Revision TKR Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3

So sorry to hear that Pat's friend died and that your friend has to have dialysis. I am not sure if I understand what you are saying. Did/does Pat have cancer? What got messed up? So sorry I guess I missed something here. I am praying for you and Pat.

Pat had cancer at the age of 17. He went through a grueling chemotherapy treatment. Actually at the time, they were comparing two different groups. Pat was in the new drug trial with 24 others, while the other 25 had conventional treatment. Neither side knew which they would get. Pat got so sick on Chemo and one night a nurse came in and started the chemo, but she did not get the needle in his vein. Pat fell asleep, they had him pretty drugged, and his arm started turning black! The doctor came in, realized what was happening, and pulled the line out. Then he took a scalpel, (oh by the way this commotion woke Pat up,) and sliced from the top of the arm all the way to the wrist. He started squeezing and black stuff was going everywhere! By the time he had finished and Pat stopped screaming, there was stuff everywhere!

The doctors told Pat and his family that it had infiltrated everywhere. He has 80% use left in one kidney, 20% left in the other, and some nights he will cry out if he turns over because scar tissue breaks lose in the kidney. His legs look like tree trucks, they are not soft, but hard as rocks, and they put in stents to open the blood flow but told him it was a one time procedure. His have blocked back off, the doctor told him last year that protein was showing up in the kidneys so he was getting worse. He has huge scars on his back, and legs from boils that started showing up! They still use the drug today, it is called bleomycin, and if administered properly will make the person deathly ill, but the results are temporary! Pat's are for life.

As a side note, out of the 50 in the trial, only 1 other person besides Pat has survived!
 
Oh Sonja, what an ordeal Pat has gone through, and still going through. Will Pat have to have a kidney transplant some day?
 
He has already told me no. I even offered to be type matched to him and he said no way. His brother that lives here had a quadrupole bypass, and is ineligible. His other brother also has diabetes like Pat and is ineligible. It would have to be from an outside donor, and he says no. It is a sad situation. He had testicular cancer, and the cure was worse than the cancer! He has had many additional years but at a high price!
 
Sonja, as Debbie says what an ordeal that Pat has gone through and to have it started so young. I am so sorry.
 
Thanks everyone, Pat is a brilliant musician and he was offered a scholarship to Julliard. After chemo though, he lost the feeling in his fingertips and couldn't play like he did. I have heard his UIL competition tapes and he is truly gifted! I can understand why he was offered the scholarship!:yahoo:
 
Sonja, you and Pat certainly have a lot to deal with, that being said, I do believe he has the right angel by his side and that my dear is YOU! God Bless you both my friend!:angel:
 
Well, thank you Jacky! :blush:

You know, with my extreme shyness though, it IS difficult to speak my mind! :whistle:
 
Natalie, thanks for the love and strength, but you need to keep the strength part! I am so excited that soon, you will have your scans and Dr. Maale will see them! He is a magnificent surgeon, but even beyond that, he cares very deeply about each of his patients! :happydance:
 
Ok..well got some bad news about my practicum! This is where I go and donate 125 or 250 hours somewhere. I was going o teach the Peace Maker, do mediations, and divorce mediations for free. Normally the going rate is 200.00 per hour! Anyway, I talked to my pastor, and he said they would love to have me, but the schedule is booked! So, I am trying to think of what I can do now. If you have any ideas I welcome them.

As a side note, I need it to be with in driving distance of 30 miles or less! :whistle: :heehee:
 
Sonya, I don't know anything about your field but I am wondering if you could donate your time to minority, women-owned or disadvantaged businesses? Small businesses that are maybe just starting out but cannot afford to pay for mediation.. That was one thought. Another thought was something like pro-bono work that lawyers do. If you could find a firm that does the type of mediation you are interested in and donate your time to people who need that type of help but cannot afford it. I don't know if you have any battered women's shelters that have transitional housing but they might have need of what you have to offer. Just some ideas that may or may not make sense.
 
Sonja, all great suggestions from Lisa! I especially like the "Battered Women's Shelters", suggestion! Good luck, kiddo!

I would also add anything for abused children!
 
I use to volunteer for the Crisis Center before I got married! I loved what we did to help them, but I hated the situation they were in. One case in particular broke my heart. The "Father" had raped his 5 year old son, and then we found out at the hospital, that he had been doing the same to the 12 year old for years! :yikes: The 5 year old wasn't able to sit, because he was so torn up and was bleeding. The Mom said she didn't know that their Dad had been doing that.

I got the little boy to play checkers with me, he had brought a cowboys and San Francisco board game! It was on Easter when this happened, so we also brought him a stuffed animal, and a basket of candy. He was so excited. When we were playing checkers, he tried to sit down and started to scream. I wrapped my arms around him and told him he was safe now. When they did the test for sexual activity, the nurse came out with tears in her eyes. She told the Mom , and we suggested that she get out of town until her husband could be found.

:hairpulling: She called her family and told them, and her Mom, and three big brothers drove 237 miles in under two hours. When they got to the hospital they dropped her Mom off, and went to "find" her husband. I don't know if they found him, but if they did before the police did, he would have been in a world of hurt himself! I don't blame them!
 
Cases like that are just so sad Sonja. That poor little boy. This world sure has some strange people in it. How could anyone do that to a child.
 
I know Debbie! It broke my heart! I made that the last case I went on. I continued to help with other things, but I just couldn't face the thought of any mores cases like that!

Volunteering my mediation services to the Crisis center is a great idea. I don't know how receptive they will be though. I might try and find a lawyer's office that specializes in family practice and see if they are interested. Any other ideas are still welcomed! I will start in the fall if given permission, but the actual course is in the spring! :happydance:
 
Well Sonja, you could volunteer here, you can council those TKR people that are having trouble with their spouse, or an employer that doesn't understand, or a doctor that won't give us drugs or a therapist that is mean and stupid. :ok:
 
That is a good idea, Debbie. Sonja, can you offer you services at another church? It's obvious your faith is a real source of strength to you. Maybe your pastor can ask around, or maybe he/she can suggest somewhere.
 
Hey, I love Deb's idea! Can that be done?
I don't know, but I will find out! We are supposed to come up with inventive ways to use our new skills and that would be awesome if I could use them in the BoneSmart context. I will have to ask permission from Josephine, first and then on January 2nd I will be contacting my adviser. I sent a request to one lawyer, and CASA, or Court Appointed Special Advocates.
 
Sonja, you might try calling the the human resources office of any federal or state government offices that may be near you. There are sometimes intern programs available.

I was humbled and speechless when I read what Pat has been through. You both need each other at this time in your lives. I hope he can put his faith in God just as you do. As we know, miracles do happen. Bless you both, honey.....
 
Back
Top Bottom