Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3

Sonja, can't your wear an elastic sleeve or whatever they are called that has the padded kneecap protector on it. I bought one from DonJoy. This is the one I got. https://www.betterbraces.com/donjoy-cartilage-knee-sleeve-brace I think it would help your kneecap from slipping. I wore this for months before my surgery so I could continue my exercise program. I put it on a couple times this week and my knee is complaining yet so not sure I am ready for my dvd exercise now.
 
Debbie, I have one that you wrap the first time and is has a c-insert in it. The problem is, the kneecap is pushing under the c-strap. My patella has been resurfaced so many times I'm surprised there is any bone left! This is what causes the problem, and Katie and Chris have both agreed that it is doing more harm than good when we do squats!
 
Why Katie is having you do squats if your knee always pops out while you are doing them? There are other ways to strengthen muscles other than doing squats and I am surprised that she still has you doing them.
I know that last year when I had a hard time with certain exercises due to my back issues, my PT adapted them so my back wasn't affected as much.
Just a thought :)
 
Well Coachie, we are doing a wide range of exercises. I was very pleased today, because when I did the squats today, I didn't hold on to the table like I have been doing! Once I actually straightened my back, and put faith in the knee, it went a lot smoother! I did 3 sets of 15 and only twice did I feel it start to move, so I pushed on it myself to keep from popping out! :happydance:
I have asked Katie to challenge me; I want to get well and get on with the business of fulfilling my "bucket list!" Some of my items require two solid knees! :yahoo:

So, to answer your question in black and white Coachie, Katie knows my goals, what my knee is and is not capable of at this point and she will let me know in a heartbeat if she thinks that we need to change. I trust her and know she is doing what is best for my knee. Some people are different, but I have been and will always be an athletic competitor, and she knows that.
She told me today to scale back on the speed with which I was using my crutches! I was race walking and she reminded me a good pace, not a fast one.

I do appreciate your concern though Coachie! Thanks so much!
 
Makes total sense :)
How long do you need to use crutches for? Is it for stability or pain on walking? After my revision, I fell in the hallway on day 2 during PT due to my leg being numb because of the femoral block. Because of that fall, I ended up using my crutches for about 3 weeks instead of a week like with my original tkrs because I was nervous.
I only got to go to PT for 5 weeks with my revision (as opposed to 10 with both of my tkrs) because my insurance had been cut since I went over my allowed sick time at school and lost a month's worth of salary. I had to go back to school at 6 weeks post op due to that loss of salary- which was WAY too early...

I hear you about being an athletic competitor. Pretty hard to find someone who pushes things more than I do most of the time!
 
Just gotta put my 2 cents worth in here..each of us is different for sure but my knee also did not like squats. When I finally called it and stopped, my knee cap stopped slipping ... maybe a coincidence but just saying.
 
Makes total sense :)
How long do you need to use crutches for? Is it for stability or pain on walking? After my revision, I fell in the hallway on day 2 during PT due to my leg being numb because of the femoral block. Because of that fall, I ended up using my crutches for about 3 weeks instead of a week like with my original tkrs because I was nervous.
I only got to go to PT for 5 weeks with my revision (as opposed to 10 with both of my tkrs) because my insurance had been cut since I went over my allowed sick time at school and lost a month's worth of salary. I had to go back to school at 6 weeks post op due to that loss of salary- which was WAY too early...


I hear you about being an athletic competitor. Pretty hard to find someone who pushes things more than I do most of the time!

Well, from one former coach to a current coach, I am glad you understand! :)

I will be on crutches, until we can get this inside muscle to respond correctly. I use them for stability because the only time I have pain is if the kneecap goes completely to the outside of the knee inside of tracking!

I try to tell people that when I finish with PT, I am going to do some FUN things again! They look at me like I have lost my mind! One asked me "Isn't it good enough just to walk?" I told her, I have a lot of life left to live and it won't just be walking! I am ready to travel, and see things I have never seen before! I am ready to find something that will be challenging for me, besides my Master's.

I did not go through all of this to watch everyone else have fun! I am going to be right along side them. My hubby and I can finally take our Alaskan honeymoon. I could not walk very well by the time we got married, so we postponed the honeymoon.

"Life's a Dance" and I plan on being an active participant! :happydance:
 
Randi,

I understand, but mine is because of the lateral release. We are doing a lot to get it strong, and I am confident that it is getting better. It is a slow process, because, the outside muscle and the quad are so strong, so it is frustrating. I will do anything to make it better! :happydance:
 
Randi,

I understand, but mine is because of the lateral release. We are doing a lot to get it strong, and I am confident that it is getting better. It is a slow process, because, the outside muscle and the quad are so strong, so it is frustrating. I will do anything to make it better! :happydance:

i know---and i'm proud of you ! ( still typing w left hand..) :yes:
 
Update! ..,........ :happydance:

Today I did all of my squats and the kneecap barely moved. It tried on two occasions, but it was very slight! :happydance:

Katie has been lifting my leg for the leg lift and having me hold it as long as possible, while she is tapping the inside muscle! That sucker is actually responding! My leg did not flop off to the side today, and Katie pointed out a blood vessel on the side that has developed. Yep, I am FINALLY starting to feel the Russian e-stim when they put it on the muscle! God has been so good to me! :happydance:
 
Vicki,

Yes, God the greatest physician of them all is healing me. I am so excited! :happydance:

Of course I wasn't very excited last night when I was up all night wring my last thesis and E-Portfolio! :heehee: I procrastinated on these assignments and got the last on in this morning with 5 minutes to spare! They were due at 8:00 a.m. Tick... Tick .... Tick. 7:55! :rotfl:

I have also been invited to join Alpha Chi! It is an honor society that inducts only the top 10% grade point average. This is a national society so I feel very honored!

I need to contact my undergrad school and ask if my invitation "got lost in the mail!" :rotfl:

Well..... Umm maybe not! I don't think they would stop laughing long enough to answer me! Let's just say I liked to have lots of fun, and school was an afterthought! :heehee:

Ii'm sure a lot of you are shocked by that statement! :shocked:

I am shy after all! :whistle:
 
Hello Everyone!

I am feeling pretty darned good! I have 9 more days off before school begins again, I am feeling so much better after the c-diff episode, and now the inside of the knee is starting to come to life!:happydance: Makes me feel like dancing! Of course, I don't have PT until tomorrow and I'm sure Katie will have new things in mind since some of the exercises are getting too easy! :heehee:
Ahh...... such is life!:rotfl:
 
Sonja,
Does Katie give dancing lessons too??
No..... She comes up with much more "interesting" forms of Physical Torture! :wink: The problem is it used to be that the treadmill gave me a cardiovascular workout, but not anymore. They won't up the intensity yet because we are still having a few "Capsie" problems! She sets it at 2.5mph for 15 minutes, and I try to up it to the 3.0. My body is used to that speed too, but it is at the limit right now on the knee cap. I walk with 55% of my weight taken off, so I feel pretty darned good! That's lighter than my goal weight now.

My personal trainer quit the place I was working out and moved to Crossfit. I have already talked to them, and when I am ready, they are going to do a modified workout for me! Katie is excited though, because I am moving mt training to T-Star! Felice, who has been rooting for me just like the rest of them is a personal trainer and so Katie and Felice are going to cooridinate my workouts! :)

Actually I think they are both excited about me being under their watchful eyes for PT and Personal Training!

They know how shy I am though, so it might be too much for me too handle! :heehee: or is it I am too much for them too handle? I think it must be the first one! :wink:
 
I just spent 5 minutes cleaning my screen Sonja, I thought I read where you posted that you are shy, my screen must be dirty or broken or something, because that just can't be a statement coming from you????????
 
Debbie,

You must have had a filthy screen, having to clean like that! You might want to have it checked for viruses if you think it's broken! Poor Debbie, I know how hard it is to keep things cleaned up with a knee replacement, but if it took you 15 minutes, we might need to call in those ladies from England that scrub people's houses from top to bottom, and announce to the world how many bacteria they have lurking! :happydance: :heehee:

I say this out of the upmost concern for your Hubby's and your health!

Signed,

"The Shy One" :whistle:
 
Jacky,

It is me. I am very shy, I just haven't found that side of me yet! I will get back to you when I do. But in the meantime,

I will call myself,

"The Shy One" :heehee:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom