Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3

You're painting the walls and I can't even wash the dishes :loll: Sounds like you're doing great despite the infection. I am reading this with great interest. I've had two surgeries where they became infected and had a long healing time. I just hope it doesn't happen again when I get my knees done. I guess it just happens, no reason really. Just a bug in the hospital that lands and infects. Hope you have a great day with your Mom.

Oh I wanted to ask you how you lengthened your hamstring, (right?) was it from pt, doing too much? Or don't you know? Curious. And why did they shorten it? Is that a normal part of the surgery?
 
Well you are quite a lady Sonja, and who am I to tell you to go steady, one step at a time, when you seem to progress so much by taking full blown leaps, but be careful it doesn't trip you up, you are doing so damned well, and would absolutely hate anything to stand in your way of getting to that million dollar feeling!! :friends:
 
Within 5minutes I was clawing at the dressing with one hand and driving with the other. I managed accidentally pull the pic line out. When I called the home health network, they asked me if it was exposed to air and I replied, " does being covered by my shirt sleeve count?
Luckily I have finished all antibiotics, had all blood drawn that was needed. Dr. Maale likes to have them removed in his office usually though. I just saved him a step.

Did you measure the length of the catheter to make sure it was the same length as the one they inserted? You must have been pulling for some time because a picc line is usually fairly long. I'm very surprised that the home health network didn't seem concerned about you pulling it out on your own.
 
Did you measure the length of the catheter to make sure it was the same length as the one they inserted? You must have been pulling for some time because a picc line is usually fairly long. I'm very surprised that the home health network didn't seem concerned about you pulling it out on your own.

Hello Coachie! Oh yes they were concerned! :shocked: They called every doctor on the list and got hold of Dr. Maale's PA yesterday. He got back in touch with them today and asked for more information. It seems that the pic line had been coming out part of the way yesterday's first nurse was there. She said since I wasn't needing anymore antibiotics then they would leave it up to Dr. Maale .It was the loop I caught when I was clawing and driving! We can still see the welts and the outline of the tagaderm! They tried to get me to go to the ER but I refused! Why, when I see the doctor on Thursday? I have yhe pic line in a sterilized bag so he can test the tip for infection if he wants.
 
You're painting the walls and I can't even wash the dishes :loll: Sounds like you're doing great despite the infection. I am reading this with great interest. I've had two surgeries where they became infected and had a long healing time. I just hope it doesn't happen again when I get my knees done. I guess it just happens, no reason really. Just a bug in the hospital that lands and infects. Hope you have a great day with your Mom.

Oh I wanted to ask you how you lengthened your hamstring, (right?) was it from pt, doing too much? Or don't you know? Curious. And why did they shorten it? Is that a normal part of the surgery?

Hello!

I don't have an infection anymore! Dr. Maale put me on the 6 Week preventive antibiotic to make sure I would never have to deal with infection in the knee again! :yahoo: When you get your knee replaced, please find an OS that knows how to work with people who are prone to infections! Please don't just accept any OS! It is not about a bug landing and infecting you. It is more about you and your immune's system inability to fight off the infections. That's why I went to Dr. Maale. He specializes in infected knees!

My hamstring and the tendon stretched out because the bones kept popping out and the more they did the more lax the muscles and tendons became. :)


Thank you for your kind words and for following my post, I hope I have been able to help you.
 
Thanks so much for the info about doctors specializing in infections. Do they actually list that? How did you find such a specialist? I will add the infection question to my list, and put it at the top. Downside is I am allergic to a lot of antibiotics, must be why I do get those infections... :scratch:

I hope you are doing well!
 
Thanks so much for the info about doctors specializing in infections. Do they actually list that? How did you find such a specialist? I will add the infection question to my list, and put it at the top. Downside is I am allergic to a lot of antibiotics, must be why I do get those infections... :scratch:
Yes, the doctors who specialize in dealing with infections usually will put something in their bio or business profile to indicate that specialty. Since you're in Minnesota, you might look at the Mayo Clinic. If you find some surgeons who look like good possibilities, call their offices and ask.

Here is an article from the BoneSmart Library for you to read about infections:

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...tion-also-known-as-late-onset-infection.4868/

Sonja....I'm so happy you are okay. All I can say about this latest escapade is....
[Bonesmart.org] Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3
 
Jamie yes I am going to the Mayo clinic July 10th to see Dr. Simms. I will ask him about that, thanks! Very interesting link about infections. I do have to have some dental work done before the knees. ugh. There is so much to learn here, and so many helpful people.
:thankyou:
 
Thanks so much for the info about doctors specializing in infections. Do they actually list that? How did you find such a specialist? I will add the infection question to my list, and put it at the top. Downside is I am allergic to a lot of antibiotics, must be why I do get those infections... :scratch:

I hope you are doing well!
 
KayeKaye, MRSA infections are resistant to a lot of antibotics and on top of that I have allergies to several different antibotics anyway! You will need someone who knows what to do and how to handle a case like yours. What type of infection were you getting when you had surgery?
 
Yes, the doctors who specialize in dealing with infections usually will put something in their bio or business profile to indicate that specialty. Since you're in Minnesota, you might look at the Mayo Clinic. If you find some surgeons who look like good possibilities, call their offices and ask.

Here is an article from the BoneSmart Library for you to read about infections:

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...tion-also-known-as-late-onset-infection.4868/

Sonja....I'm so happy you are okay. All I can say about this latest escapade is....
[Bonesmart.org] Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3

What incident? :whistle: Remember that post was invisible to Jo and you! :heehee:
Today I see Dr. Maale and get to hear about all of my "mistakes!". When he looks at my arm where the tagaderm was though, I think he will understand, because the blisters still exist!

By the way, I am going to post a picture of myself at that age! That could have been me in that picture! :angel:
 
Sonja,

I am allergic to tegaderm also. In 24 hrs it will litterally east my flesh away. When they but in my nerve blok they used it when I informed then not to, came off 2 days later and it took longer for the wound from it to heal then my knee. Still have scars from it. I also can only use certain suture material when I had a picline (for different surgery) they used a type of plastic (this is a nono ) suture and I still have scars on my arm from that also, ate holes in my arm through all the flesh. I do know where you are coming from, when this happens to me it is a very intense burning that nothing (NO PAIN MED) will stop. Dr. Maale will understand.
 
Hello everyone! :)

I went to see the infection specialist and she said I was healthier than her and most of the population! She said from the first blood test to the last, everything was excellent!

Dr. Maale's nurse decided to give me a hard time and she joked with me about becoming an expert at removing pic lines! I told her it was an accident, and she said she knew and so did Dr. Maale. What a relief. Dr. Maale was smiling the whole time he saw me, and after seeing the x-rays from today, his smile broadened! He said I was looking extremely well, and he D/C the immobilizer brace forever! :yahoo:

God has truly blessed me and I am so thankful! I went to the inpatient rehab center to give out hugs today! I told them they mean the world to me, and now they have passed the torch off to a very capable "Killer" Katie! :heehee:
 
Wonderful news Sonja, Dr. Maale is certainly a miracle worker, Now the hard work starts with Killer Katie but I guess this is just another step in your recovery and I've no doubts that this is the start of great things for you.
Take care and hold on tight xxx :bicycle1:
 
What type of infection were you getting when you had surgery?

The first one was a Staph infection, is what they told me. It was when I had my cesarean. I knew one of the staples had pulled out but no one cared. They sent me and new baby home and later that night I was into a fever like crazy, hot and cold, rushed back to the hospital for another week. Then the cesarean was infected for three months until it finally closed, total bed rest.

The second one was my foot operation, that wound didn't close for 6 months but the doctor wouldn't confirm or tell me what it was. She was covering her but, I was not up on it and in sooooo much pain. I tried to switch doctors but when I went to them they would say she was a good doctor and a friend and refuse to see me again. My PT finally told me to stop taking so many Ibuprofen because she thought it impaired healing. The wound finally healed, but the foot has been painful since 2005 mostly due to Plantar fasciitis.

Just hope it doesn't happen again, but will discuss it with the Mayo doctor. I feel so much more empowered with what I have learned here from all you lovely people. That and I'm a lot older and not intimidated as easily. (I think I will copy this to my thread to keep tract of it, thank you for asking!)
:yay:
 
Wonderful news Sonja, Dr. Maale is certainly a miracle worker, Now the hard work starts with Killer Katie but I guess this is just another step in your recovery and I've no doubts that this is the start of great things for you.
Take care and hold on tight xxx :bicycle1:

Thank you Aretha! I'm wondering if it's me or Katie that should hold on tight though! I am ready to kick it up a notch and so is she, so I guess we will both be moving along! :bicycle1: :bicycle2: On the second bike, I am hoping that I don't crash along the way, but if I do,I will just get back up and get back to moving. I feel great!

Message to Jo and Jamie, yes I know, the knee is in control, yes I know the mantra, rest, ice, elevate, and some compression. I know if I need to I will take pain meds. I'm not sure if I left anything out on the angel side, but if I did, please send me an update! :angel: :whistle: :)
 
Sonja. I'm SO happy that you got the all-clear from Dr. M! And how fortunate for you to be working still with Killer Katie! She will help you tremendously. I know you're going to push your recovery, but I hope it's not by my much.


Talk to you someday soon.
 
Back
Top Bottom