Guest viewing is limited

THR Struggling after emergency THR

@benne68 and @Jamie - So I am going with my gut and the sound advice I have found here. Ya'll make much more sense than automatically going to shots and possible surgery (again). I don't like to rule out medical because it is a life-saver. However, I don't want to rule out my instincts. So like ya'll said - I would be able to tell by the first appointment. Dually noted on the discomfort which can still be initially experienced on the trigger point therapy and the difference in therapies.
So I went back and I've scheduled a trigger point therapy with the therapist I had mentioned. It will be a 1/2 hour and she does get booked quickly but that is a good sign to me. The first available is April 8th. I'll keep you updated and thank you so much for checking in on me. It really means a lot to me and I don't feel so "alone" with this.
 
We are honored to be able to help you! That is what BoneSmart is here for. I’ll be eagerly awaiting the outcome of your first therapy session. Hope it goes well for you. I do agree that it’s a good sign when it’s a bit difficult to get in to see a particular therapist.
 
@Jamie and @mendogal and @benne68 - so update on my first session with the trigger point therapist. I liked her and she seemed knowledgeable. She certainly found the tender areas. I was quite surprised on how tender and tight my shin, ankle and foot were! So she found areas I was not even aware of because I focus my attention on the pain most calling at me - my groin area and inner thigh.
So I can't say I felt any major difference and she mainly worked on the front area - groin, hips, quads, inner thigh and shin/ankle. She said it takes time to find the focus point of where the pain may be coming because it is not always so obvious. The next 1/2 hour session she said she would focus on my back hip and lower back. I did feel it a bit the next day - nothing major. I felt a bit stiffer and a bit sore.
I wish there was a magic button but I have committed to myself to be open minded and keep with it for at least a month (2x a week @ 1/2 hour) until I get the cortisone shot at the end of April.
I have some good days and bad. I do try to note when I am doing more things and able to get out more. My walking is STILL limited by small steps and limited walking however it seems my stamina and energy is better. I can put my socks and shoes on, and pick things off the floor, etc. So those things ARE to be noted (to myself). My next session is Saturday for 1/2 hour.
My inner motivation is...I repeat to myself - "Nine times down, Ten times up...just keep moving." I hit my 6 month mark next week.
 
That's an encouraging update @BlueSkiesHere - it definitely takes more than one session. I encourage a bit extra hydration and rest in the hours afterwards, followed the day after by a little very slow gentle stretching of the areas she worked.
 
It’s great news that you found someone you like who seems to know how to find those trigger points. That’s soooo important! I suspect it may take a while before you really notice a difference. At first the difference will be that she is not able to find as many painful points as you progress with the sessions. Having her treat the points that you didn’t even realize were a problem will help with your overall pain and stiffness. I’ll be looking for your updates.
 
So this is scary and disconcerting. This morning all of a sudden my leg is buckling. This is totally new and though it has been and still painful taking those few steps forward before having the groin/inner thigh pain, I felt stable. However every few steps this morning the sensation is from the groin/upper right hip down the front of the thigh near the inner knee there is a sensation it just gives way. Like I have no muscle or support in that area and I've had to catch myself because the leg does not support! I can move the leg, sit down and get up but it is just walking forward. I have a crutch out now to support walking because I don't want to fall but I don't want to "snap" anything because the leg just moves forward without control or support. Very weird. Very scared!

I have a message into my After Care PA but it is Saturday. What can I do?

I have my iliopsoas muscle injection this Wednesday. I have not improved any at all since my last visit with the PA and it is taking 5 weeks for me to just get the shot which is Wednesday. I saw my General Practitioner on Thursday and discussed the situation with her and asking her advice. She was QUITE surprised I had not seen an actual Orthopedic Surgeon since my partial hip replacement in October. She says I need to see the actual doctor and not just a PA. I had requested an appointment with the doctor but the front office cancelled it saying I could only see one person in the practice. Which is the PA who has been working with me. The PA says she consults with the orthopedic surgeon but it is not the same as having a one on one conversation with the doctor. I've asked for an appointment with the doctor and if I can't get an appointment with him - a referral to someone else (orthopedic surgeon) who can review my case.

I'm scared. Has anyone else experienced this? Can it be a pinched nerve or tendon?
 
Hello BlueSkiesHere,
I am sorry you're experiencing this and understandably you're frightened. I regret not having an answer for you, but I am glad that you have a call into your OS to speak with the PA on call. This sounds like something that needs to be evaluated soon. It shouldn't matter that it's the weekend and I'm sure someone is on call. You may need some type of imaging to see what's going on. I'd stop weight bearing until you speak with someone and you're cleared to do so. Using a walker or crutches when you need to is wise in an effort to avoid further pain, or injury. Please let us know what you hear once they return your call.
@BlueSkiesHere
 
Absolutely use a walker if at all possible for now to be sure you are fully guarded against a fall. A single crutch might not be adequate if you were to actually experience buckling in the joint. The buckling feeling is one that can be felt when muscles are weak. Sometimes it happens when a person overdoes things. But it doesn’t usually appear this far out from surgery. It doesn’t sound like there is any pain associated with the feeling and that is good. Just rest as much as possible until you get in to see your doctor.

You need to complain to the surgeon’s office about being told that you can only see one person in the practice. You ARE under the care of one person….that would be your surgeon. The PA is an “assistant” to that person. But you have every right to see the surgeon if you have problems.
 
Hello @BlueSkiesHere, how good you have the support of the wonderful people on this forum to turn to. I am so sorry to hear of your experience and can only echo the advice from @Jamie and @Layla. I can just imagine how scary this must be for you and to happen over the Easter holidays is just an added frustration. I hope you get a good medical assessment and assistance asap and that the situation is sorted. I really feel for you and am sending lots of positive thoughts your way over the waters between our countries! :loveshwr:
 
Last edited:
Thank you @Layla, @Jamie and @Cillacat. I appreciate you guys checking in with me. That scared me. So for now the stability has seemed to "right" itself somewhat but I'm still using the crutch just to be super safe. Whatever that was strained the quad muscle on the hip surgery side so it is tender. It was early morning when it happened so I get out of bed SUPER stiff until I let my body naturally warm up. @Jamie it does feel like muscle weakness. I will push for the orthopedic surgeon appointment and if they won't see me I'll ask for another doctor in the practice. If I still have difficulty I can contact my General Practitioner and she will further advocate for me. She also recommended me to talk with the gentleman who gives me the shot on Wednesday. He has been at the practice for many years and she says is very good. He will know how to navigate the system, also.

At this point I don't which is worse, fighting the feeling of being out of commission and sedentary or the fighting of the depression. I did talk with the GP about the depression and as I was leaving she said, "Your glass is half full or half empty right now. You need to focus on the half full. This is a mechanical problem and can be fixed. I see patients who come in from one year to another and they have had a heart attack or stroke and are never the same again. Your glass is half full, remember that." ON that - my annual physical everything else looked good. I can be thankful for that.
 
What a great GP you have!!! That was excellent advice and I’m pleased to hear that she is willing to help you with your surgeon.
 
Great news and what empathy from your GP. That's a real blessing to have that kind of support. My tip for what it is worth is the same. Don't try and eat the whole apple in one go! Take a small bite, consider, chew and digest before moving on to the next bite. There is no one alive who can avoid negative emotions if they try to focus on everything at the same time.

Maybe it would help to imagination a line of half full glasses. Pick up the one most aligned to the challenge of the particular moment at hand. The others can await their turn. Look at that glass of the moment and be solution focused. I think you'll see it fill up before your very eyes.

All the best ... Onwards and upwards :flwrysmile:
 
Ok, for what it's worth. And I'll also start by saying you need to see OS & discuss absolutely cause we are not doctors just folks that have had hip replacements (most of us).
My GF had this happen to her. Out of nowhere. It is very frightening.
She sought medical advice & she had almost no magnesium in her system. Now I'm not saying that's your issue but be sure you are staying on top of healthy diet & drinks with electrolytes as well as potassium.
Lack of certain anti oxidants & minerals can really affect your body.
Please keep us posted.
She ended up needing some IV fluids in ER & was ok after that.
 
ON that - my annual physical everything else looked good. I can be thankful for that.
Yes! That is always a blessing and your GP shared an insightful reason to remain optimistic. I wish you the best with your psoas injection on Wednesday and hopefully some informative conversation during that appointment also.

I understand this isn't the pace you hoped for, nor recovery you dreamed of and I'm really sorry it's been tough for you. Please remember that healing isn't linear, or a race, slower doesn't mean you're failing, it just means your body is taking the time it needs to rebuild in it's own way. Better days are coming, even if they're taking longer than you had hoped. Hang in there! :SUNsmile:
 
Well, I had my iliopsoas muscle injection which they did by ultrasound. It was not too bad. My projections had it much worse than it was. I'm quite surprised how sore I am from the injection which he warned me I would be and am taking it easy today. The numbing only lasted 45 minutes so I really did not have enough time to see if it was "working" or not. I mean it felt a bit better of the walking, but nothing earth shattering. They said it would take a day or two for me to probably notice any difference so I'm in the waiting game again. Mainly I'm letting the soreness go down from the injection. I'm not quite sure what to expect.
Anyone else had experience with this type injection? @Hip4life I believe you said you had injections?
 
Fingers crossed you find relief soon. :fingersx:
While you're waiting for a response from, Hip4life, you can try the SEARCH at the top right of the page typing in key words such as "psoas injection" and threads will pop up where the injection was mentioned.
Wishing you the best!
@BlueSkiesHere
 
Positive vibes being sent your way! I do hope the injection is effective once the initial discomfort has gone. I remember how uncomfortable my stomach was with those blood thinning injections... They're nothing in comparison so although I have no experience of your injection, it seems logical that initially it's going to be quite uncomfortable. Here's hoping that clears after a couple of days and you experience a massive benefit.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom