Revision TKR Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3

Well Abby and I did lower body today!! Lots of weight machines to strengthen the knee even more including some we hadn't tried before! Abby set the first machine the one where you put your thighs on the inside of the pads and press out at 90. Well, I was "zipping" through that, so on the last set she had it raised all the way to 170!
The machine where you put your knees on the outside and press in was at 270, the highest amount on the machine!

This girl is going to have sore hips and thighs tomorrow!:rotfl:

I just hope they work in the pool tomorrow!:wink:
 
@RestAssured
Dear Sonja,
Are you trying to upstage my Warriors ? Have you considered cracking walnuts ?:rotfl:
I couldn't resist.....Your doing great, I'm sure you will be ready for 13 miles in January. :dancy:
Have fun :swim:Tomorrow,
Diana :walking::walking:
 
:wowspring:you are amazing - hope you don't need too much :ice: tonight - I think you deserve a pool day tomorrow :swim:
 
No, no need for ice!:happydance: I laid down for about 30 minutes and I am fine now! Ready to do upper body and rowing tomorrow! We had to change the plans, because Abby and I are going to have a "nutritional consult" right after my workout. I lost my papers in the move!:loveshwr:

By the way @RunA42K , my feet are slightly pronate, but not enough to be of concern. They said a neutral shoe would be best so they fit me in a Brook's size 10 w. I tried on the mediums in the store, but they were snug, so they are ordering the wide ones! They are going to be getting in Noka's in a few week's so I will find my fit and let you know!:yes!:
 
By the way @RunA42K , my feet are slightly pronate, but not enough to be of concern. They said a neutral shoe would be best so they fit me in a Brook's size 10 w. I tried on the mediums in the store, but they were snug, so they are ordering the wide ones! They are going to be getting in Noka's in a few week's so I will find my fit and let you know!:yes!:
Yay!!! So glad you went to get fitted Sonja...see those New Balance were all wrong for you! Which model Brooks? Glycerin, Ghost, Dyad? Those three are all neutral. Oh I am so happy you can try out some Hoka's in a couple of weeks. I'm very excited for you...no more IT Band problems with the right shoes. Tell Abby and Jill you want to get your 1/2 marathon pace down to 13:35 per mile by January!! How tall are you? I'm 5' 2"....I nay need to sneak in a bit of jogging if you are way taller than me!
 
Wow so much to know and learn about the proper fit of footwear. I see you (@RunA42K ) mentioned a type of athletic shoe that will help with IT band issues?
 
No no no! :bawl:

No jogging for you! I am 5'9 1/2 but with you being an expert at marathons, then I will be doing well just to keep up with you!:thud:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@JustmeT

As I found out you need to find a store that specializes in running. I was wearing New Balance and @RunA42K, caught that in my Christmas picture and noticed that they were built up on the inside. That meant they were pushing my foot outward or supinate, which was the opposite of what I needed. When I went to the running store today, they said I was slightly pronate, leaning inward, but hardly at all. So they fit me in neutral shoes which felt wonderful on my feet. They were medium width, and I almost kept them!:happydance: My feet have never fit in mediums before. We decided to order the wides for a little more room though. I am excited!:loveshwr:
 
I'm not sure which model but they are silver and have blue in the women's. It will take about 10 days to get them. @RunA42K
 
I'm not sure which model but they are silver and have blue in the women's. It will take about 10 days to get them. @RunA42K
They all have a model name, just like a car. A Chevrolet???? Ford ???? Brooks???? I'll be anxious to read what they put you in. Neutral to slight probation is great in a Hoka too!!
 
Wow so much to know and learn about the proper fit of footwear. I see you (@RunA42K ) mentioned a type of athletic shoe that will help with IT band issues?
@JustmeT, it's not that a certain shoe helps or does not help the IT Band, it's the proper model of various brands that will keep your ITBand healthy. Sonja was wearing a New Balance stability/ motion control shoe that pushed her to the outside, thus affecting her ITBand. She would have done getter in a neutral model of New Balance or another neutral shoe in almost any brand. Most all athletic shoe brands, Nike, New Balance, Brooks, Saucony, Asics, Mizuno, Adidas come in neutral models and stability models. You need to determine if you need neutral or stability then buy any brand in your correct category that is most comfortable to you! The best way to fine this information is to go to a running speciality store, NOT a big box store. Remember you don't have to be a runner to go to a running store, they are just as much for walkers too.
 
They all have a model name, just like a car. A Chevrolet???? Ford ???? Brooks???? I'll be anxious to read what they put you in. Neutral to slight probation is great in a Hoka too!!

All I remember is the word asics? on the side of the shoe. I could "run" by there and check! LOL:heehee:

I asked Abby about the 13:39 per mile and she thought that was a little fast. Oh well, I will just have to work hard and surprise her!:happydance: Ok, if my calculations are correct, we would come in under 3 hours by about 10 minutes. Correct me if I am way off!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Remember Sonja, I did the same 1/2 marathon in 2:47 at 9 months post op (first TKR) I didn't train for the 1/2 marathon...because I was busy recovering from a TKR :heehee::heehee::heehee::heehee::heehee:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My vote for post TKR run/walk shoes are the highly cushioned, zero drop shoes. They seem to ensure foot strike is mid or forward limiting impact to the knees. Altras, Hokas and a few other companies have targeted this fit.

I walked a steep, sandy, rocky route yesterday (13+m/half marathon range) w/3,000' climb...my shoes were great. Knees were fine. I was a traditional heel striker w/lots of pronation in my running years, but these shoes do change one's foot strike forward.
 
Interesting stuff...! I hike a rugged terrain when I can and I wear a New Balance hiking shoe...from the 1st moment I wore them they were comfotable and my knees didn't protest. Have no clue if they are neutral, mobility/balance or anything else, lol! I cannot wear most Nikes now, they were my favourite brand until now, seems like my foot isn't stable in most that I have tried in the past couple of years, so that affects me knees. I have tried many different models of them. I am waiting for a pair of Adidas x-trainers to come in now, to give them a try.
 
Remember Sonja, I did the same 1/2 marathon in 2:47 at 9 months post op (first TKR) I didn't train for the 1/2 marathon...because I was busy recovering from a TKR :heehee::heehee::heehee::heehee::heehee:
Remember, you are with a "former couch potato" that has never competed in a marathon in her life!:rotfl:
I will get my time down, as a matter of fact, Abby and I are discussing "fueling the body properly" today!
The shoes are the Brooks Ariel. I called and asked! So why would they put me in those?
 
Sonja, what a great, and challenging, goal you've set for yourself! A half marathon is a full accomplishment. Even the preparation should get an award! And you are right, it seems like such a short time ago that you were still struggling just to stabilize you knee and keep everything in place. You go, girl!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Interesting stuff...! I hike a rugged terrain when I can and I wear a New Balance hiking shoe...from the 1st moment I wore them they were comfotable and my knees didn't protest. Have no clue if they are neutral, mobility/balance or anything else, lol! I cannot wear most Nikes now, they were my favourite brand until now, seems like my foot isn't stable in most that I have tried in the past couple of years, so that affects me knees. I have tried many different models of them. I am waiting for a pair of Adidas x-trainers to come in now, to give them a try.
@JustmeT, people say that about Nike all of the time, or about Asics or Adidas or any brand. I hear it all day every day! Nike probably makes 500 different models of shoes...who knows which you had and tried. The key is going to a speciality store that sells the higher ends of the brands and 'knows' what they are selling so they can match up your foot with the right model. Be weary of cross trainers....because, cross trainers are not good for any one thing! They are NOT walking or running shoes, they are NOT hiking shoes nor basket ball or tennis shoes. Choose which activity best suits your athletic needs because no 'one' shoe can do it all. Get fitted, forget the big box self serve or shoes online!
 
Remember, you are with a "former couch potato" that has never competed in a marathon in her life!:rotfl:
I will get my time down, as a matter of fact, Abby and I are discussing "fueling the body properly" today!
The shoes are the Brooks Ariel. I called and asked! So why would they put me in those?
Now I'm confused, the Brooks Ariel is a motion control shoe for severe over pronators. In other words MAJOR stability. If they said you only mildly pronate, I'd never put you in that shoe. Call and ask them why....
 
Back
Top Bottom