THR Sunbunny's Rainbow

Status
Not open for further replies.
@donor quite a hubby you have! You really have to laugh at our predicament with our toes. Anything below my knee is far game!
 
Hahaha@donor and @sunbunny!
I bought my own tools and take them when I have a pedi or a mani! That makes me feel better about not getting infection! My hubby tried to cut the toes but I was too nervous so we aborted the project! Now he HAS gotten good with shaving my legs~ I found a great razor called Intuit or close to that and it has built in shaving lotion so all you need is a wet washcloth to get it started! My daughter whose a nurse told me about it. Summer legs~ now I'm contemplating and zipper pull tattoo at the top of my scar~ naaah maybe not~~ :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just read through your thread and I love your attitude!! A sense of humor rings through every post, something I find lacking for me at the moment. I laughed out loud at some of your posts and it made me feel better. I too am a retired educator with a type triple A personality and I am beyond frustrated with this flipping hip replacement recovery and it has only been 4 weeks!!! Overdid it yesterday and paying dearly for it today.
 
@Molly12 totally understand how you feel. Thank you for the compliment and most of the time I try to find some humor in our new circumstances. Nine weeks out and woke up more like myself. But having said that had a rather yucky end of the day. I had my first outside PT evaluation today and she put me through a bunch of new exercises to strengthen muscles whose names I will never recall. Apparently just remembering how to do the exercise along with the cheat sheet was enough for me to handle. She did strength testing in various locations and I was amazed at how much more work I will have to do. She measured my pelvis and said I was even. The limping I experience when not using an assistive device (cane, walker) is due to compensating for muscle weakness not a leg length differential. Limping and compensating are bad habits. I am really sore tonight bringing on yes, a big crying jag, a bag of Cheetos disappearing, causing a pounding headache and a general feeling of when will this end. A big pity party. On the good side I have returned to my swim class, only doing about ten percent of what I use to do. But it felt wonderful to see my fellow water babes. Hmmmm will try driving later on this week because apparently my outside PT appointments will interfere with my hubbies golf games. And honestly I want some freedom back. Hubby has been wonderful....bless his heart. By the way the Cheetos were for my four year old grandson who we have been watching this week while his daycare is in hiatus. Played volcano and hot lava using a blanket for a rope for about an hour. So much fun but whew...pooped. I guess this has turned into an update epic saga. Lol. Hugs, good thoughts, caring hands, and smiles!
 
@Sullivand I will invest in some new tools and visit the nail salon soon. I have to laugh at the shaving thing. I thought I was doing a great job with my handy giraffe bath and body shaver extender until I looked down at my legs getting out of the car in the bright sunshine. Braiding could have been accomplished in certain areas. Yikes!
 
I'm a month late, but thank all of you for brightening my day.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@sunbunny
Cheetos! Yum. I know those crying jags girlfriend ~ and it is the PT's fault not yours! I am so sorry you were down. I am so thankful to have this forum because no one gets it do they!?
So tonight I have my book group ~ it's mostly about the wine and food but it's really a great group and they have all been there for me during my long journey ~ anyway I digress~ I decided I want to wear shorts so when I got my pedi I noticed they waxed~ I admit I was naive as I just use a razor...... So I asked for a wax from the knees down~ so not a happy thing to do. I don't recommend it~ ape legs are better. I used my steri wash from the hospital once I got home so I should ok~ not a good impulse! I need those Cheetos now and plan to wear pants forever!!
 
I couldn't wait to use a real razor on my legs. My dear husband had been using the electric razor and then I attempted the electric and did just an ok job. I still have the shower chair in the bathtub and as I was sitting there it dawned on me that I could shave!!! I just put my toes up on the little ridge that goes around the tub. I still have trouble doing the outside of the new hip leg. I am going to PT and wearing casual capris and just the thought of the cute young man getting "beard burn" on his hands when he touches my leg was just too much embarrassment for me. Is it just me or do others think the PT's look awfully YOUNG? :heehee:
 
@webbie73 lol PT burn indeed they should burn instead of us. Luckily my male PT got sick and I was evaluated by a very nice girl. Gosh I sound old calling her a girl. Anyways she was very knowledgeable about my hip and back issues. So unless her asst. is a bear I should be ok. Minor issues but they seem major in the time they take. I have dropped just about everything today. Ugggggggg.
 
My PT is really nice but when I had a spasm in the butt I just couldn't let him massage it out. I no longer have any modesty left but having my butt rubbed by a young "kid" was not happening!
 
Sunbunny so happy you seem to be doing so well!! I haven't been on here in a while....1st hip March 2nd and now my second June 15 th!! I can't wait to be where you are!! Dreading sleepless nights... Anxious to see my DR on Friday, curious about the 90 restriction??? Also have a pool in backyard can you give me ideas of what your swim class does??
Happy your doing, what sounds great to me!!! Hugs!!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @sunbunny , Just wanted to check in and see how things are going. You're an April Rainbow fellow like me. I enjoyed your reports on driving and swimming you posted on Great Aunt Janet's recovery thread. Driving is of course vital in your country, while in Germany, for some of us it's possible to cycle, walk or take public transport to get to work, to the shops etc, but most of us have to drive.
What kind of swimming do you do at your swimming class. One reads that breast stroke is not recommended. while a surgeon who I saw but decide against him said this was nonsense. On the other hand, a physiotherapist I saw said he advises against breast stroke. However, I can do a little more every time I go swimming. I normally practice crawling now - the leg movement feels good. Not that I have a good crawling style, my husband says it looks terrible. I had to teach myself, because I trained for Ironman Germany (which I only half finished) and that was outside in the cold lake near my work and I had to wear a wet suit. You can't do breast stroke in a wet suit.
How is you physio? I have the impression, your exercises at physiotherapy don't feel so good for you. I can confirm that that was the case with me often. I've finished with physiotherapy and just do the kind of sport I enjoy and do a lot of it. Now I feel so much better - no pain, no limp. Not sure whether it's because I still further recovered even beyond the 6-week-mark or whether I stopped the physio and just do other things. I cycle to work (21 km one way), go crawl swimming as I mentioned, walk with my husband and occasionally go to the gym. It's a pleasure to do the same exercises on the machines as pre-op, but enjoying them this time. I recommend swimming and cycling for all those who are recovering. While it's non-weight-bearing but strengthens your muscles. Must take a look at my bike now in the lunch hour. I have the feeling I have a slow puncture - my poor bike - but my hip is so robust and strong. It's amazing how much more robust humans can be than machines. All the best to you!
Constanze
 
@Constanze thank you for your update. It is fantastic how well you are doing, ironman is an impressive sport. My swim class is a water aerobics class. A wonderful group of ladies who enjoy life and the class. The exercises fall into two categories: to get your heart rate up and to strengthen your core. Water walking, jogging, cross country skiing etc in the pool. And then lots of stretching, balance exercises with weights, paddle boards, noodles, and balls. We have a really good time but we don't get our face or hair wet...lol. Some of us might get the hair a bit but oh my if an occasional splash hits some.....yikes. The best part is our friendships over the years. Of course we all go out to lunch afterwards. We all work at different levels and have different/ same issues going on with our health. We are quite bionic with knee and hip replacements. I am so glad I have made my way back. Having said that my main goal is to get endurance and strength in my walking gait. Moving towards the no limp without aids. I am using the cane more and the walker less. I am feeling much more like myself. Having had two knee replacements as well as the hip I have made some recovery comparisons which are unique to my journey. The knees were much more painful and required more physical rehab. The hip has proven to be more mental with the restrictions ever present in my mind. Having the 90 degree restriction for life is limiting and somewhat of a daily struggle for me. Hopefully the adaptations I have made will become second nature. You should see me putting my water shoes on with a grabber. It is a toss up which is going to give out first, the shoe, me or the grabber. Hugs and good thoughts as we continue the road of recovery.
 
@sunbunny , I like that water aerobics class of yours. I also practiced water aerobics in a group when I was doing my hip rehab after the surgery. My favourite exercise was sitting in a noodle (like in a swing) and then pedalling as though I was on my bike. Also - it's great that you have friends in the group with whom you can share experiences with knee and hip recovery.
My limp was still there a little bit at 6 weeks but now I think it's gone. I think it was due to the left muscles still being weaker than the right ones, but now both legs are symmetrical. The unoperated leg also seems to be stronger. The only thing is I've gained weight on both legs, but maybe that's the way it should be. If you keep up this water class and do it regulary you should soon be 100% "limp-less". Also - the 90° restriction is 12 weeks maximum as far as I know (usually 6 weeks only). You don't have to stick to it for good. Except, at first, it didn't bother me in the slightest because I couldn't bend any further preop, anyway, so I was pleasantly surprised, when I finally could. Love from Constanze
 
It is a toss up which is going to give out first, the shoe, me or the grabber.
@sunbunny This made me laugh (as I sit non weight bearing on the sofa on day 8 out of 42)

@Constanze I love to read your emails. I am impressed with your commitment to exercise - unfortunately mine comes and goes - oh well never mind.
 
@PDA how are you doing? Thinking of you as you are two weeks out. I will have to look for your thread. Sending hugs, thoughts, prayers and the best caring hands.
 
@Cynthia777 you are so sweet and investigate all our problems. My PT was surprised at the 90 degree restriction for life as well and since it was PA that told me she said she would email my OS directly. This was his response yes she will have the 90 degree restriction and if she had any questions to contact the PA. So I guess that is my final answer. Prior to surgery my quality of life was going downhill fast so there really was no option and if I think about it I was much more restricted with the disabled hip than I am now with my new one. I have a difficult time wrapping my head around the restriction and possible dislocation if I mess up. I know I need to get over it and move on. Really knock on wood I have not had the complications so many of our fellow hippees have had. They have accepted and tried to remediate the problems with grace that I hope to obtain. I have been fighting this mobility issue since 1995 and I think I am worn down. Of course it is night time and everything always is worse at night. So I will have a shiny smile and better attitude tomorrow. Thanks for listening to my rant! By the way it seems that PAs have taken over much of patient care and other than doing the actual surgery the OS is not really available. This was not the case for my knee replacements. How have you been? Has your hip pain continued to improve?
 
" By the way it seems that PAs have taken over much of patient care and other than doing the actual surgery the OS is not really available."

So true Sunbunny. Nevertheless You always find the positives among the many negatives and the PTs have more time to listen to us. Hope you are feeling better in the sunshine.
Diane
 
@Granny Di yes the sun is shining and I am much better. Going on our first overnight this weekend. Hmmm less clothes more grabbers, pillows..............lol. So happy to see the ocean! I will not get in as we have had a bunch of shark attacks. Always the pool but ahhh the waves and hopefully the whitecaps with the wind blowing.
Thank you Diane. Sending sunshine your way too! Hugs, Barb
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom