THR Sunbunny's Rainbow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @sunbunny - getting more normal every day! Walmart would freak me on my most energetic and healthiest days, so not surprising all of you were knackered. Dinner didn't sound too good, well, I could have managed it, if you had added some hummus and reeses cakes...

The tale of sunbunny, granny di, webbie, and greatauntjanet and their trip to the woods, where they found their way back from the witches house/hospital by the trail of steristrips...
 
@Great Aunt Janet you totally crack me up. I had a rough night so the steri strips are all gone now! Nothing else to do but pick the little suckers off lol. Hoping that I recover my trail. The witch at the Gingerbread house just about got us. How are you doing by the way? Hugs
 
@Great Aunt Janet I love reading your posts and the grand times you have. Had another first yesterday, actually two. PT was coming in an hour and I had not made the motion to get up, shower, and do all the stuff to start the day. And I still require hubby support to shower etc. He was off doing hubby things and time was a ticking so I decided to brave the new world and shudder....shower myself.. So I got all my clothes and stuff lined up in the bathroom... And I did so well all by my little self, standing there all drippy wet. Yep, you guessed it forgot the towels. Then looking up I spotted hanging up over the toilet the pretty towels, the towels that you should never use or a great penalty will be placed upon you. I took my drippy self over and pulled the lovelies down. Just about the same time as hubby came and asked me if I was ready to start the shower process. Bless is heart. Now that I have that milestone done hubby will no longer be needed for the process. Yeah small steps. Another first has to do with my recumbent bike. OS gave the go ahead for PT to start me on the bike. The last time I tried using it prior to THR I could not even move the pedals. Well surprise got on it, moved the pedals a little but no full rotation. Full rotation would break 90 degree restriction. We moved the seat back and sat on pillows but no go. So other than rocking the pedals back and forth can't do much on the bike. :bawl: Next journey is getting ready for visitors and trying to do housework. Just changing the trash bag out of the bathroom trash can took forever. But me and my buddy the grabber finally did it at the speed of a snail walking backing words. Small steps......that's all folks as bugs bunny would say. Cheers
 
Spot on sunnbunny small steps don't go overdoing it on that bike. There are a few of us who do walking in the pool which i feel helps me, not for everyone though worth a try. You are only just over four weeks in so think about what your doing before you actually do it [is it safe] better to be safe than sorry.

Billy
 
You're in the shower! Towels or no towels that's progress. It is so frustrating not being independent and busy when we are so used to it. It's not about the bike - as Lance said - keep taking those drugs and you'll be peddling up a storm. I still haven't got going on my mtn bike. :unsure: Maybe today.
Have a good day!
 
@sunbunny, do you have a shower chair? It is one of my favorite aids. I have a transfer chair...half in the tub and part out of the tub. It allows me to be independent with my showers. LOL I was able to shave my legs this week!! I don't have the 80 degree restriction so I was able to lean forward just alittle. It was easier than I though.

You can also use the comode type toilet raiser in the shower. I would hate to see you slip!!!
 
@webbie73 yes I have a shower chair with handles..sweet ride...lol..house looks like a rehab center. I also have a Giraffe bath and body shave wand from Amazon. So I can shave my own legs. Great device someone suggested it on this forum. Off to do more housework for our visitors. Lol. Takes me forever. Hugs
 
@Granny Di and @forbesy thank you for the encouragement. I have to remember baby steps as the consequences are severe. I am ok for the most part but when I get mad I am a force to behold. Lol. I am so looking forward to the pool. I have one scab hanging on for dear life and I would love to end it's miserable existence but know this would prolong the healing. I go back to my PA in two weeks so maybe I will be cleared then. Does anybody else have a hard knot at the bottom of their incision? Could this be scar tissue? I tried light massage but that caused it to be painful. No redness or heat so I will leave it alone. Thank you for checking in on me. It is wonderful talking to supportive friends.hugs
 
Hi @sunbunny - who-bathes-alone! I'd say that was a huge step (even though you may be missing the company :wink:), to be able to do that on your own, it is so great when you get independence and normality back a bit at a time.

I have had knotty bits under and around my incision - I had underneath stitches, and just glue and steristrips on top - they seem to move about, and I am just letting the process sort itself, a la Bonesmart go-with-flow about other stuff - it has worked so far. I can sleep on my incision now, no problems and it only occasionally smarts during the day for no apparent reason, so I ignore it. I HAVE to get that shaving thing - although great aunts and sunbunnies can be furry of course. :)

Off to work - my first weekend on - full days!! Lots of visitors to yarn to and icecreams to scoop.
 
@Great Aunt Janet furry friend. Yes the shaver is great. Now how do I ever cut the toes? Housework done or all that I care to do. Exhausted and hip is pouting a bit. Company should be here soon. Thanks for the information on the knot. I do want to complain about the pillow between my legs at night. I am so tired of it but don't want to chance dislocation. Between my CPAP, pillow, and sleeping on my back I am averaging four hours sleep and maybe two hours dozing a night. Sunbunny is turning into grumpy bunny. Hanging in there! Hugs
 
@sunbunny i know how you feel sleeping on your back with a cpap. Not the best position. I normally sleep on my sides and hug my hose so no leaks. Sleeping on my back I don't hug the hose and I find it tugs causing a leak. The past few nights I have managed to fall asleep on my I operated side with a pillow between my legs but wake up a few hours later to change my position and remove that darn pillow! I look forward to the night when I sleep straight through!!
 
Morning @webbie73 & @sunbunny! The pillow thing did faze me quite a bit too, I just seemed to get very tangled up with so many things in the bed! When I had improved enough to feel lonely and invited my man to return to the marital queensized, :cool: I had to reduce the pillow quota, just to fit him in. Felt great! Then I quickly went down to just two, and now (coming up for 7 weeks), the second pillow mostly stays by the side of the bed all night and it is bliss. So I am ahead of you two time-wise, but can confirm that the pillow annoyance will be gone for you soon too!

Coping with hoses as well - hmmm, such busy night lives!
 
Update on stubborn scab. Turns out it was a staple. One side had kinda worked it's way out and then what to do but pulled it out. Ouch! No bleeding and I have used some alcohol wipes to keep it extra clean. How did they miss that? I probably would have the nurse pull it out but it is a holiday weekend and a staple half in would have caused more irritation. It is not red so I don't think I need to worry about infection. Will keep an eye on it. Hugs and good thoughts to everyone.
 
That is crazy. You would think it would be documented how many staples were used. Then count them as they remove them! Glad you took care of it .
 
I'm headed into my 5th week and I think only one steri strip has come completely off. But everything appears to be okay. Did the doctors remove the last steri strips for you? I have an appointment in 3 days…
I've bee reading your thread and enjoying the discussions about all the things that have me flummoxed; showering, shaving, side sleeping, stitches, etc. You know, all the 's' words. :heehee:
I've been bothered with vertigo these last 3 mornings and decided it is from the very high tree pollen count with very windy days. I'd been sitting out on the deck out of the breeze and enjoying the sun. It goes away once I start moving around and take it slowly. Phew!
 
@wcgirl, most of the time the steri strips fall off by themselves. When you shower do you let them get wet? My steri strips were all gone by the end of 3 weeks. Incision is looking good but I am dying to put some moisturizer on it! I was told not until all the scabs were gone.
 
@wcgirl i am so sorry about the vertigo. I have had it before and Bonine helped me. Yes you do have to take it slow and no fast movements. PT said I could gently start working the strips off. I think I was at four weeks. I finally just pulled them off one night. Yeah the "s" words are something else. Colace tabs are the best for one of the s words in particular. Nothing else worked for me. Recovery is such a slow process but I didn't get a bad hip overnight either. Finally confident with showering by myself as long as I remember everything. Personally the restrictions are a bummer. Sleeping with the pillow and the 90 degree thing, Crying jags aren't quite as bad. Lol. Only had one yesterday. Another problem soon coming up is a hair thing. My hair salon has shampoo chairs that I will never be able to use. Really low to the ground. So I am thinking I will come with my hair wet...she can cut it and then put the hair dye on. I will come home to rinse the dye out. Yes, I do not like gray hair. Yikes! Today I am going to pretend I am at the beach with breezes, white caps, ocean air, sea gulls, and little children chasing waves. Awwwwwwwww.
 
@sunbunny Have you tried coloring your hair yourself? I don't like grey either but I can't afford to go to a salon except for an occasional hair cut. Do you have "Nice and Easy" hair dye in your stores. Wal-Mart is where I get mine. It is the best dye I've used for covering grey. Very easy to use.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom