THR Surgery date 6th jan

Argee

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
walking great with no pain but just wondering if anyone has done Any wrong movements and what type of pain, if any, they felt. I just tried to roll over on to my side whilst lying in bed and suddenly felt awful pain which made me freeze and frightened to move. I very slowly moved back to lying on my back and it went away. It was really scary

:welome: To BoneSmart @Argee ! Glad to have you here, a place that's safe and with tons of information..
First of all, I would like to leave you some recovery guidelines.. you may be over doing things a bit with your recovery and the guidelines will help you decide if this is the case:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT

a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

The link for activity progression should be especially helpful for you.
Now, for your question, several of us have made a quick move or a twisting move ( accidentally) and experienced the pain and terror you felt. Myself included. Mine too, left me wondering what the heck happened and the pain and soreness set me back a good 2 weeks.
The best that I could do was keep icing the area, take my pain meds and rest and try not to worry.

If this helps any, if it were a dislocation, it wouldn't have eased up and from what I've heard on the forum here, it is a pain that is excruciating.

Take care and continue to read around on the forum and check the links left for you,, it will be very helpful for you. We are here for any other questions. :console2:

Sorry you had such a scare.

Thank you for your advice.
I think I may have been doing things too quickly and without thinking , such as bending and twisting and sitting on seats that are too low. Just because I can doesn’t mean I should ... right? i Am going to return to taking things slowly.

First off, do you have any restrictions? Your leg was dislocated and all of the muscles stretched. They are injured and when you move them they don't like it. As far as movements you shouldn't be doing one of the big things is dislocation which is very bad.

Hi @Eman85 . Yes restrictions on bending, twisting etc. i Am only three weeks into recovery but feeling so good it’s easy to forget that these restrictions still apply. I am very fearful of dislocation. I got a terrible fright when I tried to roll over in bed so I am definitely going to be more careful in what movements I will do.

You are still very early days @Argee definitely pay attention to the activity guidelines. At week 3 I too began to feel really good which makes it easy to join the ODIC (over did it club) which you can cause you pain for days. :bignono: As they say here you need to exercise your patience muscle, the toughest for all of us to use.

@FCBayern , I am now terrified. I can’t get that scary moment out of my head. Over the last few days I was ecstatic at being pain free and getting back to doing light chores around the house. Only bending as far as i was able but being careful. I’ve been able to get in and out of cars as a passenger and out for lunch etc with no problems . I attended my youngest daughters school review and was able to sit down with various teachers. The seats were a tad low but I took it easy. But this one time of trying to roll on to my side in bed......and I thought I was doing it the correct way........has left me traumatised by the pain and the feeling that something in my hip was going to break. Right now I have no pain but I’m very scared. I don’t see the surgeon for another 3 weeks. i Have had no contact with PT since leaving hospital. Should I phone her?
I had LTHR called the Copenhagen treatment. In hospital for total of 12 hours and Then home with a list of exercises and do’s and dont’s. But with no contact from PT. I don’t know if I’m doing too much or too little. I’m so frightened to move now

@Argee You just rolled over on some very angry soft tissues. Please don't worry about dislocation. It is very rare and if you are following your restrictions you will be fine.
I don’t know if I’m doing too much or too little.
Read this article again Activity progression for THRs . You are only days out of major surgery. Most of your focus should be on rest, ice and elevation. Short walks around the house or outside with a walking aid. Slow and steady is the best approach to this recovery.

Hi @Argee
I'm glad you don't have any residual pain from your uncomfortable movement.
Please try not to worry and I think its good you decided to scale back some activities and be mindful about twisting.
There will be these "is this normal?" hiccups that pop up...certainly did for me.
Thankfully, the forum was a great recovery resource for me to get some reassurance and advice.
Hope your Sunday is sweet.

@Jaycey ...many thanks. I think I have been overdoing it a lot . In the advice given to patients in UK there’s no mention of Ice.
I tried to roll on to my good side........would that have still aggravated soft tissue? Now that I’m up and walking about I can feel just a very small amount of discomfort. I’m definitely going to take things a bit slower. Just so Pleased with the progress that I thought I was Wonder Woman

Hi @Mojo333 . I’m so glad I found this forum.....in the middle of the night whilst in terror! Your advice is reassuring. I’ve read so many success stories And I want to be one too.

You're going to be great...:flwrysmile:these are just early days and things were stretched and traumatized so they just need the greatest healer...time.
Highly recommend ice...great antiinflammatory.:ice:

Hi @Argee it sounds like you’re doing great, :flwrysmile: you sound so mobile and positive, it’s quite easy to slip into the overdid it club (ODIC) , and that can make you feel a bit more sore for a day or two,I agree that that ice packs are fantastic for reducing inflammation and pain if used in the way described in the bonesmart guidelines It can be tender to lie on that side and different surgeons have different ideas about when you can do so, that feeling of worry and terror that you’ve done something wrong is very real isn’t it ? Keep coming back onto this forum and you will get lots of support and amazing information -I couldn’t have done without it and have met some wonderful people who helped me through this recovery
I found sitting in low chairs exacerbated discomfort( I’m fairly tall) and I still have trouble when I’m out and about, I do have a cushion I bought off Amazon for when I have to stay in a place for a long time,
I wasn’t referred to a physiotherapist and haven’t had any formal physiotherapy since the surgery, if you have any concerns and need a chat though, I would advise you try and contact the consultant secretary, or the ward, to see if you need any follow-up sooner, (your GP should also be able to help and advise .)I wish you well take care.:flwrysmile:

I tried to roll on to my good side........would that have still aggravated soft tissue?
Sounds like you may have twisted slightly when you rolled. That would definitely aggravate. New hips hate any kind of twisting.

Hello argee,

Others from the UK have noted they were not told to ice - interesting difference between standard protocols.

My experience, from two THRs, is that there are some things that worked well for me for broad recovery;
- get off narcotics as soon as reasonable
- elevate the op hip a bit with foot above heart (pillows under knee, roll slightly up on op hip)
- silicon ice pack with only a thin cloth layer (clothing) on the hip (45-60 minutes several times a day)
- walk between icings and bathroom breaks ... in my case, initially I would walk inside for as long as I felt comfortable (walker, and alternating walker and crutches, then single crutch - “round and round”) - start 3 minutes of walking and build up to 15 minutes. Start moving outside for longer distances as it feels comfortable to do so.

Based on my experiences, PT, at this point = walking. Sure, foot slides, slow stretches, etc are fine. The hip will heal best, in normal recoveries, by simply walking. Return to the gym can follow after a few months.

I felt comfortable putting a pillow between my knees to sleep - I think it might also serve as a reminder to maintajn alignment.

Your recovery sounds normal!

Here‘s my thread with various lessons learned along the way.

Let's try the restriction deal again. Is your surgery posterior? Did they tell you not to bend past 90 degrees at the waist? Did they show you to sleep with a pillow between your legs? It sounds like you know that low seating isn't good. It sounds like you are tempting the gods of complications.

Thank you @ForumUser . I read your thread and was uplifted by the speed of your recovery. i Have a few trips planned for this year starting on 2 April to Lanzarote with my youngest daughter (14) for a school holiday break. We will be doing as much walking as we can. But after last nights episode of pain when I rolled over in bed I am definitely freaking out about dislocation. I can’t get it out of my mind and have lost my confidence. I was doing just fine until that happened. Now I’m in bed feeling sorry for myself. I’ve only done 319 steps today , up until now I averaged 5,500. I’m not in pain, just scared

Please don't let this cause you to lose confidence in your new hip...lying about isnt good either.
I'm sorry it frightened you but that hip is stable, it's the traumatized tendons and muscles you have to be gentle with.
Just stay mindful of twisting movements and be Happy that horrid hip pain is gone.:yes!:
These recovery niggles are to be expected.
Sending good mojo for a happy Sunday and peace of mind.:loveshwr:

@Eman85 yes ....posterior. i Was a day case patient and my surgeon performed what is called the Copenhagen treatment. In hospital for 12 hours. I have restrictions of ...no bending beyond 90 degrees, no crossing of ankles at the knee or ankle, and no twisting operated leg inwards. Sleeping with a pillow between legs was mentioned but I admit I have not been doing this As I’ve Been sleeping on my back with my leg on a pillow As my heel has been painful.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom