THR Struggling with Recovery - THR

I had both ultrasound sound & MRI on my hip when I had a setback shortly after my one year anniversary. I actually ended up with 2 MRI’s within short window of time because when radiologist looked at first MRI results she saw something else which turned out to be nothing to be concerned with. But when radiologist determines another test it necessary insurance has to approve.
My insurance denied first MRI ordered by new doctor I went to in Boston at Mass General/Brigham. The OS had been recommended to me from a doctor friend. They actually attended medical school together. I received a notice in mail saying MRI had been denied and called his office and his Assistant told me not to worry. Doctor WILL get approval.
And he did.
As I’ve mentioned before there was nothing wrong with my hip. I have spinal stenosis and was referred to spine surgeon also at Brigham. He said no surgery was necessary but I could do pain injections which I scheduled but by the time the appointment rolled around a few weeks later I was totally fine so I never did the injections.
I’ve only had one cortisone shot in my knee years ago that helped. Had one in my shoulder years ago which did nothing. And they give me terrible headaches.
 
Let me know if anyone has any insight
Consider typing in key words for any of the conditions or procedures you mentioned by using the SEARCH at the top right of the page. All threads where any of what you've listed above, are mentioned, will pop up.
I hope you find answers soon that lead to resolution for you. I'm sorry this is dragging on and for the ongoing pain you're struggling with. Best wishes only.
 
I had an MRI about a month ago for lower back pain and lateral hip pain on my operated side. I have a hybrid hip implant & despite their best efforts, the metal caused too much noise to effectively scan the hip. In the end the consultant just prodded my left side and announced the pain maybe to do with scar tissue and he would refer me for an injection in the trochanter (or something like that!) which I'm having on Wednesday.

Regarding my back pain. They did find nerve compression in the lumbar spine but seemed unconcerned about this. Fortunately my physio was more helpful and has been giving me pressure therapy which has helped a lot.

If the cortisone shots in the hip help significantly with both hip and back pain then I'll know the two were connected. But if not, then it maybe something that the MRI was unfortunately unable to scan bc of the metal implant.
 
After wasting 2 months thinking my ongoing and worsening hip pain was likely caused by a back issue, it has now been ruled out.

Originally, I got a L5-S1 and SI lidocaine shots at the same time but then when we did the shots separately, nothing happened. Meanwhile my hip pain continues to get worse.

I got a 3rd opinion from a Hip Surgeon today and he suggested I consider a few things in no particular order.

-Right Lumbar Sympathetic Nerve Block - could be atypical CRPS?

-Nerve Conduction Study - could be an issue with the gluteal nerves

-Gluteus Medius Tear

-Botox Injections - Lots of Stiffness

-Hip Aspiration (low suspicion) to rule out deep infection

Let me know if anyone has any insight or ideas to add. The nerve block, nerve conduction study, and botox I can do with my pain management doctor.

Has anyone ever had an MRI done on their hip replacement? The hip surgeon I got an opinion from today said that he doesn't do those because the metal is too shiny and the new MARS technology doesn't seem to help much in his opinion. What about an ultrasound? Could that be helpful?
Hi, I did a nerve conduction study today and there was no issue. I also tried lidocaine shots around the hip to see if Botox might help but they didn't do anything either.

Next week I am going to do an MRI - seems like there's a chance it could be a soft tissue issue like Gluteus Medius Tear. This week I'm going to do a trial on a PNS - Peripheral Nerve Stimulator - to see if I can get the pain down to a reasonable level.
 
I hope you hit upon a solution soon! Sounds like you have a few possibilities.
 
Hi jefro,
I hope your trial went well this week and I wish you the best with the MRI next week. Keep us posted.
Wishing you a peaceful weekend!
@jefro
 
Hi jefro,
I hope your trial went well this week and I wish you the best with the MRI next week. Keep us posted.
Wishing you a peaceful weekend!
@jefro
Thanks. The trial for the Nalu PNS stimulator isn't going so great. It has helped some with daytime pain but not my early morning pain, which is the worst. My MRI is scheduled for this Friday. Also, the trial procedure helped identify which nerves are inflamed near the hip so they should be a good candidate for cortisone injections I would think.
 
I am sorry the trial isn't going well for you. I wish you luck with your MRI today. Let us know how it goes.
Wishing you a weekend of comfort.
@jefro
 
I got my MRI back it said there is some swelling around the glute tendons and some muscle atrophy but my Hip Surgeon said that this is normal and that there is nothing wrong and assured me that I will get better.

I'm taking 4 oxy a day plus OTC meds and I'm so miserable I can't even work.

How can there be nothing wrong if I'm taking opioids 6.5 months after hip replacement and I'm in so much pain I can barely get around on a walker?
 
Interesting. Well are you considering getting a 2nd opinion?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry, jefro.
I hope answers and relief are on their way to you soon. Wishing you peace and comfort.
@jefro
 
I saw another surgeon today. He thinks its denervation of the gluteal muscles and he said there is nothing he can do about it.

He was hoping something would show up on the MRI but it didn't. He referred me to another surgeon to see if they can help.

Sounds like I'm in big trouble with no end in sight.
 
If this is the case, you may want to consult with a neurosurgeon and/or neurologist to see if there are any options for you other than physical therapy.
 
If this is the case, you may want to consult with a neurosurgeon and/or neurologist to see if there are any options for you other than physical therapy.
Hi Jamie,

I'm meeting with my pain management doctor next week, who is a neurologist, so we'll see what he says. I read on-line that some doctors do cortisone shots on the abductors to get the pain down if it's real bad like mine but both the surgeons I saw said that they don't do that. Maybe I need to see a Sports Medicine doctor as well. Maybe they can help. I'm also going to get an assessment from a Physical Therapist next week. Sounds like I need to do PT to get better but I'm in so much pain, it will be challenging.
 
I feel for you. Don’t give up. It is possible that one or more of these options may help. So sorry you’re having to go through this.
 
I'm meeting with a PT person today to get an assessment. Hopefully they can help me start to activate my weak glute muscles. I'm worried it will make my pain worse but I'm going to try and push on through, seems like my only real chance of recovery.
 
I'm really hoping you get some help from the PT! Don't give up, keep pushing for a solution.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom