Revision TKR Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3

Sonja, Love your new avatar. You look awesome, and I'm so sorry that foot is getting in your way. I know, though, that I will be seeing you, along with @RunA42K and my daughter at the finish line in January.

Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you.

Dorothy
 
Hello Everyone!

News update!

I got out of the shower, walked across the bathroom floor, got dressed, and headed for my shoes, when I suddenly remembered that I "needed" my crutches from the bathroom because I saw the walking boot! Now THAT is progress!:happydance:

@RunA42K ,

As soon as I am cleared, Abby and I are going to work on strengthening the muscles around the foot, and we will start with a couch to 5K program, quickly progressing, because of my cardio endurance to the program for a 1/2 K! I am so excited to see the light at the "end of the tunnel". I now know the "light" won't be after I wake up from surgery on my foot!:yahoo:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Abby had me doing the arm bike for 30 minutes today! The first 5 I went fast "on my own," the second set of 15 minutes, Abby had me climbing hills, increasing the angle 1 degree of slope each minute, and then finally, 10 minutes, she had me doing sprints! :bicycle1:I wasn't going fast enough though apparently, because I wasn't out of breath! She just kept upping the resistance until Tenacious Sonja broke out into a sweat!

Then we went to the abductor, adductor machines! I never realized how strong my legs have become! Abby kept upping the weight because it was so easy! When she got to 290, the highest on the machine, I was still able to pull my thighs together! On the adductor, I was able to push 230 with my knees and thighs!

I guess it's a good thing my parents schooled me in the "aspirin between the knees" at a young age! :0)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
No. It means it is looking like surgery will not be needed, but Dr. Maale is going to look at everything after the Doctor mentioned "bone sloughing off and dying." He wants to make sure it is/has healed like it is supposed to; the heavy boot is doing a real number on my knee. I am hoping that when I fly home, I will be able to give this boot and the other one to my hubby!

He is making a robot, w two right boots!

I have been selected to be a coach/mentor to people who are considering joint replacement therapy at the new Joint Care Clinic they are opening in my town! They have seen me working out at Mission Fitness, which is the health club that is an extension of this hospital, and they are amazed. They said I have so much to offer others!:happydance: I will do my best, and I am going to have BoneSmart business cards made up, so I can get the word out about our fantastic community!:loveshwr:
 
Well.....

Dr. Maale was NOT happy! He said that he was sending me to an ankle and foot specialist pronto! Boy do they move fast when he "snaps" his fingers! I am in the office of the most sought out surgeon in Dallas when it comes to the foot and ankle! I will post later the "rest of the story!"
 
Glad too hear you are seeing the best for you foot. Looking forward to hearing what is next.
This has gone on too long and you need answers.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
@RestAssured
Dear Sonja,
Just checking in on you :friends:I am glad you are seeing the best for your foot. I will
Say a prayer that you won't need surgery:angel:You will be a great inspiration & Mentor
For the new joint hospital :)
Have a wonderful Weekend,
Diana :loveshwr:
 
Ok, the short story of my visit to the foot doctor yesterday!:heehee:

1. Dr. Early is amazing! His office was packed, and they fit me in. Everyone was so nice.

2. Dr. Maale's x-rays were sent, and they took x-rays of me weight bearing. Maale's was non-weight bearing. His PA came in and spent a lot of time asking me about my pain level. When I told him 0, he just sat and stared at me. I said, the paperwork that I filled out didn't have a "zero" so I left it blank!:rotfl:

3. He asked me if I could move the foot around in different directions; and then had me do a series of rotations in every way a foot will move, asking each time about pain levels... Still 0! Then he had me push against his hand and pull as hard as I could to get free... Still 0.

4. He stopped and said "you do realize you have a "Jones fracture" don't you and that those are painful?!!! I replied, you do realize I have had knee replacements don't you and a revision, and this fracture had me believing for 2 weeks it was arthritis! It seems the words "Jones fracture" strikes fear into many (including me at one time) because it usually means surgery!

5. Dr. Early came in performed his own "tests", and told me it is definitely a Jones Fracture, but since I am not in pain, and they found that hard to believe but accepted it as I "rattled" happily about how soon I could get to training for my 1/2 marathon! I will be walking with the boot, no crutches or trike until Sept 4th, and then, he will see me again, to most likely let me back into my shoe and getting ready for my 1/2 marathon! @RunA42K
 
@RestAssured

Hi Sonja! I'm just back home from my long jaunt overseas, visiting family and doing other things. Jet-lagged to the max today, but it will improve! The cupboard is bare, so I have to go out this afternoon, to buy lots of lovely, fresh vegetables and fruit.

Congratulations on being chosen as a coach/mentor at the joint care clinic! :wowspring::dancy::spin:
See, we folks on BoneSmart are not the only ones who know you're so special!!

Thank you for the full update on the progress of your foot. So, no surgery then and you can put weight on your foot? That's good. Now, I know you, so don't you go overdoing it!! :no-fin:

I see my OS on Monday, for a pre-op visit and to confirm my anticipated theatre date (Sept. 19th) for my left TKR. I'm at the stage of wondering if I really need to do this - and then I get a reminder from the knee, when I can't do something I would really like to do.
 
Glad you are on the mend, out of pain, and on your way to the half marathon!

Yes yes yes!:happydance: So am I! Now Dr. Early did "trick" me though.... Which I thought was very clever of him!:eyebrows: He looked over at my trike and saw the crutches hanging on the handles and asked, "how much do you use those?" I replied "almost all the time!" He said, "well retire them and the trike, but the boot will be your best friend even when you are in your house!"

I had told him I went barefoot in the house. Might as well lay it out on the table after all....:wink:

So, no more of without the boot until Sept 4th except for swimming! I can do it; less than 2 weeks, 12 1/2 days, but who's counting, right?!! :happydance::rotfl:
 
Ok, now I know NO ONE would EVER accuse me of being a member of the #ODIC club; but even I might think twice about the Saturday I had!:snork:

1. Went to gym and swam like Nemo! Did a lot of water exercises, with an aqua belt, running, walking, sprinting etc.

2. Went to dinner with a friend and then we picked up her daughter.

3. Came up with the "bright" idea that we could lift HEAVY lawn mower into back of my suburban........:idea: Well.... It was a good idea if I had someone else besides me who could lift on their side anyway! My friend has a bad knee and the daughter is 10...... A recipe for disaster was in the making for sure!:heehee:

4. Lifting up my side while the daughter goes off dancing, and my friend is trying to get a better grip causes a heavy mower to tilt on its axis towards my GOOD foot! :bignono: Well, once the momentum started, there was no stopping it! The wheel landed squarely on the good foot, twisting my body under the mower. I landed on the asphalt with a thud, and felt sharp pain shoot through my good foot.

5. Mom and daughter used their adrenaline and got the mower off of me, as I lay there contemplating how to maneuver with 2 broken feet!:groan:

6. In summary of my momentous occasion, @Celle, as you said take it slowly, :rotfl:!
I saved my bad foot, it was up in the air like a beacon in the night! The other foot is going to be ok; no broken bones, but today, I am staying away from the gym and lawnmowers!:happydance:

By the way, I was just thinking, it is so wonderful that I don't even think about my KNEES anymore when deciding to do or not do something! They have become an "accepted" part of my body!!! :0)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom