Revision TKR Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3

hmmm - too bad. One would think with all the exercising you've been through that little adhesion would have sat down, cried "uncle," and given up the ghost ages ago!
 
Oh believe me... They have me working on it and they are working on it! Some already came loose today! Not much remaining! :happydance:

Now, if anyone is interested in an exercise for your hamstrings :snork: try rolling your office chair across the carpet while you are seated! The only thing you are allowed to use is your heels! :heehee:
 
Sonja, Will this help me straighten my leg? I am desperate (I know patience) to get my leg straightened. It was not straight before surgery and it still is not but I really want to get rid of this limp before I go back to work. I have already tried it.......not very easy...:shrug: but not real painful either. I feel it a bit now after trying it. I do a whole lot to try to straighten it with no luck. :headbang:

Thank you for all the inspiration you offer to every single person on this forum. I have read much of your story and you have been through so much and still remain so positive. I wish for you all the happiness and continued healing in the world. :thankyou:
 
With straightening the leg? Well, it will build up your hamstrings. How are your quads doing? One thing they told me today is that I have to turn the HIP in not just the foot to walk straight and have better balance! :)
Thank you for the compliments! I have had a lot of support along the way from The BoneSmart community! I truly mean it when I say we are family! :friends:
 
crystals5, by straightened, do you mean your extension? I am new to your experience, so I apologize if you mean something else. I hope you don't mind my popping into your recovery! :ok: I was dealing with two forms of "straightening" myself before and after my replacements: not only the extension (for which my PT gave me great exercises), but I had severe valgus in both legs which my OS straightened out, but then I had to deal with the "stretching out of all those muscles and tendons on the outsides of both legs and attendant unbalance as they resisted having straight legs again!
 
RestAssured and NightQuilter Thank you for your quick responses. :) I appreciate it so much.

Sonja, I think my quads are okay. My measurement yesterday was 124 if that helps. My pt did mention something yesterday when I was doing laying down knee raises to straighten my hip. I hang my legs over bed while laying on stomach but can only do that for mere seconds before it hurts and put heel on towel while sitting on bed and tighten hamstrings and push knee down to straighten, again only for a few seconds before it hurts.

Lynn, I need all the help I can get so please pipe in anytime you have an idea or advice that might help. I guess I mean extension :shrug:. I'm new to all of these terms. I too have what I believe is called valgus. I have been slightly knock kneed and pigeon toed my entire life. My os told me before surgery he wasn't going to do much to straighten it but the replacement would do a lot and it sure has done a whole lot.

Everyone, even in the hospital right after surgery and my pt yesterday told me I am walking too fast and I am trying to correct that. I'm going back to work soon and really would like to not limp before I get back. I have limped so bad for so many years I can't count. At least 10 I'm sure so I am not as active as I was but my job is not sedentary in a casino as I walk all day no real sitting and when I'm on a transaction I walk very fast as I'm timed on it. I guess that's counted as some activity. When I wore a pedometer once I had walked about 7 miles at work in a day. I'm also working on stairs lol which looks pretty hysterical but I can work on that. thump thump

Thank you both so much.:thankyou: :ok:
 
Hi Pam - crystals5 - by my calculations, you are not even 2 months out and you are thinking of returning to work soon? If you read some of the articles in the library here, you will see the experts don't recommend going back so soon - especially if your job has you on your feet all day and amassing 7 miles a day! If you have any choice in the matter, try to hold off a couple extra weeks!

So we don't hijack Sonja's thread, share with us where we can find yours!:whistle:

Your exercises bring back many memories! :beg: Since extension is an issue, can you try the stomach lay a little further up on the edge of the bed until the leg/muscles relax a bit and then gradually move down slightly? The other one my PT had me do was leg extensions - laying on my back, using a strap under my foot, holding an end in each hand and keeping the knee straight, gradually lifting my leg and holding for 30 seconds. Obviously, check with your PT first. But since you had some valgus with some straightening during surgery, one other thing I tried (and my PT loved) was after stretching the hammies with the strap, I would cross the straight leg slightly over my body and hold it again for 30 seconds at a time. that would help stretch the muscles down the outside of the leg. I'd also stretch it to the outside because I had extensive tightness with my adductors & iliopsoas after my hips were replaced.

Good luck!!
 
No problem crystals5!

Going back to work as soon as you are is early but some people have to depending on what their employer says! NightQuilter, had some excellent suggestions! Try this and if you experience discomfort stop! Put a strip of tape on the floor to be your guide, or if you have tile follow the grout lines... Not always straight but will help! Then, concentrate turning your hip to where your foot is straight. Take a step, see if it is still straight, repeat. Before long you hopefully won't have to worry as it will become more natural. When I turn my hip and foot in, or straight, then I don't experience the pain. If toe is out so is hip. That's what your PT was trying to tell you most likely. I "walked like a penguin" for 7 years! It takes time for the mind to learn the "correct" way of walking! :)
 
Also, at under 8 weeks you are doing fantastic! Don't expect to suddenly not limp or whatever, when you have ONLY had surgery less than 8 weeks ago! Be kind to yourself! The walking will get better I promise! :happydance:
 
Well, Abby remembered that I had said I would have a picture taken doing planks! That is where you are in the push-up position, but you don't go down! Hold the pose for 30 sec, then 45, 45 and 45! If you are just starting out practice on a wall!
[Bonesmart.org] Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3
[Bonesmart.org] Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3
 
Sonja,
You my dear, look marvelous !!!!! So strong & healthy :happydance: I know what exercises you do :dancy:
Do you mind sharing what you eat to stay healthy ? :beg:
Sincerely,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
Well, lots of peanut M&M's just like you like! :rotfl:

Actually, I am trying to eat, at least cereal a fruit, and yogurt for breakfast! Then for lunch, I try to find something grilled, and eat fruit and veggies!

At dinner for instance, we ate pork loin, mixed veggies, and mashed potatoes w no butter but fat fee milk and water mixed together! I finished it off w a 100 calorie dole dark chocolate package of bananas!

Now that is how I ate when I lost 8 pounds in 5 days! I wasn't hungry and had the chocolate bananas to fill my sweet tooth!

Is everyday like that?! No, unfortunately, but I am drinking a lot of water, a little unsweetened tea, and no cokes of any kind, diet or not! :wink:
 
The other night I told my daughter to pick me up a large box of "good & plenty" she said she couldn't
Find them. I told her exactly where they were & that she didn't try hard enough :hissy: I was really mad :hairpulling:
Did you hear the news reports about a handful of nuts a day ?
I sure hope they included "WALNUTS" in that study :rotfl:
I don't drink nearly enough water ( to much coffee ) I am going to the gym with my daughter tomorrow, I will think
Of you while I am there.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family,
Sincerely,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
You are too funny! I don't imagine that your hubby would like to hear about walnuts either' :wink: I know my hubby wouldn't! :rotfl:

Actually though almonds are good for you, so downsize in the "nut" category and you will leave the warriors AND your hubby happy! :rotfl:

Have fun at the gym! My hubby and I are at our cabin for the weekend and Monday! Have a great Thanksgiving if I don't get to talk to you before then! :friends:

Oh and good for your daughter on not finding the Good and Plenty's! :whistle:

After all you are asking me about eating healthier! :thud: :rotfl:

By the way, my trainer Abby has read some of the posts, and when she sees that you are asking about healthy eating from me she will probably die laughing! :rotfl:

She asks me everyday what I have eaten, and I don't always make the best choices! A lot of my weight loss is due to two very caring trainers, who refuse to let a slip up become an avalanche! Abby and Felice are fantastic! :yahoo:
 
Back
Top Bottom