Guest viewing is limited

THR Struggling after emergency THR

Good to read you were able to see your surgeon and also that he's conservative in his approach to recovery. I hope that gives you a measure of confidence during this healing process and slowly eases any apprehension as you continue to increase weight bearing and enjoy progress. Best Wishes!
@BlueSkiesHere
 
@Layla thank you. Actually I am still very apprehensive. I don't want to overdo it and I'm easing into all this. However after two weeks non-weight and then 6 weeks toe touch weight, just walking flat foot and maybe somewhere between 5% and 10% weight, I'm pretty sore. I'd say on a scale of 1 to 10 - I'm at 4.
It's like everything has woke up. I've not been moving much at all on that hip side so it's very tight. Everything is "feeling". Thigh, groin, buttocks, side hip - sore and even the nerves seem to be burning and having that tingling sensation. All this is just scaring me because I'm not sure if all this is natural.
Just from 3 days I'm pretty sore and achey. I'm taking the tramadol and Tylenol as the doctor has prescribed and trying to move a bit forward by the "walking" weight added and concentrating more on movement and loosening up then concerning myself about distance or strengthening.
Not having the pressure of PT is VERY nice however, it is scary because I'm left to really listening to my body and not "flipping out". However, in the recovery notes - it does say the body WILL heal itself and that most things are just passing and will resolve itself.
This recovery is a bit different because of the second hip surgery within the year and screws added this time. Plus usually folks are walking and starting to put weight down immediately. I'm not sure I have anyone to compare this to.
I know one thing...I'll take it slower to reassure myself rather than push.
 
All this is just scaring me because I'm not sure if all this is natural.
Try not to worry, what you describe is completely normal. All the soft tissue in your leg (and even your back) have been forced out of their normal alignment as your body has coped with the hip's need -- both pre- and post- op. As you continue to weight-bear, those muscles, tendons and ligaments will be called upon to do things they haven't done in a while and so they are going to protest until they can adapt to the changes. Be sure to continue to use walking aids; that will help.
Give yourself some grace. You've been through a lot. :flwrysmile:
 
@benne68 Just what I needed to hear! AND from someone who knows first hand. OK. I'll relax. I will definitely keep using my walker as he indicated.
Grace. I like that.
I'm glad your recent surgery has gone well, also!
 
You're a champ considering all you've been through over the past year. Two major surgeries within nine months!
Good to read you'll take a relaxed approach as you continue healing.
All the best...enjoy the weekend!
@BlueSkiesHere
 
Ok ladies. Breathe. Just breathe. Do not panic nor create drama. :)
We are approaching the one week point tomorrow with the entire foot down walking "motion" and EVERYTHING is singing and zinging and sore! I've backed off putting more than 2% (maybe) for weight bearing because I got too sore and the doctor said - if it hurts don't do it. Every nerve ending near that surgery and hip revision has made its appearance. Constantly moving and changing on its whim.
I'm finding after all that non-weight bearing that my body mechanics are off, nerves are really waking up - burning, zinging, ants crawling, soreness. My lower back is on the right hip replacement side has had a couple of sharp jabs and as I back off - I believe it is just lack of muscle strength and of course surgery recovery and lack of use. Ice pack and heating pad seems to help with me just taking it even slower.
Part of me thinks - how on EARTH will my body get out of this mess and regain movement, balance and strength. This is where @benne68 mention of grace comes in.
The no PT exercises (at all for now) per doctor is still in effect so I'm just trusting as I begin to "walk" and move the best I can - that will serve it's purpose and let the body heal and recover at its on pace.
This is not for sissies.
 
Good job listening to your body and responding correctly. I agree with you that it’s going to take plenty of time for things to settle down, but you’ve got this!
 
@Jamie Thanks to the support of folks like you. It's amazing how readily Bonesmart's staff wisdom pops up in the brain now. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. You guys are a lifeline.
 
:heehee: Once a BoneSmartie, always a BoneSmartie! Your reinforcement of what we do here is awesome and much appreciated.
 
Yes, breathe, and let all this nerve and soft tissue weirdness sort itself out. Don't do more than is tolerated.
And be aware if there's a lot of sensory nerve stuff that's overwhelming, there are prescription meds specific for nerve pain or overreactions you can discuss with your doctor. Same if you start having muscle spasms (over the counter magnesium does help some members as well).
 
Thanks @mendogal . I think I'll give it a couple more days and if it does not settle down on the burning and zinging I'll reach out for some prescription meds.
 
We are like toddlers, relearning how to walk like we did so long ago. Your bodies zings & zaps are part of the waking up everyone speaks about. And learning how to listen to our bodies cues is probably the most difficult part of this entire recovery.
And it seems you are a good student.
So keep going & when you start hurting take a break.
You cannot exercise a hip to heal. Once you heal you will have plenty of time to exercise & return to your everyday activities.
I wish you the best.
 
Oh thank you, @myglasshalffull . Just what I needed to hear this morning to start my day. Thank you for your kind and supportive words. I can't hear enough...you can't exercise a hip to heal. It's a matter of time. :angel:
 
Hi @BlueSkiesHere , just dropping by to add my encouragement. You have gone through so much, but now you have a clear path in front of you. You did the right thing in finding help when the recovery from the partial replacement wasn’t working. Now you need to wait for your body to finish the healing. As you say, it’s a matter of time. I put my time in, with 6 to 12 months after each THR to get to something like normal. My reward came with several active years of not even thinking about my hips. And now I am lying here after a fall, so lucky not to break anything, but back to exercising the old patience muscle. I think the thing that helped me, along with the wonderful support from this forum, was to check in with myself every 10 days and see what had changed for the better. It’s hard to be patient and not try to push the process, but it is so so worth it. Hang in there and all will be well.
 
@Klassy So sorry to hear about your spill! Even hearing about them gives me shutters and I'm glad you are on the mend and did not break anything. I appreciate the encouragement since it appears you have had both hips done. You would know! Several active years...well that is worth the surgery for sure.
Here is to a speedy recovery for you, also and back to your active life. I really appreciate the encouragement.
 
Last edited:
Update and long post alert: I have just passed 11 weeks today. I see my surgeon next week for the 12 week checkup and X-rays to see that everything is still stable including those 7 big screws. Ugh.
I still feel as if I'm progressing very slowly and watching my tendency to panic or "give up". I've been able to put a bit more weight on my foot - at some times I get up to 25 % but will have to back off since everything is tight and sore (no pt as he prescribed). I am using crutches now which definitely has helped me get around more in the house and I feel stable using them now. It has relieved a lot of the shoulder pain I was having with the walker.
I'm still doing one tramadol at night and one in the morning to help with the discomfort and extra strength tylenol every six hours.
It definitely is still nerves, burning, tingling in the upper thigh near the surgery and the lower back pain comes and goes, with sore buttocks. Of course I know this points to femoral nerve and sciatic nerve but my muscles are SO weak from not weight bearing for going on 12 weeks next Tuesday. This is where I have to trust the surgeons recommendation to let it heal in this way. However how can one possibly begin to walk with those muscles so weak?
The other new development of about 4 days ago is my knee (which is a replacement from 3 years ago) on this surgery side is SOOOO tight through the knee and a bit numb and the tingling from the knee down the shin. It loosens up as I move and do light weight bearing with my crutches but I can tell my muscles around the knee are so weak.
I have checked in with my doctor and he said to continue light weight bearing only as tolerated and that it is normal to be sore as I begin to move and place a bit of weight on the hip. I was to do 15% light weight bearing and go to 50% if tolerable from my last visit but my hip has not allowed that much weight. So I'm up to 25% half of the day and still elevating the leg in the afternoons and in rest of the day lighter weight bearing.
I sure am trusting this surgeon because I'm losing so much muscle and strength as I wait for this hip to stabilize and heal. I am so far from walking without support, it just saps me of strength sometimes. When he said it would be a longer recovery...I don't think I had this in mind.
 
I hear you. We're the same age, and it's a little scary sometimes contemplating how quickly we can lose muscle mass, muscle tone, and stamina - and how much longer it seems to take to get back to baseline.

But hang in there @BlueSkiesHere ! Allow that healing to happen at its own pace and trust the process. The time WILL come when you have healed and can focus on regaining.

Meanwhile, a good high protein diet and finding that rest/activity balance will keep your body on track; finding ways to distract and pamper yourself will help your mood.
 
I was 70 when I had my replacement so I get it.
And LWB for 4 weeks at my 6 week check up.
So that’s close to 10 weeks just using a walker & brief walks around the house & some light grocery shopping with my partner cause I couldn’t drive.
It’s going to get better. If you are worried about muscle mass why not try some light hand weights & work your upper body here and there. Something like a 3 pound weight is perfect.
Your body will make the adjustments necessary once you are walking better. We are impatient in recovery & less we can do we have more time to think about every little thing that can go wrong.
Hang in there. We are here for you.
 
@mendogal and @myglasshalffull Thank you so much for your support and advice. It does help hearing sage advice from someone of one's age range. Heard and taken. The high protein diet is something I'm lagging behind in as I"ve lost my appetite a bit. I do have 3 lbs. weights which will certainly support my crutches use. I've been doing my upper stretching movements and can certainly add some weights. I have a nice secure chair to sit in to support me.
Thank you both so much.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom