THR Sunbunny's Rainbow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello @sunbunny!
Lots of information in your post and somewhat confusing. I do not understand why you have the 90 degree restriction still and how you could touch your toes with stretching? When he said you have a 90 degree rotation I am trying to understand what that means too. I sure wouldn't get far in a medical profession! (Okay my hub just explained that to me.)
At least you can drive and go pool walking - some freedom there and socializing and the girls will be so happy to have you back because you are so much fun. You are still early on the healing timeline- I think a month after me - so you will get much better in time.
And the driving without pain meds rule- does that include tylenol/aspirin? or just heavier meds? I would never be able to drive if tylenol was included. I think the quart of jack sounds good about now. Sneak it into the pool! Stay positive! It will get better.
Hugs!
 
@Granny Di the toe cutting thing is confusing to me too. But apparently it must involve a different approach using muscles...don't know but said PT would help me. He did clear me for mani/pedis so I think that will be my route. Of course he said as long as hubby will pay lol. Hubby about took a toe off cutting my nails this week. Actually took the skin off the third toe. Claims it is because he can't see but there is no skin missing on his toes. Grateful for his help. Bless his heart.
Regarding the hip rotation,the PA took his leg bent it and rotated it out. He could only go 55 degrees. We of course should not try this to measure our rotation. Apparently it is something done at surgery, because no one has tried to measure me since. I do not think it would be safe. And I might hurt someone if they tried. I am very protective of what I do.
The driving thing is for restricted drugs. I am still taking Lortab but at a lower dose. I would like to be off and am slowly reducing but trying to stay ahead of the pain. Pain is in direct relationship to how much activity I do. I do have occasional sharp and sometimes burning pain. Goes away as fast as it hits. Probably muscles and nerves healing. This is different from the deep ache in muscles after too much activity.
Yes, I am so excited about gaining some independence and visiting my pool gals. I know I need to take it slow. Our class is a hoot. We crack jokes and generally cause much ruckus while we work out. We meet three times a week and have a different instructor each day. Nobody can take us three times a week. We have no drama queens, unusual as we are a group of 15-17. Our class is always full and very hard to get into. I have had to pay while I have been out just to keep my spot. We run off any man as we want to use the men's locker room to shower afterwards. An occasional man joins but we start talking about female problems in great detail and before you know it the rooster flees the coop. Hugs
 
LOLOLOLOLOL your class sounds like mine! No men please..we need your locker room.

I am so happy to be back in the pool. It feels so good. I am the youngster of the class and my job us to keep them entertained!

I love the freedom of driving but just dont bhave the stamina in my legs to do a whole lot at one time. Yesterday I went to PT and then went looking for a small 8 inch desk top fan. I went to Two stores
 
Oops
Two stores before ending up at Home Depot. That store is just too big!

Glad you are getting back to " normal"
 
@sunbunny
I want to be in your class!!! How fun!!! I have a swimming pool, but it's not fun to swim alone! As always you make my day a bit brighter when I read your posts...no matter what you're going through, you always have an upbeat and fun attitude!
 
The question of the hour? Did my OS tell me about permanent restriction of 90 degrees prior to surgery? No he did not. He said I would have some restrictions but it was in the form of talking about recovery from surgery. I was bummed about not having anterior and he said six weeks out there was little difference between the approaches in the recovery stage. Now I would think a big difference would be a permanent restriction. My in home PT said that she frequently sees patients who did not know about permanent restrictions, so I am climbing down off my soapbox and trying-to be positive about my outcome and continued recovery. I am not going to let this eat me up anymore. It is what it is and all things considered I have had a good outcome so far. Comparing hips to knee replacements I think knees are physically harder to recover from. I think hips are mentally harder to recover from due to the restrictions imposed and a drastic change of what normal is now. Maybe six months from now I will look at this differently. Sorry about the rant but it is 2:40 am and sleep is no where to be found. My sister in law has had two hips replaced, both posterior, she has no restrictions. She can tie her shoes and bend to pick things up. But she cannot sleep in a regular bed and sleeps only in recliners. Yikes. Another friend had an anterior replacement and had the doctor even up legs that had been different lengths her whole life. She is having terrible back problems as a result. So it seems there is a little something to worry about that is unique to all of us. My left knee replacement is without problem, right knee has major soft tissue pain and swelling. So I guess my thing with hip is dealing with restrictions. Ok..feel better that I got all of that off my chest. Maybe I can go to sleep. Now where is that quart of Jack? Lol. Hugs
 
@sunbunny -I have been scanning through your posts to see why you have so many joint issues and can't find it -vaguely remember seeing something long ago. So why is it? Rheumatoid arthritis? Osteo?
It seems so unfair for an active person like yourself to have to go through this. Good thing you're tough! And have a superior sense go humour.
Hope you slept last night. I wish I had been sent to an arthritis specialist but I never was and honestly never thought of asking. No one else in my family has arthritis - 5 siblings -so I wonder what causes it. So much money put into research and yet no cures.
I find deep slow belly breathing helps me to get to sleep - and occasionally a bottle of wine.
At least you can look forward to regular mani-peds. I lost several toenails on my November hike and as soon as they have grown back I am going for a pedicure.
Wishing you a good sleep in the very near future -like tonight already!
 
@Granny Di thank you for your kind reply. Wow I was on a terror last night. Yes I got a couple hours of zzzs. I have had a lot of joint problems. Both knees were bone on bone, same as left hip with bone spurs as an added bonus. My knees started going out in 1995. I had arthroscopic knee surgery to repair meniscus after a nasty fall. The OS said both knees would have to be replaced by 2000 as my meniscus was shredded. I suffered until 2006 when I could not teach anymore. So I had left knee done, and returned to teaching. Right knee went after six months and I left teaching and had it replaced in 2007. Right hip is where my left hip was two years ago. I hope to improve my gait and not have it deteriate sooner. I also have had disc problems in my back. I had a ruptured c5 disc and had it repaired while I was still teaching. I think I was predisposed for joint problems and almost twenty years of teaching on cement floors, bending, stooping, playing tennis and volleyball took it's toll on my body. It has been two years since my lower back problems started. L5 is unstable and stenosis of lower back as well. Have had injections and nerve testing. Rods and screws are only option but this would cause next disc to fail. So I have discovered what aggravates it and I just don't do any activity which causes problems. Whew I hope that made sense. Having said all of that, my problems seem small compared to friends with MS, Parkinson's, and cancer. I am for the most part a get up and go gal with a type A personality. I know that all of this will get better. I am grateful for friends that listen, give advice, support and hugs. Another long post. So I have this beautiful Saturday in front of me. I think I will clear out the office, take down the ninety's wallpaper border, paint, reorganize ( throw out hubby's ****), and paint a pretty picture. Or not.....Hallmark channel! In our virtual world you would be in your kayak and I would be playing tennis. Hugs!:loveshwr::kayak::surfer::tennis2:
 
@sunbunny
God bless you! You have the greatest attitude of anyone I've ever encountered, who has gone through the trials you have! The world is just a little bit better place with you here! I bet all your students just adored you!!!
I'm still stymied as to why you have that "permanent" 90 degree rule. I just don't get it.
 
From everything I could gather on the Internet, some surgeons are very conservative and make the 90 degree rule a lifetime limitation, however these surgeons are few and far between. Forgive me if I missed it in one of your posts, but I would sure find out if this is his rule to ALL patients, or is the rule in place because of your particular circumstances.
 
@Cynthia777 the rule is for his patients with lateral posterior approach. Like you said very few Drs impose this. It is hard to argue when they say go ahead but you might dislocate. So I will err on the safe side. Thank you for your kind words. I loved teaching and adored my students. There few jobs with greater rewards. Miss it like crazy but retired due to my physical limitations. I hope you have a wonderful vacation and that your hip heals. Don't overdo. Hugs
 
@sunbunny, gosh we have so many of the same orthopedic problems. We are just attacking them in a different order. I have 2 hips done and one knee ready as soon as I can't stand it anymore. Like you I have learned what aggravates my back and just avoid those as much as possible. I have lived with my back since I was 16 years old when I was in a toboggan accident. I blame my knees and hips to being slightly overweight but still played tons of tennis. I spent 8 years coaching at our high school. Those long hours standing on a hard surface didn't do me any good that is for sure. Let's not forget the softball coaching and many long hours sitting on bleaches watching my kids play basketball and softball.

I am getting impatient. At this point in my recovery I would just like to walk which I do but without pain.
 
@webbie73 so understand. Patience is not my long streak when I want something done! Usually that is when the grabber falls to the floor, the toilet paper rolls away, pain meds fall behind bed stand, TV remote crashes to the floor in many pieces, break out in a hot flash, and cat does a dodo on the floor. That all happened this morning. Lol. Hang in there! I agree with Bonesmarts Mantra if it hurts don't do it. The no pain no gain does not work with a major surgery recovery. So hugs my friend and hopefully pain free walking will be soon for both of us! In the meantime..........:bicycle1::upright::swim:
 
Yippee! I got into the pool today. Not a class just open swim. I hung on a noodle and walked across the pool a bunch. Too many times because legs, hip, and knees are smarting right now. But it sure was nice getting into warm water. Big weekend...going to see a show...Dirty Dancing. Hope my bum holds up. Company coming too...so got to start the cleaning. Hugs!
 
@sunbunny
So you are 8 weeks post op is that right? You seem to be recovering amazingly! I am hopeful I will be as active as you at 8 weeks. Shows and gatherings and pool time! Sounds heavenly. My big outings are 20 minute walks, hour lunch dates and a pedicure! A bit more sedate! ;)



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Sullivand I feel very blessed that I have not had complications. I can tell I have made progress but it is has been a slow and steady pace. Thank goodness for all of the advice and friendship of this forum. Although excited about this weekend I hope I can pull it off. Lol! I think you are doing great. I don't have the endurance for a twenty minute walk yet. As with my knee replacements, strength and endurance will be my projects. I look forward to my first pedicure but have to wait for toe to heal. Hubby took the skin off while snipping a toe. He has been wonderful just not so much with toes. Hugs
 
@sunbunny so funny on the hubby and pedicure. Well, not funny really. I asked mine to take off my polish last week and oh boy....what a mess. We were both covered in red smeared polish. He tried but when he asked me if I wanted him to paint my toes I said oh no thank you!!! Effort was good....:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom