THR Struggling after emergency THR

I'm baaaacccckkkkk. I want to continue to update on this hip replacement and the "journey" which feels like it is around in circles. I think it is important to also sharing what I'm finding out as I heal so that if anyone else is experiencing it...they might have a clue on what the problem/solution is and what the next step could be.
So an update to my THR which happened last October 2024. On July 28th, 2025 I have had a hip revision with complications. But first...

I continued to have frustrations and unanswered questions with the PA of the OS I was seeing and they continued to refuse to let me see the OS. Long story short...we have a friend of the family who is a Trauma orthopedic surgeon at Emory Hospital in Atlanta, Georga who recommended an OS in Emory Atlanta he trusts and recommends and got me an appointment the NEXT day with the OS. Thank heaven for great hospitals and family friends.

After passing all my records to the new OS, on the first appointment JUST by reading the X-rays they took (again) he saw that the cup had slipped and was causing the inner jabbing pain when I walked a few steps. The first visit! To make sure this was the problem since I had a cortisone shot from the other OS office in the iliopsoas muscle which did not help at all, he ordered a shot which only lasted 2 hours and no cortisone - just numbed the area near the groin and had me walk for a couple of hours around a shop. For almost 1 1/2 hours I could walk normal, no stabbing pain. It was miraculous when it happened. Diagnosis - failed partial hip replacement.

He recommended two things - the choice to see if I could live with the pain (which I could not - I could not walk more than a few steps) or a total hip replacement (revision). His expertise is in knee/hip replacements and revisions. So he is "legit". I asked if I could have it done sooner than later and the said that would not be a problem. Hence July 28th, 2025.

HOWEVER, complication occurred and I'm SO glad it was not a community doctor because the bones were soft and as he replaced the socket and cup (the replaced femur was correct and left) the hip bone broke and I was in surgery for about 3 hours with a blood transfusion. He ended up putting a larger cup in with seven screws to hold in place. I am SO grateful I was in this hospital with this surgeon and not the first unknown surgeon from the accident.

This surgeon and his office have been buttoned up. Immediate responses, immediate appointments from day one. Just so professional.

So...here I am in my 7th week and he has me toe touch weight bearing on a walker and the first two weeks were non weight bearing. He wants to make SURE the bone growth and hip are stabilized and I see him again at 8th week. I actually have seen the PA once at two weeks and then I saw the surgeon again in the next two weeks, so this will be my third appointment with the surgeon for checking up. The head trip, the fear, the walker and shoulders are singing with strain. He has ordered NO PT at all until he okays it. The next appointment he will see about beginning partial weight bearing. He said for now it is just rest, elevation and ice....and time.

Long story - but here I am currently. This is not a picnic. I am not able to get around at all expect from the bathroom to the bed to the recliner in my bedroom sitting, etc. Mainly because of the strain on my shoulders, hands and upper arms. It as really caused some pain so I've modified what I do to the short walker trips to keep moving but also protecting my shoulders and hands - which I will need for further recovery.

Whew.
 
Last edited:
Oh my…..what a story! I’m so thankful for your friend who was able to get you in to see the “right” surgeon. It makes all the difference in the world. It sounds like your case was way beyond the experience level of your first surgeon. This shows why having a second set of eyes on a problem joint is so important.

It does sound like you’re having a good recovery so far, though. Hang in there. The rough parts will be over soon.
 
I'm sure I'm not the only hippie on here cringing at your story! You've been through quite a time of it and my heart goes out to you. Thank goodness, you were in the right place at the right time regarding medical contacts.

We seem to have a run on painful arms, hands and shoulders on here at the moment. It's no fun and I know from personal experience difficulty to compensate for. Do you have a massage gun and or heat pads? I found giving my arms, hands and shoulders a little TLC helped just a little. At the end of a hip ice session my shoulder or hand got a little go. I had my massage gun on my shoulder and palm of hand, that helped too. I tried a little heat on my shoulder and that was often soothing. No magic answers I'm afraid. It sounds like you are doing pretty much all you can.
 
Well at least you got answers & a solution. Very good. We need to advocate for ourselves.
Now recovery might take a while but you have the 2nd surgery behind you & just concentrate on the healing journey.
We are here when needed.
Stay well.
 
Whew is right! Quite the journey you've been on. I'm sorry for the pain you struggled with, but it seems this story is heading toward a happy ending. Woohoo:xmark:
I wish you continued healing and hope you'll keep sharing wonderful stories of your progress.
Have a great week!:SUNsmile:
@BlueSkiesHere
 
Thank you all for the healing wishes. I remember going into the second surgery thinking "I just have to hunker down and do it". Easier said than done. All the advice on this forum really comes to fruition on this journey. Not pushing, trusting my body WILL heal, following doctor's instructions. All I can really do right now is just let the body do its thing until I am at the point I can start to do partial weight bearing. @Deni444 when I can start weight bearing a bit that will help the shoulders, arms and hands the most - as you seem to well know. The heating pad is my new best friend. That seems to do the trick along with gentle shoulder and hand stretches I learned from a PT person a few years back. There is really no point in trying to "walk" long distances right now since all it does is stress the shoulders. I get up and move around a bit every hour to keep my body from getting too stiff.

This is TOTALLY unknown territory for me. The OS certainly has "put the fear of God" in me on letting the bones have their healing time and if it hurts DONT DO IT. He and his PA both told me (as the forum says) that really there is not much exercise you need to do for the hips - walking will be the best therapy. Now if I can JUST get to that walking part.

Thank you all.
 
Hi again BSH,
Please let your OS determine when its safe to move from toe-touch weight bearing, to more weight.
Only he knows what was done inside your joint and what your body needs as protection while you're healing. He has a record of the extent of the repair, the quality of your bone and materials used. You don't want to risk stressing the repair or loosening any hardware. You're coming along nicely and you don't want to do anything to jeopardize that. Sounds like only one more week until your next appointment. Hang in there. You're doing as you were instructed which is great! :thumb:
 
My goodness, I cringed reading your story. I'm so glad you found the correct surgeon for the job. I do love that your listening to the advice you were given. Bones need to heal, and you can't hurry that process.

Your doing great. Keep us informed on this journey.
 
Thank goodness you were in the hands of an expert trauma surgeon, @BlueSkiesHere. No one could be better suited to deal with what happened during your procedure.

I know you have a long road ahead, but you will improve -- with time. Try to exercise that Patience Muscle. And celebrate the fact that you are on the healing side now and are under the care of a specialist.
 
Thank you all again. I'll exercise that patience muscle, @benne68 for sure. I've come too far in this process to ruin it. @Layla and thanks for confirmation to follow instructions. He has warned me that it will be a longer recovery so I just need to trust the process. Last visit he showed us the X-rays and went into great explanations on the complications and why we are taking it slow. That got my attention!
@eaglemom ...at 70...the bones seem to be slower to heal for sure. :)
 
You're welcome, BSH. I don't want to see you do anything to stall your recovery. Thankfully you're trusting the process and your OS. It sounds like you have a good one given the time he took explaining the revision. I know this recovery is hard work and likely feels like a slog and frustrating at times, but through your OS's instruction you're protecting the repair so you're healing strong and steady. It's not about the speed, it's about healing the right way and you are doing it! Best Wishes for the appointment next week. :)
@BlueSkiesHere
 
@BlueSkiesHere My what a journey! It sounds like you're finally heading in the right direction, though. Like @benne68 said, patience is a precious commodity but needs to be used. When I had my hip tendons repaired, I was on toe-touch weight bearing for six weeks. I remember how sore my shoulders and hands got with just that. So hang tough until next week and hopefully you'll get a little bit less of a challenge than now. Make sure you're padding those handles, as well. At a certain point, I was able to switch to crutches as my weight bearing progressed. That helped some with the shoulders but not so much the hands and wrist. Even though the crutches were ultimately easier for me to navigate with, it took some courage to switch. Lol. Ice and heat can be our best friends for the other joints that get in on the party here. Blessings for continued good healing and comfort.
 
