Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3

I'm so happy for you, you are doing great! Finally!

Since you have dealt with infection I'm wondering if any of them started out with a pink spot near the incision. It starts by the last staple at the bottom. It was oozing some fluid for a few days. I went to the doctor, he said it was fine but gave me a week of antibiotic. Now the oozing has stopped but it's still bright pink and warm to the touch. I'm worried sick over this. I'm supposed to get my staples out Thursday. The in home PT does it, she's coming today and then coming on Wed to see how my leg looks and see if she thinks she sould call the doctor first.
 
"Takes one to know one".
I am so happy for you. You are finally moving forward and you deserve it girlfriend!
I wish I could dump the pain meds but my back is complicating my life...
I hope you continue to do well!
Sandy
 
I'm so happy for you, you are doing great! Finally!

Since you have dealt with infection I'm wondering if any of them started out with a pink spot near the incision. It starts by the last staple at the bottom. It was oozing some fluid for a few days. I went to the doctor, he said it was fine but gave me a week of antibiotic. Now the oozing has stopped but it's still bright pink and warm to the touch. I'm worried sick over this. I'm supposed to get my staples out Thursday. The in home PT does it, she's coming today and then coming on Wed to see how my leg looks and see if she thinks she sould call the doctor first.

Does it have an odor? Usually when it is infected you will notice an odor. Yours sounds like normal fluid that comes out. What color was the fluid? If it is clear or just blood,, that's normal. If it is yellowish or green and has an odor that's when the worrying should commence.:wink1: it sounds like your doctor was very proactive in his approach, and you shoul be fine. Hopefully the home health nurse will put you mind at ease.:friends:
 
"Takes one to know one".
I am so happy for you. You are finally moving forward and you deserve it girlfriend!
I wish I could dump the pain meds but my back is complicating my life...
I hope you continue to do well!
Sandy

Sandy,

I understand the agony of back pain! I had surgery in 2005 called miminally invasive surgery on my L-4 and L-5 because they were crushed. They had trapped my sciatic nerve between them!:hate-shocked:

The surgeon went in cleaned everything up and made a hole for the sciatic nerve to pass through! After that, no more back pain!:yahoo:
 
Hello Everyone!

Ok it is time for a little pity party! I couldn't understand why the tendon in my calf was getting so sore in PT until my husband and Mom both said "well you are working with a tendon that was shortened during surgery!:DOH:

I found out the hard way.:biggrin: Ok, enough of my pity party!:th_heehee:
 
Hi Sonja, Thanks for explaining about infection. The oozing stopped and the area is pink now. The staples come out Thursday and the nurse will come check it on Friday. I’m sure I’m ok, I just freak out every now and then.
I had back surgery also, mine was in 2000 on L5 – S1. I didn’t have back pain but wicked sciatica! My leg went numb and it all hit the fan. In the end I was lucky, no rods or screws and not much nerve damage.
We all deserve a little pity party now and then. I’m not sure what the shortened tendon means, a longer recovery time? Whatever it is I’m sure you’ll whip its butt!!
 
He had to shorten my tendon and my quad because he said I had stretched them out! Wow, first time I had ever heard of a doctor mentioning me and overdoing it as in stretching, in the same sentence!:hysterical:

He is really pleased with all the effort I had put in to be ready for surgery, now he is trying to find ways to slow me down! Ex. Immobilizer brace. Hasn't slowed me any, as I am pretty darned fast on crutches! LOL:biggrin: Like I said sometimes I forget I "need" crutches, like when I walked into PT yesterday! Thank God I remembered to put on the brace or I think I would have been in more trouble!:th_heehee:

I drove to my Mom"s house today, and found the one thing that can still bring me to tears; shifting that right foot from gas to brake quickly! OWWW!:cry4:

Other than that I still feel great!:biggrin:
 
Once your able to move it's hard to slow down. My husband was going out to the store today and I almost went with him but my thigh is still hurting and I was arfaid I'd push it too far. Once that's gone I can get rid of that walker. Yeah!

I'm so happy you're feeling so good. You sure have worked hard to get where you are.
 
Thank you so much Morning Glory!

Sometimes they say "the third times the charm!":biggrin:

Well, the way I look at it is life is grand no matter what! With each knee surgery I have improved from my beginning set of knees. Sure, the infection hit, but I knew the risks. I can tell you I feel the best I have felt in two years!

Life in terms of my health is great, God has been so good to me. There are times I find myself asking why God has extended so much mercy to me when there are people who are worse off than me!:prayer1:
 
Sonja, its because you are one of those special people, who continue to encourage and support those of us Bonesmarties that need it, whilst never losing your sense of humour, or you faith, that God will take care of you, and he has, so your faith has been rewarded.

You are an inspiration to many of us here on this website, who follow your recoveries with anticipation, and now class you as a good friend, and feel we are getting to know you well. Please continue to be the patient, positive person you are, as you are indeed one of Gods special angels on earth. You have faced so much in the last few years, so fingers crossed that its now your time to enjoy some quality life again.

Lots of love xxxx:friends:
 
Thank you so much Aretha!:friends:

I love your new avatar, you look positively radiant! :biggrin:

The knee is recovering very well from driving for four hours yesterday, so I am really feeling great!:dancy:

I am working on other areas in my life right now to bring them up to speed.

July 2nd I start back to school to continueworking towards my master's.:yahoo:

I am working on a plan to find a balance between school and marriage before I start this time. Working on my Master's is very time consuming, but my number one priority is my Husband, Pat.
Take care Aretha, I am so honored to have you as a friend!:friends:
 
Hello Everyone!:biggrin::biggrin:

I thought I would post some pictures of my recovery along the way to show you what an infection in the staple line looks like, and when it starts to clear up!:wink1:

Warning: This is a 3rd surgery staple line, so don't get anxious if you have never had a TKR before!:th_heehee:

The first one is infected where the steri strips are. A staple was found deeply embedded in that area!:hate-shocked:
The second one is early in the game and it is not infected!
The third one is on it's way to healing.:biggrin:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3
    206.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 227
  • [Bonesmart.org] Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3
    214.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 213
  • [Bonesmart.org] Story of My Knees by RestAssured: Pt 3
    231.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 210
Thanks for the pictures Sonja, they’re very helpful. I was a little concerned about what looks like a line of raised scabs right down the middle of the incision. They seemed to have come out after the PT left. The visiting nurse will be here tomorrow, I’m glad she’s coming to take a look. I think that will be the last I see here, I really don’t think I need a nurse. The PT checks my vitals when she comes 3 days a week, I think that’s sufficient.

That’s great you’re going for your Masters!! I wish I was that driven. I just want to get to Target. :loll:

Sounds like you have a good master plan going & it’ll work out great.:thumb:
 
Gosh, Sonja, doesn't really look that bad in any of the pics. I've seen some posted in the "Knee scar" thread that weren't infected that look a lot worse than yours. And with 3 surgeries, I think it looks awfully good (don't you just love the oxymoron:th_heehee:)?

You're doing amazingly well----and I'm just so happy for you. Take care, keep us posted, we care.
 
I agree with Judy, it doesn't look half bad. Mine (and I will post soon) looked far worse and it was a normal healing.

You are doing great, and its well on its way now to being af great knee!!!:friends:
 
Hello Everyone!

My Mom and I are painting the guest bathroom today. I went to PT earlier, and I must say I am tired! :sleep:

We might tackle the kitchen tomorrow if I can convince her to stay a few more days!:th_heehee:
 
Back
Top Bottom