Guest viewing is limited

THR Sunbunny's Rainbow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow I have my 1st outpatient PT visit. It's where I did my pool exercises before surgery. I had such a busy day today and I'm hoping all I have to do is lie on a table! :yawn: I think I was getting up & down at least 20x today and that is exactly what makes my hip complain.
@sunbunny I hope you have someplace you can go lie down. Take care!
I've been cleared for the pool. Not sure if it'll be tomorrow. :thumb:
 
Have a directors chair I can put a pillow in but it will never be comfortable for two hours. Yikes 25 kids four and under running around with Water guns and water balloons.
Yes, the two pillows sounds a good idea - but keep getting up (you will get sore otherwise) and then go to the bar and lean on it (order a pina colada, sip it thoughtfully and keep your umbrella up to deflect water pistol ricochet), offering passing small guests raw carrots, radishes and green beans. They will probably keep a wide berth after a while.

Also, I must caution, the wet Tshirt idea might be a bit too frightening for the young (if you are built like me anyway).
:cheers2:
 
@Great Aunt Janet cracking me up as usual. Yes I too have a pair of flotation devices. How are you doing? Do you still feel the limitations or have you crossed into the world of normal? It still takes me forever to accomplish anything. No pity party here! I did too much yesterday and woke up with groin pain. Back to the party...cupcakes, pizza, and juice boxes. I think beer for parents. Maybe I will take my own cocktail! Piña coladas are my drink of choice. I did many a disco dance once upon a time. Memories...........
 
Yes @sunbunny - I'm definitely on the normal side ("only time ever", my husband might mutter) of the whole thing - including the years pre-op. I feel so optimistic and grateful.

I think if I overdo it I get sore too, but generally, overdoing it means doing a lot now, and I bet it is for you too. Ah well, no more fluttering of fingers and whimpering when I want something brought to me... well, maybe not NO more :)
 
Did you survive the party @sunbunny ? Or maybe you drowned? Flotation devices deflate? Just checking up on you....Diane
 
@Granny Di I did survive going to get my hair cut and dyed. Had to use two pillows. Lol. Feel much better. Party is tomorrow! Should be fun. Grandson is spending the night here tonight...101 Dalmatians or Frozen? Hope you are doing well and your back is not acting out. I will let you know if I remain dry or not. Hmmmm.just thought about the toilets at my daughter's house. Guess I won't be drinking anything. Hugs Barb
 
@sunbunny, use a buddy system for the bathroom. Most of the people will be outside. Just ask your hubby to help lower you and then hoist you up.....of course he can leave the bathroom while you do your business.

Enjoy your grandson tonight!!
 
I survived the party! Gravity chair worked out great. Beautiful and hot day for a water party! I did not get soaked although one little rascal did shoot me with water. The heat and sun did wear me out and came home..slept for two hours. Of course tonight I will be counting sheep. Does anyone else get sore in the hip after sitting upright? I am good for about one hour and then the throb begins! I think it might be muscular and just need to build some endurance. Thoughts?:loveshwr::flwrysmile:
 
Yes @sunbunny - sitting is the one thing that makes me uncomfortable now - fidgety and just not right. But - it is getting better slowly I think, and I find myself able to use lower chairs without thinking now for a little while. Good news on the party - sounds like you really went the distance.
 
@sunbunny - hi, glad to hear your almost ready for the pool.:swim: Be patient with
the last scab, I too, had to wait and wait. But I'm swimming now and doing all sorts of water
exercises without thinking about getting an infection. Especially at a public pool and
the kids out of school for the summer.

I get stiff and sore if sitting too long. I have noticed this more when I dine out, mostly
because the seating can be uncomfortable. One time my husband and I didn't sit at a
table because, darn it I couldn't bring my leg up to the height of the seat, it was a bar
stool so we selected another low table with chairs. I think that will be the new norm for a while.
I also have to take a few minutes to stand up straight, then take a few careful steps without
lurching over to one side and thinking not to limp then I can take regular strides.

I definitely think its muscular. It is frustrating how quickly you can loose muscle tone.
But...the body is amazing, we just have to let it heal on its own time schedule not our
mental mind that's just along for the ride.
 
@sunbunny @souldancer @Great Aunt Janet I was getting a lot of pain sitting. I've had 2 outpatient sessions this week and the PT massaged my incision -- oohing and ahhing about how wonderful it looks.:eeeuw: Today I was in the hairdresser's chair for about 1 3/4 hr and no pain! I wore my 'good' pants, well not my baggy comfy pants, so I am getting better sitting! I have been a little disappointed that I still need the cane to walk forward -- don't need it if I 'moon walk' or side-step.:chinstroke: And I have to say that I did get a little sore on the drive home today. So this afternoon I wallowed & then celebrated my trip to the salon. Chocolates! Laid on the couch and ate chocolates!:egypdance: Glad to hear that you are all getting out and enjoying life. :roseshwr:I'm looking forward to pool exercises on Tuesday! :swim:
 
@wcgirl. Chocolates! I have a confession, my grandsons cupcakes were green and blue. Deep colors and their tongues and lips were the same color. I of course had been looking forward to a cupcake, big kid and all, so on the way home convinced hubby to buy some. Yum, white cake with white frosting! I know very very bad....
Congrats on your progress...love having my hair done too. I will have to build up sitting endurance. Hugs
 
I also get stiff every time I sit for any period of time. It does make me impatient. I just want this hip to heal and be done with it! Yesterday I over did it and now today my walking was not as good. I still have discomfort every time I step with the new hip. I just need time to heal. My muscles in my legs are so fatigued from walking and supporting me!

Glad you had a nice time at the party.
 
Whilst we are all confessing @sunbunny, I did serve myself (and paid for, of course) a large macadamia and chocolate icecream cone at work today - it was a quiet day after all, so after mopping floors and making up pamphlets, I looked into the freezer...:secret:

And I know what you mean Kathy @webbie73 about wanting to be done with the healing - sometimes, usually end of day when tired, I just think what the hell, can't be bothered and just lurch about, and don't try and do the supermodel walk. A lot of effort.

But if I catch sight of myself in a window, I do quickly revert to trying again. Walking the doggies helps the most - they stop so often to get their messages (and leave some), that I get 'new opportunities' to do re-start good walking at every corner.
:chuckmarch:
 
@Great Aunt Janet i want your ice cream ! Yum yum. So funny about the doggies and their messages and deposits. @webbie73 thank you for sharing. Feel much better knowing this is all part of the process. I do worry about going back into limp mode. So with walker I have the better gait. Maybe four weeks from now we will look back on this journey with less equipment! Lol hugs
 
Latest update! I had my appointment today. It was with the PA again but he did answer my questions. So here goes. In my fog at the hospital OS mentioned he could get my hip to rotate 90 degrees and that was wonderful. Sometimes they can only get 45 degrees. PA showed me what that meant and said it lessened my chances of dislocation. I asked what the dislocation rate for hips was and he said between ten and fifteen percent. Yikes! He said most dislocations come from falls and from breaking a restriction. His percentage rates were high compared to the internet but the rates online mentioned a lot of dislocations are not reported as they are fixed in ER or non-surgically. Next question was the lifetime 90 degree restriction and yes I will have this forever. My surgery was a lateral posterior and he said that was the restriction. I said I can't believe I would never cut my toenails again. Stupid response I know. He said PT could possibly show me how and with proper muscle stretching I might be able to do that again. Still not happy with the restriction. I have to sleep with the pillow between my legs for four more weeks (8 weeks now). He also said if I was an active sleeper I would need to use it longer. I am cleared to start sleeping on operated side. I will always have to use pillow when sleeping on non-operated side. Just tried turning on operative side and felt discomfort so I guess it is something you work towards. Cleared to start pool and can go back to my water class when I feel comfortable. Cleared to drive car as long as I have been 8 hours wIthout pain meds. I asked about using a lift in my right shoe due to the left leg being longer. My gait is fine with the walker, but using the cane a small limp, and without anything a definite limp. I can tell the left leg is slightly longer. He said to be careful because sometimes the muscles do not respond well to the lift. Signed up for out patient therapy to help with strength, endurance, gait, and scar tissue around incision. Also they will help to decide about using a lift in the right leg. Hopefully I can get the same PT team I had with both of my knee replacements. Hubby had to ask a question too, lol, he asked how is the best way to land if I were to fall? PA said do not fall, but land on knees if I did fall. Ouch on the knee replacements. Long report but I had a lot of things to ask. I do feel better about dislocation worries. So I will start water walking next week, first PT will be following week. I really want to gain some of my old life back. I have cabin fever big time. It is sad when you start to look forward to The Price Is Right and The Golden Girls. I am grateful for the progress I have made and lack of complications many others deal with. I will have a slow recovery due to the back issues and the lack of mobility. sending out hugs, good thoughts, sunshine (for you @Granny Di ) and caring hands to help us hippees.
 
Phew, quite a report @sunbunny. I'm so glad to hear that you can get back to the water walking, it will give you a real boost to do something so normal again. Yeah, the TV life is depressing when you think about it, but sometimes it is just the ticket to help you escape your confines. I love old movies for that, especially.

That lifetime restriction is tough. Did he mention it as a possibility beforehand? I think you are the first hippie on here I have noticed having had that level of restriction imposed, so it must be rare - or maybe not? I don't think your response (re the toenails) was stupid at all, I mean, I know that most of us couldn't reach them before, but fully hoped to be able to do them after! Not sure what muscles you could stretch to get to toes without less than 90 degree bend. :what:

Sleeping on your operated side will get more comfortable as you go along - and perhaps you will have to design and sew yourself some special billow-pillow-jamas, with a large pocket on one inside leg, into which you insert the blasted pillow... so it travels with you as you move at night.
Might look a bit comical when you pop along to the bathroom in the night... :dubious:

Forgive me, I do really feel for you.

I hope you are able to keep up the walking - it really helps with gently strengthening those muscles, and as they don't get tired so fast, you will be able to stop the limping more easily. I still haven't done any physio out of hospital and I know my gait is improving all the time. Slow but sure, we're all getting there. :thumb:
 
@Great Aunt Janet lol . Billow pillows , yes I can see it now. I have five pillow now, one between, one on each side and two under head. Lord help the fella that disturbs a pilla. Or worse yet steals one. He will draw back a nub. Shark Tank here we come. We should create a hip replacement supply store. One stop shopping....maybe a quart of Jack would help. Heehee. Gosh I wish we lived closer...great friends on the forum! Hugs
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom