THR Sulliy in Recovery

The nice thing with grabbers is that they are so useful even after recovery when things fall where it is hard to reach in between things or to reach up if you are short. Even my husband who has no orthopaedic problems and is tall uses mine periodically.
 
Hoping you've recovered from your accidental bend over. That had to be scary. I had anterior approach so my restrictions are different. I can bend but not allow one leg to be too far behind or turn knee inward or outward. The physical therapist had a fit when I got off the recumbent bike by swinging my operated leg sideways. But we're so used to certain movements. It's all quite a lot.
 
Hi everyone I seem to be getting on ok I’m using 1 Crutch getting about , doing exercises and walking to bus stop most days , but I was just wondering as just under my surgical wound towards the back of my thighs I have some swelling and it’s tender my wound isn’t infected, has anyone else experience this and is it down to just using it again and exercises? I don’t know if I should go for an X-ray just to make sure nothing as moved thank you in advance for your advice and support kind wishes K
 
You will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.
 
Ok sorry I’m so rubbish on the threads I’ve not long been able to do online so it totally baffles me
 
:hi:Its okay @Sulliy
I had quite a learning curve when I came on as I've never joined a forum before Bonesmart and trying to figure it out under the influence of pain meds ...:umm:
Click on this...it is useful.

Wondering if you have a follow up soon if you are concerned. Or you could call and explain what happened in case you think they are concerned.
Sounds normal to me...likely would be the same without the wrong move.
I had anterior approach so it was the front of my thigh...but there was definitely swelling and tenderness.

I know it is oft repeated advice, but Icing is Key.
Hope today is a better day.:friends:
 
Mojo333 thank you for your advice, I think I will call and just check with them I noticed last night I seem to have the same sort of swelling and tenderness on the other hip I think it may be that my muscles are getting used to my body moving in a different way now plus on the op hip side there is a lot of trauma to the muscles , I iced last night and his morning so it does feel better and seems to have gone down , I guess I’m still worried for my I swooped and grab something to low it was feeling quite good until then but I wasn’t really to much then And Exercise wise...... have a good day x
 
It's nice to get reassurance from your OS office. Likely just pulled and irritated some of that healing soft tissue. Hope you are still icing and elevating.
Lots of healing vibes coming your way.
 
Ok sorry I’m so rubbish on the threads I’ve not long been able to do online so it totally baffles me

No apologies necessary. You're certainly not alone in trying to figure out how to navigate the forum. It will come. Let us know if you have questions and we'll do our best to help you out.

The swelling and tenderness you describe certainly sounds normal for not even one month post op. I think if your prosthetic moved you'd be feeling sensations stronger than tenderness....more like pain. If ever in doubt, I'm sure your surgeon's care team can reassure you over the phone that all is well after you answer a few questions.
Let us know what you hear if you make the call.
I hope you have a great day!
 
Hi everyone so can I ask your advice once again , I’m finding the stockings really uncomfortable now it will be 4 weeks this Monday post op , I’m walking about a lot in the day now not much sitting for long periods of time or sleeping only at night ,I’ve got 3 jabs left to stop blood clots did anyone else stop wearing their stocking early? I absolutely hate them I know they are there to help but as I’m more active I’m just finding them hard to wear to the point they wake me up hence my post now 4am , when I left the hospital I was told that my Surgeon ‍⚕️ was one of a few that recommended wearing stockings , I was told to wear them 6 weeks..... any advice would be appreciated kind wishes k x
 
@Sulliy I believe I was told to wear them for 8 weeks. :yikes: After 4 I was done. Stopped them early with my knee replacement as well. I'm obviously only passing on my own experience not medical advice but I had no issues stopping them early. I'm sure others will weigh in. They are truly miserable.

PS with my THR the stocking wouldn't stay up on the non operated leg, drove me crazy!
 
Hi @Sulliy . I wish you a successful recovery!
I only wore my stockings for 7 days, but then again, I received Xarelto - an anticoagulant medicine - first as injections, then, after 2 weeks, in tablet form for altogether 6 weeks post-op. Not sure whether you are also taking anticoagulants or blood thinners.
They said I didn't need the stockings any longer when I became more active, which I did, because after 7 days post op, I went to a rehab centre for 3 weeks where I had to do a lot of rehab exercises to get fit again, and the exercise helped me a lot. I went on the exercise bike, on the machines in the in-house gym, and even swimming at the in-house swimming pool.
However, last October, I had a tibia head fracture that forced me to be inactive for weeks, and the policy of the hospital where they operated (I had 2 plates and screws inserted in my lower leg) was to wear the stockings for 6 weeks. They seem to be more conservative at that hospital than at the other one.
Maybe you can ask the doctor who is responsible for your follow-up whether you can stop using the stockings early if you so active, since you seem to walk a fair distance. As I also read on bonesmart, every doctor's and hospital's policy seems to be different.
Good luck - Constanze
 
Hi @Sulliy
We should try to follow our surgeons recommendations...I say Good Try...4 weeks! Hated those TEDS.
I lost mine in the washing machine after the first week.:heehee:
 
My surgeon does not even use them. He said he only uses them if someone has had blood clots in the past. They do stress ankle pumps and heel slides when reclining and of course getting up and walking around regularly.
 
Hello everyone thank you for your advice I will continue to wear them maybe taking them off for a while in the day while I’m more active , I will also seek advice from my surgeon , it’s madness Im recovering well from the op and I’m on it with my exercises, I went to my grandfather funeral yesterday and I have to say it took a lot out of me as it was Burial and I had to walk away which did me good , but on the evening I was exhausted, I was still unable to sleep due to stockings , my back and just feeling uncomfortable I had pins and needles in both legs and they felt swollen even tho my son who has been totally amazing for a 16 year old reckoned they weren’t, I think I finally fell asleep again at 2.30 am..... I know it’s a small price to pay for having the brilliant opportunity to have my life pain free back but it’s frustrating when you are sleep deprived I’ve learnt a phew things tho alcohol is totally bad for your body I love a glass of wine or cider in the summer but I’ve not touched a drop for weeks until yesterday at the funeral and gosh it was like I had drank poison my body just hated it I’ve had a headache ever since ,I’m not saying I will be t total but I think I may cut the wine out...... till next time happy recovery my hippie friends x
 
Hi everyone hope all you new hippies are doing well , I’m getting better each day moving more and more , sleeping a lot better I was wondering when is it possible to drive as I feel I could do a short trip very soon I am 4 weeks Monday just gone is this to soon ? Kind wishes k
 
Hi @Sulliy
You sound like you are doing well.:) :-) (:
I noticed you don't have Which hip replaced in your signature...was it your left?
Obviously this would make it easier if you have an automatic car.

Before driving, you need to have a clear head, be off all narcotic medication, and be absolutely sure that you can do an emergency stop. You also need to be comfortable sitting in the car for the length of time your journey will take.

I was driving short distances to work part time but it was super light traffic and ten minutes away.
I was surprised at how nervous I was too. Not for my driving ability...for all those other fools out there.

You want to make sure that OS has you cleared for driving ...so insurance will be happy in case of any incident.
Do you have a post op appointment soon?
 
Hello mojo333 thank you for your reply , it is my left hip , I was thinking just a short drive I have a manual car but could use an automatic if I wanted to , I have a follow up appointment on the 20th of feb which is a good amount of time away yet probably be back to work by then , I’m only taking ibuprofen and paracetamol and that’s only after I’ve done my exercises and walked so I mainly have a clear head , I could do an emergency stop easily I was wondering more from if I were to cause damage to my new hip by driving to soon and maybe not Jeopardising full recovery in the long run ? Kind wishes k
 
I don't know how much resistance your clutch has...but not likely to hurt your hip.
If it is too much. Might make things sore. Try a short jaunt maybe? Of course best bet would be go with the automatic first.
I'm glad you are being cautious as there is still lots of healing happening, but that hip is going to be good to go.
:driver:
 
I was wondering when is it possible to drive as I feel I could do a short trip very soon I am 4 weeks Monday just gone is this to soon ?
I strongly recommend you do not drive until you are released to do so by your surgeon. This is usually done at your follow up appointment.

The reason is that if you did have an accident your insurance would not cover you. In any case I don't think a new hip would like a manual car.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom