Revision TKR Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3

I've been thinking about you. How are you feeling today?
Well, I wish I could say great, but I wouldn't be honest! I think I pulled the tendon yesterday, and it is going to take some time to adjust. My body isn't feeling great right now. Next Thursday, we are planning on going to a family reunion in Kansas City Ks. We are going to drive and it is a 12 hour trip one way! :scary: Pat told me last night that we would not go if my leg didn't get better. I hope it does; it is my Mom's side of the family and there are 4 girls and 1 boy. All still living, oldest is 78 and Mom is the youngest at 72. They are beginning to realize that they may not be all together for many more reunions. One of Mom's sisters is in the early stages of dementia.

So please pray for me and I will be doing the same! God bless you!
 
Ok, next Thursday gives you some time, that's good. I can see why you'd want to go, I wouldn't want to miss it either. Have you talked to anyone about what you should be doing? Any pain meds you can take?
I'll be praying for you as I'm sure others will be too. Think positive! I'm sure you'll make the trip and have a great time to boot!
 
I went to see Katie today to get advice. Her first question was have you called Dr. Maale? 2nd question have you called your primary physician? She measured my calf and said it was 2 cm bigger than the other and it was hot! I told her pain pills did not help and she wasn't surprised. She said it looks like an allergy but she is nodoctor! I have an appt. in the morning. I asked her if she was thinking possible DVT this far out from surgery, and she said she hoped not. Well me too!
 
Sonja, so sorry I missed your post yesterday. It sounds as if you may have pulled a muscle in your calf to me....since the pain is in your calf itself. Taking the pain meds and staying off it as much as possible are good. Have you tried some moist heat? Sometimes alternating heat and ice works.

You might also see about some massage for that muscle. Can Katie help you with that?

Can you recall any activity or movement you may have done to cause a muscle pull or cramp? If it is still really painful, you probably should have it checked out by your GP at a minimum. A call to Dr. Maale's office wouldn't hurt either.

Josephine;
 
Jamie, the only thing I can think of is when I unloaded all of the groceries yesterday. I might have twinged it going up the step in the garage but I don't remember!:umm: Katie reminded me that I have not been released from the crutches, even though I have been running around the house without the past few days. Believe me, my crutches aka lightening bolts are my best friends again!:heehee:
 
That very well could have been it, Sonja. If you twisted slightly as you were carrying that extra weight, it can cause problems for new knee. It's still delicate, you know!! Even though you were cleared for "exercising," anything involving additional weight needs to be monitored for a while. That's why people are sometimes limited to 10 pounds or some other weight to carry for a period of time. It takes a while for your muscles to be strong enough to handle the twists and torques you naturally do as you're carrying and moving things from place to place.
 
I have a problem I need help with! When I had my revision surgery, Dr. Maale shortened my quad muscle, shortened the tendon in the calf of the knee, and did a lateral release on the inside of the right knee. I have been working in PT and doing well, but something happened to my calf this evening and I don't know what I did to it! If I put any weight on it the pain is excruciating, and tears flood my eyes. I have tried icing, and even got the pain meds back out of the drawer but nothing is touching the pain!​
:yikes:​
Does anyone have any ideas?​
​

Sonja,

I am sorry to hear of this news. It is impossible for me to an "internet diagnosis," but here are a a couple of my thoughts. My inclination is always to rule out the "bad" things. Calf pain and swelling are typical of a DVT. I personally have a low threshold for ordering an ultrasound to look for a DVT. It's a painless study and gives very valuable information. Next I would consider infection (mostly given your history). It would be unusual for infection to present this way, but still in the thought process. Next would be a more typical mechanical source for the pain. This would include a simple low grade strain of the muscle versus a significant gostrocnemious muscle tear (or even a plantaris tendon rupture).

Either way I would recommend to have it checked out. I would inform your surgeon about this sudden change in your pain (I know I would want my patient to tell me). Good luck.

Orthodoc
 
Yes, i know, but when we have 105 degree days it is so hard to leave anything in the car! I know, I know. as an afterthought, I could have had them bag the items in small quantities, but then I would have felt like I could carry more bags. Sometimes I don't do what's in the best interest of my knee and I pay the price!:sigh:

When that happens, I have nobody to blame but myself, so I will just dust myself off go to doc to make sure it is OK, and head back to therapy tomorrow. I hope someone learns something from my moments of stubbornness since I obviously provide plenty of them to learn from!:)
 
Sonja,

I am sorry to hear of this news. It is impossible for me to an "internet diagnosis," but here are a a couple of my thoughts. My inclination is always to rule out the "bad" things. Calf pain and swelling are typical of a DVT. I personally have a low threshold for ordering an ultrasound to look for a DVT. It's a painless study and gives very valuable information. Next I would consider infection (mostly given your history). It would be unusual for infection to present this way, but still in the thought process. Next would be a more typical mechanical source for the pain. This would include a simple low grade strain of the muscle versus a significant gostrocnemious muscle tear (or even a plantaris tendon rupture).

Either way I would recommend to have it checked out. I would inform your surgeon about this sudden change in your pain (I know I would want my patient to tell me). Good luck.

Orthodoc

Thank you OrthoDoc!

Yes, Dr. Maale will be informed tomorrow. My primary physician is keeping in touch with him about anything that goes wrong. I was hoping to handle it "on my own" because I am just a little hardheaded, and you probably have one or two patients like that also!:heehee:
 
Sonja, how about using a luggage dolly or some other type of wheeled carrier to transport the groceries from the car to your kitchen. You could bungee cord a bin on the rack, fill it with bags and roll them...even up the steps.
 
Gosh Sonja,. you really are a princess when it comes to pushing the limits!!! I sincerely hope that the damage is muscle, pulled or otherwise, and you are certainly doing the right thing now getting to the core of the problem. I am sure that whatever it is you will be more than able to handle the consequences, and eagerly wait for the positive posts again. Just take it easier lady, and let your body do the talking, and not your eagerness to get better sooner rather than later. Later is good!!!
Take Care xxx:friends:
 
Sonja, how about using a luggage dolly or some other type of wheeled carrier to transport the groceries from the car to your kitchen. You could bungee cord a bin on the rack, fill it with bags and roll them...even up the steps.
Thanks Jamie! I have one of those sitting in my garage :doh: from my teaching days and I pass by it all the time! :wink:

I will definitely put it back into action!
 
Yesterday when Katie was looking at my leg she said it looked like I was allergic to something as she noticed the raised bumps. :umm:
That little bell should have gone off in my head as I have had this in the past but it did'nt! I see my PCP this morning and Pat and I are almost positive I have Cellulitis! :gaah: I had MRSA cellulitis before, and it presented itself a little differently! When I woke up this morning, I was barely able to touch my foot to the ground without screaming, and the blisters have increased in the calf. The redness worked its way around to the front of the ankle this morning, so I wouldn't be surprised if I am admitted to the hospital! :hairpulling:

Just what I needed huh?! I am going to call Maale's office as soon as they open to let them know. I would hate for the loop to get. Broken!
 
Looks like a long day is ahead for you. Your rash does sound like cellulitis, all the best, and good luck today.
 
I've had cellulitis before around my ankles, and its not pleasant, but it does clear up with treatment. Please get it seen to as soon as possible though Sonja, and take lots of care of that new knee. Wishing you a pain free weekend. xx:friends:
 
Well I have News!!!!!!!!!:yahoo:

This morning when I woke up the rash had all but disappeared from my calf and around my ankle!:egypdance: I still have a couple of bumps but after a long night of prayer, things got better!:beg: I am still a little sore in the calf but nothing like I was. My GP saw me today and sent me for a Doppler scan to rule out a DVT and it came back negative!:yes!: Dr. Maale is having Katie start back with the lymph edema treatments to get the swelling under control, plus I am icing it. The news couldn't be any better! A slightly pulled muscle that was hurting like the dickens!:heehee: Thanks to all of you for your support and especially to

Orthodoc and Jamie for your opinions! I really do appreciate it!
 
Great news Sonja, and what a relief, just goes to show what the power of prayer can do! xx:angel:
 
Aretha,

That is so true!
God has blessed me so many times and I am so grateful!:angel:
 
Back
Top Bottom