THR Struggling with Recovery - THR

I am sorry you continue to struggle. Please let us know how the appointment went.
Wishing you comfort.
@jefro
 
I had my PT assessment today and my first session starts Monday. The focus will be on increasing my range of motion using manual manipulation and cupping. Once we get the range of motion improved, then we'll slowly add strengthening exercises. It seems like a good place with a lot of modalities including chiro/massage/PT background.

I also got approved for a DRG stimulator trial with my pain management doc.
 
I'm impressed with the breadth of modalities offered!

Some people dislike cupping. I love it. The best body worker I ever had wouldn't start work on my back without first cupping it to start relaxing the muscles and it was so effective.
I'm curious if your providers will likewise cup before manipulation. Let us know!
 
I hadn't heard of cupping. Just looked it up, I can imagine how that could help. I do hope you will soon experience some relief from the pain!
 
Good Luck on Monday! Wishing you the best and hope you'll come back soon to share a report on your progress. We're rooting for you! :thumb:
@jefro
 
Good Luck on Monday! Wishing you the best and hope you'll come back soon to share a report on your progress. We're rooting for you! :thumb:
@jefro
Thanks Layla! I think the idea is to use the cupping to help loosen up the muscles and get the blood flowing then we can do more manipulation and eventually some gradual strengthening exercises. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Monday is my first session, we are going to measure my range of motion and probably some other stuff too.
 
I'm making some progress with my PT. The first session increased my range of motion right away. The PT person did some manual movements to loosen things up and some scrapping on the scar tissue.

The 2nd session we did more scrapping, manipulation, and cupping. I've been able to walk farther and my range of motion has increased a lot. My hip flexor has loosened up a lot but I still have a long ways to go to build up my muscles and loosen up my hip and quad. But 1 week in I am going in the right direction and am cautiously optimistic I'm on the right track.
 
This is really positive news. I’m happy to see this therapy is working for you so quickly. But you’re right to recognize that the final goal may take a while. Have patience!
 
Fantastic news! So glad you have seen improvement so quickly, hopefully a very good sign you are on the right track
 
Thank goodness. This is wonderful news! I'm happy for you and sense your optimism.
May it only get better, jefro. :thumb:
@jefro
 
Hi Everyone,

My first 3 sessions went great and I was able to walk up to 2 miles on the Walker and the pain was doing well.
Then in my 4th session we tried to do a little of the exercise bike but that has caused a flair up (i think because my tight quads didn't like it) so I've been in a lot of pain the past 5 days, which has been really frustrating. So, we are going to avoid the bike for a while and start shockwave therapy tomorrow. My quads are really struggling to loosen up so hopefully this will help. If feels like 2 steps forward, 1 step back. I've been though so much it's hard not to get down.
 
I would feel a bit down too! It's a hard climb through this kind of rehabilitation. On a positive side you seem to have a very good PT. It's a shame the cycle set off your quad but now you know and it's being addressed. Think of it as one more piece in the pain puzzle identified. Knowing how and why it reacted under certain circumstances is a potential leap forward... Just not fun when finding out has caused a flare up! I hope you get a boost from the shockwave therapy and get back on track. Take heart, rehabilitation, like early recovery can look like a tangled rope rather than the tidy ladder we want to see. With endurance, patience and good help I'm sure you will get there!
 
It's understandable that you're frustrated. These flares don't mean you're failing, you just need to switch gears. Your body is taking the time IT needs to heal and you will continue to make progress. Remember this is a journey and there's still time and room for improvement. Soon you'll look back and see how far you've come. You are moving forward even if it feels slow right now.
Hang in there and good luck tomorrow. Thanks for the update and for sharing your healing journey with all.
@jefro
 
This recovery road is a series of celebrations & letdowns.
Your body is sending you the information on what it doesn’t like right now.
So for now the bike is out.
Yes, it’s frustrating. Cause some days you have pain & you didn’t even do anything different. That’s when you really get annoyed.
Good luck today, keep us posted.
 
I had my 6th session today, it was the first using shockwave therapy so we'll see how that goes. It is supposed to reduce inflammation and pain. If all goes well, I'll do 5 sessions. It was pretty painful, but hopefully it will be worth it. Anyone had experience with shockwave therapy?
 
Sorry it was painful, hopefully it pays off. I will follow with interest and my fingers crossed. :fingersx:
Keep us in the loop and enjoy the weekend, jefro!
@jefro
 
The shockwave therapy is supposed to be painful, you keep it on the painful spots until they calm down. I didn't feel any soreness the next day. Usually people start to feel some pain relief after 2 or 3 sessions. Hopefully it helps!
 
It amazes me all the various treatments that are available. I sometimes wish I was a professional athlete & had all the treatment options they are afforded. I watched a series about quarterbacks & it was eye opening.
Can I please go there for one day & sit in whirlpool, get massaged, etc. Even the ice bath looked appealing.
 
I had my 6th session today, it was the first using shockwave therapy so we'll see how that goes. It is supposed to reduce inflammation and pain. If all goes well, I'll do 5 sessions. It was pretty painful, but hopefully it will be worth it. Anyone had experience with shockwave therapy?
I had shockwave therapy for gluteal tendiopathy. I didn't find it painful at all. But I have a fairly high pain tolerance! Unfortunately I think the damaged tendons were too deep for it to have a long term positive effect. However it also didn't make it worse. It also takes time for it to work, so you probably won't feel the effect for a while.

My consultant has now suggested acupuncture, which if I'm honest I'm fairly cynical about. But I'll try anything once! So I'll start that in a few weeks. If you want to know how I get on (in case your shockwave therapy doesn't work) I'll post an update on my progress on my own thread.
 
A lot of people find shockwave therapy painful, but it varies from person to person. My 2nd session was painful but not as bad since I was used it a bit. I've done acupuncture for a while. It helps with relaxation and sleep but hasn't seemed to help with pain at all.

The PT people said usually people notice pain reduction after 2 or 3 shockwave therapy sessions but obviously everyone is different.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom