THR Sunbunny's Rainbow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Granny Di yes, I have been bummed all afternoon about that restriction. Saw my X-ray and saw the screws too. He said it was nasty. So I am glad I had it done, no choice really. I don't do well with additional limitations but I will just have to take it a day at a time. Chin up. No restriction on side sleeping, just have to use a pillow. But I will always worry about the 90 degrees.
 
I was just thinking "that's a good idea - I think I will get one" and then remembered I can now manage without. It's amazing how we do really move forward!
 
Rotten deal re the lifetime restrictions, @sunbunny, although I'm sure you will workaround really well - had the OS warned you of that possibility beforehand or is this an out of the blue? The giraffe solves one problem at least, great idea!
 
@Great Aunt Janet no I do not recall a permanent restriction but since my quality of life was severely limited, there was not much choice. Who else had a posterior approach and has a permanent 90 degree restriction? Thank you for your encouragement. The X-ray tech said I was doing really well. Some people at this point have very little mobility. I am wiped out from all the walking. Just having a pity meltdown.....
 
@Great Aunt Janet no I do not recall a permanent restriction but since my quality of life was severely limited, there was not much choice. Who else had a posterior approach and has a permanent 90 degree restriction? Thank you for your encouragement. The X-ray tech said I was doing really well. Some people at this point have very little mobility. I am wiped out from all the walking. Just having a pity meltdown.....

So sorry I missed in your post, when you mentioned re: 90 degree wasn't you feeling like it was a restriction for life... I am sorry you are having to make adjustments to your lifestyle... :console2:

(((hugs))) Sunbunny, know it seems alot to have to swallow right now, but it is amazing how adaptive we have to be with permanent loss and how the priorities shift into where the blessings truly can outweigh the adapting loss.
(my lumbar spine restrictions from a collision no more bending over...not able to pick-up things off the floor, grabbers are still in my house)
May showers of blessings be on every pathway :loveshwr: as you so deserve :SUNsmile:
 
Hi @sunbunny sounds like you're ticking along nicely... no doubt it doesn't feel like that from 'Your" side, but it looks good from here :)

Try not to stress too much about the "lifetime" restrictions... these things often change. The first OS I saw said I would have "lifetime restrictions", the OS that did the op had me observe precautions for 12 weeks, and considered that if I had to make major modifications to my lifestyle to accomodate the hip he hadn't done his job, which was to accord me as normal a life as possible! I will be "aware" until the two year mark when the risk of dislocation reverts to the same as that of a native hip.... low. Many implants have screws in, they basically hold the prosthesis in place until the bone and soft tissue develops to hold it there as "normal" so these things are getting stronger all the time

Re the step into your bed; I had to get a step to get into our SUV... the step hubby saw in a medical supplies store cost nearly twice what we paid.... for an aerobic step he bought in a sports supply store (one of the chainstore types) so have a look there. I used it in my rehab too... stepping up and down helped strenghten my glutes (I had Posterior Approach, a technically challenging op - lots of damage in the acetabulum... to me it was still "just" a THR; I went to sleep, woke up with a new hip - the difficulty of the surgery may have been an issue for my surgeon but not for me,:heehee:)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you @craftdee and @Joydancer . Spent last night in my bed and not the hospital bed. Some ways more comfortable, some ways not. Anyways it is progress. Hope you all have a wnderful Mother's Day Weekend. I feel like a have developed routines for everything. I guess soon it will be second nature. I still have to say up with the good down with the bad. Counting rainbows and sending wishes out for our new and new to be May hippees. Especially for sunshine to fall on the caregivers and smiles all around. No I have not been drinking special juice. Although......it is 5:00 somewhere. Cheers
 
Did he give any reasons why you have to be on 90 degree restriction for life? I had a posterior THR and at my 3 week appointment they said to stay on the restrictions just to be safe but that there should be no problem at all coming off them at my next appointment. I don't have screws in my cup so I don't know if that is the difference, but I'm sure other people here have had screws used and didn't have restrictions for life.

Maybe at your appointment with your OS you can get some clarification. From what I understand as long as your muscles recover normally restrictions can be lifted since they are what hold your hip in the socket. If nothing else it might be worth seeking a 2nd and maybe 3rd opinion after you're fully mobile again.
 
Thank you @torment it was the PA so maybe the OS can clarify. I was too shocked to ask and I think he even said why but again shock. Hmmmm.i think I should buy stock in grabbers. Needed one for my hairdryer but alas it was quite a ways off. I guess it is time to install some hooks for hanging up things for easy reach. I do not like to be dependent on others for basic needs. I am going to kill auto correct lol. Ever time I type to they insert yo. I am not a hip hop type of dudette. I do recall something about the cup and its potential for an easy pop out. Yikes. Time for PT.
 
The 90 degree restriction is for me for life.

Who else had a posterior approach and has a permanent 90 degree restriction?

Sorry you had this scare from the surgeon's PA. This is not the norm for any approach and it is something you need to address with your surgeon. I think you'll find you'll not have this restriction for life. It's pretty much unheard of. If the surgeon happens to agree with this, ask why the restriction because as Craftdee says, once the muscles have strengthened the risk of dislocation reduces and people can move normally.
 
Thank you @Jamie. That gives me some hope. It is sad how a few discouraging comments can cause us to rethink and worry constantly. I need to remember not to worry about tomorrow.
 
We see this happening now and then with our members and PA's and I'm not sure why it occurs. One can assume they are inexperienced but this kind of statement has to come from somewhere and I can never fathom from where! It's just not common practice and hasn't been for a very long time. Go figure. Glad you can put it out of your mind until you see your surgeon.
 
sunbunny, try not to stress too much. Sometimes the PAs don't have the story right. If I had listened to the PA I would be sitting here struggling to lose 10 pounds so I could have my hip replaced I stead of recovering from my THR. Like others have said this is something to talk to you OS about.
 
@sunbunny I have just caught up on your recovery and am very dismayed by what your PA said. I've done a little bit of research on the web and the only "permanent" restriction I could find (only one site that I read said this) is to carry a med alert card indicating that we've had a hip replaced (the site said taking an antibiotic before certain dental work and other surgeries was "permanent"). I then came across an old bonesmart thread and thought you might enjoy what Josephine had to say about the "permanent 90 degree rule". Of course, talk to your surgeon just in case there is more to the story, but I found this post quite similar to yours. Other than that, I'm so happy to see you coming along so nicely! You are in my prayers as always!!!! Here's the link....

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/can-i-ever-wear-lace-up-shoes-again.9394/
 
Thank you @Cynthia777 for researching and sending me the link. It is hard to wrap your head around this especially when it makes you think you are going to dislocate constantly. Just having a bad moment but I am sure this will pass. The hardest part of all this is establishing the new normal. And of course you want to get back to doing things. Went out yesterday with hubby for a drive with hopes to go to a nursery and pick out some flowers to plant. Traffic was horrible and strength and endurance were wearing down. Ended up sitting in the car at Lowes and picking out something from the car window. Was happy to get out and see sunshine and blue skies. Upset that I gave out before even getting started. Baby steps and too high of expectations. Have to keep reminding myself that every recovery is different. I never thought I would be sleeping in my own bed again and just completed my third night. Hugs, thoughts and prayers to you too.
 
For the first month for me I had to "go with the flow" which included sleeping a lot, some tears as well as enormous positive developments. Hence this was my roller coaster time It is hard but so rewarding as new skills are mastered or rather re learnt. You will get there but maybe not as quickly as expected.

Good luck x
 
@sunbunny I did a bit more research on Facebook (I belong to 2 groups for hip replacements and I asked if others were told it was permanent. Here are a few replies, which pretty much confirms you need to get the exact details of WHY your restriction isn't temporary. This way, if you know the EXACT details, there may be something done about it or studies refuting the necessity of not breaking the 90 degree rule. Here is a sampling of some of the Faceboik replies I received.....
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Sunbunny's Rainbow
    image.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 193
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom