggest a deep massage to the PT. really hopeful that this pain gets better. I forgot to say that during full lockdown I gained 10 pounds. Maybe my new hip doesn’t like this . I’m trying my best to lose this again but it’s really hard. Gyms and swimming pools are allowed to open in Scotland from 31st August and Only by appointment so I can plan out proper sessions and get into a routine soon. Stay safe everyone
 
I forgot to say that during full lockdown I gained 10 pounds. Maybe my new hip doesn’t like this .
I've gained weight during lockdown as well. We just aren't moving around as much as usual. Remember that walking is the best exercise for a new hip. You can even use hiking poles to help you maintain a good gait.
 
Well here we are 5years since I was last on this website after left hip replacement. And I’m 3 weeks post surgery for right hip replacement. I came back on to read my messages from 5 years ago and remind myself on the progress I made then and to compare that to now. I think I’m about the same pace of recovery but I’m so impatient. Some days I feel like I’m totally fixed and others like today I feel pain again and think I’ve gone backwards. I can’t walk without using a stick and I really thought that at this stage in my previous recovery i walking without aids…but i wasn’t.
My surgery was on 8th September. I think I’ve been trying to walk too much in the Hope that I would recover sooner but once again …like 5 years ago….i think I should go slower.
Going back to basic exercises tomorrow
 
Welcome back to BoneSmart, @Argee. Glad to read that your surgery went well.

Since you were last on the forum, we've implemented a two-tier membership program to help us support the important work BoneSmart does. You are currently a Basic Member, which means you may search the forum and read others' thread. Since this is a separate surgery from you 2020 THR, you will no longer able to post in this thread.

If you would like the full BoneSmart experience -- including starting a new Recovery thread to share your journey from your latest surgery, you will need to join the Insiders Club. As an Insider, you will be eligible to start new threads and receive personalized advice from staff to quickly answer any questions or concerns you may have, and have access to information not on the public forum.

Our non-profit organization needs the support of the small subscription fees to keep BoneSmart available.

Best Wishes, and we hope to see you join the Insiders Club.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom