THR Sulliy in Recovery

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Hoping you're having a great week while sending wishes for a lovely weekend.
Take care. :)
@Sulliy
 
Layla thank you for my message that’s very kind of you , I’m getting there , my friend from school came to see me yesterday , she is a yoga teacher and had a Double hip op last year , she was brilliant she gave me some tips and pointed out what I needed to do to help with my recovery, heel, toe, heel, toe she also told me about bonesmart when I contacted her to find out more about her hip op , she set me some more exercises and told me about how far I needed to walk each day up to this week I’m totally bushwhacked today and I went out in the van with my mom I managed nearly 2000 steps I need to working up to 4000 now I’ve got to say it was more my bottom that hurts to sit in the van rather than the wound area , I then came home had a shower , Painkillers and iced then to be alarmed by my fire alarm going off it totally freaked me out as I have animals and was undressed so I panicked and called my mom I just think I was so tired I couldn’t cope I think it’s just the batteries are low in the alarm , but I’m getting there I will do my walking , exercises tomorrow but rest up a-bit too happy hippie Thursday my friends k
 
Hello @Sulliy Thanks for your update!
It's nice to know someone who's experienced hip replacement also. At least I took comfort in that. Each of my parents had both hips replaced so not only did I witness their recoveries, but learned a lot and asked them many questions as I went through my experience. You're lucky to have your friend to talk to and it seems she's given you a lot of sound advice.

Tiring easily is common as your body uses energy first for healing not leaving a great reserve for the rest of the activities of daily living. Take advantage of any extra time you have to rest / sleep as it's still early days into recovery in the whole scheme of things.

I can relate to the discomfort of sitting in a vehicle for any length of time. I experienced the same for the first few months. The confinement coupled with the buckle of the seat belt landing in close proximity to my Posterior incision caused me discomfort. After about 30-40 minutes I was done and wanted out.
I began using a smaller gel ice pack between the seat belt buckle and my leg. You could do the same by sitting on one temporarily if you find it necessary to be in a vehicle for longer than your comfort level currently allows.

I'm happy to read you're doing well. Keep up the good work and stay in touch. :)
 
Just chiming in to say hello. Energy drain is still real for me too. It’s like an on off switch. Getting better at recognizing my shut down mode. I still take a nap most days. Even if it’s just resting with legs straight out and my eyes closed. It is wonderful you have a friend to share tips with. I have found stretching bd helpful too. We are about same surgery date. Hope you have a relaxing weekend.
 
Hi Hip4family thank you for my message I walked with my son today and went shopping with my friend, we wasn’t very long , but gosh when I got home I slept for 4 hours you kind of getting into the mind set am I ever going to go back to normal , looking back on the lady few weeks I’m knocking my painkillers off I only take them if I’m struggling , I don’t tend to sleep on the day now even tho I did today I was totally shattered , I hope I sleep tonight now tho , was your surgery your first or have you had the other hip done too ? Kind wishes k
 
It's amazing how much a trip to the store can drain the energy reserves. Made my first trip yesterday. I was drained just like you report. Everything seems to require more attention and energy. From getting out of the vehicle to pushing the shopping cart and unloading after getting home.

Still though, it really feels good to get out and do normal things even when knowing what the price will be after getting home.
 
Hi BruceH well I went shopping with my mom for a few things on Sunday too and then walked my dogs today each day I’m feeling better and stronger with not as much tiredness it’s was nice to read I’m not the only one as I was so fit before my pain and to think just a shop can make you feel so weak but it totally comes back I can tell already it seems to be the next day you feel better as long as you don’t over do it ,I’ve set myself a goal of 4’000 steps a day but today I’ve done over 5’000 steps it’s took me to week 5 to get there and the Physiotherapist helps because they give you confidence , it’s imperative to do exercises even if you don’t feel like it , keep in touch thanks again for your message happy healing I’ll keep u posted :yahoo:
 
Hi everyone a quick question I’ve started to stop using my crutche in the house as the physio adviced me , I find the I’m limping without it , is this normal as I’m worried I’m going to be left with a limp now , I feel as tho my hip area is tight and restricts my movement, when I use the crutch I don’t limp as much if not at all now , I’m also wondering if anyone has been to the chiropractor after hip Surgery I feel I’m all out on the other hip side and I’m worried about them doing anything they shouldn’t this close to recovery if I were to book in any advice would be greatly appreciated k
 
I am surprised PT told you to stop using a crutch if you are limping without it. Most would advise to use assistive devices and establish a good gait first. The assistive device is there to help us walk properly after limping due to bad hip and for some of us this was months if not years so our body and brain has to relearn how to walk properly again and at first some of those muscles do not want to cooperate at first.

I did go to a chiropractor years ago but it was all before hip replacements. I would check both with your OS as to this as well as your chiropractor regarding this. Your chiropractor might not want to do any manipulations right now as you are still early in the healing process. I know when I went first she wanted x-rays of certain body parts to make sure she would do no harm.
 
I agree with Lee. If you’re still limping, use your crutch or cane. I used my cane for a few months especially when I was going for longer distances or got especially tired and started limping badly. You’ll know by how you feel when to let it go. I obviously don’t think slowly phasing it out is a bad idea. My OS had no problem with it either. Good luck and keep us posted. Pat.
 
Hello @Sulliy
Please don't worry that you'll be left with a limp.
It is advised you use an assistive device until you're no longer limping.
A tip -
Try heel-toe walking when / if you're limping. Let your heel hit the ground first followed by toes. It takes a concentrated effort but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try and let us know how it works for you.

I wouldn't make any appointments with a chiropractor without a nod from your surgeon first.

Wishing you a great week!
 
I was using my walker for probably the first month, PT wanted me to concentrate on my gait and do it safely. Then I probably had the cane for another month, month and a half. I had been limping for quite a while and it took a while to correct it. But it does correct, especially if you actively concentrate on the heel-toe walking that Layla mentions. I still have to concentrate when I'm tired and I'm 7 months out.
 
I still have to concentrate when I'm tired and I'm 7 months out.

It was the same for me as, Elf1. Many months out...if I was tired.
Don't recall when it resolved, it's just one of those things where you realize one day that you're no longer doing it. It will come for you too.
 
Hi all thanks again for your advice, I’ve gone from my 1 crutch to a walking stick I do walk a while without it and when I tier I then use it just to ease my weak muscles.... I’m gradually feel like I’m limping less my friend had both of her hips resurface a few years ago and said don’t worry I will just stop limping but to try like you’ve advised to walk heel , toe .... I still struggle with sleeping I’m working a few days ,I’m not doing much mainly booking work out in the office , I’m also doing some shopping with my son even tho my son makes sure I’m well looked after I don’t know what I’d of done without him he has grown up a lot while I’ve been reliant on him , I’m looking forward to looking after him again soon it’s just a stiff kinda frozen feeling in my hip area that still get me it’s a uncomfortable feeling , I’ve got to say the recovery is harder than I thought it would be , it’s so nice not have that Chronic pain I had tho ..... every week I can do more and know I’m getting better I’m so glad I have you lovely hippie friends to turn to and ask the questions you already know , i hope I can also answer and reassure future hippie friend‘s kind wishes k
 
Hi just wondering when I go for my check with the surgeon on the 20th of feb will he do an X-ray just to check all is ok ? Hope everyone is well k
 
Depends on the OS. Mine did one at the 5/6 week follow-up and didn't do another until our last follow-up at 6/7 months.
 
I went in at 3 weeks and had an xray.l then at 6 months I had another checkup and had another xray.
They are very reassuring to me. I suppose each OS is different, but it mostly seems the norm.
Good luck with your appointment!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom