Revision TKR Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3

Sonja, I am sorry to hear that you will not get to go on your trip :boohoo: but I am so happy to hear that you have chosen to take care of yourself :) . I am praying that your doc can figure out what is going on and get it resolved quickly. Hang in there, you must be felling very frustrated...
My Mother was a Nurse for 28 years. Last night after I called her she tossed and turned until she remembered a woman who had the same problem and was admitted to the hospital. The woman had a knee replaced, decided to go off of pain meds and substituted aspirin for them. She was taking them in larger quantities than recommended. Anyway, I have been taking 4 Motrin at a time and I am on Celebrex. Mom said get back on pain meds or take Tylenol in sensible :heehee: quantities and get off of Celebrex for a few days til this clears up!

I didn't think about those two when Maale asked if I was taking aspirin! :yikes:

When Amy calls today, I am sure they will say the same.

I think my hubby is going to take Mom to KC because she was going to back out! I still think I need to stay here, but by morning, all of the swelling could be gone. :heehee:
 
Oh my gosh, Sonja! You can't take Motrin and Celebrex together! No wonder you are bleeding!! Motrin is a blood thinner and Celebrex interacts with blood thinners to increase the effects. Celebrex is the equivalent of 800 mg of ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) in a time release form. You've been taking the equivalent of 1600 mg of ibuprofen at a time!! You need to let the doctor know what you've been doing. Meantime, I would take the Celebrex for inflammation, stop the Motrin, take tylenol for pain OR take what other pain meds you've been given. You need to let the laundry go to the dark side, and keep your feet off the floor! Keep those feet elevated and iced for the next few days except to use the bathroom. Breakfast in bed!! (And lunch and dinner)
 
Oh dear Sonja. I am afraid Janet is correct. Your poor tummy. The same is true for Mobic in case anyone out there is on that. Yes, car rides can be quite uncomfy for some time.

Last week I saw my friend who had knee replacement earlier this year. She was telling me she is taking EX Tylenol, as her ankles are acting up. I asked her if she took Tylenol with the rx-pain meds. She didn't know they had Tylenol in them too. I am not quite sure if she believed me either. : O
 
Holy, Moly Sonja! I've just been catching up on your post and OMG girl, easy up on yourself! You have so much on your plate that I can't imagine your body absorbing it all! Yes God is there to help you through the rough times, but please don't challenge yourself or him so much, something might give and you wouldn't want to see the results of that! You are a very strong person, but remember even the strong go down! Don't test fate! Be good to yourself and you can win it all!
Just say'n my BoneSmartie friend!:friends:
 
Hello Everyone!:)

Thank you for the great advice! I don't mind being scolded Jacky! It means you care! You should have heard my Mom this morning!:rotfl: It's a good thing that she has to drive 2 1/2 hours! Maybe by the time she gets here she will calm down!:heehee: I never knew that Motrin and Celebrex interact with each other, but I do now! Mom called me back and told me to get off of both of them for a while and then to go back on Celebrex when this mess clears up! Funny thing is I didn't take any Motrin yesterday, and they did a lymph edema treatment so my leg is already returning to normal size. The pictures i am attaching are from yesterday. My thigh, calf, and ankle are all the same size! The size of a balloon!:shocked: Janet, I couldn't understand why a few spots in my leg kept breaking open and bleeding. What would I do without my Bone Smart family and my mom?!:friends:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3
    040.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 214
  • [Bonesmart.org] Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3
    036.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 219
Ok, now that i am back on my post instead of Doglover's:rofsign:, sorry Doglover, I deleted my post I hope it worked. (No, I am not on drugs, but it seems like it.):heehee: I don't want to derail your thread. Anyway I was saying, since I am just sitting around now, with my leg propped up like a good girl,:wink: I thought I would post some pictures of my Breg Ice cooler. The hospital keeps these in stock for the people who are allergic to latex. This is the only one my leg has been able to stand! It is wonderful!
[Bonesmart.org] Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3 [Bonesmart.org] Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3 [Bonesmart.org] Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3
 
Sonja,

You seem to have really out done yourself this time. Please take it easy, a break, Don't do anything except eat and bathroom for a fe days please. We all care so very much,and besides Dr. Maale is not going to be very happy with you. I kmow God is on your side but you are really testing him now.
 
Sonja,

You seem to have really out done yourself this time. Please take it easy, a break, Don't do anything except eat and bathroom for a fe days please. We all care so very much,and besides Dr. Maale is not going to be very happy with you. I kmow God is on your side but you are really testing him now.

I know that I have made a big mistake and I am paying for it.:yikes: Thank you so much You are correct, Dr. Maale is not happy with me, and God would never want me to put myself in danger. This was a mistake because I simply didn't know about the reaction. (Believe me, I do now!):)
 
[Bonesmart.org] Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3
Shame, shame, shame on you! What are we going to do with you, Sonja? Please, please, please be more careful about EVERYTHING. YOU REALLY DO NOT WANT TO SCREW THIS RECOVERY UP!
[Bonesmart.org] Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3
Now here's a big hug---cause I know you must need you about now. Please TRY TO BE GOOD.
 
We are only so hard on you now because we have been rooting you through your ordeal for so long. We all have a stake in this now! Lol!!
 
Geez! I turn my back for a few mintues and all heck breaks loose! How are you doing? You better bet your mom's going to let you have it when she gets there. I'm sure it'll be good to have her around though. I take a medication I have to be very careful with as far as interactions with other drugs. The hospital almost killed me giving me Tramadol after surgery, good thing I knew I couldn't have it. I think it got past the pharmacy because it's not a common drug and I brought it with me since they didn't have any so it wasn't in the computer. But anyway, my point is there are lots of site to check for interactions between medicines. https://reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker ia good one. Whenever I get a new prescription I check with the pharmacist and usually look it up myself when I get home.
Please take care of youself. Whatever has to be done can wait till you're better. (You should see the dust bunnies here! and that's just for starters. I'll get to it one of these days.)
 
We are only so hard on you now because we have been rooting you through your ordeal for so long. We all have a stake in this now! Lol!!
My goodness! I am so humbled by all of the outpouring of caring from today! I haven't thought of it as being hard on me, believe me I have done enough of being hard on my body for .... Well at least a few days! :heehee: After all I can only "be good" for so long! :wink: After that I would ruin BJ's and I's reputations! Huh Judy! :rotfl:
 
Geez! I turn my back for a few mintues and all heck breaks loose! How are you doing? You better bet your mom's going to let you have it when she gets there. I'm sure it'll be good to have her around though. I take a medication I have to be very careful with as far as interactions with other drugs. The hospital almost killed me giving me Tramadol after surgery, good thing I knew I couldn't have it. I think it got past the pharmacy because it's not a common drug and I brought it with me since they didn't have any so it wasn't in the computer. But anyway, my point is there are lots of site to check for interactions between medicines. https://reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker ia good one. Whenever I get a new prescription I check with the pharmacist and usually look it up myself when I get home.
Please take care of youself. Whatever has to be done can wait till you're better. (You should see the dust bunnies here! and that's just for starters. I'll get to it one of these days.)
Thank you so much for the link! I looked up Celebrex and Motrin "just out of curiosity!" :heehee:
 
OH DEAR!!! I am glad that you figured out what the problem is. :yikes: Scarey though!!! NOW are you going to listen and put your leg up and ice, rest, elevate, ice, rest, elevate, ice, rest, elevate... ad nauseum???? :beg: Please take care of yourself!!! I care for you, as do the rest of the bonesmarties. And I have a hard enough time staying out of trouble without you dragging me in too. :heehee:
 
Hi Sonja,
Glad you got it sorted out! It must have been so scarey for you.

Like Morning Glory, I always check with my pharmacy when I get a new medication - they are very good about giving me literature about each new drug.

But, I can't help wondering why it is up to the patient to check. Doesn't some responsibility rest with the doctor who prescribed the medication in the first place? Doctors are supposed to know about which drugs cannot be taken with which other drugs and they should also warn the patient.

Best wishes anyway!

Celle
 
Celle, We get ourselves in trouble with the over the counter drugs, like Motrin or Tylenol, which the doctor or pharmacist doesn't know we might take. There are so many interactions, they can't possibly tell us all of them. I guess they are assuming we are taking what is prescribed and not making things up on our own! But this is a good lesson!
 
All,

Understanding all of the medications we take and their potential interactions is a shared pt/care giver responsibility. The care giver only is able to guide and help if he/she knows exactly what you are taking. If you don't tell them exactly what you are taking they can't help you avoid stupid mistakes. "Meds" includ " herbal" supplements and vitamins... everything has interactions... there is also a risk of doing damage to your kidneys and liver (depending on which organ clears the "drug") with large doses or frequent dosing.

Sonja, I have to say that the circumstances of the fall is what I'd think Dr is going to be most frustrated about. Medication misunderstandings are one thing...BUT.... There is NOTHING he can do for you If you keep making fall and injury risky behavior choices. What exactly was so important about the laundry that you were willing to risk a broken hip, femur, tibia or ankle for? This is a mom and a nurse talking.....No one can wrap you in bubble wrap, these sorts behavior and activity choices concern me, if you are not protective of your body and health the best anyone else will be able to do is try to repair the damages.

Please be more thoughtful in what and how you choose to do things from now on.

ChrisO
 
All,

Understanding all of the medications we take and their potential interactions is a shared pt/care giver responsibility. The care giver only is able to guide and help if he/she knows exactly what you are taking. If you don't tell them exactly what you are taking they can't help you avoid stupid mistakes. "Meds" includ " herbal" supplements and vitamins... everything has interactions... there is also a risk of doing damage to your kidneys and liver (depending on which organ clears the "drug") with large doses or frequent dosing.

Sonja, I have to say that the circumstances of the fall is what I'd think Dr is going to be most frustrated about. Medication misunderstandings are one thing...BUT.... There is NOTHING he can do for you If you keep making fall and injury risky behavior choices. What exactly was so important about the laundry that you were willing to risk a broken hip, femur, tibia or ankle for? This is a mom and a nurse talking.....No one can wrap you in bubble wrap, these sorts behavior and activity choices concern me, if you are not protective of your body and health the best anyone else will be able to do is try to repair the damages.

Please be more thoughtful in what and how you choose to do things from now on.

ChrisO
Chris, I did not fall! The crutches fell. the laundry fell, but luckily I did not. My Mom is also a nurse and she is here now reminding me of all of the things I SHOULD be doing! Don't worry, I am slowing down. I know what Dr. Maale would say if I did fall. Thank you so much for caring and I do appreciate it. I am cutting out the risky behavior choices as a matter of fact. My Mom and you must be sisters!:heehee: Seriously though, I realize that what has been given to me is a gift, and I am not going to take any more risky chances. This knee that Dr. Maale gave me is tremendous, but I must slow down and give it proper time to catch up.:thankyou:
 
Back
Top Bottom