Thank you @Hip4life. I can tell you know how LOOOONG that six weeks can feel. I really cringed at 4 weeks when he extended to eight weeks. Heating pad seems to be my best friend on the shoulders and arms - I've kept that thing going. I did try the crutches but had a couple of near falls so I decided to just put them down and stay with the walker. It's not like you are building up any muscles on that toe touch weight bearing so "clocking the miles". doesn't feel necessary until I start some weight bearing. I guess I kind of feel like the real walking recovery doesn't start until I can put weight on it. I'm looking at it as this part of my recovery is just all inner. :)
I sure am sore though. Even though I'm not weight bearing, I can feel some "work" has been done on the right hip. It's all sensitive and sore as would be expected.
 
Morning
I was on LWB for 4 weeks after my 6 week check up revealed I still had a small fracture.
It’s no walk in the park that s for sure. The walker will give you the support you need. I just cannot use crutches. I’d hurt myself worse if I had to get around on those.
Once you are off LWB maybe look into some walking sticks. I transitioned to the cane but always had interest in the walking sticks especially for uneven surfaces.
 
@myglasshalffull thank you so much for the recommendation. Yes - the crutches and I are not the best of friends. I've used them before but the the TTWB I can't seem to keep my balance as much.
 
Just catching up.... What a saga and what a relief you got the referral you needed!!!!
I agree that you should check in with your new team about when it may be appropriate to switch to a walker.
 
@mendogal I actually have been on a walker the entire time. Because of the pain in my shoulders/upper arms I had tried the crutches (just a bit) and they are unstable so I've been on the walker entirely. I use the crutches only to get down two steps out of the house and back into the house. For some reason I've felt unstable on the crutches. I've had a couple of near falls on those crutches so safety first. I have an appointment for my 8 week checkup this Tuesday and he said last appointment we would discuss going to partial weight bearing. Fingers crossed! At this point the shoulders/arms are more painful than the hip!
As for the second opinion - the best thing that ever happened, especially going to someone who specializes in revisions, @Jamie as I remember was the one who advised doing that more than once.
 
Best Wishes for your appointment on Tuesday, BlueSkiesHere. Crossing fingers with you for good news regarding partial weight bearing. :fingersx: Let us know how it goes.
I hope you have a nice weekend! :SUNsmile:
@BlueSkiesHere
 
Long post alert: Update from my 8 week check up with surgeon. Yes, I saw the SURGEON not the PA. :)
Everything is still stable and looks in place. He says he is very conservative and I'm not out of the woods. In fact he would not breathe easier until between 6 months and 1 year considering the surgery done. Which is why he said we are taking it so slow.
So for the next two weeks he said I can begin working up to 15% body weight walking on a flat foot. I've only been doing toe touch. If everything feels ok at the two week mark he said I could begin working up to 50% body weight. I would have to gauge it. He said to keep on the walker and maybe switch it up a bit with crutches since I'm having such difficulty with the shoulder/upper arms/hands.
Since the shoulders/upper arms are so painful for me and I need to keep trying to walk about bit more than I have been- he said it might help me to get a cortisone shot in my shoulder to get me through this initial recovery phase because it is still quite a ways before I'm on a cane or full weight bearing. He said it is ok to keep taking my tramadol and I can take one in the day time. I'm thinking it might be better to take up the suggestion for the cortisone shot which will last longer (hopefully) since I still have quite a bit ahead of me. He said think about it and let him know.
So....I've begun the flat foot weight bearing with probably about almost 10% because my muscles - butt, IT muscles, knee and thighs are really stiff and sore - not the the point of pain but enough I know I need to work up slowly even to 15% weight. He still does not want any PT (fine with me) so it's all just getting my muscles use to moving again and walking in a natural flat gait. I know the doctor will have no problem with me taking it as slow as I feel I need.
So good news and still scary to me. I'm really having to just listen to my body, not push it but push through enough fear to make a little progress. Those nerves are singing and popping though!
I see the surgeon again in 4 weeks for X-rays again.
 
This is a good report and I’m glad to hear both you and the surgeon are on the same page about taking things slow. Hang in there…..take things day by day and before you know it you’ll be through this challenge.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom